May 16th, 2009

Dear President Obama #117: Notre Dame et Notre President

Reporter's Note: President Obama has asked for ideas. I’m sending a letter each day to the White House. I have not heard yet if he regrets the invitation, but I’m wondering...

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/03/24/obama.bishop/art.notre.dame.afp.gi.jpg caption="The University of Notre Dame says its invitation doesn't mean the university agrees with all of Obama's positions."]

Tom Foreman | Bio
AC360° Correspondent

Dear Mr. President,

I’ve put off talking about this Notre Dame speech fracas for about as long as I can. I understand and respect that many people take it very seriously, this business of you being honored by a Catholic University while supporting abortion rights. I also understand that while some Catholics strongly object to you being there, half or more of them, according to polls, think you should make the speech anyway. I’ll leave it to you and the folks there to sort it out, of course.

But I did want to write a bit about this business of defending one’s beliefs in America, because it is a sticky wicket as the Brits might say. (I’m not kidding. I’ve heard them say things like that. It’s pretty cute.)

There is an old joke about a preacher meeting the town slacker on the street.

“Look at you,” the minister says, “drinking, lazing about, gambling, ignoring your family. Don’t you know God wants you to do better?”

“Yes, I know,” the man replies.

“Don’t you know He is watching all you do?”

“Yes. And I’ll take your words to heart.”

“Good. Then I’ll see you sober, clean, and in church Sunday?” the minister says.

“Hold on,” the man says, “now you’ve gone from preaching, and you got into meddling!”

I fear our society, writ large, is not sure how far faith should or should not go into the land of public policy; we’re not sure how much we can or can’t render up to Caesar; we’re not in agreement on what constitutes preaching and what makes up meddling.

I admire people who stand up for their beliefs, even when I disagree with them. I admire them more, if they respect others in the same way. To that end, I remind myself that people of faith, of all kinds of faith, have done great things for our nation precisely because their faith guided them to action; however, faith, run rampant, has also led to great travesties.

I tend to think all kinds of voices should be heard in all sorts of places. Often I think both liberals and conservatives talk about free speech a lot, but only when the speaker is someone they agree with. (The Internet, btw, has magnified that effect like nothing else. Just try drifting into a heavily partisan blog on either side of the political divide and suggesting the opposition has some decent ideas; you’ll be chased out of town faster than Miss California from a gay bar.)

And yet oddly, I think most of us benefit when we hear more, not less, from the people we disagree with. If our ideas are sound, they will stand up to the challenges of someone else’s argument. If not we may learn something. And in any event, we may all find between the preaching and the meddling, real communication about real issues.

Look. There I go preaching again. Sorry to meddle.

Hope your weekend is a good. Call if you get a moment, although not sure where you’d keep your phone in that robe. Ha!

Regards,

Tom

Find more of the Foreman Letters here.

1. Geri

Sunday, 5/17/2009

I heard the President's Notre Dame speech today, and it was very good. He spoke well, and in a way of reaching a common ground, ie., respect and options that would negate the need for abortion. Let's face it folks, we have an intelligent young man leading us as our nation's President. And later hearing naysayers such as Radio-Talk-Host, Mike Gallagher on Foxnews, try to throw negative comments around, as to Pres. Obama being fit to give the Notre Dame commencement address was totally uncalled for.

Mike Gallagher is trying to rise in the ranks of the GOP and he figures the way to do it is to stick to uncooperative and negative comments when it comes to anything the Obama Admin. does, but he is wrong. He has a big mouth and stated that he's of the Methodist faith now, "but was raised Catholic, and still hold with many of their teachings."

Give me a break...
    Mike Gallagher plays on the sympathy of his listeners everyday with constant talk of his deceased wife's cancer struggle, and will not let her R.I.P., because keeping her illness alive, keeps a sympathetic audience for him, and he knows it, and he plays it to the hilt everyday. And he had the nerve to say Elizabeth Edwards is using her illness as a crutch. Talking about a pot calling the skillet black, he's really got it bad !

May 17, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  2. BOB DOLE

The PARTY of PATHETIC aka the GOP has found its ONE TRICK PONY in ABORTION. I dont believe that this has ever been much more than a football that RELIGIOUS NAZIs use to promote their ultimate goal of a RELIGIOUS THEOCRACY being opposed in AMERICA. AMERICA was founded by PEOPLE TRYING TO ESCAPE RELIGIOUS NAZIs and of course they were followed by them anyway. The FOUNDERS of this COUNTRY knew that CHURCH and STATE must be kept separate to keep the RELIGIOUS NAZIs at BAY. IF the GOP NAZIs want a WAR in this country to RESOLVE this ISSUE,as a combat VIETNAM VET ,I will fight them with RESOLVE, for sure..

May 17, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  3. Charles L. Morse Sr.

With all due respect . This debate should be in house with the students dicission . They worked for this education and if they want Obama to speek , their choice . If not it is their choice . When they graduate they are very likley 21 or older . They are grown men and women .We need to start having individual opinions . Let others have theirs and stop trying to force others fallow ours . Students in my opinion should have the say on this issue . Not the rest of us . Protest Obama if you have a problem , but not at the expence of those students that worked and earned that piece of paper .

May 17, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  4. Dave

Yes and they let the abortion pres speak at the Catholic universtiy I dont believe its catholic anymore. Noone stood up against the murder of innnocent unborn babies. The big wheel catholics there should be ashamed of themselves. IM CATHOLIC and i didnt vote for the abortion pres. As far as im concerned thats not a catholic instution anymore. None of the so called priests/cardilnals etc didnt even speak against him. WHATS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY. Of course the ones who were against abortions were jailed, so we know now what freedom is. THERE IS NONE. You wait the new health system will entail euthanism for the elderly also that the new system will say are not worth keeping around anymore. thats how the new gov health care sysytem will be. ALL LIFE IS AND SHOULD BE RESPECTED. GOD CREATED IT AND WE MUST UPHOLD IT. obama isnt god. but sure seems to be going that way doesnt it?-or possibley the anit christ. This is not right in this free Country to be jailed etc to stand up for life.

May 17, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  5. Lurlena

Mr. President: Outstanding speech!! You continue to inspire and motivate the best among us, to do even better. Never forget that you have indeed been sent to heal the world. Keep up the good work and may God continue to bless you and your family; and the entire U.S. as we continue to forge a better world; and more peaceful method of negotiation across the board.

May 17, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  6. Annie Kate

The debate, if one can call it that, over whether Obama should make a speech at the graduation of Notre Dame, is disappointing at best. A higher education program, like college, is not only suppose to impart to us the knowledge required for our major areas of study, but it is also primarily suppose to impart to its students the opportunity to listen to all sides of an issue and to respect each of those sides whether the person agrees with them or not. In protesting Obama's presence at the commencement, many people have shown that in their own individual case the higher education institution that they went to, and I assume Notre Dame is it, has failed. One can have a strong opinion on a subject and not compromise that opinion and still listen to and respect the opinions of others. In a university setting, the inclusion of people with diverse ideas should be the norm not the exception.

May 17, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  7. Meem

I am just wondering, if the church claims this, abortion, is a spiritual issue ... why do they fail to see the spiritual value of choice? If God put us here to make our choice freely and does not make our choices for us, why do we insist on making these choices for one another? Isn't the whole point to use knowledge to find the wisdom to make a better judgement, and i doing so perhaps avoiding ever having to make that choice in the first place.

Who's life is worth more, the mother or the child's? If your wife, daughter, mother, sister, or friend was raped by a vile and malicious man ... and she chose to have an abortion would that not be murdering the spirit of the victim? Something we will never understand, and some choices we will always have to make for ourselves, this choice is one of them.

May 17, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  8. Nina Vallion

Being Pro-Life is meaningless unless the doctrine includes not only protecting the unborn fetus but all the living people, especially the beautiful young people that we send into a battle, a war, wth the knowledge that they are being sent to be killed, or maimed and psychologically damaged.
    Aborting an unwanted pregnancy is nothing compared to knowingly sending a fully developed helthy human being to be killed in a senseless war! Partial morality or religiosness does not count. "Thau shalt not kill" applies to all people, not just the fetus.
    I am a catholic and I am pro-choice. I would have a hard time deciding to have an abortion, however there is absolutely no way that I would accept or allow anybody telling me what I can or cannot do in treating my body and dealing with my conscience.

May 17, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  9. Anita from Texas

My question is this...do you have to be catholic or pro-life versus pro choice to attend and graduate from Notre Dame? If not, it would seem taking issue with President Obama being honored by this university is somewhat ridiculous. All graduates are honored at their commencement and I would think that any one person's political or social views would not impact that. Barak Obama is the President of the United States and he should be honored for his role and other contributions versus focusing on this one issue.

May 17, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  10. Frederick Smith

Where was the protest when the catholic priests were accused of molesting children? I didn’t hear much protest from the great Notre Dame when this was going on. I see all of these priests coming on Fox and other news networks with their holier than though comments but I wonder if some of them are preaching one thing and living another?

I think the problem that the Notre Dame Judgment elitist have is not with the President’s beliefs or his honoree degree. But I think it directly goes to his race and their dislike of his being elected President. If we can’t have teach diverse ideals and allow independent thinking at our institutions of higher learning then have truly lost our American way.

Norte Dame needs to get over their fear of change and change with the rest of the world. If Catholics have to be strong armed into their beliefs and threatened not to listen to alternative ideals and beliefs then we as believers in the Roman Catholic Church have already lost.
    So I say to the priest that is crying out. Pay attention to the Vatican, be silent listen and continue to preach what you believe and allow others to do the same.

May 17, 2009 at 1:49 pm |
  11. kim

I think we are more grown up that to demand that the only people who come on a campus are those who agree with our beliefs. Isn't college about learning about all ways and thoughts in life. Isn't it about respect for differing viewpoints. To be more specific, in 2006 my daughter graduated from the New School for Social Change in NYC. This extremely liberal college invited McCain to speak. People were not happy but there was no "drama". Students and parents who did not agree with him simply stood and turned their backs to him. When he finished they turned around and sat down. I was willing to give McCain the benefit of the doubt and listen to him out of respect for his service to the country and his stand against torture. Unfortunately, with his "canned" speech and lack of response to the real issues and the crowd, I decided that he must be the stupidest person in government. I knew there and then that he was not capable of thinking on his feet and he lost any support I may have felt for him......however, I listened and made a decision. Can't everybody give everyone else a chance???

May 17, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  12. Terry, TX

Mr. Foreman…..This isn’t the President’s fault…he accepted the invitation. This is Notre Dame’s fault…they just should have never invited him.
    His approval of abortion, partial birth abortions and using tax money to perpetuate this is why he is not an acceptable speaker.
    Do I believe the invite should be rescinded….no….too late.
    Do I believe the invite was from a democratic religious person….yes… and when we have people in Christian Universities who put Politics over their Faith…that’s a little creepy.

May 17, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  13. ronvan

Just another example of how "SOME" people are so self-centered that they cannot accept the fact that others have different opinions.

May 17, 2009 at 8:45 am |
  14. rhona davis

I think the school should have chosen someone with more beliefs of the Catholic Church for this speech. I have, however, seen the Catholic Church do what they want, the way the want, when they want to get what they want. I am not Catholic but if I were I would be in an outrage for the Church to be enforcing and teaching a belief so strong as abortion and then honor a man who is so pro abortion that he said if one of his daughters found herself needing this procedure he would drficnitely see that she had it because he did not want her life to be ruined.....this is a very strong controversial dichotomy of opinions...If he were a Catholic and publicly voiced his known opinion he WOULD BE THROWN OUT OF THE CHURCH!!!!!! But because they seem to be a member of that cult that is so enamoured with this president (I know the President should be capitalized but I do not think this one deserves it).. I am appalled at this nation following a man like Germany followed Hitler and Italy followed Mussoulini.....PREPOSTEROUS. Our nations is definitely loosing the values we were founded upon and have been taught until Univeristies began seeking out Left Radical Professors from other countries to teach our vulnerable college age students. I fear we are nearing something we will not be able to tolerate because there will be no USA to come and rescue US.,

May 17, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  15. Richson

Tom, I have always admired your thoughtful letters to the President. I hope he spends time reading a few lines here once a while. As for the Notre Dame yada yada.... I know Americans are smart enough to discern the mad-as-hell GOP activists disguised as catholics who cannot simply come to terms with the fact that the nation has elected the first African American to be President. I recall some of the so-called 74 Bishops riding high with George Bush, the death penalty and war crusader in-chief without such expressions of outrage. Ironically, the controversy has trashed out the hyprocrites and separated the political opputunists from the genuinely concerned.

May 17, 2009 at 5:16 am |
  16. William Courtland

I thought it important of Presidential interest for such an occults existance to be properly promoted as a true entity of evil in this functioning globe. The western culture is easily manipulated and law allows a great many things to be free to function which do direct harm to individuals of innocence: with the intent of making them stressed to a level of threat of life which creates a violent response: and hypnosis at lengths can entice a great many beliefs to become sureal to justice and the quality of living of an innocent person. PTSD: as induced by ones self inception.

May 17, 2009 at 4:19 am |
  17. Stan

Sorry for miss spelling Norte Dame. I hope readers get my mesage regarding the 2 issues.

May 17, 2009 at 3:47 am |
  18. Stan

President Obama at Norte Dame: The Catholics at Norte Dame and everyone else need to really understand, it's a woman choise to have a baby or not. It is also a choise for same sex marriages, which I think is appaling. I'am glad he fully supports marriage between a man and a woman. Same sex marriages, where children are invloved simply ruin and mess the children up for life. Marriage, between a man and a woman is honorable and they can reproduce if they so choise!! If you can't reproduce, it's not thing people should get invloved with. I lost my brother to aids, because he was Gay wake up people.

May 17, 2009 at 3:44 am |
  19. Eric

I grew up in the church, but I'm just getting tired. Indeed, I'm not going to church today. I'm thinking about create one inside my own apartment. Or may be move to Houston, so I can attend Joel Osteen congragation. He is the only one making sense right now

May 17, 2009 at 2:48 am |
  20. Derrick

Why can't people live by the bible they read. We judge when the bible clearly says not to. President Obama is being judge by those that are better than Jesus or even God our Father!!!. Why Judge? is all I have to ask all these Catholic God fearing people.

May 17, 2009 at 1:51 am |
  21. Tim of Mississippi

All of the conflict of the president is really about underlying racisim. For Arizona, the last state to approve MLK day, to say that the first black president has not achieved enough in his life to warrant a degree is rediculous and smells of hidden racism. And for ND to object to him him speaking there is also a bit racist, if he were white a murdered more people than any sitting president , I suppose he would have no problem. I think we have to examine this issue.

May 17, 2009 at 1:47 am |
  22. Lurlena

Dear President Obama:
    Men and women of reason and good moral conduct, know that there are moral, legal, ethical and medical issues surrounding ideas like abortion and stem cell research. We also know that at the end of the day, God gave us free will, as well as the possibility of forgiveness when we happen to inflict grievous harm to others, especially those more vulnerable than ourselves.

That being said, at the heart of this current crisis lies the matter of the peace that God wants us to maintain in all discussions of Life issues and the necessity for respect for and love of our neighbor. According to the late Pope John Paul "Respect For and Development of Human Life Require Peace [which] is Not Merely the Absence of War, and is Not Limited to the Balance of Powers Between Adversaries [and] Cannot be Attained on Earth Without Safeguarding . . . FREE COMMUNICATION AMONG MEN, Respect for the Dignity of Persons and Peoples and the Assiduous Practice of FRATERNITY. Peace is: the tranquility of order . . . . the work of jusitce and the effect of charity. "Blessed are the Peacemakers.

Where is the 'tranquility of order", "the fraternity", the 'peacemakers" and the "charity" among these protestors??

I don't know if this helps. Taken From The Catechism of the Catholic Church by Pope John Paul II.

May 17, 2009 at 1:16 am |
  23. Jessica

As a Notre Dame student, I must say that I am deeply offended by the protesters. While I fully support freedom of speech and believe that the seniors in the graduating class have a right to protest their own graduation, I am appalled that outsiders would use our school's graduation as a platform. Graduation is a celebration of the hard work students put into their education, not a chance for others to use our school as an example.

Moreover, how dare anyone suggest that our school president or student body is not Catholic enough. Barack Obama is the President of our country, and it is an honor to have him speak at graduation. Having him speak does not diminish our Catholicism. Furthermore, I fully support my university repaying that honor by giving the President an honorary degree.

And for those who suggest that President Obama should not be given an honorary degree because of his liberal views, I ask you if the university should not award me my degree when I graduate in 2011, just because I am a pro-choice, Catholic democrat?

Father Jenkins said, "You cannot change the world if you shun the people you want to persuade, and if you cannot persuade them, show respect for them and listen to them." How are we to grow as students and citizens if our universities cannot serve as open forums of discussion? However, please leave this discussion to a time other than the ceremony and do not turn our university into a circus. You have a right to your opinions, but you do not have the right to ruin one of the most important moments in a student's life.

May 17, 2009 at 12:21 am |
  24. Jill Bee

Please Rick ask you viewers for me..

I never could understand what happened to
    “Judge not less thee be Judged” Or let God be the judge and jury ?

Why don’t religious people follow the bible to the letter ?
    Why do they only pick the parts that don’t interfere with their everyday life’s ?
    Like Sherry Shepherd ( with all her abortions ) and Sarah Palin (having sex and getting pregnant before marriage) and then go postal on every one after they are done and want to change the rules ?
    Were was the up roar when all those catholic priest were raping little boys ?
    I say get out of our lives and seek to be better your self and your relationship with God. God doesn’t need a co pilot It’s God !

May 17, 2009 at 12:10 am |
  25. LorenaR

I find it so hard to believe that some would BOYCOTT their own graduation because the President of the united States will be speaking, and they don't agree with him. John F Kennedy spoke at my graduation June 1963. I was so proud and honored.Isn't this a case of "the graduates doth protest too much" – ? is anti abortion so sacred? So, if it came to that, would they give up their own lives to save a human fetus?

May 17, 2009 at 12:06 am |
  26. Jill Bee

I never could understand what happened to
    "Judge not less thee be Judged" Or let God be the judge and jury ?
    Why don't religious people follow the bible to the letter ?
    Why do they only pick the parts that don't interfere with their everyday life's ?
    Why do what they want like Sherry Shepherd ( with all her abortions ) and Sarah Palin (having sex and getting pregnant before marriage) and then go postal on every one after they are done and want to change the rules ?
    Were was the up roar when all those catholic priest were raping little boys ?
    I say get out of our lives and seek to be better your self and your relationship with God. God doesn't need a co pilot It's God !

May 16, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  27. Christine

I would like to add my two cents. In this great country we are supposed to have freedom of choice, we are supposed to be able to make our own decisions. What has happend to those rights. What happend to a" government for the people by the people." Where does the government stop telling me what I can and cannot do ? Thank you for letting me bend your ear.

May 16, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  28. Jack A. Carter

With ND being noted as one of our institutions of higher learning and a religious school, they seem to be running short on intelligebce. If the Almighty God and his son Jesus Christ is willing to give us the freedom of choice to follow or not to follow him, why can't the Catholics Church accept President Obama giving women the freedom of choice with abortion?

May 16, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Lurlena

Anderson: The unparalled integrity and love of humanity that has propelled Barak Obama to the forefront of our 21st century world is deeply apparent to all conscientious human beings, including those of Roman Cathiolic persuasion. This senseless rethoric about 'pro-life' beliefs is mute in an arena where we, Catholics have and are still making anti-life choices. E.g. separating 'Black' Catholics from 'White' Catholics in the U.S. and consistent refusal to offer equal employment opportunities to people of darker complexion and obvious negroid features. I am a good Catholic; and I know Jesus is frowning on heir bad behavior in front of one of our most prestiegeous institutions of higher leartning., I am a graduate of both John Carroll University in Cleveland OH and Seton Hall University in South Orange NJ. and I know there is absolutely no way these dissenters cound be men and women of high moral character.

May 16, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  30. Annie, Texas

I can't believe people are actually missing their graduation ceremonies because of this. What bandwagoners. They are only doing it for publicity.

What is the glory in telling your children "I chose to stand out of my own ceremony because the most popular man in the world was speaking."?

May 16, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  31. Annie, Texas

Have all past Notre Dame speakers been Catholic?

May 16, 2009 at 8:36 pm |
  32. W. Bishop

In general, I feel it is selfish and childish for students to protest commencement speeches of any kind. Why ruin the moment for students who just want to be honored?

If Notre Dame students and Arizona State students do not believe that becoming the first African-American president is a "significant achievement", then I think the entire class of 2009 of both schools should not receive their degrees.

Let's face it, this is not about acheivement, not about religion, nor about politics. Both schools are notirious for discriminating against African-Americans. That's why whenever you see students at these schools talking about this issue, for or against, are always Caucasian. There are not African-American population is pretty much non-existent. If they do exist, they would be stigmatized for "going against the grain."

It's about race. Period. That's why Arizona declined to be the first university to give an honorary degree to the first African-American president. Only a racist students, like those in Notre Dame, would try to disrupt a commencement given by an African-American.

Flunk them all for being racists.

May 16, 2009 at 5:13 pm |
  33. Janco

The Catholic Church, in my opinion, has used this issue to disenfranchise many elder blacks who wanted to vote for Obama. It is a good issue to come out with to hide their very racist attitudes and practices. I was raised Catholic and still practice but it has been hard to withstand racism in the church. I ran from Katrina in 05 in New Orleans, and have settled in Shreveport, La. in the N/W of La. Racism here is influenced by the eastern Texas (Dallas) archbishops. They gave us a letter calling Ocama, the intrensic evil the Sunday before voting day. Obama was their evil, not abortion. I say the Catholic Church leaders are the intrensic evil and should stay out of politics!

May 16, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  34. E.J. Dupre' III

It seems so hypocritical that the same people to complain about the presidents views on abortion, are in most situations, having sex before being married.
    BOTH are mortal sins.
    SIN IS SIN !!!

May 16, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  35. Guddy

Enough is enough. What are all the Catholics thinking who they are? I can believe it with how much arrogance they are talking about our President. Keep the church out of politic. I wish that President Obama cancel the invitation. They don't deserve it. They invited President Bush and he was for dead penalty. Mr. Obama is not for killing babies, he is for democracy. Every woman has the right to decide for her self, decide with her family and with her church. This is only what it mean to be pro choice. Pro life means a violation for the women, when they don't want to have the baby. Where is the church, when the woman can not take care of the baby? The government can only give the option to help the woman with her decision. Why it is so difficult to look oversea, to take some information from other country, how they are handle this issue.

May 16, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  36. Tammi

The President speaking at this school has nothing to do with his veiws, in fact they knew them when they asked him to speak there; I think many protest too much. A commencement address is about new beginings and heaven forbid someone may have a different point of view....but then again that's not what he's there for is he?? People will do anything to get into the spotlight.

May 16, 2009 at 4:54 pm |
  37. Pat G

Hey,

Thanks for your thoughts on this very touchy subject. I Think this is a good way to look at all of this. I know this is not the first time a speaker has opposed catholic views so this want be the last.

May 16, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  38. val peterson

Well now, you self righteous parishoners, if Barack Obama were not the elected President of the United States and was running for POPE of the Catholic Church, maybe all the controversey regarding him speaking at Notre Dame might be warranted. People who have had so much controversey regarding their Priests misconduct should not be casting the first stone.
    Come on biasis Catholics your segregated beliefs are showing !
    An X-Catholic

May 16, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  39. Joyce Ann Harri

I do not understand the hiprocracy of Notre Dame University Students and some of the administration at President Obama' s speaking for the graduation ceremony and receiving an honarary doctorate of Law. There was no outrage when President Herbert Walker Bush and President Regan spoke there. They were for Capitol Punishment which Catholics oppose, but there was no protest. What is this really all about?

May 16, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  40. Loretta Koon

I don't have my pulpit handy, so I guess I'll just have to enjoy a quiet weekend. Loved the letter. Rest your funny brain (intelligent, too) and gear up for the next big week.

May 16, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  41. Tara C. Gallagher

I am a catholic and I am pro-life. I voted for Mr. Obama for many reasons, the most important one being, I thought he was the best man to run the country (He actually paid attention in ethics class).

Pres. Obama has said he believes in the sanctity of life. He wants to see the youth of America become more educated and look at their options. The two options he has strongly supported are educating our children about abstinence and contraception. He has also talked about more adoption and foster care programs.

It's a new world and many catholics are struggling with pro-life issues at the moment. I believe the catholic church must become more progressive, our world is changing and dynamic and the church must embrace change for a changing society.

I fully support Pres. Obama giving the commencement speech at Notre Dame; I wish I could go and be inspired, because he does inspire me. He and Mrs. Obama make me want to be a better person for myself and my community.

May 16, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  42. Peter

What you trying to say Tom?

May 16, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  43. beaudry4d

Love your show and especially love your specials

May 16, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  44. Eye's Wide Open

The Trojan horse called, common ground, is what it is!

May 16, 2009 at 12:43 pm |
  45. VITA ZEMAITIS

Educational institutions such as Notre Dame should support U.S. laws. Most people including many Catholics are pro-abortion. We need population control and abortion should be included. However , I feel the issue is , timing as to whn the abortion is performed. Not after the third month, at least that 's what my thinking is. Quality of life is more important than life itself.

May 16, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  46. Michael C. McHugh

Obama should just turn the tables on the Religious Right by broadening the whole discussion about religion in public life beyond the narrow terms of the most conservative elements in the churches. Now is the time to revive the social gospel and the vision of martin Luther King, and for the churches to start focusing on poverty, hunger, unemployment, health care, and issues of war and peace. he could also remind his audience that the Catholic Church has a great social justice tradition, but one that has been almost lost and forgotten in the last 20-30 years, all but drowned out by a very noisy and angry right wing.

May 16, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  47. Eye's Wide Open

Beware of the Trojan horse called common ground!

May 16, 2009 at 10:02 am |
  48. handyman randy

anderson, the people mad about president obama at notre dame might not be upset about abortion, what about the whole musslim issue. could that be playing on them as well

May 16, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  49. Terry, TX

Mr. Foreman.....This isn’t the President’s fault…he accepted the invitation. This is Notre Dame’s fault…they just should have never invited him.
    Do I believe the invite should be rescinded….no….too late.

May 16, 2009 at 8:34 am |
  50. Andrea Short Hills, NJ

I just don't get it. No one wants to have an abortion. It's more of a need to have one, for reasons often unspoken. Or not have an abortion. It is choice that makes the difference. Not all students and faculty agree with Pres Obama's policies or beliefs. Some may agree some may not. It's choice that enables them to do either. Viva la difference! Viva la right to choose.

May 16, 2009 at 8:20 am |