May 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/18/09

Tonight on 360°, Farrah Fawcett's fight to live. The former "Charlie's Angels" actress is sharing her battle against anal cancer in documentary. 360 M.D. will have the facts on the disease. Who's at risk and more.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Emma

I had no idea how serious Farrah Fawcett's illness is. I actually didn't know about anal cancer......it's not something you hear about that often. When are they showing her documentary?

May 18, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Maureen T, Canada

I have to admire Farrah's fight! I truly hope she fights this to the end! Beautiful Farrah, didn't we all grow up with her? Unfortunately cancer touches a lot of people...

May 18, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  3. smoots - tulsa ok

mr gergen, (if you're still there)
    thanks for your voice out there.

May 18, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Shehan Jayawardena, Milwaukee WI

I'm Sri Lankan & can't believe the war in Sri lanka is finally over!! People are going crazy celebrating over there... Hopefully everyone has learnt from lessons of the past. Sri Lanka cannot afford any more strife.

May 18, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Dodie ~ California

Is this also inflammatory cancer?

May 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  6. azeez, Hillside, NJ

Will we ever find cure for cancer...it is so scary...

May 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

So sad, I wish her and her family well.

May 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  8. carolyn cee yah

ANDERSON, i dont understand the states and laws.
    they took parenting from the parents and calls it corpal
    punishment, but when you spake your child it's out of
    love and concern for that child not to do what ever they got
    spanked again. But these police will beat your with flashlight
    or stick or even kill them. what is punishment?

May 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I have tumor benign inside, that is Farrah Fawcett have cancer her liver inside.... my heart goes to her too. I want you know I have tumor benign!

May 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Malakia Doss

If a parent leaves a bruise on there own child big enough for someone to notice they are questioned whether it's for discipline reasons or not; sometimes they're jailed. Why aren't these cops arrested? If they boy was hand-cuff, there's nothing he could do to to harm them.

May 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Geez, Farrah Fawcett is truly an incredible woman.

May 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

cancer scares the hell out of me...hope she has the fight in her to keep going

May 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Esma

@ David Gergen-I can't wait for that special, and I still say that Judge Judy should be the nominee...I'm just saying.

May 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  14. starr formerly known as vincent

David Gergen

Thank you for your kind comments and your wisdom as well. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Thurs. Special – we will be watching and of course blogging (if we can).

May 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  15. Darcie, Vancouver, BC Canada

Farahh Fawcett, wow... Such a brave woman. I have seen family go through this and to see this happen to someone so passionate about her causes and her beliefs, it goes to show you that it can happen to anyone. I hope you will always get to hear the rain...

May 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  16. Anthonia-Califonia

@Jonathan-I think thats the real problem with the doctors that are suppose to make sure we're healthy and strong...

May 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  17. AlanB

Obama promised the gay & lesbian community he *would not* be just another politician. Now he treats us as untouchables and remains silent as new abuses mount. If he really gets it, you'd never know from his poll-dependant support. I'm starting to believe he'll *always* have an excuse. If we're a zero-priority item in the first term, he'll just find other reasons to ignore our oppression later.

May 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  18. Isabel

@ David, Indiana

I agree … Too soon to go at Pres. Obama
    There is still a long way to go, there is still much to do …

May 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  19. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I couldn't bring myself to watch the documentary. But my heart and prayers go out to Ms. Fawcett for a miracle recovery.

May 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  20. JoAnn_CA

Dan Choi was kicking out of military because he chose to break the policy. He knew about the policy before he joined the military and he chose to disobey the policy. He deserved to be kicked out of the military. It is very important for military personnel to follow the orders.

In my child’s school, there are gay guys try to openly seduce straight guys. Their behaviors have caused problems for straight guys whom they are after. Although these are a small number of gay men would do so, but it is very disturbing especially in the military that you live in a very close quarter.

May 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  21. LisaL - Canada

cancer is an ugly disease. my dad had lung cancer – he beat it back once with radiation. it came back a few years later. one of the last times i saw him, it had grown out of his back to the size of half a grapefruit. not very pretty.

farrah is a very strong person – it must have been difficult to create that documentary, though.

May 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Isabel

Very sad and touching!
    And Farah Fawcett is strong and courageous!

May 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  23. Marion

We are tired of being lied too by all the congress including Nancy. Some one in that high position should have their act together enough to be able to hold a news conference that makes sence. God help us if she is ever in the position to lead the country.

May 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  24. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I agree with with that @Daphne but still i wish thier would be no more abortion when is human life going to count from the moment of conception?

May 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Kristen - University Park, PA

Farrah's Story is so heartbreaking. Didn't know about the documentary but will definitely watch tonight.

May 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  26. smoots - tulsa ok

@ christine geddes

i agree!
    sounds to me like they are also trying to keep the fact that they're pushing thru a bill against global warming right now too. Wish I knew how to help stop it...

May 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Dodie ~ California

Very sad about Farrah! She is an icon and a very strong woman! Very tragic!

May 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson!!!!
    I hope not you don't fall sleep during the show! maybe David Gergen willing you wake whole the show.

May 18, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  29. Heather - Spokane, WA

I watched Farrah Fawcet's story and had to turn it off after the first 30 mins because i was crying so hard.

May 18, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Eugenia - San Francisco, Ca

Did we have an earthquake in Los Angeles? Because i didn't see anything about it on CNN!

May 18, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Cessy, Chicago

I saw bits and pieces of Farrah Fawcetts Documentary–she's a very brave woman! I very much admire her strength.

May 18, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Emma

I hope the Nat'l Enquirer reporters get punished.

May 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Anthonia-Califonia

That litlte boy was only fourteen? geez he looks like a grown man being brutalized by the police officers! good thing that police brutality was caught on tape!

May 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  34. Larry Pringle

Farrah has been thru enough it's time people give her some privacy and let her deal with this trragedy alone and with her family and friends.

May 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  35. Ron, Louisville KY

Whether or not I believe Ms. Pelosi, I do believe Bob Graham's diaries, which tend to support her more than the CIA version. Why don't more stories mention that version of the truth, and the fact that the CIA said they agreed with his version, rather than their own story?

May 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  36. starr formerly known as vincent

God bless Obama's "new rules" for cars and light trucks! This is something that has needed to happen for a long time – a REAL energy policy!

God bless Farrah F. – we truly pray that the miracle she believes in will come in time.

May 18, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Tarik -Durham I agree with you on the buliding of raods and education and bridges too

May 18, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Rikki, Fargo, ND

There seems to be a lot of bizarre stories tonight! What's the deal?

May 18, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  39. Raul Soriano

My question is? Are you gay? We have rights too!!

May 18, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  40. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Good to see you here tonight. Anderson is assembling a team of us tomorrow to tape an "Extreme Challenges special - what the President faces in coming months". Hopefully, it will be a deep dive and a good program. Think it is airing this Thursday night. Hope you will stay tuned.

In the meantime, welcome your comments tonight ... very wide ranging and once again, helpful in thinking about what we are going thru. Feels as if we may have a Supreme Court nominee very soon.

May 18, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  41. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

What purpose did that serve for the man to come to her house?

May 18, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Tarik-Durham (Bull City), N. Carolina

umm....give everyone a clean slate of A1 credit to build the economy back up. trust me...i am not an economist, didnt stay at a holiday inn last night nor did i attend MIT but i think it can work.

May 18, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  43. Daphne, Rutgers NJ

@Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont,
    from what I remember he said he wants to reduce unwanted pregnancy (which in turn would reduce abortion), and yes he did say encourage adoptions but he didn't say he wanted to ban abortion. From what I get is that he doesn't want abortion banned but we should minimize it. And he said something about giving support to mothers who decided to keep the baby. Instead of abortion, have the child adopted instead.

May 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Tom Anderson

Is Gergen kidding about Pelosi? Or more so kidding about his lack of objectivity? The story of Pelosi and what she knew and what she didn't know about interrogation techniques has nothing to do about her successful spin attempts on the other party. Zero. Be objective David, be real and discontinue the party line retohric. This has to do with her spinning the truth and expecting the American public to believe her. Please any chance you can be objective.

May 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  45. Nattada, Houston TX

Glad to heat the news about Aung San Suu Kyi. She is a huge hero of me and my college friends. She is such a brave woman. We had hoped for a long time that she is free one day.

May 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  46. LisaL - Canada

mr. gergen – i suppose in many ways nancy pelosi is as "tough" as a man – define tough please

one thing that has never been mentioned in the interrogation discussions – are there any differences in the "approved torture handbook" (or other sources) for interrogating men vs women? or is it all the same if it is the interest of national security? just curious.

May 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  47. Emma

It makes absolutely no sense that she's being punished when the guy showed up uninvited to her house.

May 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  48. David, Indiana

Much of what's happening with Speaker Pelosi regarding the CIA briefings is totally raw politics. Maybe she dragged the CIA into the fray because they needed to get in the pit with everyone else on this. She made one pt overlooked and that is at the briefing in question she was informed about interrogations that had already happend, not ongoing interrogations. And again obviously she wasn't Speaker of the House until 2007

May 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The protesters showed courage for standing up for thier beliefs Alan Keyes was the only politician with the guts enough to stand up for it too .

May 18, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  50. Minou, New York City

Reporter in Burma. Good job, CNN!

May 18, 2009 at 10:33 pm |