June 1st, 2009

Surveillance Video: Murder charge filed in would-be robbery

Take a look at this surveillance footage of a would-be Oklahoma City pharmacy robbery that resulted in a murder charge being filed against Jerome Ersland. More tonight on AC360° at 10 p.m. ET.

1. ronvan

When I read about this story I initially thought not guilty. After seeing the video I now have to agree that it does look like murder.

June 2, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  2. madisonkeesler

This was murder, period.

June 2, 2009 at 7:19 am |
  3. Mike

I think this is murder. If a robbery attempt was made on me i would not have calmly walked by the assailant grabbed another gun, camly walked back to him, reached down and shot him five more times. There was premeditation in this case. Now, if he shot the guy, chased the other out and then called the police it would, in my opinion, have been self defense. but the moment ersland picked up that second gun it became murder.

June 2, 2009 at 2:07 am |
  4. TJ

This case is sad because they are giving criminals protection from a person defending themselves. I feel the pharmacist went to far when he went back and shot the teen again. The first shot was purely justified in my mind but the second round was too much. I feel bad for the pharmacist but he needed to stop.

June 2, 2009 at 1:49 am |
  5. C.A.

It's murder – what degree I don't know. The first shot was self defense. After that, another crime took place. The pharmacist walked past the robber twice, both times with his back to him. When he took another gun out of his drawer and walked over to shoot him another five times it was a deliberate act.

June 2, 2009 at 12:11 am |
  6. Steve Lewis

I'm all for self defense. This video captures a murder. The pharmacist had a right to shoot the teen initially but to go and get a second gun and then shoot the young man 5 more times is senseless. There was no "split second" decision. He wanted to slay the teenage for pulling a gun on him.

June 1, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  7. Rick

It's disgusting that even a crime is caught on video, it's usually impossible to prosecute the criminal , yet a businessman recored on his own surveillance is being accused of commiting the crime while acting in self defense. He would've been better to have not had a surveillance camera.

June 1, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  8. dominic

going for the second gun make it him murder,cos the suspect is already be shot,he shoud ve call the polce than taking the law into his hand,by shooting to kill

June 1, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  9. Linda Sante'

The triumph of a surveillance camara exposes these unbelievable robbers and killers to a point to where I hope it reduces crime.

June 1, 2009 at 5:31 pm |