May 29th, 2009

Morning Buzz: Are you Laodicean?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/US/05/28/national.spelling.bee/art.kavya.2009.gi.jpg caption="Kavya Shivashankar of Olathe, Kansas, reacts to winning the Scripps National Spelling Bee on Thursday night. "]

Penny Manis
AC360° Senior Producer

President Obama will announce the creation of a “cyber czar” to oversee the protection of our nation’s computer infrastructure. This person would coordinate the effort to protect government and private computer systems from hackers, criminal gangs, terrorists and spies.

The Department of Homeland Security says attacks on government and private computer networks went from approximately 4,000 four years ago, to more than 72,000 attacks last year. That's quite an increase-wow! We are thinking of booking a guest segment on the real threat to our nation’s computers and make sense of these numbers-stay tuned!

It’s another day, and another missile test in North Korea. Kim Jong Il’s regime has test fired a short-range missile from its east coast not too long ago-it’s the 6th test this week. This latest saber-rattling comes as a high-level US delegation heads to Asia, while the communist regime promises “self defense” if “provoked” by the United Nations.

Gary Tuchman follows a murder mystery at Harvard University-get this: A suspected drug dealer enters an ivy-league dormitory, an attempted robbery ensues, and the end result is a shootout leaving one person dead. At the center of this startling crime is a young woman named Chanequa N. Campbell, who will not be allowed to graduate with her class next week-steps her attorney believes are related to this on-campus killing.

This student believes she is being singled out for ‘looking different and being poor’. Her lawyer contends that if she were a Caucasian student, this probably wouldn’t have happened to her. Gary reports from Boston.

TGIF! Especially for one 13 year old named Kavya Shivashanker, our new national spelling bee champ. She nailed the title by spelling the word “Laodicean” last night, which means ‘lukewarm or indifferent in religion or politics’.

This is not a word that is familiar to those of us at CNN, as we deal with people who are the opposite on a daily basis! At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it for why this tween knows this word and most of us don’t!

See you at 10pet!

Filed under: Penny Manis • The Buzz
  1. Lisa in CA

Oh, yay. Another government office with lots of mid-level managers who accomplish pretty much nothing. And where are we getting the money to pay for the esteemed position of Cyber Czar (and all the staff that will entail)? This bank account is empty.

Consider me very laodicean on this topic. Actually not even laodicean but rather very, very cold in response.

May 29, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  2. Jeanette

according to Websters ninth new collegiate dictionary....which is old now,,,besides the biblical explanation also says ..."lukewarm or indifferent in religion or politics.

May 29, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  3. Isabel, Brazil

Good morning, Penny!
    Almost good afternoon!

I would like to know more about "cyber czar". I think that figure is vital today, when all are so technology. Even more with a President that loves your blackberry.

When we are using another language and even in our own language, all care is few, with the use of words. Even here in the blog in my comments, I feel a fear to commit any faux pas.

Unfortunately, we don't always have access to the etymology of words to learn their history, origin and explanation of the meaning of words by analyzing the elements that constitute it.

My dad was journalist and he always accustomed me to have a general dictionaries of the language and an etymological dictionary on desktop, although I am of the technological area.
    The most interesting is learning new words and uses them correctly.

Yes, TGIF!
    Weekend in sight!

Great post! Congratulations!!

May 29, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  4. Penny Howell

Revelation 3:14-22
    "And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write: These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
    Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white rainment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
    As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
    Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him and will sup with him and he with Me.
    To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame and am set down with My Father in His Throne.
    He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches."

May 29, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  5. Nefira Mada

Laodicean; pronounced "Lahow-dih-see-in" from the Latin, at least thats what the Oxford English Dictionary says...
    Its a cool word, Looks like a Tolkienesque Elvish name or something. LOL.

As for the student invlved with the killing, sorry to say she is more than likely right about how the school is treating her. I come from the public school system, and the Private school system, and they both treat you the same when you're different.

Like I have come acustomed to mensioning, Noth Korea is one of those countries that worries me least. Its the countries trying to police it, without first policing themselves that worry me much more. If lil Kim or whoever he is, is any kind of threat, I am the Pope! Its the 5 Nuclear Powers that freighten me most. It's their arrogance that will get us all, *humans* into some DEEP trouble in the next genration or so.

Department on Homeland stupids that want to play on Facebook and Myspace all day just like the teenagers of america, or infact perpetrate their own missteppings... They are all but stripping our most basic freedoms away, and noone sees it. Summer Reading for everyone! Please read the following even iff you vaguely remember reading it in High School!
    1; A Brave New World- by Aldous Huxley
    2; 1984 **the book is MUCH better than the lamesauce movie**
    3; Metomorphosis- by Franz Kafka
    4; The Giver- by Lois Lowry
    5. Night- by Elie Weisel *or is it Wiesel*
    and even a nice quick read...
    6. Number the Stars- by Lois Lowry
    Our world is only one bad step away from becoming the Giver, or a Brave new world.... One Step....

May 29, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  6. ScottChicago

Lay-oh-dih-SEE-en.

May 29, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  7. PJ

In the book of Revelations, He wrote letters to several churches, one of them being the church of Laodecia. He warned them of being lukewarm in their faith and urged them to change. There is more to it, but that's all I can recall of the top of my head this early in the a.m.

May 29, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  8. Alyzabeth

That's from the bible you heathens, lol! Hmmmm...may be a scandal in the making....did the Christians fix the competition so one of them would win?

May 29, 2009 at 9:51 am |
  9. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Good Morning Penny

Happy Friday ! I am in awe of the spelling bee champion Ladoicean i don't know what that means but any way i can't spell to save my life .As you have probloly seen from my typos on this blog oops !

@Penny Who is hosting the show tonight ? John King ?

Thanks for the buzz Michelle D.

May 29, 2009 at 9:45 am |
    • PENNY AC360 PRODUCER

@Michelle: It's John King again tonight!

May 29, 2009 at 9:51 am |
  10. Presley

“Laodicean”
    I can't even pronounce that...lay-oh-dee-shun?
    Well, I'm getting a bumper sticker with "Laodicean on Board".

p.s. My SpellCheck doesn't know this word either. It's giving me "Icelandic" as an alternative.

May 29, 2009 at 9:32 am |