[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/05/22/art.crime.beachfront.mom.jpg caption="Brock Husted was stabbed with his wife, Davina, who was four months pregnant." width=292 height=320]
Brock Husted was stabbed to death along with his wife and unborn child in their Ventura, California home on May 20th. His 9-year-old son saw the killer enter the home and discovered his parents’ bodies afterward. Now, more than two weeks later, the suspect and the motive seem to be a complete mystery. I spoke to Scott Husted, brother of victim Brock Husted, today in preparation for his interview on tonight’s AC360° Interview. These are not exact quotes but notes on our conversation that are given to Anderson to prepare for the interview.
– The case is as wide open as today as it was the day it happened. A lot of police work has been put into it so I don't want to say we're no closer but we have no idea as far as motive. The police as recently as this morning continue to conduct interviews and they have not given us any indication that they're getting close on the case at this point. We’re in contact with the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office daily.
– The kids are doing ok. How well can a kid do when their parents are taken from them and their living arrangements are disrupted? I don't want to say that they're doing well but they're doing as well as can be expected. They ask for their parents every day and express how much they miss them every day.
– The son was interviewed by police in trying to come up with a description. I can't elaborate on what may have been expressed by the child.
– If you were to ask me before this attack if I had any reason to believe that any attack, let alone a triple murder would be possible, I would tell you no. Afterwards, of course I, like many, are trying to take into consideration everything to consider what caused it. I can't think of any particular thing that would have come close to explain this happening. We're at the point of looking at minor traffic arguments where someone cut someone off. There's no business disputes, financial problems, no stalking that we know of, no bullying. And today a week and a half after, I'm not aware of anything establishing a motive.
– Our interest are of course first and foremost taking care of the kids and we're doing the best job possible. Second to that, we need people to heighten the sense of awareness and a big message needs to be put out there that someone knows who did it or the person who did could be watching. This is a triple murder investigation with death penalty ramifications and police are putting together a list of persons of interest. These people have to realize there's a difference between a co-conspirator versus someone offering info. The people that come forward with information often don't get charged. The people that don't come forward could face jail time.
– People are affected by this in California and elsewhere because they realize this could happen to anyone, anywhere.
Anderson Cooper goes beyond the headlines to tell stories from many points of view, so you can make up your own mind about the news. Tune in weeknights at 8 and 10 ET on CNN.
Questions or comments? Send an email
Want to know more? Go behind the scenes with