May 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/18/09

Tonight on 360°, Farrah Fawcett's fight to live. The former "Charlie's Angels" actress is sharing her battle against anal cancer in documentary. 360 M.D. will have the facts on the disease. Who's at risk and more.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel

David Gergen and Anderson,

I think the biggest challenge is to restore the jobs!
    This situation is very complicated.

On Friday, I was in a store and a lady came up for your termination. I felt so bad for her!

The U.S. economy seems to me so "lean"

May 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Miss J

You know I always stick around for anything related to Michael Jackson, Anderson. I'm just an 80's chick.

May 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  3. LisaL - Canada

with all of the crap and toxins in the environment, and our drinking-water bottles, and hair-coloring and beauty products, and dry-cleaning chemicals, and a kazillion other things, the links between cancer cause-effect gets more and more elusive. too many variables.

so many things that irritate a person's immune system. need to keep those natural endorphins flowing – strengthen those "tumor suppressor genes" 🙂

May 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Daphne, Rutgers NJ

Did the police really need to beat up a 14 year old just to get him down?

May 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Heather - Spokane, WA

Its always hard to prove police brutality unless there is hard evidence like a full video of what was going on or physical evidence. If in fact this boy was kicked then it can be proved by the hospital. You can always cry brutality but proof holds water in court.

May 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Barbara in Boston

Mr. Cooper, you haven't missed a beat all newscast, so I doubt your sleepiness is affecting you. Must be all that on-air adrenaline. Thanks for the good job.

May 18, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Jim H., Massillon, Ohio

Always amazing how networks will air the photos of a "beaten" person. We seem to forget these are alleged law breakers. I have yet to see or hear of police "beating" a person for walking down the street. Incredible, then we wonder why today's youth disrepects authority.

May 18, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  8. starr formerly known as vincent

How many videos have we seen this year alone where there was obviously "excessive force".

I respect and admire law enforcement, but i have personaly witnessed police who were completely "out of line".

It's always tough to tell from just a video, however, it would seem there were some witnesses to this incidence. Let's hope justice can be done in the courtroom.

May 18, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Joe C

Isn't the arguement that openly allowing gays and lesbians in the military would hurt troop morale the exact same arguement used when it was blacks or women?? If you actually talk to enlisted and officers alike, they don't care what a soldier's sexual orientation is, only if they can do the job and keep the other soldiers safe. Time to drop the same old rhetoric and allow our brave men and women to be who they are – no matter what they are!!!

10. Cessy, Chicago

sorry but this so called police brutality video looks like the young man wasn't cooperating when the police officers redirected him...he was loittering wasnt he?

it is disturbing to watch but there are times when police officers are just doing their jobs. unfortunately, they are always charged with police brutality...

11. Tarik-Durham (Bull City), N. Carolina

think about this: a 14 year old boy typically weighs a lot less than two grown officers who seem to be physically fit. It should have only taken one officer and to beat the boy to have a bloody face is the start of a serious investigation and possible firing!!

12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am really disappoint Toledo Ohio Police are beat up on teen, That's me so digust to see left him die!!! I hope police will fired 2 police officers to being bet up him!!!! They will be charge for that back to jail!

13. Dodie ~ California

@ starr formerly known as vincent

I completely agree. That has also been my experience with the gay world.

14. Fay - California

It's difficult to see how a 14 year old kid could put up enough resistance against two police officers that would force them to beat him so severely – I hope this case receives a thorough investigation.

15. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

What new job Bill has, now besides loving his wife?

16. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening David G. I missed you on the show tonight. I will catch up with the repeat. Always lovely to hear your comment.

I do not see that you are sleepy or tired on air nor the red eyes. You look just fine here.

Why the police had to be so hard on him is what I do not understand. He did not look resistant or try to fight back to the police. It is too much.

17. Niroshini

About Sri Lanka – remember??? (with no all caps!)

Today a bloody war may have come to an end in Sri Lanka, a war that has taken the lives of over 75,000 people. A fight against terrorism maybe coming to an end...and yet, all you gave this huge news item was less than a minute. Can you imagine the American jubilation if the Al-Qaeda was defeated or Bin Laden captured? You are just like the rest of American news. Hardly any coverage at all... Have you seen any of the European headlines?
    Disappointed,
    Niroshini from Boulder, CO.

18. Kristen - University Park, PA

Anderson I think police brutality is not tolerable but can you sometimes tell good stories about cops. They do a brave thing protecting us law abiding citizens and are not recognized enough for it. The good definitely out weighs the bad.

19. Emma

I wonder if there are any witnesses since the arrest took place outside.

May 18, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

those cops must have used too much force....doesn't matter about why, just the whole deal of how.

21. James

Police Brutality? Although I think this is excessive force, we should question the boys prior behavior? You live by the sword.....

May 18, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Jonathan Wilson

Did these cops not have tasers?

May 18, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  23. Miss J

I applaud Farah for making her ailment (this particular one especially) so public. This is defintiely the kind of diagnosis/cancer/illness that comes with a stigma attached to it.

I think she also decided to because some hospital worker or workers sold her medical records to a tabloid. She is very strong because most people would still be fuming over that. One hospital in CA was just fined $250,000 last week due to the unauthorized release of celebrities' medical records. That all started with what happened to Farrah.

May 18, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Daphne, Rutgers NJ

@Michelle D, yes I also wish that there were no more abortions but there are other people who have different opinions than us so for now reducing the number of abortions seem to be the best way to go.

May 18, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Esma

This poor kid, and he IS still just a kid. I think cops go way too far sometimes...this would be one of those times. An unarmed teen who was not committing a violent crime getting beaten up by two adult and armed officers hardly seems fair. I'm glad this was caught on camera.

May 18, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  26. Maureen T, Canada

Was that young man beaten until he went down?? Police brutality alright.

May 18, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  27. Bridget, TX

The GOP is using Nancy as curtin to cover up all the illegal acts the Bush Administration obviously did on a regular basis. Based on what the director of the CIA said today there is no information in the notes that can show Nancy isn't telling the truth.

PO has a plate full, I don't believe DADT, releasing the torture pictures should rank on his list of things to accomplish within his first year of the presidency. If he can get the economy straight; help home owners keep their homes, save or implement new jobs and assist those jobless with affordable health insurance.

I know all of this is unreasonable, but this is my immeidiate list for POTUS.

May 18, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Rikki, Fargo, ND

The more videos I see of police officers the less I trust them...What a terrible video.

May 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  29. starr formerly known as vincent

@JoAnn-CA

I've known many gay people throughout my life and presently as well. I have Never witnessed any of my gay friends "come on to" straight people. That's NOT what they're looking for....they are looking for other gay people.

May 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  30. Lori from IL

Cancer is just plain terrible - any kind/anyone. Just got a call from my sister today that my brother-in-law has to stop his treatments and they have called in hospice.

May 18, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  31. niwat, Chicago

Hi AC, AC360 casts and live webloggers,

@ David Gergen, It will be very interesting to see Prez Obama and his administration in the second hundred days, as of past month unemployment rate is stabalised as well as recent weeks the stock market gains, both indicative of how his economy recovery plan seems be funtioning which is a great sign out of the recession.

Mr Cooper, you looked just fine.

May 18, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Patrick- Nashville

@ JoAnn_CA- Don't you think that the GLBT community feels the same way when approached by a member of the opposite sex? I think that argument does not hold water. The truth is that gay people do not find all members of the same sex sexually attractive, anymore that our straight counterparts. Come on now...

May 18, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo David Gergen!
    I agree with you......Nancy Pelosi never lied or mislead to Republician congress, I think she is really tell truth under oath. And nice see you on blog tonight!

May 18, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Barbara in Boston

Thanks for the coverage from Burma and Sri Lanka. I wish Sri Lanka had gotten more coverage for the last month. Some really horrible things have been happening there, with bombing of hospitals, etc.

May 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  35. Rebekah

it's terribly sad how a famous person usually has to be reported with a disease before people really hear about the disease.

it really is heart-breaking to see just a few shots of Farrah's video. it takes me back to 2 years ago when my grandpa was receiving Chemotherapy for his non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

May 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

May 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  37. Miss J

I heard that up to 80% of women get HPV in their lifetime. So does that really mean all of them are more susceptible? I also read that anal cancer is more common among whites but at the same time – black woman are more likely to die from cervical cancer (caused by same virus). Well – maybe Sanjay can talk more about all of that later.

May 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  38. Jonathan Wilson

I've got to say it's amazing that Pelosi and the CIA, Obama and Notre Dame can take our focus off the real issues facing our country. The border, the stimulus money, the fact that the reason we bailed out GM was so no jobs would be lost.

May 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Good Night Anderson and Erica
    and fellow bloggers get some sleep Anderson
    See you all tommorrow night .

May 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  40. Rose

Dear Mr Cooper , me and my family would like to extend our thought and prayers to Mrs Farrh Fewsett we watch her special Farrh's story and it mad me cry I hope fora merical for her recovery as well we love you Farrh God Bless and keep you sincerly yours the Berk family

May 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  41. Lori from IL

Daniel Pearl’s story is so sad — glad there is a memorial for him. His story should never be forgotten. We all need to remember what risks our news media reporters take to bring us the story.

May 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  42. Jim

wow..don't have words to express the way it make me feel....empty.

May 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  43. James

Anderson,
    you look fine, no res eye signs at all

May 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Erinn

Who really cares what Pelosi knew or didn't know in the past. It seems that this is just another example of the Republican dirty politics. They don't seem to get the idea of working together for what is best for the whole country. Divisiveness is definately not where it is at. This whole Pelosi thing is just another witch hunt. Bi-partisanship is what we want. This means working together not just looking for opportunities to find fault with the opposite party.

May 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  45. Isabel

I saw pictures of Patrick Swayze on the cover of a sensational newspaper ... the media sometimes explores a sad situation!

Farah Fawcett has shown much strength in the documentary!

May 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  46. barry c

It is time for equal rights for all....
    under the constitution we are all created equal.
    gays should be allowed to serve openly in the military and
    gays should have the right to get married.
    equal rights = equal rights...
    havent we moved beyond the 50's and 60's...

May 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Nattada, Houston TX

Cancer is cruel and never fair, but many people survive. I wish Farrah and other cancer patients to get well soon. May they be strong to fight off their suffering.

May 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  48. Kristen - University Park, PA

Dr. Gupta is amazing, thanks for all the info.

May 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  49. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

I watched Farrah's story and I was touched by how much she shared with the world.I 'm a pretty private person too ,and to let the world know of her pain must have ,in a way 'transcended' her core personality.I was thankful that she showed all of us her plight.I hope she stays strong...

May 18, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  50. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Farrah Fawcett is very couragous by doing tis documentary.

May 18, 2009 at 10:42 pm |