May 20th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/20/09

Tonight on 360°, a police chase caught on tape. Five officers in Birmingham, Alabama have been fired for what happened in the incident. CLICK HERE to watch the video. And, text your questions on the case to 94553. Please make sure you put the letters AC, along with your name and location in the text.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the police chase and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Esma

Oh, I am so watching that special...what a brilliant bunch at that table!

May 20, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  2. Barbara in Boston

David – is this a "not in my backyard" kind of thing? Dems balking at Guantanamo detainees on US soil?

May 20, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  3. starr formerly known as vincent

We all should have known home grown terrorists were coming.

We need to be very grateful to the people who discovered this plot and stopped it.

May 20, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Christina

Hey, Thanks for the breaking news on the Synogogue attack. I am so sorry to hear about it, glad that their efforts were unsuccessful....

May 20, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

Rwanda genocide, the pictures freak me out, wonder what it's like in Pakistan right now...

May 20, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Isabel

Mr. Gergen also should have your picture next to comments.

May 20, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"The right hand does not always know what the left hand in doing" as the saying goes.

May 20, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Greg

As for carring guns in National Parks, I have been in Law Enforcement for ten years in a state that has conceal carry. Who in the world would care if you were carring a gun in a national park vs.a public mall? Granted you are more likely to come across a wild animal that's poses a threat in a national forest....Get the point, or lack of logic, for those who oppose this change?

May 20, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  9. David, Indiana

@Isabel "Rethink the way we use this tool" What?

I'm not surprised that congress would intentionally mess up the credit card bill and the Guantanamo thing on the same day.

May 20, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Hey it's my birthday.. spending it with AC360 and the bloggies... why exactly does someone need a gun in a national park?

May 20, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  11. andersoncnn

the way this car chase ends is stunning.

May 20, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  12. Anthonia-califonia

What is going on with these manics driving wild! is it Drivers Gone Wild Season? lol

May 20, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Rafael Bronx,NY

Thank God they stopped these 4 guys from doing an attack here in the Bronx,New York

May 20, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Heather - Spokane, WA

Why do people feel the need to destroy religious places?

May 20, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Isabel

@ Erica Hill

Yes, very disturbing news. Is that one day these things do not happen more?

May 20, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  16. D. Harlan

If these "detainees" are brought to the states then their status must be changed. They must be officially charged, which will lead to a defense. A defense will lead to questions, which is what they are all worried about. Who is really guilty of something and who has possibly been held for all these years with little to no evidence. I imagine this truth, along with the likely shock of mistreatment, is the real reason they don't want them coming to America. They are trying to avoid another Bush Era quagmire and what is likely to be a very slippery slope!!

May 20, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Bridget-Michigan

Jeff Toobin:

Just a few minutes ago, you expressed doubt at the FBI director's testimony that bring terrorists into the American prison system would be dangerous and could lead to recruitment in the prisons. Now we hear from Rep. Peter King that three of the four Muslims who were trying to bomb a NY synagogue converted to Islam in prison. Now do you believe the FBI director or do you still think his comments are "bizarre?" Can you admit that you're wrong Toobin?

May 20, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  18. gary savage

Anderson Cooper and viewers this bomb issue will get worse because bible prophecy predicts this for all that oppress people of poverty

May 20, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  19. angel manners

@David Gergen... Kudos, you manage to make your point on Gitmo in a precise and clear manner

May 20, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Rikki, Fargo, ND

This is a very disturbing story. It makes me angry that there is still so much religious hate in this world. You would think that we would move past that at some point....especially since the first immigrants came here for religious freedom.

May 20, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  21. David, Indiana

@Isabel, yeah though if anyone has worked for the support of the congress it would be President Obama, and he has already accomplished quite a bit, but maybe that doesn't matter,

May 20, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  22. kristine

guns in national parks...dumbest idea yet. My honeymoon with Obama is now OVER!

I'm a State Park Ranger...my park is my workplace. Does YOUR workplace allow guns? I do not need some armed person shooting at me thinking I'm some "dangerous" bear, after I accidently snap a twig while out hiking for work. (And it's already come close to happening.)

My park is also an educational facility. Today I had 500 school children on field trips at the park. Does YOUR educational facility allow guns? Then why should parks?

May 20, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  23. harry

Wow, Now we will have more guns on streets means more crime. That will required more police. Means more tax burden on tax payers + unjustified traffic violation tickets for innocent poor americans to support large police force.

May 20, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Jacqueline, NY

I though something like this would have happened sooner in Riverdale.

May 20, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  25. Esma

Can we all agree to stop destroying religious structures?

May 20, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Kathy

It seems to me we need to eliminate the layering of bills. We need to keep the bills straightforward. It is time for the people to stop being surprised and demand a clean structure to the bills.

May 20, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  27. starr formerly known as vincent

although i support gun rights, it's within reason. i do not believe that guns in the National Parks is a good idea.

I also think that this addition to the biil was playing "politics".
    the republicans are going to keep "poking" this issue until it explodes one way or the other.

May 20, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Miss J

I only like car chases when they end happily.

May 20, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Sharon Hastings

Good evening from beautiful Naples, Florida. What is with the dems and the Gitmo situation? I don't get it. What a weird issue for them to rise up and vote against. I can't tell the players anymore without a program and a map.

May 20, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Jim

We have the right to arm Bears- or is that right to bare arms ?????
    I have guns but I don't go to national parks I can see being allowed to carry a gun for protection in a big city since the police don't do their job.

May 20, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Brandi - bottom of the boot

im so glad they managed to discover the terror plot before they were actually able to do anything.

May 20, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  32. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Everyone will be walking with guns in the national parks. One gun is better than the next. We do not need the "Wild, Wild, West"!

May 20, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  33. David Gergen

Hello everyone - welcome your many thoughts once again (and thanks, Brandi, for that sweet p.s. to your blog tonight). I must confess that I was vexed by what the Democrats did in the Senate to President Obama. They just hammered away at President Bush about keeping detainees in Gitmo, but when President Obama does the right thing - saying we will close it and try many of them on U.S. soil - they balk. We can't have it both ways as a great power: if we are going to agree to shut down the prison, we must be willing to take a full measure of responsibility for the detainees. And Jeff Toobin was right - our max security prisons can handle tougher people than this.

May 20, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  34. ericacnn

Good evening, everyone.

V disturbing news re: the Temple in Riverdale tonight – much too close to home.

May 20, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Guns in a National Park is a TERRIBLE idea. What if the gun goes missing, or ends up in the hands of some lunatic?

May 20, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Cessy, Chicago

okay, webcam is fixed. Thanks!

May 20, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Isabel

The webcan light improved, but now there is a menu on Anderson Cooper

May 20, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Put the terrorists in a maximum security prison with the general inmate population. There will be no need for trials, they won't last that long.

May 20, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  39. Dulcie - Denver

Since I live in Colorado, I don't mind guns in Nat'l Parks. Out here, we take them camping to fend off bears and cougars more than creepy people.

However, it is sad, sad, sad that this is 'business as usual' for Washington. While I don't feel all that strongly about this particular piece of legislation, I have been really appalled at some of the stuff that has been passed by getting attached to a very popular bill. Lobbies have been slipping stuff into bills for many, many years. Probably isn't going to change anytime soon.

May 20, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  40. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    It seems the government's inclination is to proceed more slowly with the detainees–there's too much uncertainty.

May 20, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Jacqueline, NY

Riverdale! I am not surprised. I knew it was coming.

May 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Another piece of hypocrisy by Congress. Amendments are added all the time to completely unrelated bills. The amendment had to get a majority vote to be added, which means some if not most Democrats supported it. The outrage seems a bit false.

May 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  43. gary savage

Anderson Cooper, that police chase, did that driver run a stop sign

May 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Andrea, TN

This fear of the terrorists in American prisons is ridiculous. They'd be more heavily guarded than anyone else, and it's not like they'd mix much or at all with the regular prisoners...so what are we worried about?

May 20, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  45. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Team 360 (Jack Grey with the new haircut) and Fellow Bloggers –

So what's the crime rate in National Parks, that visitors need to carry guns to protect themselves?

May 20, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  46. Isabel

@ David, Indiana

Yeah. And without support of the Congress none President can do much

May 20, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Jim

I've never had a credit card so the Banks won't get my money

May 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  48. Anthonia-califonia

Heey Y'all! Happy Wednesday!

I thought guns were already allowed at national parks...?

May 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think allowing guns in national parks is a very bad idea. We do have protected animals in certain parks and just by allowing guns will allow poachers to get access to them

May 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  50. angel manners

Guns in national parks?! I gotta go buy a holster!

May 20, 2009 at 10:12 pm |