May 15th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/15/09

Tonight on 360°, who's lying? House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the most powerful woman in Washington, or the head of the CIA? At issue, who knew what and when about terror interrogations. We're keeping them honest.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on tonight's headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Miss J

I'm sorry but if someone is saying that he or she is going to kill me – I'm probably not going to 'snitch' either.

I would send an anonymous letter though... with gloves so they couldn't track me down with my fingerprints.

May 15, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  2. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

@ Jean MS...Thank you for that information. That's what I was referring to earlier and you made the point much better. What's interesting is that I've only heard that once since this story broke. Good job!

May 15, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  3. Jonathan

I hope ASEAN will be more forceful concerning the Burma situation. Our Prime Minister here in Thailand is "concerned" and hopefully some actions can be taken to she her freed. She had nothing to do with the American's actions, he was not invited.

May 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Why can't they find in their heart to display kindness for their learning institutinon.

May 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  5. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I am unfamliar with Ani Defranco music she seem very interesting .

May 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  6. ana

Anderson

Your comments regarding English Pubs, made me laugh....and cringe at the same time.

Thanks!!!!,

May 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  7. Martina Ilstad

Hey Anderson
    I can not understand,that the wold can not do anything again Myanmar/Burma political regime?

May 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Becky

I wouldn't mind the protesters of President Obama if they were equally protesting the moral abortion of the pediphiles who claim to be men of the cloth. I don't want my grandsons being alter boys in a Catholic church. Hypocrisy plus double standards at its finest in the name of Catholics. Where's the Christianity?

May 15, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  9. mickey

I commend Notre Dame for allowing free speech and thought. The attacks on Obama are so hypocritical since people who support the death penalty were speakers

May 15, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  10. Lori from IL

Myanmar is a pretty scary place today - and the Burmese people are a pretty peaceful lot.

May 15, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  11. David Gergen

Hello everyone - to return to the Pelosi vs. Panetta squabble today, my own view - one I expressed earlier before this all broke out - is that the country should learn the truth about what happened in the Bush years (including these briefings of Democrats and Republicans in Congress).

But let's stay away from sensationalized inquiries that dominate the press for weeks at a time. We need to focus our attentions and energies right now on getting this economy going again, creating jobs, fixing health care, and addressing climate change. So, in the background, let's have some quiet inquiries about the past - but let's keep our eye right now on issues that are urgent for our future.

May 15, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Maureen T, Canada

Great reporting Andy and thanks for Ani's song!

May 15, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  13. Miss J

I've always been afraid of dogs ever since I was a little girl.

May 15, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Rebekah

@Anderson – loved how you snuck that little tidbit about you sneaking into Burma into your conversation about Burma. remember reading about that in your book haha

i'm never able to understand why these people who help make life better for so many get arrested or killed/tortured, etc. it just doesn't make any sense no matter how one looks at it...

May 15, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Erica or Anderson playing a joke no indenity theft invloved in this posting i presume . I am gald you agree with stop snitching Erica it's so unjustly for these poor victims.

May 15, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Randi Dennis Portland OR.

Baltimore is just a symptom of a larger, scarier problem. There is a culture of violence, a culture that devalues life which has all but taken over aspects of urban life, in particular those of african americans, where employment and edcuation attainment statistics are abysmal...and may not get any better ans the economy goes further into the tank.

There are solutions at hand to this, but it may not ring very well with the PC crowd and those include a drastic change in the culture [even the weed and seed method of urban renewal] or for the police and law enforccement to b stepped up. Almost in the vein of an 'occupation force' to arrest and destroy the criminal element.

The parents and schools also need to be a part of this from day one, to teach some type of value structure which respects life. It will not be easy to do any of this, but if nothing is done, Baltimore and other cities will bare a resembelance to the overseas warzones we send our millitary to which are controlled by ruthless warlords.

May 15, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  17. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Ratna, Ive been listening to them for a half an hour now, haha

May 15, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am disappoint with who is mormon going to sneak into her house, was arrest him by police or military.......... not good idea.

May 15, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Mary

Thank you for having the Burmese issue on your show. Now that is real news.

May 15, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Julie - Boston

Hey Minou – they are the same place. Burma is the Union of Myanmar.

May 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  21. starr formerly known as vincent

Is there Anything that the Free World can do about Burma? (Myanmar)

This country's people, monks and any person who supports Democracy have been badly beaten, arrested and killed. Burma's people do not have enought to eat.

Thank you Ani Defranco for speaking up about these issues.

May 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Kim U

I am Carl Lackl's sister and not only does the witness intimdation law need to be passed but we all need to call congress to pass the law that jams cell phone signals in prisons. They are voting on it next month, and it has been proven they it will not disrupt the signals of those who live around prisons.
    We have recieved alot of support from people, but please don't let my brother's death be in vain! If you see someone in need help, if you see a crime report it. If not evil wins and we become an uncivilized society.
    Just always remember do the right thing!
    My family has been through hell and back but I am proud of my brother the goverment just let him down and did not let him know how dangerous the person was he was about to testify against was.

May 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Myanamar is a country in need of help i agree it is not safe for the people such unrest they need more police to arrest and get the law enforced.

May 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  24. Emma

@Minou, Burma is officially known as Myanmar.

May 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Dodie from CA

Erica Hill – lol I think Anderson might do that on purpose? Do you think?

May 15, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  26. niwat, Chicago

@David Gergen, fantastic opinion as always.The quarrel between the house speaker and CIA had gone a bit like finger-pointing.I don't think either of them lied on their position.There seemed to be misinformations between the capitol and the Bush Adm as Bush and his administraion might have not relased the water-boarding as one of the interrogating techniques when the bill was introduced.

May 15, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Maureen T, Canada

So great to see Ani DiFranco! She's so cool!

May 15, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Esma

I love Ani DiFranco!!! How awesome that you had her on the program!

May 15, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Dodie from CA

Anderson: Wonderful story on Burma!

May 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Rebekah

Starting early in school, kids learn not to snitch on those who do bad things. The guy in baltimore who was killed because he snitch is a really a wake up call to our government about the harsh realities that are going on in our country.

May 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  31. ericacnn

no worries, AC – i agree with the stop snitchin' comments so it's ok to have my face next to them

May 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Lori from IL

Anderson, I agree that the stop snitchin movement in a problem and needs to change - however with all the violence today, this movement is very effective....playing into people's fears.... will be hard to change

May 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Anderson you could have fun with posting as Erica .umm the possbilites.

May 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Minou, New York City

This poor woman. They robbed her of her life! I wonder if she will ever be free. She is such an inspiration and so incredibly strong. What a woman!

May 15, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Jean MS

Nancy Pelisi has been backed up by Former Senator Bob Graham who was head of the Intelligence Committee (retired in '05). He was kown for keeping copious notes each day for the 30 years that he was in office, down to the color of the suit he wore each day, who he talked to and even what he ate and what time. He talked to the CIA in the last day or so, and he was told by them that the committee was briefed four times in September of '03 and the specific dates. He told them his notes showed that the committee was briefed only one time in September '03. The CIA had to back off because their notes were wrong. Now, who do you believe?

May 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

David Gergen,
    Yes, I agree that! I think they are investigationing against Bush administration about its torture policies! That's against law, can not torture them at all!

May 15, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The dog is fine he has a broken leg according to a report i saw earlier .

May 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Minou, New York City

hmmm, Anderson says Burma, but the caption reads Myanmar....
    It is Burma!

May 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Esma

Myanmar is a country so in need of so much help, and crazy people swimming and shacking up with people under house arrest are not helping.

May 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Ratna, New York, NY

Hi Erica,

Someone is leaving the webcast micropone on in between breaks, because I can hear people talking and Anderson Cooper talking on the background on the show.

May 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  41. John

The solution is to "sanction" gang members and repeat offenders. Get them off our streets permanently. If it's a war they want, give it to them. The same goes for terrorists. No long trials, no endless appeals, no incarceration in a cushy prison to learn how to be better criminals. Put their heads on pikes as a warning to other criminals. Give the cops shoot to kill authority for known gang members. Put down the dogs!

May 15, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  42. Cessy, Chicago

how about American Man of Creepiness???

May 15, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  43. Rachel

I don't think that Pelosi is lying about hat she was told, and when she was told. We were all told that we (our country) did not torture. But, now we are being told by Mr. Chaney, that the torture we used worked. My feeling is that waterboarding is torture, I ould not like to experience it.

May 15, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  44. Don, WA

That's a great story about the dog family – I wish a dog knew when we had good intentions – they don't always trust us – that say's something about us – it is the lesson of the dog.

May 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

We all should look out for one another.

May 15, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Marian

I have been thinking about that dog story all day – so glad to get a followup.

May 15, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Miss J

Hey Anderson – about the pub story – I thought you could say the same thing about New York! Ha!

May 15, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  48. LisaL - Canada

i DO hope that mama lab is ok – what a touching story from last night – instinct is an amazing thing

May 15, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  49. Lynn

I wish Fareed had a nightly show. Americans would be much wiser about the world if CNN would do that. One hour in the middle of a Sunday is not good enough. Not only is he wise, he is gracious rather than people that the audience knows which side they are on telling at each other. That informs no one.

May 15, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  50. mike,sarasota fl.

It depends where you are sometimes you got to keep your mouth closed

May 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm |