May 20th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/20/09

Tonight on 360°, a police chase caught on tape. Five officers in Birmingham, Alabama have been fired for what happened in the incident. CLICK HERE to watch the video. And, text your questions on the case to 94553. Please make sure you put the letters AC, along with your name and location in the text.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the police chase and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Maria isabel

It is difficult to judge and at the same time think that is terribly difficult for a father see his son suffering from the disease.

I would die for my son! I do anything to see it well!

May 20, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Esma

@ Jasmine–Admittedly, my favorite cartoons are the original Bugs Bunny and Invader Zim, but Disney is third.

May 20, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  3. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hi Anderson You looked preeety comfortable sitting in Larry 'chair ther other night it was cool .I remember your interviwed by him years past ..

May 20, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Refusing treatment for a child for religious purposes? That is ridiculous. If the Housers aren't interested in doing all they can to save their son, I suggest he be placed with a family who is.

May 20, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Esma

I was betting that they went to a Native American Shaman, but I guess we'll see. They shouldn't have to be running like this.

May 20, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Lori from IL

My earliest memories of Mickey Mouse are the "shorts" they used to play in the movie theater before the main feature - (instead of the 30 minutes of comming attractions like they do now.)

I'm a huge Peanuts fan - remember watching the original airing of A Charlie Brown Christmas with my cousins on my grandma's TV - black and white of course!

May 20, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  7. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I still don't understand why you wouldn't do everything in your power to keep your son alive. I really hope that they find Daniel and his mom so that he can get the treatment he needs.

May 20, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

@Esma, yes, Disneyland is so like a second home! 😀 But his spirit will roam the park for eternity.

May 20, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  9. andersoncnn

the interview with larry tonite.. is actually very funny

May 20, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  10. LisaL - Canada

very fond memories of Mickey. faves over the years have to be ScoobyDoo and Taz from Bugs Bunny (and an old cartoon called "The Aristocats" – a classic)

May 20, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That car chase looks horrible!

May 20, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  12. penny

Anderson,
    "The subject of Gitmo is becoming America's Vietnam. The facts about Vietnam, no one WON that situation. Another thing is that the GOP needs to grow up. They can't wimper and complain all the time. Grow up and find solutions. They can't take the money with them when they die.
    They need a Reality check about our economy and Pres. Obama 's solutions, or the GOP needs to come up with intelligent solutions"

May 20, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  13. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

I was initially infuriated that the NRA (through Republicans) managed to get this gun ammendment inserted into a Consumer Protection bill. However, the more I think about it, the logic escapes me as to why guns shouldn't be allowed in our parks. Does our constitution stop at the entrance to Yellowstone or Yosemite? I don't think so.

May 20, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Marian

This country put these people in Guantanamo and should put them on trial and place them in prison in this country if they are found guilty. It is rediculous that our justice system cannot handle these prisoners. What kind of people do they think are in our prisons already.

May 20, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  15. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i think the Slumdog Millionaire movie is cursed for those poor kids.

first, the father tries to sell the daughter and her two moms have a very public fight, then the boys house gets dozed, now the girl is homeless too???? Poor kids.

May 20, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  16. Miss J

Scooby Doo is probably my all time favorite. Best song too.

May 20, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Dulcie - Denver

Wow, that video is kind of grisly. Looks pretty horrifying.

May 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  18. Anthonia-califonia

That sucks that voice of mickey mouse died!watching mickey mouse wont be the same anymore!! i wonder whose going to take his spot, there arent enough people that can sound like mickey mouse.

May 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Esma

I was born in La Jolla and spent every other day at Disneyland...now I'm all depressed. Gee, Death, why do you have to be such a killjoy?

May 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  20. David, Indiana

I'm glad the FBI and police intercepted the people planning a bombing outside a synagogue, I don't understand violent things like that.

Very bad news in Pakistan, the level of people displaced has doubled twice in the past three or four days. 2 million people. That's going to require focus, so congress playing around with legislation looks even less desireable now

May 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Charles

These police officers should be prosecuted for felonious assault because a baton is a weapon and it was clear the way they were being used could have taken this man's life

May 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Ardyth

OMG – guns in your national parks attached to the credit card bill. How can we respect you folks when you do things like this – and how do so many dingbats get elected to Congress and Senate? Just askin' – Canadian btw.

May 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

Mickey Mouse, never much a fan, but so sad to see such a talented voice actor lose their life. There isn't much true talent in the business anymore.

May 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Heather - Spokane, WA

Mickey Mouse was cool, but Donald Duck will always be my favorite

May 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Christina

I like Snoopy and Garfield.

May 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Miss J

So you wanna talk cartoons now Anderson?

May 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Sean B

That guy in the police chase tried to kill a police officer...how can you blame those cops for beating him?

May 20, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  28. Isabel

Mickey is wonderful! So sad!

May 20, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Margaret in OH

I am really disapointed and angered that the gun provision was attached to this bill- The only thing allowing guns in National Parks will do is make them less safe. Families with children, older people and others utilize the National Parks as a place for recreation and to enjoy nature- I do not see a need for guns here- Many animals here are protected anyhow and it is the rare occasion that an animal provokes a person. How long will it be before some gun crazy idiot shoots a kid they thought was a bear?

May 20, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  30. Lori from IL

Extreme Challenges looks very interesting and informative. Anderson, thanks for bringing us these types of specials.

May 20, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Christina

AC, Nice interview with Larry King last night....You are are a great interviewer!

May 20, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  32. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@esma,

totally agree, people need to stop attacking religious structures/places, and i am definitely watching tomorrow! (im all atwitter after seeing michael ware sitting there!)

May 20, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Isabel

@ David, Indiana

About credit cards, I think in times of economic crisis, people should be aware of the use of credit card.

Operators of credit card do not play to lose. They are not allies of consumers. Credit card is a business and is one of the most profitable

May 20, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Lori from IL

@Kristine - you make some very valid points about guns in the workplace and around school children - hadn't thought about it - wonder if Congress did - I guess not.

May 20, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  35. Matt

@ Erica

Tonight's news break re: Temple in Riverdale

This is a sobering reminder of the threat of internal terrorism. While we as watchers of the media want to know all the info – should we?

I think giving out certain details of how this all unfolded only allows terrorists to learn from failed plots and use that knowledge in future attacks.

May 20, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  36. starr formerly known as vincent

Really looking forward to your specail tomorrow night, Anderson. We need more information about Pakistan and especially the maps so everyone can see how close the coutries are to each other. And, of course, discourse from Fareed & David g. is always informative.

David g. thanks for your remarks (especially about the Dem's), you hit the nail on the head again.

May 20, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Brandi - bottom of the boot

you are so welcome Mr. Gergen! and i agree, our prisons can handle the detainees, im not so sure how safe they would be, but i dont think they would be able to escape.

May 20, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Can't wait to see the car chasing!

May 20, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

those cops are ridiculous, honestly run out in front of a speeding car? really?

May 20, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Greg, I was thinking the same thing. If people have a license to carry concealed weapons, why does it matter where they do it?

May 20, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  41. Ruby

Hi , I know myself I call all of our Reps. here everyday if I have to just so we can keep our rights to bar arms. And there have been a lot of people killed in parks when they go out for a gogg or walk ,those people might of had a chance to live if they carried a gun.
    I am sick of the big wigs in Washington telling us what we're going to do.

May 20, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  42. Matt

After the gun ban was lifted in Washington DC I think we all knew this was coming. I personally support this bill for both reasons. I'm a democrat and also a contractor for the National Park Service. Thousands of private citizens live in work in America's National Parks seasonally, and maintenance occurs year round. I believe our citizens should have the right to defend themselves against animal attacks in back-woods environments. Poaching will occur regardless of the legislation, and I doubt it will have little effect on the poaching investigations of law enforcement. As for carrying a handgun into the Washington Monument, they can just ban guns in monuments and memorials.

May 20, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Linda

Oh my Goodness

My absoulte favorite people on your extreme challenge segment. I definitely will be looking at this tomorrow nite

May 20, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  44. David, Indiana

@angel manners kudos you managed to avoid the gun control question with your clever remark about the holster

May 20, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  45. Rafael Bronx,NY

That car chase is wild i am shock as well after seeing that small clip that you guys shown.

May 20, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Isabel

@ David Gergen

I agree completely with your comment: "if we are going to agree to shut down the prison, we must be willing to take the full measure of responsibility for the Detainees."

May 20, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  47. kristine

re: Naissa ... good point about "guns going missing."

we had an incident where an inexperienced camper decided to arm himself against all the danger he perceived was in the woods. Long story short, he decided to abandon his campsite and go back home because it was raining. He left not only his tent and gear, but also a loaded gun right on top of his sleeping bag for anyone to grab.

May 20, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse, NY

If the terrorists are brought to US prisons, can they still be held indefinitely without trial, or do the gain Constitutional protection? It would be better to just rush through military tribunals in GITMO and hang them all.

May 20, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Christina

The next 100 days strategy looks cool...Lots of work to do!!

May 20, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Cessy, Chicago

car chase is scary to watch....

May 20, 2009 at 10:24 pm |