May 22nd, 2009

Sound Off: Your comments 5/22/09

Editor's Note: AC360° feedback from Thursday night brought response on former VP Cheney’s speech, with most comments centered on his speaking out now after being silent during his eight years as Vice President. We also heard from viewers about Anderson’s interview with Liz Cheney - some thanked him for standing up to her while others felt he did not challenger her enough on her facts. “Extreme Challenges: The Next 100 Days” was popular with viewers, who expressed how much they enjoyed the lively, extended discussion as well as the hi-tech set. Read below some of what we heard, then tell us what you have to say:

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Why are we listening to Cheney speaking on national security when he took 5 military deferments to stay out of the service? He has no validity! Keep him off the airwaves. I will not be watching tonight…to listen to a failed VP with no power being propped up by his daughter.

Thank you, Anderson, for at least pressing Liz Cheney a bit on the Cheney’s' outrageous claims. I only wish you and your associates were harder on these people. As far as I am concerned, Dick Cheney is a criminal, and the media needs to call him on it. I honestly think he wants the country to be attacked just so he can say "I told you so". And what makes Liz Cheney an expert on national security anyway-when did she get her security clearance?

Thank you for having the courage to stand up to Cheney's daughter. She is as despicable as her father. I am SO happy and proud of president Obama. I hope the majority of the country continues to support him. Torture is wrong - there is no middle ground on it. I would rather die than have my life saved because of torture.

Okay now...wait a minute. We elected a President. His name is Barack Obama. Dick Cheney is a private citizen, as is his daughter. Why should they be given air time to criticize a sitting President's policies? No matter how much he pontificates, Cheney will never be able to justify the abysmal conduct of the Bush administration (in which he was a prime player). In a just world, he would be put on trial and there he could talk endlessly about how wonderful those torture techniques were and then they could cart him off to the funny farm for an extended stay.

Dick Cheney holds no elective office, and the policies he espouses were repudiated by the American people in the last election. So why is his speech on national security given equal weight with that of the President of the United States? And why in the world was his daughter invited to the program to speak on his behalf?

I so totally loved the panel and format of the discussion with Fareed, Christiane, Michael and David! The clean, yet hi-tech set with the black backgrounds make for very appealing visuals. The level of conversation was so refreshing as was the extended duration, allowing for highly intelligent and legitimate opinion and experience to be shared and disseminated ... I LOVE this. I hope you plan on using this format in the future.

Filed under: Behind The Scenes
  1. Susan

I thought Anderson's conversation with Liz Cheney was great. Their back and forth conversation was smart, fair, cival and lively, with both able to get their points accross to us as viewers. I quite enjoyed it.

Thanks !!!!!!

May 22, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  2. Monika

I have an idea how to make the Cheneys go away quickly: Someone should make them volunteer to be subjected to their oh so precious "enhanced interrogation techniques". That should do the trick. In the meantime, PLEASE keep them off the air!!!!!!!!!!

May 22, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  3. Diane Oliva

Your Liz Cheney interview was great. For a while you looked as though you were anticipating getting bitten by a shark. But you kept on challenging her and it was wonderful. The Cheney family obviously believes in dictatorships. The best was when she said it was irresponsible for you to ask a certain question. We are only suppose to ask the questions that the Cheney's want. They will change the question if they must to suit them. For one brief shinning moment you reminded me of my favorite, Tim Russert, who wouldn't let up on his questions to seek the truth. You were on the money with this one. Now can we get on to other things. The Cheney's are no longer elected officials and should not be taking up TV time or my time or your time. They are a distruption and they do nothing but lie. At what point is undermining the government with propaganda and lies considered "treason". The Cheney's and the republicans that only want to disrupt the government of the US through lies and distortions are treasonous or at least "UnAmerican". The leading spokes people for the republican party have all become liers. The public is no longer fooled by them. Its time for the Media to stop with the sensationalism and perform a service of bringing truthful information to the public...not continuous lies – the same kind over and over again. The liers only appeal to dumb audiences...that will believe anything their republican party tells them. Lets hear from Colon Powell, Gates and all the intellectual truth tellers....real republican statesman, men of dignity and substance. What has been done to Colon Powell is criminal. He is a great man. I am a democrat but like and admire many fine republicans and want then to continue to be involved with my government. I would have voted for Colon Powell for president if he ever were to run.

May 22, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  4. Theresa

I am disgusted with Slick Cheney and his daughter. It is amazing that he seemed to not want to open his mouth while in office. In fact I often wondered if he could speak. He always had that nasty smirk. Now we know what was behind that smirk. We also know who was really in charge at the White House. He feels that his toes are being stepped on and he is justifying what was done in the name of our safety. What he did and condoned being done while in the White House was brutal and his daughter is made of the same stuff. How did she get a job at the Sec of State's Office. What qualifications dis she have. She seems very practiced on what her father espouses, but has little thoughts on her own. Why don't they just go home and sit in the shade like Bush and Laura. Hey Dick and little Dickette, know when to fold em.

May 22, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  5. earle,florida

Perhaps she has,"illusions of grandeur" like Palin,to become our next president? Who knows, but the "Shadow"!

May 22, 2009 at 11:08 am |
  6. Jeff Cannon

Anderson,

I am nervously watching a marriage here of the press and Obama. Obama seems to me to be bit of a socialist and someone that has some plans for this country that run contrary to the founding documents. Call me a skeptic but this is what I see.
    We need a press that is not on the side of one political party or the other.

May 22, 2009 at 10:40 am |