June 2nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 06/02/09

Tonight on 360°, we have breaking news on the crash of Air France Flight 447. Brazilian authorities say they've found the wreckage of the jet in the Atlantic Ocean. We'll have all the details in a live report.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

@Cynthia NC...I think the "Spiderman" guy needs new challenges because he is very talented and wants to keep achieving new "heights," so to speak.

June 2, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Rebekah

BARE HANDS!!??!?! agh! i'm so jealous of that spider-guy! haha i love climbing... rocks, trees, bleachers, things one should not climb, etc. great video of his climb tonite =]

anyway...
    evening Anderson and Erica and Randi!
    the weather looks quite nice wherever Anderson is right now... i'm jealous...

very tragic, controversial stories tonite... and great 360 coverage of them, as always

June 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  3. june

hello anderson what a tragedy the crash now its for the loved ones that are still here that we have to think about d ont you think from quebec canada

June 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Dawn T. - Pittsburgh

Excellent show Anderson. Keep up the good work. Although I would not have an abortion, I have never had to make that hard decision. That's why choice is important. Ultimately, a woman must reconcile her decision (and its consequences) with God (assuming she believes).

June 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Ok, Spiderman, seriously crazy! I can't even look over the 2nd floor balcony that my office in located on! And to have no backup if you fall! Crazy!

June 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

Spiderman should honestly just go ride some roller coasters at Cedar Point if he wants a rush....

June 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

What is Bo up to now!

June 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

I believe "Mother Nature" gives women a unique sense of what's right and wrong–what will work and what won't work and every decision, to have or not have an abortion, is a unique decision, relative to those circumstances.

June 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  9. paul orofino

Tears came to my eyes just now as I listened and watched that brave lady who chose to bring her deformed baby into the world rather than kill it. What an amazing woman she is. She has really affected me tonight and I will never forget her. She is remarkable to say the least.

June 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  10. Cecelia Mizzoni

What a brave mother... Little Angela was blessed to share those 12 precious hours with her family.. I am humbled by this story. .. thank you for sharing it with us..

June 2, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  11. Janet Schmittgen

Thank-you for interviewing Diane Elder about her decision to allow nature to take it's course and have her baby. Her courage and love came through on the interview. I very much appreciate that CNN will show different sides of these issues.

June 2, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Cynthia, NC

Spiderman......are you brave or just plain dumb......?

June 2, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  13. bill brady

Diane is not wrong and a woman who choses not to go through with a smiliar situation is not wrong. they both had a CHOICE that is the key

June 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Isabel, Brazil

without equipment ????? 😮

June 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  15. Rebecca, NY

Although I do not think I would have made the same decision as guest Diane E. I think she is very brave for putting herself/family/friends through what they went through. I believe choice is necassary and must be made by the individual and pending the specific case.

June 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  16. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The moment of conception is a life; therefore, no one should take a life at any time.

June 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  17. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

i have noticed a jump in car sales in my town, more and more people have new Yaris's.

June 2, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  18. David, Indiana

Dr. Carhart makes a point about how pregnancy is ordinarily so difficult that abortion is actually safer. That is important to consider. What is the law on late term abortion? Medical guidelines?

Diane Elder expresses something that is deeply responsible. These are feelings people have, not wanting to take life, not wanting to force something on someone.

June 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Miss J

I very happy that she decided not to have an abortion. I think abortion is wrong. Everyone deseveres to live. Its also sad that her child angela passed away only 12 hours old.

I'm sorry but I could not do that. If that makes me the devil, then so be it.

June 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Dulcie - Denver

I also deeply appreciate Ms. Elder's story. I think her story sort of makes the entire point about choice. Ms. Elder's choice was the right one for her and her family. I'm happy that they got to deal with the issue on their own terms and that it gave them a sense of peace.

Women need the freedom to make the right choice for themselves and their family. There really aren't any easy or universal answers here.

June 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Linda

Thank You Diane for your story. But again It Was Your Choice, the one you made, doesn't mean that other want to go through that for 4 months, you appear like emotionally you could handle it, maybe some women can't. Also no one knows, one one knows if the baby suffered, I pray that she didn't. I am glad your family made it through, but a woman with those medical issues have a right to decide whats best for them and their family.

June 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I still believe that every woman should have the right to choose.....

June 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  23. mac

very touching story about the women who decided to not have an abortion, obviously a very hard decision for her to make, and to also come on the show to talk about.

June 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  24. june

women should have the choise to choose what is best for herat that point of her life i did

June 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Miss J

Anderson did a great interview with Diane just now. I don't know how he can listen to that and not cry (altho he did look like he was going to cry for a minute there).

June 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Cynthia, NC

What a strong and amazing lady Ms Elder is. Such a moving story. I admire the path she took with her baby. Thank you Anderson for allowing her to share her story.

June 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Anthonia-california

June 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  28. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I like that line from Ms. Elder, 'If you are an advocate for life, how can you take someone else's life?'

June 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Isabel, Brazil

@ Anderson

The story is very sad ... control yourself not to cry because the tears are falling on my face

June 2, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  30. starr formerly known as vincent

I give the woman, who carried her non-viable pregnancy, a lot of credit for the courage it took to do that.

However, i think that many, many women would not be able to go through that experience without suffering extreme emtional turmoil.

June 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

this story really just makes me see why someone would want to die and not suffer....

wow....

June 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  32. Esma

I fully support Diane Elder's choice to keep her child because it's HER CHOICE. She's at peace with her decision, and that's what counts the most.

June 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Cynthia, NC

What a strong and amazing lady Ms Elder is. Just a moving story. I admire the path she took with her baby.

June 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Ms. Elder is very courageous to come on the show tonight and to share her story with us!

June 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  35. randy

i think that the lady who didnt have the abortion did what any good mother would want and that is to do the best for her child and atleast had the oppurtunity to hold her and name her i admire her courage and strength

June 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Kathy, Chicago

I had a son who only lived for twenty five days. He struggled to breathe and had tubes hanging out of his head chest arms and legs. I didn't have a choice, because he was one of three, but I can't believe that people would want to see their children suffer the way my child suffered. Women should be able to choose.

June 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Vickie

Thanks for telling the stories of both mothers and giving us both points of view. It just drives home the idea to me that it's the mothers/families choice and they should be allowed to make their own decision, either way.

June 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  38. Isabel, Brazil

The decision of abortion is something that must be responsible and necessary. Problems with the child or the mother is justifiable for an abortion, but abortion can not be a solution to unwanted pregnancy. Today, with so many resources contraceptives, this is unacceptable.

June 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Joseph

I think I'm anti-anti-abortion now.

June 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Surviving and quality of life are two completely different issues.

June 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  41. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

There are reasons for abortion which are not selfish reasons, but the ideal is to go through with the pregnancy.

June 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  42. Miss J

That Diane Elder story is so sad!

June 2, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  43. Sharon Hastings

Hello Anderson, bloggers, and all. Good job of examining all sides of the abortion issue. Let's not forget a man was murdered. How tragic. Everyone in America is entitled to their beliefs and to be heard but no one is entitled to kill someone who disagrees with them.

June 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  44. starr formerly known as vincent

God Bless Dr. Carhart for offering to take Dr. Tiller's place.

As the show demonstrated last night, there are reasonable/good reasons for late term abortions. It is Nonesense to believe that women would end a viable pregnancy without just cause.

The abortion issue has become too entangled with religion, politics, misinformation, etc.,

June 2, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Stewart Atkinson

If anti-abortion activists weren't so apt to back their views with religious opinions, I'd be a lot more willing to listen to their arguments.

Having an open discussing with anti-abortion activists almost always seems to bring up religious views.

June 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Dodie ~ California

The point being, women have been having abortions for thousands of years. It only has recently been done in a sterile environment. To make abortion illegal will Not stop abortions. Women will just have it in a back alley or in another country if they have the money!

June 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Rikki, Fargo, ND

This poor Dr. comes on this show to talk about what he does for a living and he seems to be getting attacked...I'm not pro-abortion but I do believe that every woman has the right to make that choice for herself.

June 2, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Isn't just about every 3rd trimester fetus able to survive even if delivered at the 6th month point? If so, other than for medical reasons they should not be permitted.

June 2, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Esma

Sometimes (more often than not, sadly), we find the more zealous of the Pro-Lifers only care about the fetus, not the actual child once he/she is born or the well-being of the child, mother, and the child’s living situation after he/she is born. Usually these are the same people who complain about their tax dollars being wasted on “welfare queens” and the like.

June 2, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Jane Barber

the ex wife is a very strong person and I admire her tenacity in coping with this awful event. Her life is forever changed as well as those of the doctor's family.

June 2, 2009 at 10:18 pm |