May 20th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/20/09

Tonight on 360°, a police chase caught on tape. Five officers in Birmingham, Alabama have been fired for what happened in the incident. CLICK HERE to watch the video. And, text your questions on the case to 94553. Please make sure you put the letters AC, along with your name and location in the text.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the police chase and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. isabel

The profession of police is extremely extressante. They need psychological care and preparation.

The violence must have a exact measure.

May 20, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Andrea, TN

This guest is annoying me. Even if past suspects had 'feigned' being passive and then gone on the attack, that's no reason to attack any suspect before checking their vitals, especially if they'd just been thrown out of a flipped car. The suspect deserved to serve time, but not to be beaten, and I'm glad the police officers were fired. They don't deserve the distinction.

May 20, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  3. Joyce D EL Mirage,AZ

Why has police chases and police brutality become the norm or do I just watch to much news? Are there any studies on this?

May 20, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  4. starr formerly known as vincent

I know that the adrenaline is pumping, however, aren't the police trained to handle these kinds of situations?

Also, it is not clear that the guy was "trying" to hit the office, he many have been overcompensating with the steering wheel to stay on the road.

Either way what they did was wrong.,

May 20, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  5. Fay - California

Bravo to Anderson for pressing Eugene O'Donnell on this issue – he is not making any sense.

May 20, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  6. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Nassia i agree with you why didn't they help him they didn't have to hurt him he was already in trouble.

May 20, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  7. Matt

RE: Police Chase

There is a reason why we have courts to bring people to justice.

I have known many cops and I can name a good number of those that brag about using force when they finally catch a criminal.

May 20, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I do understand the frustration with the situation but the individual wasn't moving wasn't resisting arrest, he had just fallen out of his vehicle...what was the point of attack on the part of the police dept? Isn't that why they carry weapons?

May 20, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  9. Heather - Spokane, WA

What was going on through that cop's mind that he thought it would be a good idea to get in front of a speeding car?

May 20, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Brandi - bottom of the boot

wow, that car chase is horrible. im not sure i would have fired the cops though, this man endangered a LOT of people. i have no sympathy for this suspect.

May 20, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

My favorite cartoon is the looney tunes bugs bunny donald duck and tweety bird as well as the Yoesmite Sam .

May 20, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Esma

Car chases freak me out and make me want to live within walking distance of everything. I think if a suspect is not responsive/resisting, beating someone up is not kosher.

May 20, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  13. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

I think we're seeing a highly-charged emotional reaction on the part of the officers. I totally get that. Is it right? Well, it was an overeaction...over and over and over and over, realtive to the video.

May 20, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Daphne, Rutgers NJ

Mickey Mouse is my all time favorite! That is just so sad...

About David and his mother. Who are we to say that their choice would not be successful? We can't just rule over someone's religious beliefs because of our belief in medicine.

Anderson, was that someone handing you your Blackberry? Thought you always have it with you.

May 20, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  15. David, Indiana

I pray for the the best for the Hausers Mother and son and the whole family.

@Mike, Syracuse I imagine they want to control the weapons floating around in natl parks to hunting weapons.

I'd like to send in a text, but having problems with my cell phone so I guess if I have a question I'll post a comment on the blog. Makes no difference right.

May 20, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

The officers had every right to be upset, but seriously, the man flipped out of the vehicle and was NOT moving. They did not need to assault the man like that.

May 20, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  17. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

this car chase MUST be on World's Craziest Police videos. You could see the guy bounce on the ground when the police where beating him!

May 20, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Jacqueline, NY

I refused treatment once and was kept in the hospital against my will. But then again, I was too week to leave, so after 6 hours, I finally caved. There was nothing else I could do. I couldn't move.

May 20, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Anderson you are lucky to follow Larry 's timeslot and be right in the coolnes that is Larry King.

May 20, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Rohan

They did perfectly right thing, I think. Did you see how the guy tried to run over police office who was trying to stop him. Cops have their own respect and you can not treat cop like this. He should have beaten to death and would have been alright.

May 20, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Lori from IL

Good segment with Sanjay - my brother-in-law explored all kinds of options for treatment of his cancer - ended up as part of a "trial" group and them conventiona chemo and radiaionl treatment., whicfh bought him some time. Although he's losing his battle (at home now with Hospice) he's at peace with his choices and his family knows they have done all they could in pursuing available treatments.

May 20, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  22. isabel

Oh, Gosh! This is scary!

May 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Nick

Why do people NOT want more rights? Most people have no idea how many people they walk past everyday that are armed. If someone wants to carry their gun on them in a park, why should you care? The only way you can get a permit is by being a LAW ABIDING citizen which means they are not bad people, criminals will carry ANYWHERE no matter what thats why they are called criminals. The way I see it, this is another right I get, which means more freedom, who doesnt want more freedom?

May 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Rebekah

a little... well, i'm VERY late getting on here tonite, but here it goes
    good evening to Anderson, Erica, Ed Henri and everyone else at AC360 tonite =]

brutal video... it drives me crazy when these kind of police videos surface. those officers were idiots! they KNOW that there are video cameras in their cars! they know they'll be seen!

can't wait to see the video with Larry King tonite – looks quite interesting

May 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Anita, CA

Good to see you Dr. Gupta. I just lost a friend of mine in January to Ovarian Cancer. She had both herbal celation therapy and chemotherapy. I took her to her weekly appointments in SF. Unfortunately, even with chemotherapy, the cancer went to her liver and eventually she did die in January. I miss her. Is celation therapy considered alternative? I am still unclear about what you see as alternative therapy? Can you give more examples?

May 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Fay - California

The police have a difficult job and their anger about the officer that was nearly run down is understandable, but there should be some sort of specific training to prevent them from going over the edge in volatile situations such as this car chase – if the suspect was unconscious, there was no reason to beat him. Firing these officers was the right thing to do.

May 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The police chasing on a highway can hurt other innocent people driving minding thier buisness they are supposed to protect us but they have gone too far .

May 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Sharna Sugarman

Your cops are out of control. Yes, the individual was completely crazy in his actions, but the cops are trained to handle intense situations. Beating this person showed nothing but pure rage and ignorance to the law. Firing of the 5 cops was the proper thing to do.

Sharna
    Kingston, ON
    Canada

May 20, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Heidi

Why is the government forcing that kid to have chemo? If he doesn't want it, then he shouldn't be forced. There are plenty of suffering people out there desperate for cancer treatment but can't get it because they can't afford it, no insurance, etc.

May 20, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The mother of Daniel Houser has to bring him home she is endangering his life by risking it running on the raod.

May 20, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  31. isabel

Larry King is great! I'm anxious

May 20, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Genevieve M, TX

If I had a child with cancer and found out about a treatment with a 90% success rate, I cannot imagine denying him/her the opportunity to try it. If there is none available, I would be willing to allow my child to try a clinical trial. I believe in taking advantage of scientific advancements in modern medicine.

May 20, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Christina

Great show tonight!! Getting better every minute!!

May 20, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Eric

I've always looked at options and just recently used prolotherapy for a debilitating back injury and I have to say it worked like a charm.

May 20, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Minou, New York City

there's not a single serious well trained alternative med. practitioner who would not recommend chemotherapy to a cancer patient. but all medications have side effects and the FDA is completely sponsored by the pharmaceutical companies and cannot be trusted. there are hundreds of books out there about this subject. educate yourself before you pop a tylenol.

May 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Anderson and panel on video of police chase Why did they beat this man when he was unconoius and hurt?

May 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  37. starr formerly known as vincent

I read the entire blog last night and people on Both sides made good points.

However, as a retired RN & mother i continue to believe that the combination of alternative medicine and western medicine is the best way to go here.

For those who will disagree with me, i had cancer and used both successfully. Also, i do know what chemo does to the body (not to mention mind, emotions and spirit). But the combination of both in this case would seem to be a "win win".

May 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Always good to see Dr. Gupta on the show sharing his knowledge. Very imformative! Thanks Sanjay!

May 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Linda

You know Anderson

I have change my stand on getting the boy back, leave them alone, apparently the boy is going along with it, their are others out there that are willing to recieve the treatment. The story is starting to get overblown. I am tired of it already. I am a Nurse and I know people and families with kids who would be happen to get the treatment they are trying to give this kid. Let move on, their are plenty of sick kids/people out their with much more complelling stories

May 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  40. David, Indiana

@Isabel not everything is business. Obviously. Credit card issues have to know this too. "Business" is not an excuse for fraud, taking advantage of people, and false reporting.

@kristine congress messed up the credit legislation

I'm listening to Dr. Gupta, I'm glad that you're getting into the question of using multiple therapies...alternative,complementary, integrative therapies... and thank you for the graphic on questions that people who are considering therapies should ask

May 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Beck

Have any of you stopped to ask what DANIEL wants? Never mind the state or his parents, it's what he wants that counts.

And before anyone says he's too young to decide, let me remind you that if Daniel were accused of murder, instead of refusing treatment, he would be tried as an ADULT!

May 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  42. James Albrecht

AC

The police chase in Alabama is indicative of the police in Indiana!
    It seems that the police think they are cowboys riding the range, chasing down thieves! Hardly a week goes by in Indianapolis,
    and vicinity when there is a tragic accident from a wild police chase often more than 100 MPH through town and city! If the person is guilty they will catch him/her. Why endanger life and property often for minor infractions of the law.

May 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Heather - Spokane, WA

Whats wrong with using both types of medicine to treat cancer? Who said you have to stick with just one and what if the good effects of one gets rid of the bad effects of the other?

May 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Matt

Re: Mickey and Cartoon Voices

It's sad that so many of us grow up with these voices and can never put a face to voice until they pass on.

May 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I loved Mickey Mouse and all the disney character when i was 5 yrs old i visted the park and one of the seven dwarfs tied me to a bench with the strings on my hood of my sweater it was Happy I can stil remember the good old days of the magic of disney .

May 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Brandi - bottom of the boot

chemo can be so horrible, why is this child being denied his right to choose when it is his body??? what happened to the right to refuse treatment???

May 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Cessy, Chicago

is it really neglect when a parent is seeking other methods in order to save her son? who are we to judge?

May 20, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Fay - California

Anderson's interview that aired last night with Larry King was very good – it was interesting to hear about Larry's experiences with all of the political figures he's had the privilege to interview – his comments about Ronald Reagan were particularly interesting. I'm looking forward to tonight's interview.

May 20, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Anthonia-califonia

So the little boy Daniel isnt taking any medication to help his cancer? or is hes just eating healthy foods to replace his meds?

May 20, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  50. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

remembering about Larry King was saying he never really cried about his father's death. Nice to know I am not the only one that hasn't shown emotion about a family member's death.

and to lighten things up, Larry is hilarious, especially in his tweets!

May 20, 2009 at 10:36 pm |