May 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/18/09

Tonight on 360°, Farrah Fawcett's fight to live. The former "Charlie's Angels" actress is sharing her battle against anal cancer in documentary. 360 M.D. will have the facts on the disease. Who's at risk and more.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. smoots - tulsa ok

@bill – irvine cal

that is it exactly. the extremists try to rule the world. hopefully our voices will be better heard in the future.

May 18, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Miguel, the military may protect democracy, but it isn't a democracy. You can't put policy to a vote of the military. DADT needs to be decided by Congress.

May 18, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Esma

I know that I'm going to sneak into Burma/Myanmar some day to adopt a kid or two. Not right now, obviously, but it's been something that I've felt compelled to do for a while.

May 18, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Kristen - University Park, PA

gill – north of 49: Thanks 🙂

May 18, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Tarik-Durham (Bull City), N. Carolina

the problem with our economy is that we dont trade enough goods and services to other countries at a higher tax bracket. this is due to the fact...honestly....american goods are more horrific than a wes craven novel. we dont build good products because we dont have the resources as far as certain materials. we need to trade more and do a better job here at making goods and services, get money from other countries when we sell, pour it back into the economy to build roads, schools, better educaton, paying teachers more, military refinement, etc.

May 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Miss J i meant to say it is true that people are dying from swine flu and what is the cause of this .

May 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  7. Christine Geddes

David why should the president come to the aid of Nancy? This is not school. These are adults and the truth will come out. None of the docs so far has proven that the speaker is not saying the truth. You know that if anyone had docs to disprove her story it would be out there already. This is just a cover so that the country will get side-tracked regarding torture. We are a decent law-abiding country and we we shamed by those in charge. I do not care what info was gained from it... it was wrong. God forbid that I should be caught in a foreign country, even if they torture me I would like to stand proudly and say my country would never have done such a thing... and if we did those in charge would be punished..

May 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Emma

@Mickey, I don't understand why it's sexist to question Pelosi's allegations. She accused the CIA of lying to Congress. I think it's fairly reasonable to ask that she provide some kind of proof. Are you suggesting that if a man made the same allegations people would allow him to get away with it?

May 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  9. Kristen - University Park, PA

Obama doesn't want to take away a women's right to chose. Its not that he is for abortion but doesn't feel its his decision. I think its nonsense but thats what I got his stance was. By reducing unwanted pregnancies and increasing adoption he hopes to reduce abortion. But IMO to abort 1 baby, is 1 too many.

May 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  10. ray rashid

i dont see why peopleare saying that obama broke a promise when he chose not to release the photos, i dont recall him promising that he will release these photos,and if so..he also told his nonsupporters qoute: i will listen to you especially when we disagree.

May 18, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

I will never understand Myanmar and their policies.....I would love some more historical background

May 18, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Marian

Enough about Nancy Pelosi – she asked to have an investigation but the Republicans just can't let it go – they lied to get to get this country into a war and they are judging Pelosi???. Talk about hypocrisy. The Israeli PM will not rest until he gets the US in a war with Iran. He is the worst thing the Israelis could have done for themselves. This man has never been for peace with the Palestinians and he will never do anything to stop the illegal settlements.

May 18, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, AC360 Teams, and all bloggers.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I am late tonight. and the first thing I see is scary scene of polices head lock a poor looking man. Waiting to see what happened to him.

May 18, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  14. mickey

Obama showed that you only project strength when you address tough issues head on
    walking out on a speaker is cowardly and infantile

May 18, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Miss J

Hi Anderson,

You don't sound tired but you sound like you have a little cold.

May 18, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Maureen T, Canada

Good evening Anderson. If you are a little sleepy it's not showing! By the way, do you not get the weekends off?

May 18, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  17. Miguel

Hi Anderson, I wonder why people that do not serve in the military want to dictates their rules. I believe this decision should be given to them, the members of our armed forces. They always do everything that we ask, so let them decide.

May 18, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  18. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I think that Myanmar/Burma is really just looking for a reason to keep her in prison...its not her fault some guy was dumb enough to break into her house...

May 18, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  19. gill - north of 49

@ Kristen in PA – Congrats on your Graduation – take time to enjoy the moment and your accomplishments.

May 18, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Cessy, Chicago

you're such a hardworker, Anderson! we appreciate all the work you and the AC360 staff do to give us these important news!

Who doesn't love government drama? what does the Pres. say about the drama between Ms. Pelosi and the CIA? I'm curious...

May 18, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Miss J

How can people be dying of swine flu ? I thought the issue was they had an underlining condition that cuased them to have more serious symptoms .But appaerantly it’s not true

No, it's true. That is still the case in the US.

May 18, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Anderson You don't look a bit tired .Did you feel the earthquake that hit California ?

May 18, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  23. carolyn cee yah

ucla huh that's great no you dont look sleepy.
    where was his wife and child are they doing well?

May 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  24. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

@Anderson, your sleepiness doesn't show on air.....but it seemed like on Friday it did.....

Besides, the Gergenator should keep you awake with his awesome smartness! 😀

May 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Jim Haavisto

Amazing after all these years we still use up valuable time debating this issue (gays in the military). I don't support the gay agenda but let those that choose to serve, serve. Nancy Pelosi has unwittingly damaged our national security more than any public figure, recently. Amazing how the "usuals" still defend her.

May 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Jonathan Wilson

I really think people need to get over themselves when it comes to Gays in the Military. How many gay people do you think are in the military now. At least twenty percent, I think I would be wondering more who is not gay and would be looking at every one as if they are. I think they should be more worried about haveing their backs are protected by one another. Rather than who is looking at at their back.

May 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Mark Spencer. We have an all volunteer force. No one has to claim being gay to get out. Just don't join in the first place.

May 18, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Daphne Rutgers it sounded to me like Presdident Obama was saying he wanted to reduce abortions and encourage adoptions all in the same sentence but why not abloish it all together.

May 18, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  29. azeez, Hillside, NJ

David G.!!! Man of wisdom... I completely agreed with David's view.

May 18, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Dodie ~ California

@ Heather – Spokane, WA

Yes, that is my point exactly!

May 18, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Bill - Irvine CA

The disputes about same sex marriage and abortion rights are questions of fairness and whether we as a country truly believe that the pursuit of happiness is blind to religious preference, sexual orientation, etc. We should expand MLKs dream to include sex and religion as well as color as shallow restrictions to freedom and rely more on an individual's character as the guiding quality that assures these freedoms.

May 18, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  32. Rogelio Fernandez

Hello Anderson and colleagues. Hope you all had a great weekend. Chilly night in NYC. Just when we thought we had gotten rid of the "Swine Flu" scare, a well-liked educator dies here in NYC. Sadness and hope it doesn't increase.

May 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Kristen - University Park, PA

Pelosi just seems to be fishy? She has made allegations she doesn't appear to be able to back up. Either she knew or she didn't and proof is in the documents so lets see them and move on.

May 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  34. Jim

Gays are already in the military...the question is what harm does leaving them in the military do. This ex-marine you have in front of the camera was probably in very close quarters with some and never knew it. Bet they didn't 'know' he was straight either.

May 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  35. Dulcie - Denver

I'm with many of the commentors here. While DADT and gay marriage are important issues, we need to give our President more time. He already has HUGE issues on his plate and these things need to be set up properly for success.

I think President Obama has done very well keeping his promises thus far. Yes, there have been some compromises, but he's always said that a spirit of compromise is needed in Washington.

May 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Emma

Pelosi made very serious accusations. If it's true, then there should be an investigation. If it's not true, it says a lot about her integrity. I don't understand why people are eager to brush this aside.

May 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

I'm surprised we haven't heard much from Cheney about the Pelosi matter

May 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  38. AUGUSTINE, Statesboro, GA

Anderson,
    Why are Republicans trying to divert attention. They are focusing on Pelosi yet they do not want a truth commission to reveal the whole truth. It is hard to believe Pelosi since she keeps changing her story. But how do we believe the CIA when they lied about Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraque, just like they lied about the effectiveness of torture. Besides, the current CIA boss was not there then.
    Pelosi did not authorise torture, let us focus on those who authorised and carried out torture.

May 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  39. mickey

THE sexist attack on Pelosi should awaken us to how the mob attack phenomenon is alive
    why is CNN not interviewing Sen. Graham

May 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  40. carolyn cee yah

HI ANDERSON/ERICA,

I believe nancy pelosi, the repulicans is chaseing their tails.

May 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  41. Cessy, Chicago

Hey, everyone...good monday evening. hope all is well 😀

Hi Anderson!

May 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  42. starr formerly known as vincent

Robert Zimmerman makes an excellent point re: can we overcome our differences enough to work together for the common good.

It was not so many years ago that Dem's & Rep's respectfully disagreed with each other (sometimes not-but really bad behavior was rare) and were still able to work for the good of the country.

Congress did not try to scare the wits our of the American people, or really really insult our intelligence with truly outrageous statements.

Take the Pelosi battle, the Rep's know that no info on those meeting can be released at this time. But, they will just keep pushing the "liar" button until they can create as much havoc as possible.

May 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Mike in NY,
    Congrats yor daughter! you are proud of her tonight! way to go!

May 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  44. andersoncnn

evening everyone.. sorry im late.. i took the red eye in from la last night so im a little sleepy.. hope it doesnt show up on air...

i gave a lecture for the annual Daniel Pearl Memorial yesterday at UCLA. It was really wonderful to meet Daniel Pearl's parents and sisters, who are working hard to keep his memory and his legacy alive.

May 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  45. Fay - California

Nancy Pelosi needs to clearly articulate what she did or did not know – have a truth commission or whatever it takes to get the facts out. The Republicans are using this issue to deflect attention away from the more important fact that the Bush Administration authorized torture.

May 18, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  46. azeez, Hillside, NJ

I am so sick of those people conflicting gay rights/marriage, this country need to move forward. I am married and Gays marriage doesn’t contest my marriage by any ways or means or hurt me and my family lives…

May 18, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  47. Kathy, Chicago

I know about JFK. My parents were Cathoolic and voted for him. I didn't want politics to ruin my children's graduations. Thanks Lauren for responding.

May 18, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  48. John Troll, Compton, CA

Good evening Erica,

My weekend was packed with kids, kids, wife's convention, and more kids activities.

How was yours?

May 18, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Tim J. San Diego, CA

I think it's about time for us to embrace all of our military service men and women gay and straight. To remove a person from serving to protect our way of life solely on sexual preference has no place in todays society. It's time for us to enter the new age of mutual respect.

May 18, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  50. David, Indiana

@Isabel, Hi nice to hear from you, yes, I had a great monday, spectacular actually, but I like the beginning of the week for some reason. How was your day? Missed you on the live blog last week.

Too soon to go at Pres. Obama about don't ask don't tell, maybe he wants to be successful in dealing with this issue.

May 18, 2009 at 10:21 pm |