May 27th, 2009

The big gay chip on my shoulder

Rob Thomas
The Huffington Post

I am a straight man, with a big gay chip on my shoulder.

A while back on my Twitter page (yes, I know how ridiculous it sounds), I mentioned that, if I believed in the devil, Pat Robertson might be him.

Being a fairly liberal-leaning guy with either liberal friends or Republican and Christian friends who don't believe that being one has anything to do with the other, I was surprised at how many people took offense to what I had to say.

These people weren't friends of Mr. Robertson but friends, apparently, of God. They had "spoken" with him and he had assured them that he was no friend of the gays. He also told them that he loved America more than any other country and was a huge fan of Dancing With the Stars.

The small controversy or "Twitter-versy" (patent on phrase pending) all started when I had made the mistake of asking why two people of the same sex shouldn't be able to make the same life-long commitment and (more importantly) under the same god, as straight people. Why can't my gay friends be as happily married as my wife and I? It seemed simple to me, but let me start off by telling you a series of things that I believe to be true:

Read more...

1. Lance

there was a time in U.S. history when woman and blacks had no rights.....Our time will come! We just have to wait , I guess!
    It seems to me that The" Moral" people are always trying to keep some minority down, because they think they know whats right .
    I am so tired of defending myself to people because they would rather fight something they know nothing about , than educate themselves !
    I swear we won't recruit your children!
    Come on people ,We were born gay! Just like you were born straight!

August 27, 2009 at 10:37 am |
  2. jack

The straights are worried that, with a 52% divorce rate currently, the gays will be better at being married than they are...

June 4, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  3. Laurence Bruneau

I'm a straight woman, but I have gay friends and I support gay marriage.
    I have to say that that's one of the best article I have ever read! So many things we are thinking and saying but we don't see that many people having those arguments on tv or in newspapers, at least not as clearly.
    We have freedom of religion, so why not freedom of marriage? We are a civil state not a christian one. Religion doesn't make laws, it did in the Middle Age, do we really want to go back to that era?!
    I'm pretty sure our Founding Fathers will be in favor of gay marriage, nothing in the Constitution says otherwise!

May 27, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  4. Jonathan

So, why do they need to enter into a "marriage"?

May 27, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  5. Jonathan

Since the idea of insurance was revealed anyone could be designated as a "beneficiary".

May 27, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  6. mephillipsr

I am very disappointed in the California state legal system, I was pretty sure that the United States Constitution insured free and equal rights to every citizen of this country, I guess that’s everyone the majority accepts. Once again religious and personal freedoms are only free if you have enough votes.

May 27, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  7. Melissa Webb

This is another example of mixing religious beliefs with politics. Besides all of that rhetoric, we just need to do what is right and let gays, straights, atheists, Christians, or whatever get married if they want to. Love does not know religion, politics, gender or any other classification.

May 27, 2009 at 3:41 pm |