May 13th, 2009

'I’m tempted to become a Republican. They need me'

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/08/22/art.capitol.dome.cnn.jpg]

Garrison Keillor
Salon.com

Only one out of five Americans is willing to describe himself or herself as a Republican these days, and frankly I am tempted to become one of them. For the variety, and because they need me and because when I heard former Vice President Cheney talk about the meaning of Republicanism the other day - "We are what we are," he said - I felt drawn to the simplicity and dignity of that. And I have never been a Republican, just as I've never been to South America, and that makes it tempting.

I look at pictures of Machu Picchu and think, "Why don't I get on a plane and go?" And I look at Dick Cheney and think, "This man needs friends." I voted for Obama, and will vote for him again in 2012, Lord willing, but in the meantime, it's a free country.

And it is just a whole lot more satisfying to be part of a militant righteous minority than to be in the anxiety-ridden confused majority - to be a nightrider and ambusher rather than one of the people in the long wagon train - to be free to juke around and say wild stuff and know that it doesn't make a dime's worth of difference.

Read More...

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Raw Politics
  1. Elle

There is really nothing wrong with Republican's political views. Honestly, I agree with some of the things the party believes in as a Non-Partisan that veers 90% on the Liberal side.

It's more in social settings that I'm a 100% Liberal. Putting their foot in their mouth is a constant annoyance I have with Republicans.

The Democratic Party once was filled with hate and tradition views. After realizing that that the party can't continue without change, and revamped the views to fit society.

My point is that maybe the Republican Party needs to get together and take a hard look at what is important. The only way the party can move forward is to realize when things are not working out as planned.

May 13, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  2. Bruce Franklin

If you go Republican, you will receive all of the party line. You will find you are on the opposite side of the issues that they hold dear. It is a question of ideas.

Do you think like they think?

I don't think so.

Take the environment for example.

Stand Strong!

May 13, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  3. De Ann

At first, I thought, 'What Anderson is losing it!' But then I read on and chuckled and thought differently.

Been luvin ya Anderson since Hurricane Katrina.

May 13, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  4. Casey

So you'll change your ideals and political opinions to be different? Thats unrealistic, and Dick Cheney is a murderer who doesn't need friends.

May 13, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  5. Melissa

No they don't. They need to change their ways.

May 13, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  6. Sandra

I am a Republican and will NEVER vote for a Democrat. But I wish there was a third party that had a viable candidate to vote for. I think the time has come to throw out both the Democrats and Republicans and start over.

May 13, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  7. Bruce Hoff

I think the Republican party has just about played themselves out. The American public is sick of business using the middle class to enhance their wallets and the Republican party is business. They, like many businesses, do not deserve a bailout until they can run a business that doesn't require the need for unions to ensure employee fair treatment. You don't often see unions supporting Republicans, for good reason. Take a quick look at the airlines. They played the fuel cost card to gain a Temporary fee for baggage that would offset fuel costs (which we already pay for). This allows them to charge a higher rate for a ticket without appearing to raise ticket prices. Now that the fuel costs have declined, so has their pledge to remove this Temporary fee. Our country needs to rid itself of these Republican Fat cats and ripoff business execs. Let them both go belly up somewhere overseas along with the jobs they allowed to be exported. Have the Bush's, McCain's, Palin's, Joe the dimwit, etc. all line up on the shore line jump in and lead the other rats to another shore.

May 13, 2009 at 11:41 am |