May 11th, 2009

Video: The President's Funny Side

Program Note: Tune in tonight for more on President Obama's speech at the annual White House Correspondent's dinner on AC360° at 10 p.m. ET.

President Obama mixes serious talk with well-placed humor at the annual White House Correspondent's dinner.

1. Bryan Tender

It is refreshing to see a President take humorist shots at himself and the people around him. I enjoyed watching President Obama basically roast himself......never in my life of time have I seen a man in his position have so much style as well as charisma. As a American Citizen I'm honored to have President Barack Obama as a representative of the United States, and so far a proven leader for the people of this country.

May 12, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  2. Mladen-Mike - Sweden

This is for me a big moment seeing a new fresh blood steaming with a rich sense of humor from the President of the USA. No need to say much, but Obama is the man that should have been present way long before. This was awesome to see & hear. Hats off to him!

May 12, 2009 at 7:36 am |
  3. Vickie

Amazing, Rush can say some very derogatory remarks about President Obama or whomever he wants, but when a comedian makes a "joke" about him and Rush is offended.

May 12, 2009 at 3:14 am |
  4. Timothy A. Perez

Personally, I think it was great. Compared to what Rush has said in the past about people like Michael J. Fox, I believe the statement about Oxycodone was somewhat deserving, if not factual.

However from an equal and professional standpoint I thought, yes it was just a tad over the top and could be left out.

May 12, 2009 at 3:06 am |
  5. David

that shows me that he truly is a first of his kind president because he is a great motivator, a great decision maker, and he's funny. that is a president that can keep the entire nation interested in what he is going to do next wether they care what is going on with the ecenomy or they just think he is cool.

May 12, 2009 at 2:48 am |
  6. jacquie

smart and funny!

May 12, 2009 at 2:26 am |
  7. Laura

Ditto Wanda!

May 12, 2009 at 2:18 am |
  8. Cindy

I never thought I would see the President of the USA laugh when someone like Wanda Sikes wished Limbaugh's kidneys would fail. Shame on Obama and Sikes. No matter what your views of people are, to wish someone would die is as low as you can get. I am glad to say that Limbaugh rose above it and never commented back. Will see if this gets through moderation.

May 12, 2009 at 1:18 am |
  9. joe

seems to me every one is putting down Vice President Cheney for the O'Bama situations he is doing and yet O'Bama was doing the same right back him. Where is the Professionalism here as there acting like 2 kids.

May 12, 2009 at 12:29 am |
  10. Jan Van Lierop

I just heard Anderson talk about Cheney. He said that it was unprecedented for an ex vice -prsident to criticise a sitting president. Well, I do remember very clearly how Al Gore screamed at the top of his lungs that George Bush "had betrayed his country". I am more than a little surprised that such a thing does not count as criticism.

May 12, 2009 at 12:22 am |
  11. Saki

Wanda Sykes is a hate-mongerer; she needs to go away.

Obama should not have joked about the flight over Manhattan. That was insensitive to New Yorkers.

Obama's comments about Rahm Emanuels use of the term 'mother-******" was in very poor taste. Does Obama have no manners?

May 11, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  12. George

The President was Great !

May 11, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  13. jamie dunlap

wanda sikes comment on rush limbaugh was funny whether it was right or wrong. that is what she does best. ever watch don rickles? same thing. rush limbaugh set himself up for whatever comes his way by saying that he hoped obama would fail. he was serious about what he said which is sad because as americans we should want success for anyone who could try to help us get out of the mess we are in. rush limbaugh is more interested in himself and his desires than what's good for the country.

May 11, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  14. Elaine

I thought our President was great, as always! Of course, I am not biased – ahem. However,so much has been made of Wanda and I really am sick of the complaints. As far as she is concerned, I was really glad someone finally really took it upon themselves to insult the hell out of Limbaugh. He is a real pig. And furthermore, I never did forget how he made fun of Michael J. Fox and his affliction. I don't hear anyone saying anything about that! As far as I am concerned, the payback for all of his continuous disgusting insults was well deserved. What goes around comes around and I hope he gets more of it! It's about time!

May 11, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  15. Julie in California

Laughter is so good for the soul. Thanks for showing your "funny side", Barack.

May 11, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  16. Debbie

New Yorkers live with a fear in the back of their minds since 9/11 of a possible repeat of some sort. Obama's flippant joke about his daughters being grounded for taking a joy ride on Air Force One to Manhattan was a clever attempt to shirk criticism for this happening on his watch. His smile is magnetic, but he is being dubbed in some circles as the smiling fascist. I guarantee he wasn't in New York during 9/11 or he couldn't have made that joke. Offices spilled out in fear when the planes came. Act like the President we hired you to be, and not a flippant egoist Mr. President.

May 11, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  17. John

Hilarious! I especially like the jab at the press - "...and you all voted for me.." The President was obviously enjoying himself, and it was good to see.

May 11, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  18. Leo

Wanda Sykes was right on! She did a great job – specially calling out Boss Limbaugh on his unAmerican behaviour – Limbaugh has a right to his hate speech but everything he does (even before Obama) has been to create hate and bring chaos and conflict to our country. He is unpatriotic and he is a Glutonous Drug Addict

May 11, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  19. marian walker

myself and my friends enjoyed the president's jokes last night.we like wanda sykes a lot,no one was offended by her comments.rush limbaugh is a radio talk show host and he says whatever he wants,whenever he wants,so the joke that wanda sykes said last night was right on time except rush being part of 911.he said what he wanted to about general colin power,we didn't hear any fuss about that.david gergen did a did good job saying what he said about general powell.general powell has the right to support whomever he wants.ex vice president chaney didn't make general powell the man that he is,he was already that man. thank you, marian walker

May 11, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  20. Lynne

Who is Donald Trump to make a decision? He does not walk on water. I do remember that he went bankrupt, scrwed around on his wife ( twice). How can he be a judge? What is going to happen we gets to the Pearly Gates? Will they be open or will the dign on the gate say, No Vacancy?

Besides having photos of being topless and appearing without permission Miss California has the right to free speech like the rest of us.
    Or do the pageant people have a different set of laws?

May 11, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  21. Helen Baxter

I thought as always President Obama's delivery and timing was accurate, he has a great sense of humor I think. Were a couple of the jokes taste questionable, maybe, but thats true of most great comics is'nt it? He is I'm sure in great company. Now Wanda on the other hand took it I think to a whole other level , over the top, but she is an out there, comic who has nothing really to lose and much attention to gain, and so she has. Touche Wanda! Mission accomplished.

May 11, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  22. Lizz T

I think Wanda was right on about that fat Rush. I think they should try him for treason. If anyone had made that type of comment about George their door would have been kicked in and taken to Gitmo.

May 11, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  23. E. Talbot - North Royalton, Ohio

What can you say? The Pres was wondeful.

May 11, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  24. Nina Helfert

I really enjoyed President Obama's monologue. And I enjoyed the commedianne as well.
    I don't understand why people are so intent on protecting Rush Limbaugh. He certainly does not worry about what he says on air about anyone he doesn't agree with. I think he has made himself fair game.

May 11, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  25. Lynne

Colin Powell would have been so MUCH better.

May 11, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  26. Lynne

I thought that almost everything that Obama was way out of line. The statement about his daughters took Air Force One flying over Manhattan was cruel. What about all those people in Manhattan who did not know what was going on and evacuated? Are may of them now having flash backs? He is responsble for that.

Talking about some guy who rarely puts the word day after Mother. Obama needs to take his trash talk back to the ghetto he came from.

I did not vote for him. I disagreed with his views. He is much worse than I initially thought. Anyone who bows down to our enemies needs to take a hike- a one way hike to Iraq. What a total waste of human flesh.... I am totally appalled at his behavior. He certainly does not do anything positive for the black people in this nation.

May 11, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  27. karen

oh i renber back in 2003 that they told comics to make people laugh, and not to be scared of 911. wanda said rush was the 20th highjacker, did not make a joke of 911. rush has said he hopes the adminstration fails, isnt that like saying america should fail? that is un american. During the bush adminstration if anyone said anything about the war in iraq we were called unamerican, and not supporting our troups. whats up the right , they can say what ever they want to .degrade the country, but the left cant have a opinion that is not shared by the left?

May 11, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  28. Sal Voce

RE: Rush Limbaugh quote

For starters, I'm NOT a Rush fan. BUT, I have a HUGE problem with the continued practice of the press of taking his whole quote out of context and allowing other so do the same.

Limbaugh said in effect, "IF THE PRESIDENT'S POLICY LEADS TOWARD SOCIALISM, I hope he fails".. Now, the quote is NOT exact. I just don't remember it and I don't care to, BUT, the want for the president to fail was predicated on a single condition.

It was NOT a BLANKET "I want the president to fail"

Press and the other liberals need to stop misquoting this and taking it totally out of context and frankly GET A LIFE!

May 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Anita

Did he talk about how he hurt Polar Bears?
    SHAME ON OBAMA who I campaigned for. The "polar bear" decision which guarantees the polar bears extinction, was deeply disappointing.

Obama is also for "clean coal", so I wonder if he is really the environmental president he claimed to be? Isn't the time overdue for greed to give way to sanity? The planet is dying. This decision was deeply disappointing.

The Center for Biological Diversity has done such a beautiful job bringing this to the forefront. It seemed a no brainer the correct steps would be taken. I guess you just cannot count on anything these days. Just like Obama can no longer count on my vote.

I read that a CEO from "Big Petroleum" and Palin were very pleased with Obama's decision, guess he is making new friends.

Lets see how he does with the PRC this fall... Tibet and its people are also "endangered" so I do not have much hope.

Salazar is no middle of the road kind of guy btw.

Somebody said watching the Polar Bear try to survive would be like looking in a mirror.... lets just all let that sink in for a minute.

My mom (85) who also voted for Obama, just sits in disbelief.
    Sincerely,
    Anita

May 11, 2009 at 9:54 pm |
  30. lisa logan

what a fun evening to watch!

May 11, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  31. ladyomoh: chicago,IL

The President brought it down with the jounalists

by adding humor to political arena/scenerio in modern politics.

May 11, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  32. Lampe

Of course he was funny, he was playing to a bunch of his friends and supports. What you expect them to do, sit there and not laugh?

May 11, 2009 at 7:37 pm |
  33. Annie Kate

Watching Obama and his attempt at humor made me hope that he is better at doing the job of President than cracking jokes.....although I did appreciate the one about Dick Cheney.

May 11, 2009 at 7:35 pm |
  34. J poulard

Well done mr president! Very funny!

May 11, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  35. Jacqueline, NY

I was all laughs, myself. Our president is hilarious. If he should ever decide to give up his day job, he could do stand-up.

May 11, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  36. Christian Aglen

A good sense of humor is a virtue of every great leader – Obama delivers, again.

May 11, 2009 at 5:56 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's so funny man dor our president Obama made joke talking about everything!!!! I laughed at him! What a night for pres. Obama! He is really good joke! It was great to see him on the stage! I was enjoying his humor! It was awesome weekend!

May 11, 2009 at 5:28 pm |
  38. Rebecca

I watched the dinner live on C-SPAN and it was hilarious! I loved how the President poked fun at himself as well as others. Wanda Sykes was amazing! She made me laugh so very hard!!

May 11, 2009 at 5:20 pm |