May 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/18/09

Tonight on 360°, Farrah Fawcett's fight to live. The former "Charlie's Angels" actress is sharing her battle against anal cancer in documentary. 360 M.D. will have the facts on the disease. Who's at risk and more.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kristen - University Park, PA

Yes, DADT needs to be removed. It's a blatant legalization of discrimination and that is embarrassing for our country. Obama needs to do what is right not what is politically correct.

May 18, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Lynn

A comment should be made that there were only 3 or 4 hecklers and they were drowned out by the Notre Dame students with the chant, "yes. we can". The vast majority of the protestors were outside activists.

May 18, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I don't beleive that gays serving in the mittary should be kicked out because of thier sexual perfernce that doesn't make sense .

May 18, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica,
    I have great weekend, it was so awesome weekend!! Thanks!

May 18, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Tarik

okay..not to be rude but if an overweight american guy can swim across the water in some makeshift nautical gear, manage to slip past security forces and spend the evening with a renown nobel prize winner...what is the point of having security???

May 18, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  6. LorenaR

@Dodie – California, your comment on abortion – a well-taken opinion, and something that does need to be said! i agree. wholeheartedly.

May 18, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Jeff Myers

Not allowing gays in the millitary is not only wrong but, un-american. With the millitary's recrutment at a all time low you would think a serg in new recuts would be welcome.

May 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  8. Dusten, SC

It was okay by some to disrespect President Bush in the past and he continues to receive disrespect from some groups of people. President Obama seems to be above this and any negative statement about him is seen as unacceptable. People should be consistent when addressing former and current presidents and show them all respect even if you disagree with their politics.

May 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  9. Judith

Gays in the Military decreasing morale. Wasn't this the same argument that was used regarding integrating African-Americans in the military???

May 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  10. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

How can people be dying of swine flu ? I thought the issue was they had an underlining condition that cuased them to have more serious symptoms .But appaerantly it's not true .I think i want to run for the hills too.

May 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  11. Lauren--NY

Thank you to the 360 team for keeping Myanmar in the headlines. Well done.

May 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  12. Minou, New York City

It's funny to me that everybody wants to beat up Pelosi now, but nobody seems to dare to do the same to Cheney and Rumsfeld...

May 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  13. Mark Spencer

I don't get it, on the don't ask don't tell people they keep saying that soldiers were kicked out by the army. Were they not kicked out by their own decision to go public with the information?

And if I were in the Army and wanted out and on honorable discharge I guess all I would have to do is say I am gay.

So, are these really gay people or people taking a loophole to get out of the service, it sure beats going AWOL.

May 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  14. Kristen - University Park, PA

Hello Erica...weekend was great. I graduated from college and now am a full fledge adult. Hope yours went well.

May 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  15. Daphne, Rutgers NJ

Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I thought Obama's speech was about reducing unwanted pregnancy, not the abortion itself. So he's not saying that he wants it banned but he's not for it either.

May 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Miss J

Brooke Shields should sue those folks for millions. The nursing home and the tabloid. Crazy stuff.

May 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  17. Dodie ~ California

No president barges in to speak at a commencement. They are always asked and most people are very excited.

In my experience, graduations are always large and not private.

May 18, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hello Erica, I spent the weekend at my daughter's graduation from the BU journalism program. 3.9 GPA.

May 18, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Rebekah

i really can't understand people NOT wanting to overturn Don't Ask Don't Tell or NOT allow same-sex marriage. aren't lesbians and gays PEOPLE? they are and that means that they deserve the exact same rights that straight people have. how can anyone POSSIBLY say anything otherwise? by saying that gays can't marry, people are just saying saying that they're less human than everyone else. and about "serving in close quarters"... WHAT? that's just like saying men can't serve with women because maybe some people think that men can't contain their "feelings"... just plain discrimination and generalization and i don't like it.

Thank you SO much for having Robert Zimmerman on tonite. i loved just about everything he had to say =]

May 18, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  20. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

I love Huckabee's Pelosi poem! I'm using for an assignment for school....

May 18, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  21. Lynn

I object to everyone laying blasme on the women...many men are actively involved in their decision either by their absence or their pressure to do so.

Prolife means believing that it is a person's right to make that choice. It does not mean that a person believing that is for abortion.

22. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Happy Monday to you Erica !

23. Lori from IL

I support repealing "Don't ask, don't tell." I really think President Obama does, too - but have a feeling he's waiting for when the time is right and he knows he can get the legislation passed.

24. William Courtemanche, Texas

Your show is just great! I love the way you dig up the facts on today's stories.

25. Richmond Pam

Zimmerman is really standing up to Perkins who is an embarassment to the majority of the Marines – He and his 14% should leave the military and the country!

26. Patrick

As a member of the GLBT community, I think we need to give President Obama more than 100 days to move on agenda items specific to our community.

27. Antya, Erfurt

I think we really should give President Obama time..

28. John

In the military and all aspects of our social society, men and women sleep, bathe, change clothes and use restrooms separately. It's because sex matters and requires certain separations. How do you manage a homosexual in the same light? The discomfort issue must be considered for both the homosexual as well as the non-homosexual. The liberal view isn't the only view and thus it isn't a default correct view.

29. Barbara in Boston

I've never been in the military and I don't come from a military family, so I can't say from experience how our effectiveness is impacted by gays in the military. However, if someone like Lt. Dan Choi, an Arabic-speaking West Point graduate, who led a platoon and served two tours of duty in Iraq, is kicked out because he's gay, how is "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" helping our country?

30. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

These issues of gays in the military is a non issue i don't understand the diffrence between serving thier country and having thier lifestyle how does that interfer?

May 18, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  31. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

32. Darren Ex-navy

I am an ex-military officer.

I fully agree with getting rid of the DADT policy.

Gays and Lesbians are Americans.

Some also serve our country as soldiers, airmen and sailors.

To uphold the rights of every American.

Let them have their rights as servicemen and women.

33. Kristen - University Park, PA

Dodie: I respect your opinion, I just don't get it. How can you get an abortion and not be for them?

34. Fay - California

There simply is no justification for DADT to remain in place – it is an idiotic policy that removes qualified, skilled and committed people from the military when it's clear that we need MORE of them to serve.

35. Jen

I am not gay and I am not brave enough to get enlisted to fight in the military. Shame on President Obama for not stepping up to honor ALL Americans who list in the army – regardless of their sexual orientation. What if people said "I won't fight if there are African Americans in the military?" This is prejudice plain and simple.

May 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  36. Heather - Spokane, WA

I watched Obama's graduation speech yesterday and with all the protesters and people inside yelling from the audience at him, he handled himself and the controversy very well.

May 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Pres. Obama never broken promise any thing wrong..... too early to say.

May 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  38. ericacnn

good evening, bloggers. i hope you all had a good wkd and start to the week

May 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  39. Andrew-PV

One more point re Mr. Perkins - now those who favor equality are a "radical" group? And Anderson, you let him get by with this? This is disgusting.

May 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  40. Esma

Why are people still afraid of gays and lesbians? Why do straight people continue to flatter themselves by thinking that just because someone's homosexual, that automatically makes straight people "game"...get over yourselves, most of you don't even make the straight cut!!!!

May 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Jonathan Wilson

Most doctors and hospitals will not even test someone for swine flu unless that person has a respiratory problem. The test is only a swab of ones nasal passage.

May 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Isabel

Anderson and Dr. Gupta,

I’m in transit and when I step into an airport, I feel fearful with the swine flu.

In Panama, before leaving the plane, the crew offers masks to passengers and many people are using.

Already in Florida, I thought people were reacting to
    Similarly, but not.

Are the care being left aside?

May 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  43. LorenaR

@Esma, your comments are well-taken, and I agree with you.

May 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I have to agree, there are more important things to focus on than whether or not homosexuals should be able to openly serve in the military. If they want to serve our country faithfully and bravely they should be able to. They too are citizens of this great country!

May 18, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

i would love to say I'm straight and then tell the military the only way I'm going to discharge myself is to have them prove it.

May 18, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Erica and Fellow Bloggers -

I don't think President Obama has abandon his supporters on these hot button issues. I think he knows that he is more concerned with getting the economy fixed and healthcare reform passed - I think these issues will be addressed, but he's trying to gather support right now for these issues and doesn't want to create a distraction until healthcare is passed.

May 18, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hi Anderson

President Obam's speech was hypocritcial in the way he worded he stance on abortion .Why the need do reduce it ?That's like saying to reduce the child abuse in the world there should be a law banning it for good.

May 18, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Lynn

Wasn't it just two weeks ago we were hearing that Pres/\. Obama was trying to do too much.

Re : Military commissiions: Then Senator Obama stated clearly that he was FOR military commissions but NOT under the draconian rules Bush had placed on them. Pres. Obama has changed these rules especially allowing defense lawyers greater access to pertinent info. to defend their client.

Re: Don't Ask Don't Tell: Pres. Obama has clearly stated that he feels this issue must originate and be passed by Congress.

Re :Releasing the photos: Pres. Obama has repeatedly said he would listen to his military advisirs and they told him it would endanger the troops. He also has been clear he wants to look forward and tackle the problems that are pressing to the country.

May 18, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Dulcie - Denver

Man, I really don't care for Tony Perkins. His answers are always knee-jerk Christian conservative and his views hold little water with me because I don't subscribe to religion infringing on public policy.

Gee, what a surprise that Perkins' friends are all homophobes. Who'd have thunk it?

May 18, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  50. LorenaR

@Kathy – Chicago. when the academic community chooses to honor a president, it is indeed a wonderful and awesome occasion. I remember John F Kennedy coming to San Diego State Univ in June 1963 (a long time ago) everyone was honored, even those who didn't agree with him. Maybe because San Diego doesn't get honored very much 🙂

May 18, 2009 at 10:13 pm |