June 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/04/09

Did you see Pres. Obama's speech to Muslims today? We'll play parts of it for you tonight. And we have reaction to his message from around the world.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on this evening.
    Pres. Obama's speech is a refreshing approach to the Muslim world.

June 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  2. Chukwuma Abel

I would like to say that president Barack Obama has really shown his great competence in redeeming America's Image before the arab world. This present tour will go a long way in reducing terrorism around the world.

June 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Anna W.

I believe a more realistic approach to the Israel-Palestine situation is extremely needed and welcome President Obama's words. This is what a true friend of Israel, not blinded by ideology or short-term emotional reactivity, should be doing all along.

June 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Sean B

I love Obama's style! He's diplomatic but firm. What a change from Bush.

And a belated happy birthday to Anderson!

June 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Minou, New York City

@ Ahmed: thanks for blogging again. interesting to hear what's happening on the ground from a person who lives there.

June 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Donald Tatem

I was so impressed with his speech this morning, He is a perfect representative for the United States.

June 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  7. starr formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & entire 360 team (Erica too)

Good evening fellow bloggers.

I got up and watched Pres. Obama's speech (4am)! It was good and seemed well received!! Here's hoping.

June 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Aparna Chandrashekaran, India

Mr.Obama's speech was perhaps the most awaited and watched speech in recent times after his address following his swearing in as a President. While it is obvious that people in the middle east or Asia were looking forward to hearing what he had to say, I am more curious to know what the average American felt about this speech?

June 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I think this was my favorite bit...that we don't want to lose our troops fighting overseas and that we would bring them home in a second if we knew that America was safe.

June 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Minou, New York City

I appreciate the President's sensibility to not lump the different Muslim cultures into one bloc. Bush never understood that.

June 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Sharon Hastings

Good evening bloggers and Happy day after your birthday Anderson. I think the President did an artful walk on a tightrope. At times I feel like a possible victim of too much hope, but there you have it. I'm so very weary of war, hate, death, bombs, and all that humans can wreak upon other humans. If only.

June 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  12. rohan

I beleave the president is doing the right thing. He is fighting hate and for peoples minds. Wars start first with hate. it is hate that start wars around the world. Both sides needs to stop fighting

June 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, everyone! Laptop crashed, so I'm a bit late...

From what I've seen of the speech so far, very strategic.

June 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  14. Mark - San Francisco

President's speech was excellent. I feel much better about our country with such an intelligent, thoughtful leader and hopefully our leader for the next 8 years.

June 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  15. Kathy from Wisconsin

It was a great speech and a good start to bridging the gap between the United States and the Muslin countries; however it will take a lot work. My son has been in Afghanistan and is going back in October , and one speech will not take care of this situation; the idealogy is very different from ours, and there are villagers and/or tribes in Afghanistan in far reaching provinces who do not know who the president of Afghanistan is, but I think we can get along. The people who are behind the terrorism are not typical Muslins, and it may not be possible to reach them.

June 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Sandra Robertson, GA

Good evening Anderson and Erica and David Gergen. President Obama's speech was inspiring. He is setting the stage to hopefully bring people of all nations together, in order to live in peace and bring about an end to suffering throughout the world.

June 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Cristy

I think they can work harder to find another home for displaced palestinians. Why can't they create settlements for them somewhere else besides Israel? Israel shouldn't have to give up more land for peace. Enough is enough.

June 4, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Ahmed Amr

Every single newspaper released in Cairo today is talking about the speech, mostly in a positive way, and even the most skeptical is only taking a cautious approach but no negativity so far, everyone knows president Obama now for talking to the muslim world, on the contrary to the past years where everyone knew president Bush for not doing so.
    Mr. Obama, you're a respectful person.

June 4, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Rikki, Fargo, ND

He's shocked that people are treating him like a criminal?...That's a little frightening, that he can't even fathom why people consider him a criminal...

June 4, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

he's shocked that people are treating him like a criminal...usually when you break the law you are a criminal...what's going through this man's head?

June 4, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Team 360 and Fellow Bloggers -

Enjoyed President Obama's speech today. Was very impressed with him making this bold move. Will be interesting to hear the panel's discussion. I feel that it will take some time to see what comes of the speech - we have to start somewhere and I commend President Obama for making the first move.

June 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Minou, New York City

hi erica..hope ur well..

June 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Phil from VA

I was reading some of the foreign newspapers. They are all positive. Ofcourse.. the repubs are complaining. what else is new?

June 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Obama referenced the need for a Palestinian state, but failed to say that it can't come as the result of the elimination of Israel as Hamas, the elected government of the Palestinians, demand.

June 4, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Cristy

I don't really think Israelis will like a 2 state solution. Isn't there any other solutions for the displaced Palestinians besides the areas that Israel has the title deed to? Can't they go somewhere else? Possibly other Middle Eastern areas.

June 4, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  26. ericacnn

hi, everyone, good to have you watching and blogging tonight

June 4, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  27. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! I thought this speech today was filled with the groundworks for building a cooperative future.Trust will have to be restored and small steps will build faith in that direction.I hope.

June 4, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  28. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

loving the combination of reports from across the mideast. way to go guys for the reactions from all places...

June 4, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  29. Van

Hope and fear go hand in hand.
    What scares me is that what if this "change" doesnt work?
    Then what must we do?
    Then what must we do?

June 4, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Caitlin - NY

As a young person, this speech gave me chills. I feel as if Obama is attempting to ignite a shift on earth... in thought, faith, trust and human relationships. I am hopeful...

June 4, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Minou, New York City

WHat a great speech! I the pres will let actions follow his words.

June 4, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  32. Rikki, Fargo, ND

The President really made some excellent points during his speech....and I know one speech wont fix everything overnight...but hopefully now the Muslim world will at least start thinking about working with the US...

June 4, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Esma

I spoke with as many of my Arab and/or Muslim friends and family members today, and the response to his speech was nothing but positive. We never thought we'd hear something like this in our lifetimes, and though we realize this is just a speech, it is such a breath of fresh air compared to "You're either with us or against us". My father told me he was so proud that I voted for Obama too (a gleeful moment for me). This is the closest speech we now have to the "I Have a Dream" speech, and although I wish it had come from and Arab or Muslim, I am more than satisfied with the speech. My hope is that this speech will create more speeches like it, and will generate the backlash to the extremism that we so desperately need.

June 4, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  34. Isabel, Brazil

Many criticized the President, finally, because he spoke on the themes like democracy, women's rights and religious freedom, but of the diffuse form. I do not agree. I think the tone was appropriate. Don't enter the house of others to scold anyone. In this case,he was diplomatic as some. Point to Pres. Obama. Point to the US.

June 4, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Dulcie - Denver

I've been looking forward to the show tonight. Busy day, what with a broken truck and a busy work day, so I wasn't able to check CNN during the day.

So far, the speech is really fabulous. Thanks for replaying parts of it for those unable to follow during the day.

June 4, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Cynthia, NC

Happy Thursday everyone!

President Obama gave an excellent speech this morning. I look forward to everyone's comments/remarks this evening.

Anderson….just finished watching Live with Regis & Kelly. You are just too funny when you co-host with Kelly. I was laughing out loud, especially at the white bridal gown comment

June 4, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Martina Ilstad Germany

All the Islamic world really have to do is trust President Obama.I think he makes a big step to the Islamic world.I know it will takes a long time,trust each other,but it is a really decision for peace!

June 4, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Aparna Chandrashekaran

President Obama has made a new beginning. American citizens need to rally behind their leader and show more respect to diverse cultures.

June 4, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Anna W.

Good evening, everyone. So very impressed with - and thankful for - Pres. Obama's speech. Very bold... unprecedentedly so. A true world leader if there ever was one.

June 4, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Michelle

President Obama gave an incredible speech in Cairo today.
    He is a courageous and bold thinker.

June 4, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Isabel, Brazil

President Obama spoke not word terrorism once, preferring, as a kind of exchange, the term extremism.

I think this was an effort by the President to take off an idea of the other in the sense that Islam and terror are not synonymous. It’s great.

June 4, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

Happy Thursday bloggers! 😀

June 4, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everybody!

June 4, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Esma

Hey everyone: Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, Eduardo Henri, all at AC360, the Tribe and all the bloggers!
    Ah, that speech!!! Loved it!!!!

June 4, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Jennifer - Michigan

Good evening, glad to be with you tonight.

June 4, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Good Evening bloggers!

June 4, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson and fellow evening conversationalists! Hope everyone had a good day!

I really enjoyed the President's speech today. I am looking forward to the CNN team's insight into the speech!

June 4, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Edurrado(Ed Henry) David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Our president Obama is great job his speech to muslim... I think he is doing right thing.

June 4, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Isabel, Brazil

Good evening Anderson!
    It’s good to see you!

Hi, friends, bloggers, 360 team, everyone …

June 4, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    You know,sleepless in Germany,so a really good reason to watch your show,listen you telling facts,so that i can make my own mind

June 4, 2009 at 10:00 pm |