June 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/04/09

Did you see Pres. Obama's speech to Muslims today? We'll play parts of it for you tonight. And we have reaction to his message from around the world.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nattada, Houston TX

What a sad story. What a poor kids. Hope they are and will be strong to keep going with their lifes.

June 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Martina Ilstad Germany

How can people do that to a family in a Beach house.All my minds with the kidsPolice have to find the killer.

June 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  3. Isabel, Brazil

Yes, angelina jolie!

June 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  4. Sylvia

Yes Yes We Can.... what a wonderdul speech the President made, i could felt it in the air, it felt like a burden have just been lifted from all the bad things that happens to the United States in the past 8 years... hope and pray that the best is yet to come !!!!

June 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Those poor children.They will be traumatized for sure.Not just for the loss of their parents,but to be in the same house that it happened in..I wonder if they will ever feel safe again..

June 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  6. James

Hello, everyone,good evening.From what I've heard sounded great as the new leader from a free nation and the reaction from people around the world.One of the topics I'm most interested in is the Israel and the Palestine dilemma.It would be amazing if the president within his first term resolve the issues between the two and live peacefully as neighbors.June 4 is a great day.

June 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Isabel, Brazil

Poor boy, 9 years old and already living so much suffering. May God protect him in all ways during his life

June 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  8. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Caitlan, if we forget history we are doomed to repeat it. We can move forward, but must always remember where we came from.

June 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  9. Miss J

How old are these kids who parents were murdered? (I just thought I missed that in the last few minutes)

June 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  10. roger

thank you Christine that was the best comment ive seen

June 4, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Lori from IL

How sad for those children and to think that not only were the parents killed, but she was pregnant. Never have understood how one person could murder another individual.....

June 4, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  12. Martin S. , Norway

Historical speech. Obama addressed issues witch are important even to Scandinavians, with a growing muslim population. Of course it does not change anything practical, that is not the point, cause it is only a speech. But Barack Obama shares a new mind set, a basic thought that has a pure and honest foundation in something as simple as reality. The situation that we are in now. And the hopes that we all share for our future – not as Christians and Muslims, but as humans.

June 4, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  13. Stella

Hey Anderson, Belated Happy Birthday. I am glad to see that President Obama did not use the word terror or terrorism in his speech. I find his speech to be fair, gentle but strong at the same time. He is our president and people are going to critize him, he can't please everyone. By the way, I love your show.

June 4, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  14. Adriana

Horrible crime in California...

June 4, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  15. Patrick, Rockville, MD

It great that everyone is talking about the speech. The reaction on this blog is proof that Americans and the West have learned something and are engaged in discussion and so are the people of the Muslim world. That is the effect intended by this brilliant speech. We are all tired of the Middle East "hogging" the state of international affairs when other areas desperately need attention. Its time to put this baby to sleep.

June 4, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  16. Michelle in L.A

Awe, she was pregnant; that so sucks. I hope they find the killer, give him life, and put him in a cell with the worst of the worst of killers and men that like to punk men.

June 4, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Randy

Hi All,

I believe the President's overture to the Muslim community will do more good than bad, and I don't think it should be called "apologetic" as some conservative pundits have termed it.

I would also like to express my sadness at the loss of David Carradine today...he might not have known it, but he really did influence alot of us that grew up in the 70's.

Randy

June 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  18. ahmed

quick slip there from AC ...he is still in Obama hangover.........

June 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

Crazy about the murders....Terrible how a little boy had to hide...

June 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The segment on Hitler was pretty relevant. I find much similarity between mainstream Muslims today and mainstream Germans in Hitler's time. In both cases, the 'extremists' were a small minority that only could operate with the passive consent of the majority.

June 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Leticia

@ Christine, I would love to have read your critiques of Bush's speeches...they must have been extensive considering the extreme lack of common sense, vocabulary and overall oratory skills.

June 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Minou, New York City

poor kids.

June 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Jan in Missouri

This was the most inspiriting, inspirational speech I've ever heard from a President. I give him an A for content; A for delivery; A for sensitivity; and A for vision. I'm as proud of him as I was ashamed of his predecessor. Good job, Barak Hussein Obama!

June 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Diane, CA

I really enjoyed President Obama's speech. I am so glad he did not use "Terrorist" or "terrorism" in his speech. He is so correct we have to try and get along with everyone. As a child I grew up with all nationalities in a beach community in California and the majority of people got along with one another. We were taught to treat people as we wished to be treated and everyone was welcome at our house.

We have to give President Obama a chance to now follow up on what he said in his speech. This will not be resolved overnight it is a start and we need to wait to see what happens next.

June 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  25. David Gergen

Hello everyone - So glad that you have helped to create an extended conversation here tonight about the President's speech. And I am also struck by the fact that while some of you are critical of one or another portion of the speech, the overwhelming majority are pleased and proud that an American president has spoken to the world in these new ways. It strengthens my hope that we can indeed find common ground among civilizations around the world.

June 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  26. starr formerly known as vincent

Panel discussion was excellent, thank you Anderson.

June 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Chris

Loved Pres Obama's speech. Gives me hope for possible peace in this world. So very tired of the years of hate, extremism, slaughter of innocents. Never thought I'd live to see this nation vote an African-American man President of the U.S. but it happened. Maybe the concept of some sort of peace in this world is not such an impossible dream.

June 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  28. Mary

Helo Anderson: Great Show, President Obamas address to the Muslims was brilliant, not other President would be able to do what he has done. President Obama will make this world a better world. He has compasion for others, he truly loves people and he is a child of God. What a Blessed Man. I trust him with my life and the life of all whom I hold dear to me.

And god bless you anderson.

June 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Cynthia, NC

What a horrific tragedy for those children to find their murdered parents.

June 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Michelle in L.A

Sad story, seems like some jealous man since multiple stab wounds. Seems personal. I do not say woman because I do not believe a woman could over power both of them.

I pray they had made arrangements for their children should something happen to them.

June 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  31. Paul Karfomenos

Good evening Anderson,

I think that Obama speech was good because he was saying that Muslims are not all what everyone has been thinking since 9/11. There are good and respected people in all cultures.

June 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  32. Andrew from CT

President Obama understands with respect comes real power. He understands that real respect is not gained at the tip of the sword, but unyielding desire to end conflict with an out-stretched hand. Real respect is not gained by suppressing the mistakes burned into history, but an acknowledgement of humanity and imperfections of in all of us. Real respect is gained through wisdom. Good luck, Mr. President!

June 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Alice

I was very proud to be an American today... beacuse of Our Presidents Speech. Excellant

June 4, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Jude, London

And I thought AC's comments on the speech was fair. The future's looking bright.

June 4, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Esma, what exactly do we have to make amends for? 9/11 was unprovoked. WE have nothing to be sorry about.

June 4, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  36. Doug

thats sad for the family that was murdered, dang thugs.

June 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Adams Asamoah, Toronto

A new day a new time for moderate muslims to take the President's speech as a new begining for Middle east peace and regaining a laudable reputation for Islam. Osama bin Ladin is hating the popularity and audiences to this type of speech because if well strategized it might reduce the recruitment effort of Bin Ladins group.
    Americans should celebrate this effort rather than criticize. Love for America is love for peace.

June 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  38. janghou

I think President Obama was born to be a leader. And he knew about both worlds (christians and muslims). In all honesty, I really admired him. I wish all leaders were like him. He is really worth emulating. To the rest of us, we should follow by his examples. He is truely a God sent.

June 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Bano in Las Vegas

Yes, the omission of the word terror is important. The respectful tone is extremely refreshing, it IS a big deal to Muslims. As he pointed out stereotypes on BOTH sides are only counterproductive and frankly bigoted.

June 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

oh my gosh!!! That's so horrible I hear parents killed by suspect! poor son saw him what he have done for them! My heart goes to their son.

June 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  41. annie - Indianapolis, IN

Love your panel. Christian Amanpour is great.
    I'm American-Iranian, I loved President Obama's speech, he was right on target. I agree with Christian, this is the beginning and now we have to see the action after this speech.
    I hope we see peace in Middle East, I hope people in Middle East start to trust us again. USA is a great country and we can change the world. I support Obama and I'm proud to say I'm an American.

June 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Such a terrible story. Those poor kids. I can't imagine what they are going through. I'll never understand what a person gains from taking the life of another person.

June 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i loved Obamas statement about freedom of religion being a requirement for people to be able to live in peace. religion has always been the root of conflict. a bunch of crusty old archaic morons are the ones who misuse religion for their own agendas.

June 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  44. canada from ally

thank you Obama, the world is a better place today because of you.

June 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  45. ahmed

great analysis by David Gergen........great show AC

June 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Cristy

Yhea, I mentioned a few months back that I was concerned about a president that is more pro muslim than pro Israel. I think that this speech was to win favor there in the middle east with the arab population, etc which is why he didn't use the word "terror" They may like Obama and the U.S. more now than when Bush was in the office. But what is Obama doing to protect Israel and about nuclear weapons? Asking Israel to stop building in the settlement areas is wrong and a 2 state solution isn't fair.

June 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  47. Allen G.

we keep hearing about the need for action re: Iran going forward. Let's not forget that in the realm of mutual interests Obama referred are implied many carrots – I wish we could get some deeper more specific discussion of how much easier life would be within Iran if their govt were able to trade openly w/ the US for instance

June 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Jude

Finally, a President that's making an actual effort to make peace in the Middle East. Or at least speaking about it.

June 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Isabel, Brazil

that scary story

June 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I think the speech was overall one sided. He told the Muslims what they wanted to hear, without calling them to action to do their part to end, yes, terrorism.

June 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |