June 1st, 2009

Britain has talent, but who's doing the voting?

The finale came down to Susan Boyle and dance group Diversity, who will now perform for the Queen.

Jennifer Wolfe
CNN Entertainment Supervising producer

Anyone who saw Susan Boyle’s original audition for the show “Britain’s Got Talent” would say she managed something that is awfully difficult in this day and age, surprise.

She surprised the audience, the judges and any number of people along the way who couldn’t imagine such a powerful voice emanating from such an unassuming looking woman.

I was surprised again by the show, surprised by the ultimate winners.

The dance troupe “Diversity” took top spot, Susan Boyle a crowd favorite came in second.

Did you actually watch “Diversity” perform? It was like watching the high school cheerleading competition on ESPN2 this past Sunday.

Certainly tumbling and dance are skills. Choreographing the movements of 12 or so people takes talent, and it didn’t hurt “Diversity” to have two cute, well diverse, kids in the mix. But overall I just felt like I was back in the south watching halftime at a Friday night football game. Maybe because the U.S. is used to that kind of performance, we see it all on the time on our basketball courts and our football fields, it doesn’t seem, well “special.” It just seems pedestrian.

That’s why I was so surprised when Boyle came in second to some updated Solid Gold dancers with circa 1989 Janet Jackson “Rhythm Nation” jumpsuits and moves. Was it that Boyle simply lacked the hip factor? Or did Britain just need a good cheer team to bring the “boom-boom” to the room.

1. Lampe

I'm sorry but I think it was in poor taste for a bunch of kids who dance, to beat out a women, with a great voice like Susan. And really Robin , what does GWB have to do with any of this? I think it's time to forget avbout GWB, and focus on what The Dems are doing to ruin this Country!

June 2, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  2. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I can't beleive that Susan Boyle came in secon on Brititan's got talent show .Just beacause she was not hip or didn't look like a hip-hop star or fashionista it hurt her chances .I feel so sad for her I hope she gets a record deal evn though she is not he winner .

June 2, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  3. Melissa

While I agree that she had incredible talent, she also did something she shouldn't. She rehashed the first song she did and didn't present anything new. Completely unlike Diversity.

Its a bad move on a competition like this one.

Not to mention that she couldn't deal with the stress. If she had won, she wouldn't have been able to handle it.

June 2, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  4. Anna, HK

It could be that a lot of people thought that she would win anyway, & just didn't bother to call in their vote. The chances of her singing for the Queen in the future should be good anyhow.... popular talented singers seem to have this opportunity.

June 2, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  5. Robin

Diversity were also a crowd favourite. And we voted for them not because of the cute kids but the clever choreography executed well.

The idea that we voted for Diversity just because we didn't realise that even Americans kids can do so much better is ludicrous.

However famous Susan Boyle is in American due to the YouTube video, on the night – the night that mattered – others gave a better peformance – including two of the singers.

Anyway, you gave the world George Bush for eight years, don't complain about our voting.

June 2, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  6. ronvan

Must say that I agree with your comment. Hope that both do very well in their future, but my vote would have been for Boyle.

June 2, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  7. terry

I'm sure Queen E would rather watch n listen to Susan Boyle. I hope the queen will meet and hear Susan one day.

June 2, 2009 at 7:09 am |