May 13th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/13/09

Tonight, we'll take you live to Arizona State University where President Obama will address the graduating class. His visit drawing controversy when the school refused to grant him an honorary degree, saying he basically hadn't accomplished enough. We'll also look at Pres. Obama's controversial speech at Notre Dame this weekend. Some believe a Catholic university should not honor a president whose views on abortion and stem cell research run counter to church. Text us your questions on this topic. Just put the initals A-C, your name, location and question in the text and send it to 94553.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on Pres. Obama's college tour and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Krasi, Houston, TX

The photos should not be released and the memos should not have been released. Most people are not ready to see them and protests against the practices without a clear understanding of what went on could bring unnecessary negative impact.

May 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  2. Lynn

Mike in NY: The memoes added something new to the torture history; the photos were more of the same and a picture will incite more emotion than a memo.

May 13, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  3. Barbara in Boston

@ Tim G – isn't it a little early to be talking 2012?

May 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  4. PeggyAnne

We dont need to know!
    This is ridiculous. Everyone knows Obama is correct now and is silly about his primary promises. Bush's foreign policy and Secretary of Defense Gates are correct. So leave it alone. Obama just grew up!

May 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  5. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think the photos should be released to show everyone that we were lied to by our last administration and to make those who lied to us feel ashamed that they lied about it

May 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am glad that the president has decided not to push to have the photos released. I’ve been against it from the start…

I agree with Rikki! I am also glad the president is right thing to do drop release detainee photos.

May 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  7. Miss J

Kay,

John McCain gave the commencement address at my graduation!

May 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  8. Bev

Yes, it'll be awesome and five students will get college scholarships, who needs an honorary degree? LOL

May 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  9. Brandi - bottom of the boot

As an American, I think the POTUS is letting out all the dirty secrets that occurred under the prior administration because the people should know about them. I dont think he is trying to smear America.

May 13, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  10. Lori from IL

Good evening Anderson, Team 360 and Fellow Bloggers -

Glad 360 is live for two hours - looking forward to President Obama's commencement address at ASU tonight.

May 13, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  11. Cessy, Chicago

The tornado video is amazing....with regards to the Pres. previous decision to release the detainee photos and now dropping it-what was he thinking in the first place?

May 13, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with Rikki! I am also glad the president is right thing to do release photo daintees......

May 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  13. kayjonescnn

I'm anxious to see what the President tells the graduates, and if it resonates with them in the future. But I honestly cannot remember who gave our address when I graduated from college. Obviously it wasn't the President. Can you?

May 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  14. Fay - California

The detainee photos should be released – President Obama has been making decisions that mirror the Bush Administration and that's not what those of us who voted for him want.

May 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  15. PeggyAnne

I say its about time Obama listened to George Bush and Dick Cheney.

May 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The only people who want the photos out are Al Queda and the ACLU. Birds of a feather...

May 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  17. Lynn

Haven't Americans had ebnough of the stubborn, stay the course of the Bush years when he refused the advice of the generals and invaded Iraq with inadequate resources and he and Rumsfeld refused to send in more troops and caused needless injuries and deaths to Ameican soldiers and Iraqi.

It took political courage for President Obama to make this decision. No one knows when the military made their objections known so forcefully. Do people want the right choice or not. I believe the pres. made the right choice.

May 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  18. Scott Stodden

If I was the President I would have been offended, to say he has not accomplished enough is ludacris and out of this world, and to the bishop who said he wouldnt attend the commenment your not a true bishop

May 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  19. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

I think we already know about prisoner abuse, talk to any soldier from Vietnam.... ones that have been POW's we know the horror.....

May 13, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  20. Vanessa, TX

Hiya Anderson..Erica..my smartees..Good Evening to all..
    wow..2hrs of AC360..ok..that's great! POTUS has inspired me since his inauguration.

May 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  21. Nattada, Houston TX

Good evening Anderson, Erica, AC360 Team, and all bloggers.

I am happy to hear that 360 is live for 2 hours tonight. Too bad I can stay for only 1st hour.

The video from iReport looks so scary. Try to be safe and leave fast next time whoever holding that camcorder. That tornado looks really scary closed to you.

May 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  22. Miss J

Not to put any crazy ideas in Anderson's head but how come he will "chase" hurricanes and not tornadoes?

May 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  23. Cristina

Hi Anderson, Erica, David G,

Looks like a great show tonight...

May 13, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  24. Cessy, Chicago

Hi everyone! Yeay! Two hours of AC tonight!

looks like Anderson has a lot ot cover-look forward to this!

May 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  25. Kristen - University Park, PA

2 hours live, wow. thanks for bringing us Obama address.

May 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is so scary for him too close tornado!!!!!! Please be careful where you are going........ my heart goes to Missouri!

May 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  27. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! The President ALWAYS inspires me!

May 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  28. Tim G

Welcome to Arizona and ASU Anderson!

May 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  29. Esma

Great story, Mr. Henri, I do understand both sides of the argument on releasing the photos, and I'll be able to sleep with either decision.

May 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Vanessa

I am glad that President Obama is keeping his commitment to ASU. ASU gave a nonvalid excuse, in not presenting him with an honorary doctorate. No problem, I (POTUS), increase my exposure to my voting constituents, enough said.

May 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  31. gill - north of 49

Evening everyone – the week's almost over and Friday is just around the corner – yay! Looking forward to another POTUS speech – how can you not be inspired when listening to this world class orator –

May 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Why is it that these photos inflame the enemy and put our troops in danger, but the interrogation memos don't? Neither should have been released.

May 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I am glad that the president has decided not to push to have the photos released. I've been against it from the start...

May 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

So cool about the tornado, hope the ireporter knew to stay parallel with the storm...

May 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Jonathan Wilson

Perhaps the President is trying to protect the abusers, ,maybe some of them are military officials.

May 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Miss J

It makes me wonder if that Tornado Chaser show is still on. Dangerous but kinda fascinating.

May 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Tim G

Native Arizonan here, and I view President Obama's visit to our State as nothing more than a political "stunt" to sway Arizona voters for his re-election in 2012.

May 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson, Erica and my fellow evening conversationalists! Hope everyone had a great day! Weekend is just around the corner! 🙂

Anderson, I have no doubt in my mind that President Obama will inspire me tonight! I am very much looking forward to his address! 🙂

May 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Miss J

Hi Anderson Cooper, Kay, Erica

May 13, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good evening! This should be an exciting evening!

May 13, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  41. Brandi - bottom of the boot

goodevening everyone! looking forward to hear what POTUS has to say!

May 13, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  42. Krasi, Houston, TX

Good evening! Don't want to be anywhere near that tornado.

May 13, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Miss J

Whoa – I can't believe he went that close to that tornado. That was scary lookin.

May 13, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Edurrado(Ed Henry) David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    I love blog 2 hours tonight! what treat for us live blog and I am watching Pres. Obama at Arizona State University tonight! he inspired me so much, I love his speech! Can't wait!

May 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  45. Martina Ilstad

Hey Anderson
    Again sleeplesss in Germany,so i will watch your show.Thank you for good and fair information,so that people can make their own minds.You will have a two hours tonight,hard wok for you.

May 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  46. kayjonescnn

Evening bloggers. Scary stuff out of Missouri tonight

May 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Esma

Hey everyone: Anderson, Erica, David Gergen, all at AC360, the Tribe, and all the bloggers!
    Two hours live? Bring it!!!

May 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Brandi - bottom of the boot

yay us!!! 2 whole hours of fun!!!!

May 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

Happy Wednesday everyone! This commencement thing is scary..I'm graduating in a few weeks! 🙁

May 13, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. andersoncnn

welcome everyone.. we're live for two hours tonite...we're going to bring you the president's address at asu tonite..the whole speech live.. its his first commencement address as President... lets see if he inspires you tonite.

May 13, 2009 at 9:52 pm |