May 12th, 2009

Dear President Obama #113: Republicans gone wild

Reporter's Note: President Obama wants suggestions. He’s asked us all to help. So in addition to my continuing studies on how to make the perfect Nutella and banana crepe, I am writing a letter a day to the White House.

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/30/art.steeleseal0330.gi.jpg]

Tom Foreman | Bio
AC360° Correspondent

Dear Mr. President,

So you launched this whole health care reform business, replaced the big brass over in Afghanistan, and watched a space shuttle launch all in the same day; must be quite a page in the old day timer. Good luck with all that. You don’t need me to tell you that reforming health care is a long, rough road. Just ask Hillary Clinton. And as for Afghanistan, I’m not sure whether the new guy in charge should get congratulations or condolences. I suspect, like my Aunt Mazie’s derma-peel, it’s going to get uglier before it gets prettier.

But here is one more item for your to-do list: It is high time for you to fire off a thank you note to Dick Cheney and the Republicans.

If any voters have any doubts about voting for you last fall, the GOP seems hell bent on helping them sleep better a night. Republican players are sniping at each other like the Crips and the Bloods in old L.A, and the former Vice President is passing the ammunition faster than peanuts at a ballgame.

The real weirdness is that the Republicans are doing precisely what your party was always famous for. Democrats, for ages, seemed ridiculously inclined to run around fighting with each other, making citizens nervous about their ability to run a church bingo game, let alone a superpower. Only a few years back I asked Democratic strategist Paul Begala what he wished he could have from the Republicans, and he said, “Their discipline.”

Not so much any more, I suspect. While your party basks in the reflected sunshine of your popularity, the Republicans are allowing a civil war to rip through their ranks. Seriously, it’s like they’re being paid off to throw the match. The more they fight each other, the less can they fight you. The worse they make their own party look, they better your party appears by comparison.

Admittedly, there is a potential down side. Weak opposition can make a president and his party sloppy and lazy. If you can railroad through any idea, why bother working up a good one? So there is a reason for some caution. But for the moment, the main thing you need is a blank thank-you card and a pen. It’s been a long time since a Democratic President has been giving a welcoming gift like this from the Republicans.

On another subject of much greater importance: Did you see the game last night? Wow, what a smoker! When it went to overtime I could hardly breathe. And then when Steckel steered that last shot home…ahh, that was hockey. Better than hot biscuits.

On to game seven! Go Capitols! Call if you want to come over and check the highlights on Tivo.

Regards,

Tom

Find more of the Foreman Letters here.

1. Terry, TX

Mr. Foreman...did Belago and Carville...oh...and the CNN employees who now work for the White House give you your talking points for the week?
    While you run the Republican distraction strategy for the Democrats... what about the trillions the White House has crammed through...the union pay for play...the Jeffery Immelt pay for play...ACORN pay for play...the carbon taxes he's about to hit us with... Do you even in care...don't worry about the Republicans...try talking to the people who are disgusted with what is being done with our tax money.

May 12, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  2. KatchProFILMS

Good game. (There's a diner-like breakfast place on Bainbridge Island – Sea... homemade biscuits - some of the best. (And I am a true "foodie'.)

You and your wife should partake some time.) Thanks for the arcticle.

May 12, 2009 at 1:55 pm |
  3. Melissa

lol. I completely agree. They're like vultures circling their prey. Only the prey is themselves.

May 12, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  4. Rodney W

well Mr Foreman,
    I would like to thank you for an intelligent reasoning; though
    I disagree or accept little defense of their political
    behavior. While it is true they are trying to find their
    footing,many of their tongues are filled with poison and vile
    underpinnings of the early 1900's when the country was ruled by
    virtually all white males. Though this might explain why they
    are talking as they are; it reveals old racist belief systems.

I don't write with anger and I pray you will understand my
    writing. I agree that the Dems were in a state of disagreement, but it
    can not be compared in same terms. But I thank you so very much
    and look forward to reading more of your writings

twitter/My2centworth

May 12, 2009 at 9:37 am |
  5. Elise

Ah, the Republicans; self righteous, confused, boring, two-faced, opportunistic......Jesus Christ himself cannot raise this doomed party from the dead! Even worse, they cannot find one single member who is crazy enough to put his ass on the line to try to "save" it(remember Bobby Jindal, lol).

May 12, 2009 at 9:37 am |
  6. Well Put

I agree again. How can the GOP expect Americans to believe in their plan when they can't even agree on one internally? "We've got it all figured out, but we just don't know what it is we've figured out." A couple words of wisdom: "Going faster when you're lost doesn't help." They should change their motto to: "We don't know where we're going, but we're making record time."

May 12, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  7. Naryssya

Can I get a what,what and a toot toot, hootey hoooooooot to their peanut eating a–'s and let them eat cake...

May 12, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  8. Martin

Great Letter. But no matter how weak the Republican Party gets, President Obama knows he has to be on his A Game. He's still the first African American President and expectations are Higher than Ever. President Obama's every move is under a microscope, so he can't afford to make weak decisions. Too many eyes are watching.
    When did we ever watch the First 100 days, 200 days??? Previous Presidents weren't even watched the first month. Who are we kidding? No matter how disfunctional the GOP appears, he can't let down his guard. This scrutiny of every move and Mandatory accountability, and transparecy will make him one of our Greatest Presidents ever!

May 12, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  9. syed

i was a republican .no more i am with president obama ya.
    not a deom also.