May 26th, 2009

Couple murdered; children left to wonder

____________________________________________________________________

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/05/22/art.crime.beachfront.mom.jpg caption="Davina Husted was stabbed to death with her husband on Wednesday, she was five months pregnant." width=292 height=320]

Gabriel Falcon
AC360° Writer

Authorities in California investigating the killings of a pregnant woman and her husband in a seaside gated community spent the weekend collecting evidence.

The Ventura County Sheriff's Office said multiple search warrants were involved, but would not reveal any information regarding where they were executed or what type of evidence was gathered.

The bodies of Davina and Brock Husted were found in their oceanfront home Wednesday evening. Police say the couple, both 42, were stabbed to death by an intruder. A knife, believed to be the murder weapon, was recovered at their home. Davina Husted was reportedly five months pregnant.

The couple's two children were home during the attack. The 9-year-old son was watching American Idol in the family room. Authorities say the boy saw the assailant in the house. The victims' 11-year-old daughter was sleeping upstairs at the time of the killings. Neither child was physically injured.

Authorities said they found no immediate indication that the crime was a robbery, and are not sure if the Husteds were targeted or if the homicides were a random act of violence. Police only have a very vague description of the suspect, describing the killer as a dark complexion male wearing a black motorcycle helmet.

The homicides, the first in years in Ventura County, have stunned Faria Beach, where the Husteds lived. The community is filled with multi-million dollars homes and cars that enter their enclave must first pass through an electronic security gate.

But the intruder, police say, entered through glass doors facing the beach, even though a high tide at that hour would have made getting to those doors a challenge.

Anyone with information should call the sheriff's Major Crimes Bureau at (805) 477-7000.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Crime & Punishment • Gabe Falcon
  1. Cherie

mercybrown: wow, I don't even know what to say to you. Are you just running around, posting that stupid comment on every single open comment page? As a previous poster said, your grammar, etc. show your intelligence.

Of course it is possible one of the children did it, it wouldn't be the first time. I doubt it was just jealousy if that's the case, although that too has happened.

I suspect it was someone known to one of them (it usually is statistically), or it IS possible dad killed mom and injured himself to LOOK innocent but died.

You never know until it all comes out...

May 26, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  2. Brad

This is somebody that the couple knew or was expecting, who perhaps was working with the "jealous child"

May 26, 2009 at 6:15 pm |
  3. Charm

Nillers, I live in a gated community and believe me, gated communities are not that hard to break in to. I think it's sad that people are automatically thinking the son could have done this. I'm sure during the investigation police would have found evidence that he was involved IF he was involved. Chances are he ran and hid when he saw the intruder. I know that's what I would want my son to do. As for the high tide theory, the intruder could have easily came to the home prior to high tide and waited outside until night fall.

May 26, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  4. deb

All children should be taught to dial 911. My 6 year old grandson knows how & he knows his address & our real names, not just "mommy" or "grandma."

May 26, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  5. Joanna

My condolences for the family especially the kids. You never know it could have been someone living in the same community... Just hope they find the killer so he can pay with death for what he did!! crime is wrong!!!

May 26, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  6. Mindi

Steve – who's Gus?

May 26, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  7. Alzaetia

Regarding the boy, yes, it would be the first time something like THIS has happened.
    It would be the first time a 9 year old boy stabbed two adults to death. Without hurting himself at all. When little kids kill their parents, it's with a gun.

May 26, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  8. Ms. Elfriede

Was the husband wounded as badly as his wife? He could have killed her and wounded him self more than he intended to.

Regarding the boy: Lets hope not, but unfortunatly it would not be the first time that happend.

May 26, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  9. Steve

I knew Gus from school, first of all no 9 year old has the power to stab both their parents without being stopped. Secondly, he was a very good person, and so was she. Please stop with the speculation, and call/hug a loved one. Thats what Gus would have wanted, and justice for his children.

I hope they catch the person who did this...

May 26, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  10. Sabrina

Thank you Lisa, you took the words right out of my mouth!
    I think rather than this little boy being thought of as the unimaginable, he is probably going through something a lot of us are lucky enough to never go through. These children need love and support rather than sick people pointing fingers...

May 26, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  11. Lisa

Nillers you are a nut job. I suppose a 9 year old would 1) Have the strength to stab his parents to death. 2) He would have the presence of mind to clean himself and all his clothing up afterward. 3) He wouldn't have been wounded himself. Stabbing is a bloody mess and when the blood starts the assailants often have hand slips and cut themselves on their own knives ......I think it's more likey the 9 year was watching American Idol. You do know that 9 year boys are built like 9 year girls, not the Hulk.

May 26, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  12. Pat

Sounds targeted to me. They should check husbands girlfriend and acquaintances.

May 26, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  13. Steve

Very disturbing and so sad. This is why my wife and I keep our doors and windows locked all the time these days. That some deranged or evil person can simply walk in from the street and kill has become a nightmarish reality. I know that area reasonably well. if it can happen there, it can happen anywhere.
    My heart goes out to the chidren...

May 26, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  14. Erin

Nillers,
    The kids were the first thought in my mind too.. 🙁 I know that sucks, but it has happened before.

May 26, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  15. Katie

Mercybrown, you are a really sad, and judging by your spelling and grammar, ignorant person. This article had nothing to do with gay marriage so keep your comments on topic, if that's possible for someone of your low intelligence.

May 26, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  16. Nillers

I just did a test, after I read this story I had a horrible thought and wondered if I was the only one to think that way. So I did a survey, I asked five other peopel to read the story and say the first thing taht came to their mind, guess what, they said what i was thinking, "this looks like the little boy killed his mom and dad, maybe he was jealous. Yes that is what i thought from reading this story. This is why...
    A. gated community, can't get in unless you live there
    B. high tide so getting back glass door would be a considerable issue
    C. someone swam, or roughed it to the glass door in a motorcycle helmet.
    D. one witness, who was watching Idol, youngest child
    E. Mom is 5 months pregnant.
    F. no immediate evidence of a robbery
    G. Murder weapon is still in the house.

I know it sounds horrid but it could be a possibility.

May 26, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  17. rivirivi

This is the reason why am planning to become a "vigilante" when I grow up (when am about 85 years old)

May 26, 2009 at 2:59 pm |
  18. graven

At first glance she looked exactly like the soccer mom by day escortby night that I believe is still missing wow cant remember which city

May 26, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  19. Tavesha Martin

This is just so sad. What kind of monster will do this to a family, it just breaks my heart to hear stories like this. My thoughts and prayers goes out to the children and the rest of the family.

May 26, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  20. Socal

Sadly that husband was seen San Luis Obispo a few months earlier with another woman 🙁 Not enough people are talking!!!!!!!

May 26, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  21. Muriel

This type of violence will continue, I'll ask GOD to have mercy on their souls and the souls of their children who are left behind....

May 26, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  22. mercybrown

The murderer is in human.

The person that did it , if found , should be hanged.

The heart of those innocents children will never let him be at rest. Until he brought to book.

May 26, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  23. mercybrown

gay marriage should be ban. Is an evil thing. The people practicising it are are the inferiority ones .

even if they win, we must not accept it .

May 26, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  24. Jeannette Laframboise

That is so very sad and so very tragic. Those poor children, their lives will never be the same. Hopefully they have some caring, nurturing family member to assist them through this. I can't believe the horrid things that go on in this world. Makes me want to hide out in the middle of no where, away from the craziness.

May 26, 2009 at 11:21 am |