May 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/13/09

Tonight, we'll take you live to Arizona State University where President Obama will address the graduating class. His visit drawing controversy when the school refused to grant him an honorary degree, saying he basically hadn't accomplished enough. We'll also look at Pres. Obama's controversial speech at Notre Dame this weekend. Some believe a Catholic university should not honor a president whose views on abortion and stem cell research run counter to church. Text us your questions on this topic. Just put the initals A-C, your name, location and question in the text and send it to 94553.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on Pres. Obama's college tour and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Of course the safety of the troops come first. I have no problem with the 'flip-flop'. Too bad he didn't think of troop safety when he released the interrogation memos.

May 13, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  2. Danielle

President Obama did a great job! I think it is small of Notre Dame to have an issue of the President coming on campus. It is the complete opposite of what a college is about. He is more than a guest speaker he is your President.

May 13, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  3. Barbara in Boston

I loved Pres. Obama's speech, very inspirational.

Also, VERY happy to have two hours of AC360 tonight. Wish we had it every night,

May 13, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  4. Emma

@Esma, if I'm not mistaken, the university didn't have a problem with Pres. Obama speaking at the ceremony. They just didn't want to give him the honorary degree

May 13, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love Keep them Honest to drop plans release those detainees photos..... Thanks Ed Herny!!!

May 13, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Tell ASU students,
    Congrats students Class of 2009!!!!!! I am proud all of you will be quick graduating soon!!!!!! Yay!!!!

May 13, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  7. Krasi, Houston, TX

Great show tonight! Thanks everyone for sharing opinions!

Now I'm off to see friends on the East Coast:)

May 13, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  8. steven, arizona,

prez. obama in my belief use to speak like jfk when he was runing for office, just his tone and the way he presented his message, but now once in office it seems to have changed, he brings us a new still young but ferm voice, to be able to us humor, and yet be serious, is what has me listening to so many of his speechs, they seem more like him instead of some people in a back room writing them, i do think he could use some late night talk show writers though for some jokes.

May 13, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  9. Larry

Yes I agree with you Jen. An inspiring, educated, honorable, insightful and loveable speech... hinting in areas of being an ambassador & displaying and using your hidden talents for the good of others

May 13, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  10. Shillie, Phoenix, AZ

@ Brandi – bottom of the boot

Kind of my thoughts too! From what he stated just now and what Obama stands for, don't you think he'd appreciate a scholarship in his name so someone else can get a education rather then receiving an honorary degree? But still, I'm surprised they didn't change their mind on giving him one.

May 13, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  11. beth

Obama is doing an amazing job.

May 13, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  12. Barbara in Boston

Pres. Obama turned the insult of not having accomplished enough for an honorary degree into the core of an entire speech - your work is not done.

He also sought to inspire the graduates to realize there is more to life than making money.

May 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  13. Dulcie - Denver

I'm certainly inspired, Anderson. Then again, I don't think I've ever NOT been inspired by our President. He has such a huge body of knowledge to draw on and is an incredible orator.

May 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  14. Fay - California

Wonderful speech by the President – it's difficult not to feel inspired by his message of not resting on your laurels and continuing to grow and learn.

May 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  15. Kristen - University Park, PA

Jonathan Wilson: yes graduating seniors do need more words than actions, but I took Obamas speech as saying now go act.

Like Steven from Arizona said:

go get a job america, if there are none create one……plain and simple

May 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  16. Esma

Et tu, Notre Dame? You don't want someone like this speaking and being honored at your University?

May 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  17. mickey

Disagree with Gergen this time–the speech was fantastic with telling people keep striving and keep learning
    as Obama says success is not measured by how much money you have–look at Madoff
    Be Better Americans–volunteer–
    Great Speech

May 13, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  18. Adriana RM Marietta,Ga

He gave these kids some good ideas about life and jobs. Pres Obama you rock !!!

May 13, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  19. Don, WA

The president's speech made not only the graduating classes, but everyone in america the class of 2009.

May 13, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  20. Belinda Arriaga

Anderson,
    I am a proud and devout practicing Catholic, but I see a very different side to the issue regarding Obama and Notre Dame. Just as much as they want to denounce abortion and vilify Obama, they should denounce war, killing innocent children around the world and praise Obama for trying to bring the world together. I am proud he is speaking at Notre Dame..embrace the good that he does.

May 13, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  21. Heather - Spokane, WA

Great speech! I like how he thanked all the grandparents. I cant begin to thank my ghrandfather and my late grandmother for the help they have given me. No one can stop learning and no one's body of knowledge is done, and that student with 4 degrees......you go!

May 13, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  22. starr formerly known as vincent

WOW...that was a great speech.....i especially liked when he reminded Americans how we became a Super power, reminding us that fellowship, caring, innovation, etc was what made us special. That America's principles were half our success!

May 13, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  23. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@Miss J,

omg....totally hysterically funny!!! lol

May 13, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  24. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Congratulation ASU 2009!

May 13, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  25. jordan mcquirter

I tohught that wpeech was well spoken. He reached out to many people and appealed to all.

May 13, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  26. LisaL - Canada

yes – there is ALWAYS more to do, learn and achieve. that was probably my favorite phrase from his whole speech.

May 13, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  27. gail

Boy, the students of Notre Dame have a treat coming if this is an example.
    He was very inspiring.

May 13, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  28. Lori from IL

I love our president and I'm loving this speech. (Much better than my commencement address many years ago.)

Many have commented on President Obama's robe - a bit of trivia - colors are determined by the institution he attended, color/hood-stole determined by level of degree held, and stripes on sleeves I believe indicate doctoral degree - President Obama holds a JD degree (doctoral level).

May 13, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  29. Rachel

President Obama is inspirational!!!!!!!!, and he can be funny

May 13, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I like his speech!!!! That's great speech for him tonight!!!! he is inspired my life!!!!! COOL!

May 13, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  31. Linda

This Man is Great

May 13, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  32. Miss J

President Obama gives me faith. He's just amazing.

May 13, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  33. Greg, Austin Tx

Well I'm inspired and I'm not even graduating.

May 13, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  34. Krasi, Houston, TX

What a great speech! Feel proud to have listened to it and wish I had been there. The mention of all the successful people who became successful after many failures was truly inspirational!

May 13, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  35. Brandi - bottom of the boot

hey David Gergen!!!! i love our humble POTUS!

May 13, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  36. Phil

Caroline,

I think you're right, but he uses personal anecdotes very little. It makes it very difficult to discern his own history from his speeches in an accurate manner.

May 13, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  37. vanessa from silver spring, MD

amazing speech. he got me all inspired.

May 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  38. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Ok, I'm inspired! 🙂 I love to listen to that man speak!

May 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  39. Annie of Auburn, Ca.

What a speaker! ("Coop"...big fan of your reporting for years!) Our President imparts much of what this country and some generations have forgotten. Wisdom, history and good old common sense and values we all need to try to live and re-discover.

May 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  40. Miss J

I know that President Obama was going to say this next –

"And no one thought that a really scrawny shy guy with chicken legs taking his cheap video camera to Africa to film war zones would ever become a famous journalist today.. but he did!"

May 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  41. Jonathan Wilson

He is inspiring for sure, but these kids don't need words they need actions. As they go out to look for good paying jobs, those jobs will be taken by people here working on one of the many HB work programs. These programs need to be abolished and given to this students graduating from our colleges.

May 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  42. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@Shillie, Phoenix, AZ

thanks! and kinda strange since he must wear their colors but they wont give him an honorary degree! lmao

May 13, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  43. Jen

Pres. Obama is so on point! Inspiring, educated, honorable, insightful and down right lovable!

May 13, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  44. Jennifer- Santa Ana, CA

@jbtempe... his point was to keep trying to better yourself not that there is no light at the end of the tunnel

May 13, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  45. kayjonescnn

Love how the President mentioned Kurt Warner and the Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl.

May 13, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  46. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

I like how he throws in football and partying to make sure the kids are still awake 🙂

May 13, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  47. gail

He took the words"body of work" and flipped them around. As I said before, quite simply, Brilliant.

May 13, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  48. Elena

Oh, he is GOOD!!!!

May 13, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  49. Miss J

This President is so beautiful.

May 13, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  50. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

In Obama's first commencement speech he made a partying joke. He knows us too well...

May 13, 2009 at 11:23 pm |