May 21st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/21/09

Tonight on 360°, a look a small town in Montana that would welcome detainees from Gitmo. Yes, they want them. Right now it's a prison with no prisoners. City officials want to fill it with accused terrorists. We'll take you there.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the prison and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Alex in Wisconsin

Liz Cheney has a short selective memory if she doesn't remember the Republicans telling everyone who disagreed with them that they were siding with terrorists.

May 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Kevin C

Lyn Cheney is trpped in the rhetoric of her side that has already been refuted – rather obviously. The terrorists cannot train for enhanced interrogation techniques because we aren't using them. Her position is ridiculous!

May 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. laurie

Dick Chaney has not spoken for 8 years how dare he put our Pres down now he has only had a little over 100 days to fix 8 years of a mess

May 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

@Linda…I’m convinced Cheney would like nothing better than to be vindicated by an attack on American’s. He’s selfish, self-centered, out of touch and, currently, a relic from the past.

5. Judi Romaine

I'm sorry but I can't watch Liz Cheney again – she seems so opinionated and closed. I understand that she's supporting her dad but I don't really care to listen to it on national TV. I'm going to have to change channels for a while. Looking forward to less bias opinions – I'm not opposed to conservatives – I love George Wills, even Mary Matlin, but I need a more pragmatic thinker – thanks for your show though – judi

6. Maureen, Georgia

Pres. Obama gave a very good speech which explained a lot that I didn't know. I whole heartedly agree with him. Cheney has been talking so much he thinks he's convincing anybody that those interrogation tactics were legal, he needs to go away & stay out of sight. I don't want to listen to Cheney's daughter either.

7. Miss J

Nice interviewing Liz Cheney, Anderson... I love your questions.

8. Kristen - University Park, PA

I don't find Cheney fulfilling any moral obligation regardless of how his daughter sees it. It looks more like self preservation.

9. Sharon Hastings

Hello, everyone. I do agree with the President but I don't think he needs to go tit for tat with Cheney to gain support. Ignore the guy and just come up with "the plan", get the money from Congress afterward, and proceed. We have many other pressing problems that need attention. Don't get sidetracked. I didn't used to think there were too many plates in the air but it's starting to look that way. This whole "who lied and who told the truth" and the Gitmo thing seem dangerous diversions from larger issues.

10. Claudia

Dick Channey is a war criminal who needs to be held accountable for his war crimes. To me he is as a reoccurring nightmare – he just won't go away. He poisoned our country for 8 years with his hateful rhetoric and he is just plain evil spirited as well he committed war crimes. His daughter is a product of his sick ideology. Does Dick Channey think he is above it all? I say let's go, start the war crimes hearings. Seems the only way we can get Dick Channey will go away. To his daughter, Darling, sure he is your dad but he is a criminal. We are SICK OF DICK. and frankly I am sick of you as well.

11. Peggy

I agree with Brandi, why doesn't Cheney go away? I think he is evil.
    But Brandi, we did too hear from him during the Bush Administration, he just looked like Bush..........

12. don

why is cheney's daughter on. since when is she an authoratative spokesperson? it cheapens the show.

13. Lori from IL

@Mike in NYC - I agree totally - well said.

Cheney is being so disrespectful of President Obama. He's the one making this country less safe - airing his grievences in public. How can he consider himself patriotic? I have thought that he was dillussional for a long time, and now I'm sure.

14. Tracey - Boston

Did she say moral obligation?? Her father has morals? When?

15. Jane

Obama has been criticising the former administration from day one, why do we expect them not to defend themselves? It is just human.

16. Joe Terrogano

No amount of torture is going to keep fanatics from attacking their perceived enemy. It will however fuel their resentment. I'm confused. Let's approve torture, but hide photo's of mistreatment because they will fuel terrorism? The use of torture won't piss them off? What convoluted logic, which smacks of paranoia. Cheney's daughter "Make sure the line of torture wouldn't be crossed" Please, how naive do you think we are? If Cheney was the paragon of truth, we are all in deep trouble.

17. Mike, Syracuse, NY

It's pretty appalling the number of people unwilling to listen to both sides of the issue. Once again it shows that the 'big tent' of the liberals isn't all that big.

18. TJ Krug

Dick has yet to be correct on an area in which he claims to be an expert on. If his goal was to make America a safer place he should have stepped down eight years ago.

May 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I think Cheney is speaking because of guilt. Everything is being found out now.

May 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  20. Linda

Anderson these techniques are against the law! You need to say this!

May 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  21. Kristen - University Park, PA

Changing the word torture to enhance interrogation is a joke no one is buying.

May 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  22. gail

@ Cessy
    The only thing he wants us to know is that he is a war criminal since he engaged and boasted about his involvement in torture. He wants another attack on this country and he wants the ability to raise his head to say "See , I told you so" Though the terrorist that have been made in the past 8 years are the ones that resulted from his torture tactics. So Cheney?Bush will be responsible for the next attack as well. There will be another attack because there are crazy terrorist that want us dead and they want it more so after the Bush administration.

May 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  23. Tracey - Boston

Scott

You are correct, Cheney's action prove who really ran the country!!

May 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  24. Linda

The President made the Bush Administration techniques against the law! They are NOT going to be used anymore! So what is she talking about that the terroists are going to learn our techniques? This is ridiculous!

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  25. Isabel

good question, Anderson!

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  26. Tyler

What is the proof that Al Qaida uses Gitmo as a recruiting tool?
    Dems keep on hammering that point upon us, but is there any validity to it?

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  27. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Cheney's daughter is proving Obama's point regarding an "anything goes" mentality.

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  28. azeez, Hillside, NJ

@Anderson – I see we have a fantastic panel...Cant wait to hear their notion…

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  29. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Erica, there are a lot of amazing brains at CNN i would love to pick apart! haha, so much intelligence floating around there!

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  30. David, Indiana

Hi Anderson, Erica, everyone. Two excellent views of the national security and accountability issues in the remarks of President Obama and former VP Cheney. I was impressed with both. Dick Cheney is doing a great job of expressing the view of the hawks. That might help the Republicans regroup. That wouldn't hurt anyone in my opinion.

@Erica, I started out my day hearing these speeches too.

@Isabel I agree on the question of torture and interrogation, problems with the military tribunals, but otherwise Guantanamo seems to be a well run military detention facility. The problem is that many of the prisoners are being held with a uncertain status–enemy combatant, illegal combatant, criminal defendant. As a facility though maybe not bad.

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I don't believe Dick Cheney what said! he is not good job any more, I am tired of what he have done for us! I feel that we couldn't safe here anymore.

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  32. Alex in Wisconsin

I think people who walk away from their values when it's just plain inconvenient are people who have stopped thinking and don't really believe in the values they claim to follow in the first place.

May 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I'm just wondering who 'created' the terrorists who attacked us in the 90's long before Bush?

May 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  34. Sandra Robertson, GA

Good evening Anderson and Erica, et al. In my opinion, only history will judge the Bush presidency as well as the Obama presidency.

May 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  35. Aravind in Miami

It is very important that the prisoners of Gitmo be kept out of federal prisons (unless they are kept in solitary confinement, which would raise other issues). Some of these detainees at Gitmo are capable of motivating other inmates into jehad.
    A big minus to moving them to federal prison.

May 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  36. Clycd

Why are we listining to Channey (Dick). He was not elected to the vice presidency he was picked. We thank him for his service but he is a non military vice presient. If he had run for the presidency he would not have been elected. I went to Vietnam when drafted. He received several exceptions not to go. He used his political office to issue contracts to his former company. I worked for the government for 30 years and although the opertunity was there I would not and have not used my office for personal gain. Can Dick say that. Lets face it he is no longer in office and we don't care what he has to say.

May 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  37. Leo

Why do you have Liz "Anybody who disagrees with my father is Unamerican" Cheney on your program? – You need someone with some credibility to come on your show to defend torture and illegal, uncontrolled powers for the executive branch. She, like her father have no credibility whatsoever!. Liz and Dick! Cheney are liars!.

May 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  38. Tyler

Obama is such a hypocrite. I have been observing his double speak on quite a few issues since his campaigning days (which seems like it is still not over). He wants to please everyone, and thats why he takes both sides of an issue. He is going to be a big joke by the end of his first & only term!

May 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  39. brad

To paraphrase Ben Franklan
    "Those who would trade long term libeerty for short term security deserve neither"

Words the previous administration should have heeded

May 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  40. Jerry

If enhanced interrogation worked, why is Obama bin Landen still a free man?

May 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  41. Kristen - University Park, PA

If Dick Cheney wanted to run the country he should have run for President. He is a coward and attempting to strong arm Obama, I don't know why the white house pays him any attention.

May 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  42. ben

Cheney has to go to jail to reflect on the fact that torture is a crime

May 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  43. Laura, NY

Cheney's speech, hearing the lengths to which the American gov't was willing to go to reach its ends, that makes me feel less safe, not more. Because when they've "kept all terrorists out of America," I'm still stuck here with them. I want to know that the most powerful government in the world knows how to temper itself and behave morally.

May 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  44. Hema

I think that Dick Cheney should go away. All the time that he was in office...he did not make a peep. Why is he talking now? Maybe he wants to make things right? Or is he tying to justify what he did?Cheney should really STOP AND THINK before he says anything. GO AWAY!!

May 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  45. Linda

I hope that you will have someone speaking who supports the president. I don't just want to hear from Liz Cheney.

May 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  46. Scott

Cheney's words today prove who was REALLY running the "Bush" administration.

May 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  47. Steven

Obama is more charismatic and more popular than Obama, but I have to admit Cheney's speech had more substance.

May 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  48. Isabel

It seems that the former vice president speaks as if this were government yet.

Can not be forgotten who won and who lost the last elections.

May 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  49. ericacnn

@Brandi – ha 🙂

To be honest, I love this stuff and wish I could hash it out more with some of the smart minds walking these halls. Lots of interesting tidbits in each speech

May 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  50. gail

@ Linda
    I agree. Cheney and his ilk want something to happen. They want an attack so that they can say see our tactics were best thought they were war crimes.

May 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |