May 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/29/09

Tonight on 360°, President Obama defending his pick for the U.S. Supreme Court. Judge Sonia Sotomayor is coming under fire for a comment she made back in 2001 that a Latina judge would often reach a better decision than a white male judge. The 32 words she shared back then could play a crucial role in her Senate confirmation hearing. We'll have the raw politics.

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

===

Here's how you can be a part of tonight's program. Just scroll down and share your thoughts on tonight's stories.

Want to know what we're covering tonight? LINK TO EVENING BUZZ

If you want to take part in our Live Blog (and we hope you do) please try to follow our rules.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (we don't like screaming)
3) Use your real name

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast during the commercials. LINK TO WEBCAST

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lori from IL

Getting close to that time -

John King - good to have you in the anchor chair this week - great job! (And I'm assuming you really weren't looking for an invite to the "undisclosed location!")

Have a good weekend Fellow Bloggers and Team 360 -

Until next week...peace....

Nice "Shot" who doesn't like a good love story.....

May 29, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  2. starr formerly known as vincent

Thank you John King for being a great host throughout the week! Thank you team 360 too. And good night as well. Have a great weekend!

Good night fellow bloggers, great chat as always. Have a great week end and will see you Monday.

Where is Anderson? Just because we love John does' not mean we don't miss him.

May 29, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Krasi, Houston, TX

81st anniversary!!! wow, my hope in human beings has been slightly restored 🙂

May 29, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night John, Erica, David G, Edurrado (Ed Henry) and my friend twitter/facebook bloggers!!!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    See you on Monday night!!!! (Anderson will be back on Monday)
    Day of the shot with old couple are amazing people!!!! I love the shot!!!! Great shot!

May 29, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Gary Greely

I think that Judge Sotomeyer will offer a different perspective both as a hispanic and a woman. I applaud her for realizing that all of the judges offer unique experiences that they bring to the bench.

May 29, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Krasi, Houston, TX

@Jasmine-Spokane, you don't have to. Congratulations on your graduation and good luck with college 🙂

May 29, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Daniel

They do have to chose their words carefully when you are talking about doing a better job than another race. It is a statement that cannot be taken any other way than what was said. The comment is what it is.

May 29, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

Have a great weekend peeps! Hopefully the sun will shine across this awesome country! 😀

May 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  9. Lori from IL

Thanks for not showing Phil Spector's mug shot - that was way too scarry when you showed it before!!!

May 29, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  10. Erika

Erica Hill...always on her A-Game. Love her!! She's been keeping John King on his toes, thats for sure. Which reminds me, where is Anderson?? I miss him.

May 29, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  11. Krasi, Houston, TX

@Gail, I agree. Unfortunately, when you are such a famous person, people tend to focus on all those missteps.

May 29, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Isabel, Brazil

Flu ... fifteen people have died! Gosh!

May 29, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  13. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Nice to see Prince Harry on this side of the pond!I think his mom would be proud of him.

May 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  14. starr formerly known as vincent

Love Prince Harry! Nice to see a "positive" report about him.

I think Princess Di would be proud.

May 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  15. gail

Harry is not given enough credit for the fact that he has fought in Afghanistan and did it voluntarily. He is a young man that has made some mistakes, but I admire him for fighting for his country. No need to redocument his missteps.

May 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Isabel, Brazil

Princess Diana would be so proud.

May 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow! Prince Harry came to NYC to visit!!!!! I am glad he put wreath on the fence of underground who perish since 2001.

May 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

@Krasi...yes, it just hits really close to home since I am graduating High school in a week. I don't want to end up in a mess like that.

May 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  19. starr formerly known as vincent

I feel for the parents of Amanda Knox, but have not heard much about the case. And of course, truly feel badly for the parents of the murdered room mate.

I remember the report when the murder happened, but have heard nothing since then. Looking forward to follow up from 360 in future.

May 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Isabel, Brazil

Beautiful tribute that shows the maturity of the Prince, today

May 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Lori from IL

Oh, no, Prince Harry's in NY! Erica, tell Jack Gray to hide the strobe light and fog machine! LOL

May 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Isabel, Brazil

@ Krasi, Houston, TX

It's true. I agree with you... "A girl died, someone needs to face the consequences"

May 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  23. LisaL - Canada

that must be so difficult for the family – with the daughter being in Italy – and the two-month summer break during her trial.

May 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  24. johnkingcnn

two surreal stories tonight in very different ways.

the la homeless cave is stunning ...

and that amanda knox case is like a racy novel -

May 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Dominic

Please note that a statue atop the Supreme Court building has a blindfolded woman holding the scales of justice. She's blindfolded for a reason, justice should know no bias. Empathy, skin color, gender, etc. shouldn't have a bearing on interpreting the law.

May 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Lori from IL

@Norman Simon - I agree with you completely - the Sumpreme Court has been too heavily white/male for too long - the court needs to change to reflect the times - as long as the individual being nominated holds the qualifications ...

May 29, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Joanne Griffith

I keep hearing over and over that Ms. Sotomayor is the daughter of "Puerto Rican immigrants." Puerto Rico is an American Territory and Puerto Ricans are American Citizens!

I have personally experienced and witnessed as a child of the 50's and 60's, discrimination by white males of women and minorities at the Ivy League university that I attended (Penn.) The criticism by the Republicans of this candidate as a racist and "activist judge" is ridiculous. All people view life throught their own life filter, as well as their training and education. That is why we need diversity on the Supreme Court in order to represent all the American people.

May 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  28. Isabel, Brazil

Poor father, must be terrible to see a daughter in such a situation!

May 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  29. Krasi, Houston, TX

@Jasmine-Spokane, parties gone wrong happen everywhere where there are college students. It's amazing how so many young people believe they are invincible and that nothing will ever happen to them. I really hope the truth about this case is uncovered. A girl died, someone needs to face the consequences.

May 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  30. ericacnn

great interview with amanda knox's dad here... really interesting

May 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I know the Knox so well, That is Knox where I live this city, I feel sorry her parents, my heart goes to them. I pray for them to strenght to heal.

May 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Lori from IL

@Greg in Austin, TX - it has long been my belief and experience that people around the world are more similar than different - and as individuals, people pretty much want the same things in life..... too often we associate people from other parts of the world, based on what we hear/know about a particular country/culture rather than as individuals trying to live the best life they know how -

That's one of the things I really enjoy about 360 - the reports from other countries, so we can learn and understand about other people and cultrues. Helps us understand how inter-connected we all are... and why situations such as Korea and the Taliban are not as easy to solve as we may think.

May 29, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Isabel, Brazil

Sad way to learn Italian

May 29, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Norman Simon

Good evening!

When the Judge said, "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life.", she was saying that we are the sum of our experiences and I surely agree to that premise. There is rarely one correct judgment pertaining to a specific law as it most often depends on the unique circumstances in the specific case. So, yes, if a case has to do with a certain minority, it should most likely help if one of the judges happens to be from that specific minority.

That is why I favor a healthy mix of judges on the Supreme Court representing as many views as possible in a diverse demography such as the United States of America.

Thank you!

May 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

The KNox story has been going on so much lately in the local news since it's so close to home....really scary how even abroad things still happen at college

May 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  36. David, Indiana

Yep that place underground is a wreck, several wrecks, rubbish everywhere. Wonder why anyone would live there.

"Brushing up on her Italian?" Probably a good idea when you're being tried for murder in Italy. A timeline of events is needed. That's a lot of facts in David Mattingly's report, but I'm having a hard time lining them up.

May 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Isabel, Brazil

I don't know a lot of events, but it is sad to see a couple with a promising future be involved in a crime. If she is guilty or not, she is losing too

May 29, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Brittaney

I wanted to comment on the Underworld discovered. I think it's ridiculous that they are cleaning it out. It is obviously a living quarters for people who cannot support themselves. It's not easy now a days to get a job. So maybe you people should start making more shelters for the homeless or create more jobs. For you to be taking away what they call home is just outrageous to me. I think it's rude and self-centered. How is it hurting anyone?

May 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Daniel

if every american would give just $1 (one Dollar) we could END Homelessness. Very sad to see. They need to be rehibilitated to get back on track. But I fear that before this is all over many of us some already are going to be very close to becoming Homeless. So many have lost their Homes already during this year.

May 29, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  40. Jacqueline, NY

the billions of dollars given to corporate head could ended such homelessness, but hey, priorities are priorities.

May 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

The only reason why I smile in court is because for me and my legal interests, it's a real life soap opera.

May 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Krasi, Houston, TX

Am I the only one finding it disturbing that the girl is smiling so much as she is entering the court? What's there to smile about?

May 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  43. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

honestly, i think there are more of these hidden caves. In fact I think the homeless are more rich than any of us. There really isn't money, it's based on hope, and imagination. The homeless rely on that.

May 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  44. Isabel, Brazil

A story full of contradictions, that so much remains to be clarified.

The interchange requires maturity. There are not parents who worry, just endless amounts of time and crowds of people, all in the same position and likely never again be seen again.

May 29, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Daniel

We as a nation need to do more in our own Country to help these homeless people living in these situations get back on track instead of giving billions to a country for AID and tell us its non of our business what they do with the money and to just keep giving more and not asking questions. What a sad story to see our own people suffering with out Food or Shelter.

May 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

Well glad for the markets being up today, best 3 month run since 2007, that's actually pretty good, as 2007 in terms of the Dow was good. Maybe there's some steady lift in the markets.

May 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Greg, Austin Tx

Fascinating report that CHRISTIANE AMANPOUR did last night from inside North Korea. All of a sudden we see .. they're real people just like us. Only, they don't seem to like us too much and their minds are all controlled by the government leaders.

May 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Lori from IL

Erica - enjoyed your interview with Secretary Albright - she has an interesting insight into the situation -

May 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  49. johnkingcnn

wow. that is a stunning cave paul just showed us. sad. but a reminder especially in a bad economy that the homeless problem is growing.

May 29, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh my gosh! That is terrible I saw underground really mess up!!!! I hope they will clean up the mess!

May 29, 2009 at 10:31 pm |