May 22nd, 2009

Ridge: Disappointed in Obama

Former Bush Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge tells John King that Pres. Obama is looking backward, not forward.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Raw Politics
  1. Deb

Mike in Syracuse writes...
    Obama’s central message in the campaign was change and looking toward the future, yet he uses every opportunity to bash the last administration. A true leader doesn’t blame others for HIS problems. Yes, they ARE HIS. There were at noon on Jan. 20th.
    -------
    You're right Mike...they're his problems, but not his mess. Unfortunately he inherited a mess that was 8 years in the making. Can ALWAYS tell a republican by what they omit, the lies they tell and the way they always want to rewrite history.

It ain't workin' Mike...but you're allowed to keep tryin...it is America after all....

May 26, 2009 at 12:22 am |
  2. Jeanne Rhodes

Give me a break! Tom Ridge can't say anything and be credible. What did he ever do that was constructive when he served in Washington?

May 25, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  3. Mike

Christian is so right on. Cheney is fear mongering. Using "fear" as a way to justify his actions. All President Obama is doing is 'saying' he wants to shut down Gitmo. Because it has become a bad scar on our national image. Cheney, if you would just keep quiet, Obama is trying to help you save face, but you don't have the intelligence to see it. He's got your back, but you are blinded by your own political ignorance. I still love so many things Cheney has done. But he is only bringing to light more of what he did wrong then right. This is a new America. Until the powers that be in the GOP realize that, they will keep being the minority. We need a two strong parties. We need balance. But the GOP has yet to find a way to accept and integrate all the wonderful things the Dems have discovered that touch and resonate with the public. As far as I am concerned, it can stay that way as I have yet to hear anything from the GOP that seems in touch with the American public, and "Sincere". The Dems are in power but yet they have found a sincere and truthful and common sense message which most Americans are proud of. None of this matters in comparison to the fact, God granted us Obama, someone who is in touch with the public. We have not had that since Clinton. Or Reagan. Obama is the new and fresh and the truth. He is what Reagan was except that the Trickle Down does not work in 2009. It did then, but not now. I just hope he gets plenty of rest. He has got 8 years of problems to deal with. Let's not let him get overwhelmed too early. Now let's get this Pelosi thing resolved. I wish she would just admit she "should" have known. She was on the committee and there is no excuse. Admit she failed to really look into it, so we can all move on. She is a wonderful public servant, and we need to move on to other issues. Like North Korea, and all the starving children. Better relationships in Afghanistan, stronger ally in China, more help to Great Britain, assistance to Mexico, the drug problem in America, more help for our soldiers coming home. And whether or not we can afford health care for all. Can we? We still have yet to answer that question.

May 25, 2009 at 3:37 am |
  4. Mike

Wow, Ridge is really talking of the ridge. I can't find a better example of a politician acting insane. I am a life long Republican. I voted for Obama. And he is the best choice for us. On a side note: Powell is a great American also. I hope President Obama can find a spot for ole General in his Administration. Cause in about 8 less years, for the betterment of our country, Powell will turn Dem. and be our next President. Two men of color, two great Presidents, 16 years of showing the world we are the great democracy and land of liberty and hope for all.

May 25, 2009 at 3:21 am |
  5. AIB

Ridge is playing both sides just to gain attractions. He missed it. President Obama is forward looking. He is setting the stages for a well thought US national security policy

May 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Pam C

Pam Collins (pxcoll111) wrote:

I don't understand how Cheney and others keep saying using these torture techniques have kept us from another attack for the last seven years when it is also said that these techniques were ordered to be stopped around June 2004, so the techniques were only used for 2 years and the remaining 5 years until today we still have not been attacked without using the "EIT". There is so many saying that torture is counter productive. I think the fact that we have not been attacked so many years without the use of these techniques should be brought up..

May 24, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  7. rick richards

Memorial Day. Deep respect for all Americans who've suffered for doing the right thing.
    Sadly, just saw on CNN what I believe was a disabled American soldier who served in the Iraq War. He stated something to the effect that "these people flew planes into our towers."
    Sadly, not one of the hijackers was Iraqi. The majority of them (16) were Saudi Arabians. Three others were from Lebanon and U.A.E.
    I've heard in the media and have no reason not to believe Saddam Hussein was an enemy of Al Queda.

May 24, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  8. Patricia Finkelstein

I believe Pres. Obama is still behind. What happend to the Veterans issue on VA hospitals. This is Memorial Day weekend and my thoughts go back to 2005 when my husband entered Dallas VA hospital with two gangrenous toes. They first cut off his left leg, then they waited three weeks cut off his second leg, took the income he was getting for his time in service connected injuries in Vietnam and left me with none of his incom. They then put him in a medical coma and during that time nurses were not turning him and large bed sore grew and grew, nurses reaction: "We have the authority to do anything we ant". The VA was interested in burying medical equipment, so they used that medical equipment and tested it my husband without my consent or his as he remained in the coma . The doctor ordered the nurses to test this on my husband, after shoving this tubing up his rectum continuosly the nurses punctured him internaly causing bleeding and infection. When they were done my husband had no muceles left in his rectum. The bed sore continued to grow. The doctures decided that he should be moved to a regular room, even though he was critical. The doctors needed the room for another patient. My husband during his stay in the hospital was continually moved from Cardiac intensive care unit and had to be rushed back in again for emergency surgery. My husband was given a 100% service connected injuries, he was legally blind, and they bring his food tray and just leave it at his bedside, if would not have been there he would have been fed. I would tell the nurses every day of blindness but to no avail, he had multiple strokes, heart attacks . I am running out of space, but there is so much more to this than I can go over I have a picture of his bed sore, and I can only say that I have witnessed so much more. My husband passed away on October 3, 2006. The talk about torture in Guantanamo, but my husband who served his country suffered so much more, he was also on dialysis and had Kalostomy done to the infection of the penetration, The bed sore caused him to contract Spinal Menegitis. He could not move arms or legs or body due to the many strokes and inadequate care. I could not get any help from one, they did not want to listen. So Pres. Obama I know for a fact that poor medical care at Dallas VA Hospital still exists. I have been told by other spouses to always be there for you loved one. Well I was!!!!!!

May 24, 2009 at 6:07 am |
  9. Art

I think the hypocrisy of washington is beyond belief. I also think Mr. Ridge is a hypocrite.

May 23, 2009 at 6:31 am |
  10. Ruth

A disgruntled ex-employee? And he had something to do with "Homeland security"? Go forward Obama. LOL.

May 23, 2009 at 5:55 am |
  11. Paul Escoll

Bill Bennett says the Bush administration kept us safe for eight years.
    Did not we have the biggest terrorist attack in history during George W. Bush's administration. Did they not ignore all warnings about Al Qaeda prior to 9/11 as they were obsessed – from before day one – with Saddam Hussein/Iraq?

May 23, 2009 at 2:12 am |
  12. Vickie Show Me State

Goes to show you that, just because someone claims to be Christian. Doesn't make it true. Apparently, these same people that claim to be a Christian. And, see no harm in torture techniques. Are, becoming the same people who tortured Jesus himself. Only worse! Those who tortured Jesus claimed to, not to believe at all. To claim to be a believer. And, yet, to see no harm in torturing someone else. I say, neither, nor, have A CONCIOUS!!!!!!!!!! "....Beware of men in sheep's clothing...........!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had, Bush been watching his back,instead of, looking forwards. Chance's are, 9/11 wouldn't have happened. "Someone" was, pissed off for a reason. I'm sure that, whatever the Bush Administration was doing. It wasn't being fair. We can't even control the crime's within our own backyard. But, let's tell every other country what they can and can't do!? Hypocrite's!? It's taken the Bush's 8 year's to get us to where we are at. "Blessed are the peacemaker's....."! Go Obama!!!!!!!!!!

May 23, 2009 at 12:46 am |
  13. Ben C. SFO-California

they had their moment. come on Mr Cheney, Mr Ridge, lets just say its all pity to yourselves.( because they did not fix the problem!)

May 22, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  14. Als

John King keeps the GOP on his show like their runing the country. Pres Obama will always be able to look backwards in order to go forward because of the big mess the GOP created. John King wears his party of no and no ideas on his sleeve. I wish we could get some bipartisan journalist on this show. The republicans lost can we fix the country now.

May 22, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  15. Christian E. Sveum

Cheney has said they need these 'enhanced techniques' to get the intelligence to prevent another 9/11, yet, they were given the intelligence, prior to 9/11 (that wasn't gotten with torture), and they didn't act on it. This fear mongering is old hat and defending these techniques is rediculous.

May 22, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  16. Gary in VA

I believe that Obama ~is~looking forward by stating that we will not use torture in the future and by taking steps to ensure that we will not.

May 22, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  17. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Obama's central message in the campaign was change and looking toward the future, yet he uses every opportunity to bash the last administration. A true leader doesn't blame others for HIS problems. Yes, they ARE HIS. There were at noon on Jan. 20th.

May 22, 2009 at 7:55 pm |
  18. Teresa, OH

One would be foolish not to look back to figure out how we got into this mess we are in. In looking back, we determine how best not to GO WHERE WE WERE ever again.

As for Obama: there is NEVER a wrong time to do the right thing... Hush up, Mr. Ridge. You had your chance to help fix things, no?
    There's a new kid in town.

May 22, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  19. Joker

The Republicans are forcing this issue on their own party! They need to move on. Voters WILL remember how they have responded since Obama has taken office and it's not a pretty picture. Let them hang themselves!

May 22, 2009 at 4:32 pm |
  20. lam0nt Austin

Why is Ridge mad, Obama shouldnt stop any investigation of wrong doing and I dont even think he has the power to.

Lamont Austin

May 22, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  21. Jorge

This is a joke, right? These Republicans almost destroyed our country. They should not criticize anyone but themselves.

May 22, 2009 at 3:57 pm |