June 1st, 2009

Evening Buzz: Vanished at 35,000 Feet

A photo of the Airbus 330 that went missing over the Atlantic early Monday.

A photo of the Airbus 330 that went missing over the Atlantic early Monday.

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight, we have breaking news on the search for Air France Flight 447. The jet carrying 228 people, including two Americans, vanished and likely crashed into the Atlantic Ocean. We'll show you what seems to have happened in the last moments anyone heard from the cockpit. And, see what efforts are underway to find the Airbus A330 and those on board.

Plus, an abortion provider shot and killed at church. Who was Dr. George Tillman and who is the man suspected of killing him? Tonight we have the latest details. In tonight's 360° exclusive interview, hear from a woman who underwent a late-term abortion.

And, former Vice President Dick Cheney speaking out on same-sex marriage. He says it doesn't have "any problems" with gay and lesbian nuptials, but he says legalization should be up to the states. Is Cheney more progressive on this issue that Pres. Obama?

Also, today would have been Marilyn Monroe's 83rd birthday. Some never before seen photos of the actress have been released. It's tonight's shot.

Join us for all this and much more starting at 10pm ET.

See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Lampe

My prayers go out to all the families that are dealing with their loss. What I really find disgusting, is that we have become a Country, were people are no longer free to voice their beliefs, without being called "DISGUSTING".

June 2, 2009 at 11:29 am |
  2. ronvan

My thoughts & prayers for those lost. I was surprised, listening to TV that there are area's where planes cannot be seen on radar? With the technology we have today I would think that these area's could be covered somehow.
    Dick Cheney: A disgusting human being! Wish he would just go away.
    How can anyone support a group that OK's the murder of another human being just because they do not conform to their beleifs?

June 2, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  3. J.V.Hodgson

Airbus. Great sympathy to all the families that have lost someone. I hope it is found and is not another terrorist act.
    Abortion. The law and this crazed,horrible man should stay out of this matter. It is for the woman and the family concerned to decide and is equally up to Doctors and nurses to decide whether they can work for such establishments.
    Laws like DOMA and Roe vs Wade are the problem and should never have happened as they are driven by a religious ideology and religion has no place in politics per the constitution.
    Dick Cheney ,Gay civil union. Again this is all about religion entering politics ( it should not) I disagree that it is a state matter. These people are being discriminated against on religious grounds and thier civil rights given under the constitution are being withdrawn.
    I say ( personal idea only) they should have the right to a civil union license ( not a marriage License) and enjoy the same rights as Hetro sexual couples except:-
    1) Adoption unless the real parents consent to the adoption agencies.
    2) No invitro fertilisation, as thier relationship style is thier choice ( should be as well) and it takes a man and a woman to create a child not two women and two men.
    3) Women who turn gay after a Hetrosexual relationship divorce and have custody of a child, that's life.
    Gays were, are and always will be a minority, so what is the problem!
    If you think I'm gay, think again, I am not , and just do not undestand them at all. Shall we all be a little tolerant and love thy Neighbour?
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

June 2, 2009 at 4:29 am |
  4. Jenn

I witnessed the AeroMexico mid air cillosion back in the 80s over Cerritos and have been traumatized because of it. I still fly, but only because I have to. My son just got back from a school trip to England. I was so worried that this would happen on his flight. Everyone says it's an irrational fear, but for those who were lost on this flight it is a reality. I am so sad for everyone involved. It is a devastating loss. I hope that they are able to locate the plane and bring closure for all those grieving. My heart goes out to you.

I support marriage between two 'people'. You can't help who you love.
    Most of my favorite people are same sex couples.

I believe Abortion is the right of the mother. I personally am cautionary about how late is too late, but again that would be a personal choice and decision for me to make, not the government, and not the church. These Pro-Life people should practice what they preach and not commit 'murder'. My Aunt works at a clinic and I have sent several friends to her to hold their hands in their time of need. Abortion should not be used as a form of birth control. Take precautions if you are not ready to become a parent. Use condoms, take birth control pills, if an oops happens, catch it before it becomes the need for an Abortion, contact the clinic and get the morning after pill. It'll save you alot of pain and heartache having to make the life changing decision later to have or not have a child.

June 2, 2009 at 3:14 am |
  5. isabella

As a European Canadian citizen it is rather amusing to see politics enfold in the US: Cheney, a conservative republican in favour of gay marriage now that he is no longer in office. As always, opinions and beliefs are so much easier to follow when not in office. Rather hypocritical in my view and annoying. Politicians shall be politicians – honesty loses in favour of keeping the party happy – not the citizens that vote.

June 2, 2009 at 1:31 am |
  6. pedron

Very sad news about the missing Air France flight. Must be very hard to bear the loss of dear and near ones. Deepest Condolences to their families.

June 2, 2009 at 1:23 am |
  7. Clare

I am sure this has been noted, but there is an "island" 350 km off the north-east-east coast of Brazil where the plane lost contact called "Arquipelago de Fernando de Noronha". I hope this group of islands is included in the search. I am holding hope for this situation.

June 2, 2009 at 12:50 am |
  8. Pilot

An Airbus A330 is an advanced aircraft. It virtually flies itself by using computers. Many airlines in the US use this aircraft including Delta, Northwest, and US airways. I have Flown this aircraft and have sat in first class in this aircraft. It is a very smooth flight as all Airbus aircraft provide. There has been 8 other incidents involving this type of aircraft excluding Air France 447. Airbuses are more harder to fly than boeings. This aircraft is equivalent to a Boeing 767 or a Boeing 777. All 3 are long haul aircraft and hold many passengers. My heart goes out to the passengers, crew, family, and friends of Air France flight 447 with service from Rio de Janeiro (GIG) which never made it to its destination at Paris Charles de Gaulle International Airport (CDG). God Bless and Have a great month of June, July, and every other month after that.

June 1, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  9. Nanda

My sincere prayers. .I can only hope that somehow miraculously all on board r safe. .

June 1, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  10. daral

I know that people will travel but shouldn't passengers receive flight info on weather conditions and routes to be taken so that they could have the right to refuse certain flights and delay them until they feel conditions are safe?

June 1, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  11. debbie

The Tiller family have my sympathy.Please let God be the judge.

June 1, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  12. Bitter Clinger

Hey Conny, I support gay marriage but believe in Prop 8. It is a sad day for our country to hope that unelected judiciary should impose will not favored by a majority of citizens. If the gay lobby in America wants it over turned, do more to convince those opposed to see their opinion. Trashing Mormons and Christians will only force them to dig in their heels when mose really dont care

June 1, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  13. daral

if we believe in the Bible, there should not be a question if marriage is the right of everyone. God sanctioned this union for a man and a woman-period! if gay couples want to be together that is their choice, but should not have the right to be married in the name of God!

June 1, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  14. Caroline K

This is such a sad story! I hope they find it so that the families can have some peace and closure. I fear all are dead, as nothing has been sighted fromt the sky and no signals are being received from the plane. My heart goes out to all involved.

Keep up the good work Erica and Anderson and the entire CNN crew – you all are a credit to your profession!

Caroline

June 1, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  15. brandi

Two things i find funny
    1 neither the victim or the offender can have a baby
    2 The offender claims to be a christian but kills a man in a church

June 1, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  16. Bev

Like everyone who's heard about the missing Air France flight I'm hoping for a miracle.

I'm writing in response to your discussion regarding lightning strikes to a plane. The pictures shown are very dramatic and may be frightening to some. As a Flight Attendant I was onboard a plane that sustained a lightning strike, when it happened there was a loud booming noise heard throughout the cabin and the exterior of the plane was flashed with light as if by a massive flashbulb. Sustaining no injury to the plane we continued on to our destination.

While lightening may have played a part in the disappearance of the Air France flight it could also be a form of tornadic wind and or a water spout (like a tonado) . Whatever the cause of the disappearance, this must be an agonizing time for the families of the passengers and the flight crew, my thoughts and prayers are with them tonight.

June 1, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  17. Jeff Ke.

They will probably have to use ocean hydrophones or the NATO SOSUS systems to find the crash area by reviewing the tapes and listening for the impact. Loud explosions in the oceans can carry for hundreds and sometimes even thousands of miles....just like whale calls. By comparing the times and distances of when a noise is heard you can get a rough fix on where it may have hit the sea unless it was a controlled ditch which may mean there was not enough sound created to register. When the USS Halibut (U.S. nuclear fast attack submarine) was lost in the Atlantic in the 60's around the Azores it was found months later after a massive search of a area based on the noise recorded on a few hydrophones used primarily for ocean research.

June 1, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  18. Charlie Erickson

I know that it's early yet, and that there are a lot of options to explore, but I wonder if anyone has looked into the possibility of a "Positive Lightning" strike? Planes are (to my knowledge) not protected against, or are known to be able to survive a Positive Lightning strike. They are unbelievably powerful and can probably blow an aircraft to smithereens. They've only been recently discovered and are considered very rare, though how rare, I don't know. There was plenty of electrical storm activity, in the presumed area of the plane's disappearance.

Just a thought.

Charlie.

June 1, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  19. nimco

pepole have to the freedom to do want they want .not in a bad way . but dick cheney is right. same sex marriage is good for some pepole.oh and im 10

June 1, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  20. nimco

i feel sorry for the pepole .who have to go thourgh this and since i love watching CNN i hope they come out alive.

June 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Simone Issa

I really hope that the airbus is found very soon and the passengers. Maybe wishful thinking, but still.

These killings should stop!!! A woman has a right to decide for herself and with her doctor and her Family if abortion should take place or not.
    Nobody can feel what all those women are going through.

June 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Cathleen

I am shocked on a daily basis that equal protection under the law is not being applied in this country.

Marriage is a right for all- gay and straight alike.

How ironic will it be if Cheney is more progressive on this issue than Pres. Obama.

June 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  23. del rodrigues

Tam Airlines crew that left Paris earlier last night claims it saw fire on the Atlantic when entering the Brazilian air space. the coordinates has been given to the Brazilian Air Force that will be cntinuing to fly the area overnight.

June 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Ester Wilson

My family lives in Brazil and tonight pilots from TAM (air line) said on national tv that they saw fire on the ocean right where it is presumed the airplane from AirFrance disapeared. I am so sorry for the family members and my prayers are with them.

June 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Katrina

Hi everyone. What a tragic day for aviation, so devastating for all those families and their loved ones.. I always thought that you were above the weather at 35,000 feet! I guess I'm wrong about that? I had no idea that you could be affected by storms at that altitude!

June 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Rachel

I pray that the airbus is found in a timely manner, I pray that they are out there floating around waiting for help to come, and I pray for the families of the passengers that are on the plane. (2) I keep asking, why is Cheney on the news everyday, I believe he has personal reasons for his stand on same sex, which is fine and his right, is he the GOP hopeful??, .....from puzzled

June 1, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  27. Conny

My thoughts and prayers go to out to all of those family members who have lost a beloved friend, mother, father, brother, husband, wife, and sister in the Air France accident. It has been rather unexpected and let's hope that there are some remnants of the plane because it just seems highly unusual to disappear without any trace.

It is very unexpected to see that former Vice President Cheney is not against same-sex marriage. He always seemed distant and very conservative and I am glad that he has no problem with it. I hope that others will join us into accepting same-sex marriage. Although I am not gay, I think that there is nothing wrong with marrying that person that you love. Please, overturn Prop. 8!!!

June 1, 2009 at 9:58 pm |
  28. Annie Kate

Its easy for Cheney to be more progressive on same sex marriage now than when he was in office. He doesn't have to keep the conservatives in his party happy anymore.

Sounds like a good show tonight. I'm looking forward to the segments on the airplane that vanished and the abortion stories. See you then!

June 1, 2009 at 9:45 pm |
  29. Isabel, Brazil

Evening, Maureen!

What a day!

I'm still speechless with the disappearance of the aircraft of Air France, I'm lost trying to understand the GM bankrupt and I'm amazed how someone against abortion and on behalf of life, kills a person.

May God comforts in some way, the families of the passengers of the aircraft of Air France

In the list of passengers were: seven children, one baby, maestro, government officials of my state, several officials of Michelin, a couple who got married and traveled on the eve of honey moon, three Italians who saw deliver donations to victims of inundation in the South and more ... is very sad and disappointing

Difficult for everyone is continue of the routine of the embark in the next aircraft or we embark our relatives and friends in a aircraft in a day like this.

Difficult or impossible will remove the memory of the head of those who had their loved on the flight 447 and are suffering today, as it must have been suffered for those people affected by the loss of recent air tragedies they relive a day like this

Thanks!! A great week for you! 🙂