May 11th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards: How I survived John's affair

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/05/05/edwards.affair/art.edwards.gi.jpg]

Elizabeth Edwards
For Time

John was gone a lot in 2003 and 2004 running for office, and although I saw him all the time in 2005 when I was getting treatment for breast cancer, I knew I would see him less in 2006. I even participated in his being gone.

I thought he should do a spring-break trip for college students in New Orleans to help with the Hurricane Katrina cleanup. His antipoverty work would take him across the country, and I knew that. When he told me that the political action committee was going to have behind-the-scenes videos made of some of these efforts, it didn't seem like that bad an idea, and it certainly didn't occur to me to ask about who was making them.

It didn't occur to me that at a fancy hotel in New York, where he sat with a potential donor to his antipoverty work, he would be targeted by a woman who would confirm that the man at the table was John Edwards and then would wait for him outside the hotel hours later when he returned from a dinner, wait with the come-on line "You are so hot" and an idea that she should travel with him and make videos. And if you had asked me to wager that house we were building on whether my husband of then 28 years would have responded to a come-on line like that, I would have said no.

Read More...

1. Janie, knoxville, tn

I notice there are no comments from men here, Anderson. Nothing like a taboo subject to shut people up, huh? Mrs. Edwards obviously has some simple truths she needs to tell America about loss while she still can.

May 12, 2009 at 2:02 am |
  2. Bonny

Elizabeth Edwards deserves nothing but respect for surviving all that
    she has endured -and to still be able to smile and put herself out there in public is nothing short of amazing. I cannot believe anyone would criticize her for telling her story – she has earned whatever path she chooses to take at this moment in her life -and if the book is what she wants to do then I hope her efforts are blessed – I think she is an inspiration as a survivor -of so many things- and it will help the rest of us to make it through our struggles too

May 12, 2009 at 2:01 am |
  3. Kalene

– I also respect Elizabeth Edwards for her courage and dignity. She has done what many women have wanted to do before her. Let's break the silence. A man, no matter what his status is, can no longer expect his significant other to stay silent because of his own stupidity and selfishness. It is about time a woman stands up for her self, knowing full well a man can not dominate over her. I applaud Mrs. Edwards for her bravery. How sick this man must be. To cheat on his wife after so many years and who is battling cancer! I do not see her actions as revenge, but justice.

May 12, 2009 at 1:52 am |
  4. virginia

Ok I feel sorry for her but don't talk bad about the other woman and child that is John Edward's child. Yes, it hurts but after she is gone, he and that is going to be together.....

May 12, 2009 at 1:42 am |
  5. Harper

I think it's ridiculous that Elizabeth Edwards is being criticized. Her children have already heard the whole sick story from the press–Mrs. Edwards gets a chance in her book to put it in perspective for her kids and yet the very women who blasted Mrs. Clinton for caving are blasting Elizabeth Edwards for being honest about her feelings. Give her a break! Read Phyllis Chesler's book "Woman's Inhumanity to Woman" and you'll see what's happening here.

May 12, 2009 at 1:40 am |
  6. Stella

Why are we talking about this woman's life? Oh, the book tour. Bored! The story on AC360 just adds to the ridiculous chatter and is beneath the show.

May 12, 2009 at 1:37 am |
  7. Angel

Why are we so critical of Elizabeth Edwards? She has the right to write any book describing her experience. She lost her son, cheated by her husband, and has been fighting a terminal cancer. I think all those critize her should experience all her ordeals first hand then speak.

May 12, 2009 at 1:34 am |
  8. Jen Gallo Carlsbad,CA

Look we have alll had our problems but I feel this is just tacky.Say what you will about Hillary but she kept her cool when coming to Bill. I respect her for that. Everyone knows what a cheating man/woman is like and I don't want/need to know every little detail.I am really NOT interested. She survived breast cancer and that's worth mentioning.Her child passed and I feel for her.A hero is someone who creates something great/good out of something not soo wonderful and I see none of that here.I've seen her speak and there is an integrity issue there–I don't trust her as much as I wouldn't trust him...hmmm perhaps everyone is getting exactly what there giving in this situation.
    That being said, lets more on to some real survivors.Perhaps the people living in Dafur...

May 12, 2009 at 12:47 am |
  9. Andy

Mrs. Edwards has my sympathy as a wife and mother and my empathy as one of five children who endured a similar betrayal after 35 years of marriage to our mother. It is with utmost respect that I say I have absolutely no interest in reading her story. While as a human being I feel for her, it really isn't my business or anyone else's.

May 12, 2009 at 12:45 am |
  10. frances tankovich

In reference to Edwards : There are many women out there without a job whose aim is to snag the most powerful man they can whether it be a teacher,a politition ,or a millionaire. Men need to open their eyes and not be seduced by women without a purpose other than to get a man. Some men are just as suceptible to seduction as some women. These women are always destructive . Its in the best seller of all times...Samson was destroyed by Delilah. Dahhh !!!!

May 12, 2009 at 12:28 am |
  11. June Davis

I admire Elizabeth Edwards. I see her as a strong and mature woman. She evidently has a lot of pain, but she does not intend to stay in that place. She chooses to face her life crisises and deal with them as best she knows how. My way and your way may not be the same as her's. We all are at different places. Also, our needs may be similiar, but they are not the same. Elizabeth Edwards must do what works for her. That is how she copes and that is how she moves forward. It is part of her healing process. I wish her well.

May 12, 2009 at 12:28 am |
  12. rose

There are degrees of love. The higher the degree ,the stronger the commitment is, then the more painful the betrayal will be. When 2 become 1 as in a marriage arrangement and a third individual wants to destroy that special oneness, the pain can't even be verbalized. It's as if someone takes a double edged sword and slowly begins to split you in half. The pain is emotional,mental, physical and spiritual You feel you are running but not moving. A zillion questions compete for answers in your mind, and the one who has the answers will tell you only lies. Your faith deepens, but you ask God why? If you've never loved the way Liz has, you cannot question her motives. That gal Lisa on tonight's showhas no idea what she's talking about. Her critizism was cruelly contradicting, "I applaud her, but....." She abused the word "but"tonight only to finally say, " well what's the right reaction when your husband cheats. Women who criticize Liz, are very likely to be the women who are telling your husbands that they're hot. Liz has proven that the wife can be even hotter. Her forgiveness, her courage in stepping into the spotlight and her keeping her family together, keeps the other woman where she belongs ... in hell.
    Thanks for sharing your story Elizabeth EDWARDS.

May 12, 2009 at 12:27 am |
  13. marie

Since she has written a book and opened this up anyone who supported Edwards including me have every right to be angry. Elizabeth had this information and stood by him and spoke up for him and continued. I think Hillary (Clinton) and Elizabeth and probably many political wives are possibly just as ambitious if not more so than their husbands and will be blind to their "indiscretions" but is that good for the country. I think there must have been rumors. He did not run for re-election in Carolina and could not carry his own state the last time. Wonder why?

May 12, 2009 at 12:22 am |
  14. Linda

Heartless and selfish. I wonder why he cheated?
    He should not have cheated however, she is proving not to be above it by punishing him through the media. It makes me wonder if she will leave him after her 2 minutes of fame is over.

May 12, 2009 at 12:21 am |
  15. Linda

Heartless and selfish. I wonder why cheated.

May 12, 2009 at 12:15 am |
  16. Sherri

I can not beleive that we are in the year 2009...really? Why is she out promoting her book & bringing all this up again after most of us had moved on? What is her pay off to all of this? I don't think she needs the $$ for her "not soon to have new life" She could divorce him & have plenty of money...so why Mrs Edwards are you out looking for this kind of attention right now? I smell a rat! Shame on all of them for not doing the "right" thing and finding out who this baby girls belongs to. Even her childern deserve to know if they have a little sister. Move on Mrs Edwards & enjoy your life...leave your "husband" on his on to see how he does.

May 12, 2009 at 12:12 am |
  17. Teresa Fazio

My mother died at age 47 after a 3 year battle with breast cancer. I was 21, and her caregiver. My mother told me my father had cheated on her after she was diagnosed and ill. I didn't have the courage to ask her more, although my mom did want to talk about it.

I wish I had listened. I wish she had written a book. I've never mentioned this to my dad. My mom told my aunt she "was planning on leaving" the marriage after my younger sister went off to college.
    The illness got her first.

Relationships are inherently complex. My mother also told me she "could never have gotten through this" without my father.

God bless you Elizabeth. Thank you for your bravery. Thank you for leaving your thoughts and feelings for your children, who I can guarantee will one day ask, "why?" I have a feeling "Resilience" may provide them comfort and maturity and give much insight into their parents.

Please stop demonizing John. Making judgments about Elizabeth. None of us knows how we would react in their situation.

For me her story cuts close to the bone, and to my heart. I will buy her book and hope to not only learn more about Elizabeth, but perhaps understand my own mother's physical and emotional battles a bit better.

May 12, 2009 at 12:11 am |
  18. does it matter

Those women, who are speaking against Mrs. Edwards, should put themself in Mrs. Edwards' shoes. Why try to steal someone else's man (married or any man who is in the relationship)? There are plenty of single men out there? His wife is dying, that homewrecker has no soul. He cheated on his dying wife, if he ended up being with that homewrecker because of the child, he would eventually cheat on that homewrecker. Once you are a cheater, you are always a cheater.

May 12, 2009 at 12:06 am |
  19. Letty

Anderson–salacious or courageous ?! Come on–she is simply a dying woman tired of living a lie!!! She is coming to terms with her life–give her and her family some respect–leave
    her alone. Let the people who read her book judge her–if they must, not you on global tv.

May 12, 2009 at 12:04 am |
  20. Lady in TX

Once Elizabeth decided to stay with John, she should have gotten into intense marriage counseling/therapy. On one level I understand her writing the book as a personal way of coping through what John Edwards put her through. Do her children understand why she wrote the book? Writing a deeply personal journal or thoughts daily in a diary as a coping technique is one thing....publishing the family's dirty laundry for the public to read is another. I feel sorry for Elizabeth Edwards for all she's gone through. As far as John Edwards, he's cheated before. Jennifer in Michigan is correct....John Edwards doesn't know how to honor his wife, marriage, and children by saying "NO" to "women who throw themselves at him". Dude, if you were going to have sex with another woman, do the honorable thing by leaving your wife first!!!! Another thing: Elizabeth & John know if he is the father of the child. I'll bet paternity tests were already done. A cheater will cheat in other areas of his/her life, not just marriage. No thanks to John Edwards furthering his political career.....don't we have enough liars and cheaters in politics already?

May 12, 2009 at 12:02 am |
  21. Mary

It appears that the usual vicious attack cats; namely the female journalists are at it again. By demonizing Elizabeth and speaking out so vociferously against her comments regarding her husband’s affair, I have begun to wonder what is actually behind the reason for their criticism. Could it be that these women found themselves in the position of the other woman on numerous occasions and their guilt or their own misadventures and home wrecking is causing them to attack the wife. Isn’t that always what the other woman attempts to do?

Most of those who are speaking out the loudest are single, career oriented types who do not appear to be family oriented and would probably not think twice about entering a relationship with a married man. I also get the impression that these so-called critics, who try to convey the impression that they speak for all women, are trying to turn Edward’s mistress into the victim of this tawdry soap opera.

May 12, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  22. Brenda

It's truly unfortunate that men and woman are subject to various levels of temptation and unfortunate biting the forbidden fruit occurs, however I truly sympathize with Mrs Edward experience to the serpent bite and can recover in the strength she obviously embraces.

I believe given the situation with Mrs. Edward's husband and the natural response of a mother's heart that envisions the overall success of the future of your children though it may be though the book's financial success by tell your story.

You cared about us in New Orleans! We care about you and your husband! God Bless the Edward family!

May 12, 2009 at 12:01 am |
  23. F. Vargas

No where in these interviews is there an honest introspection of what role the wife plays in this kind of relationship.
    Her affect is disturbing, not flat, as you would expect from grief or medication, but carefully controlled anger. There is so much denial on display that no marriage counselor would ever tolerate in productive threapy-even if Oprah does.
    What message does this offer her daughers? Is it really ok for a woman to stay in a marriage when there is this level of deception? Where is her self respect? There's nothing courageous about staying with a multi millionare and humiliating him.
    Take the money, go your own way and live out your life with some honesty towards your own feelings and some dignity.
    If you wanted to stay and forgive him then don't put your business on the street.

May 11, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  24. Dellie

I respect Elizabeth Edwards. In this world we life in when a man cheat he is treat as a hurt , and his wife is look as the one that has done something wrong. I wood know my husbad and I have been together for 15 years and married for ten . When he revealed his dirty secret to me . I was the one treat as the out cast. He was in the military . Doing his time in the navy , I've seen many women just broken down .Just treated like garbage like she was the one that was wrong . Not to say it is sometime the other way around . So she is not just speaking out for women but for anyone that has been cheated on by sameone that they love. So if this is helpping her get through this . Girl walk with your head up high . You can't please everyone . This is for her applaud you .

May 11, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  25. Lori Mains

Power to Elizabeth Edwards! I admire her honesty!

May 11, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  26. Rebecca--Tampa FL

As a 56 yr old with Stage 4 Breast Cancer, I can relate to the battle Mrs. Edwards faces. However, tonight I agreed with Lisa Bloom that Mrs. Edwards is quick to blame Ms Hunter for the infidelity and she was not the married party-and I do not believe she was a "fatal attraction type" that contacted the wife to inflict emotional pain. Let's face it Mr Edwards is a good looking man and he knows it ! I imagine the power and looks are hard for other women to resist and he probably was lonely and in need of attention from someone who is fit and "alive" (not that it was the right choice)--Breast Cancer is not a sexy disease and the battle to live takes priority in one's life over the needs of a narcissistic spouse. Mrs. Edwards is an intelligent woman who has endured much and seems to want to stay in the marriage-but she needs to put this behind her OR leave him. How can you live with the man and go on the road and rake the "other woman" and her innocent child over the coals and act like he was a bystander when you get home ? It is not a healthy way to spend the end of your life.
    What disturbs me more than the lie John perpetrated on his wife is the "infidelity" they BOTH perpetrated on their trusting political supporters and the American people by continuing to run for the Presidential nomination Knowing that if he won and this affair was discovered, as it was, it would likely be a catastrophic loss in the general election and more importantly for America. He should have dropped out and she should have told him she would leave him if he refused-her complicity in that "affair " makes her as guilty as Ms Hunter.

May 11, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  27. karen hardtke

I think it is tragic that most of the comments about Elizabeth Edwards from other women are not affirming her grief and encouraging to her. A marriage is a trust between husband and wife. Mr. Edwards broke his trust to her and of course she would be very overwhelmed. She has lost a son to death; her husbands lack of trustworthiness; and her own expected mortal end. Give this woman compassion over her broken heart. Regards Karen Hardtke – Florida

May 11, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  28. Ed Murphy

Poor Elizabeth, husband cheated on her-quit the politically correct junk. Quit treating her like a victim–it happened and she's making a fortune with her pity party. Women do it all the time too. Who cares. People are people. Not my business. It doesn't effect his qualifications. The media ought to be focused on important stuff.

May 11, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  29. usha

I think she has every right to share gory details of her personal life with the larger community. What I do not understand is why to say that she forgave him. I do not think she forgave him at all.

May 11, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  30. Joyce of VA

Elizabeth Edwards is being honest with the American public and the Public as usual, is trying to burn her at the stack. Your guest (blonde one) was vicious. She acted like she gets paid by how mean-spirited she could be. She acted like she didn't get the fact that Mrs. Edwards is terminal. She is leaving her kids an honest and candid letter of her life. Your blonde guest appears to have lived, not experiencing a lot of actual life lessons. Get a life lady and let others do the same. Whatever amount of life they have remaining.

May 11, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  31. Judy

Elizabeth Edwards' comments about her husband's affair are so stupid, she would have to presume that the readers are brainless to buy into her delusions of her husband being the victim of a seductress. PS : what is her motivation? BOOK SALES. Keep your harebrained ideas to yourself, Elizabeth. The talking heads on TV are using your cancer as a defense for your actions,which is completely irrelevant. Boo hoo Poor John, rolling around in bed and making babies with another woman. its all the other woman' fault.

May 11, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  32. caramel

It's a shame that we have become so cynical and unfeeling. The man had an affair and fathered a child, while his wife is battling cancer. Why are we beating her up? She is dying. Do we lose any skin off our back because she wants to speak out before she dies? If you don't like what she says or why you think she did it, turn off the tv, change the station, don't buy the book. What is wrong with us that we can't let a person die with the type of dignity they believe they deserve. Why can't we simply say, "God bless you and we hope your remaining days are filled as you would like them." I say that to Mrs. Edwards.

May 11, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  33. Maggie

I have been married for 30 years like Mrs. Edwards. I would be equally distressed and upset if I found out that my marriage had been a lie all of these years. Women who criticize her are either unmarried, divorced or in denial. This is not old school. These are the real feelings of a faithful wife who has been facing impending death and not only has to deal with her illness but the embarrassment and pain of infidelity. I pray that America will rid itself of sin that is destroying our very fiber of society: homosexuality, same sex marriages, infidelity, fornication, etc. America is weakening itself and I am afraid she will fall like all other societies of the past that toyed with these same sins.

May 11, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  34. MJ

Are you serious? I usually love this show, but can't even believe the skewering you allowed of Elizabeth Edwards at the hands of those 2 ranting women. EE is dying. She is, among other things, a writer, and has used those skills to share HER story about HER experiences from HER perspective. Who are they to judge her and her motives? I am disgusted.

May 11, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  35. Kim

I think shes just being a woman,but i also think she will com around about the baby.Ofcourse shes trying to hurt him maybe subconsciously only but it is definitely a motive behind all the interviews come on she was on Oprah. Did you see his face he was not a happy camper

May 11, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  36. Sherri

Maybe she's trying to make some money for his next run for President

May 11, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  37. lai

I feel Mrs. Edward's pain. I think it's wrong to suggest that she's out for revenge. She's speaking from the heart- it's raw and unrefined- exactly how she feels. Maybe that's why some people find it offensive. i pray that God gives her the strength to live one day at a time.

May 11, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  38. Betty Freeman

Please, please, don't continue to humiliate yourself. Love only those who have proved their love toward you. When this happens, and I identify where you are in experience, don't go to the public for support. You are diminishing yourself. Use the rest of your life in loving your children and ignoring impulses to punish.

Your imperfect, selfish, self-centered husband will suffer on his own, and by the world at large.

Only use your energies in making yourself comfortable.

Betty Boles Freeman, born in Texas
    Lived in Ohio, Connecticut, Texas

May 11, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  39. Peter Kalven

I find this entire discussion a sad commentary; she is entitled; who are we to judge? it is her life and pending death.

May 11, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  40. Roger Long

It's a shame that people have to disect what Elizabeth Edwards motives are in writing her book. Some people seem to get a joy out of seeing other people miserable. John made a mistake and Elizabeth forgave. End of story. Butt out!

May 11, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  41. joy

Elizabeth 'let go' there are many women who have survived and faced breast cancer, you are not alone....however as a therapist I feel you are slamming him as a victim....it's not about compassion–you're selling a book. Many women find their source of peace by forgiving...please do not do this to other's who are not famous.

May 11, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  42. Renate

am a cancer survivor and I would like to tell that blond woman you just had on, that this is NOT ONLY ABOUT CHEATING, it is about having the lifethreatening illness CANCER A N D your husband CHEATING ON YOU. I watched the Oprah interview and thought that I would not do it, i.e. write the book, but Elisabeth is fighting for her life and part of this is standing up to her husband any way she can, any way she may call it. She cannot leave him now. They have small children. She does not know how long she has. Canceris a lonley scary road, even if you have all the love and support of family and friends. He is scum. A bottom crawler. He is garbage. THere is no excuse in the world for his action. I dont care what Elisabeth calls the writing of this book. SHe is getting even, and rightly so. I would like to say to that blond woman on your show, may you never have cancer and be in her situation. WHere is your heart? where is your charity? This story will never be over for Elisabeth E. You, ( blond woman) are the kind of woman, we women do not need. Shame on you for your lack of compassion.
    Renate

May 11, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  43. Nancy

Hopefully Elizabeth's book will help provide clues and ideas to women about how to be a survivor – to be resilient – in spite of what life dishes out. Life throws punches and each woman has to figure out how to keep going in her own way. Reading how Elizabeth made her decisions could be another valuable tool to use along the way. I don't know what her motivation in going on talk shows might be, but it has to be incredibly tough! But she is doing it her way!

May 11, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  44. fran tankovich

A young woman had one big goal. To sleep with the most powerful at her fingertips , Edwards.. Same thing happened to Clinton. The best selling book of all times tells the story of Samson and Delilah. The world is full of Delilahs. Women see them right away. Men are seduced by them everyday. The Delilahs of the world do not want to make their own power. They want to attach themselves to powerful men and damn their wives.

May 11, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  45. Zaira

I don't know what's with all these men politicians that cannot keep it in their pants. And on top of that, she is dying. I think that's the lowest of the lowest. I thought this was a beautiful marriage although I did not approve that he/they chose for Edwards to run for office even though Elizabeth was very ill. That was chosing power over love and family. I really disapprove of this woman analyst that was on your program (the blonde one) scrutinizing Elizabeth and condeming her for her actions, where's her empathy? I'm sorry, but that's not right. People that criticize Elizabeth and concentrate on disecting her attitude about her husband's affair mentioned on her book are people who don't know what is like to suffer and battle a deadly illness, how it changes you. They feed the negative side of people. They're like paparazzi. You know what? I applaud Elizabeth, she is not standing by her man like a mouse and taking it. And she is not dismantling the home that hers and his love built and letting someone just come in and take it away. She prefers to be with him for whatever reason? Who are we to judge? I think that at last she is saying what should have been said publicly a long time ago: that women should respect other women, other women's husbands and families. Sure men are responsible, but I see/hear of too many women that don't think twice about going after what's not theirs and the pain they'll cause. It's sad. It's like people who think they are entitled to something just because they have it worse. I stick with Elizabeth for whatever reason she chose to go public and I'm not judging her. We should all reflect on this situation and learn something from it.

May 11, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  46. Johan

Beware the wrath of a woman scorned. Vengence is what it is all about. What we will never know unless John write a book is how much did she emasculate this man. The fact she has gone to all this trouble to write this book make me believe she insisted on wearing the pants at home.

May 11, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  47. Katherine Bennett

I am glad that Mrs. Edwards is writing this book because it allows her to tell her side of the "story" or share how this event, among others, affected her life. The news media make their comments, "John Q and Lady Public" make their comments and everyone else spectulates about what happened and what they would do or say. At least this way we get the truth as she knows it and the way she feels about it.

I think is time for women to stop protecting unfaithful husbands for the sake of "peace" or the "children". What about the "Peace of mind for the injured party and what about the children and the truth that we teach them to tell?. Does not the truth come out anyway.

Its the Edwards' life and I think that she has a right to share her emotions and fears and be free from hypocrisy in her marriage as any other person.

The reason I support her telling what happened: 1. She is not trying to trash him and 2. At least this way we know the truth as she believes it. 3. She is entitled to this freedom.

I hope it gives her the relief she needs. Katherine

May 11, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  48. Patricia Waddell

Mrs. Edwards is a fine woman. I have the utmost respect for her. She is doing what she has to do to survive this very public (private) issue with her cheating husband. Like Jennifer from Michigan said all he had to say was "NO". He put everything he had on the chopping block for an affair that ruined not only his life, his political life and no doubt his family life.
    I hope only hope that writing this book has given Elizabeth some strength and some peace.

May 11, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  49. Christine

Although I have sincere compassion for Mrs. Edwards illness and the possible loss of her life (as far a her children are concerned) I do believe that she is as much at fault for all of this. Personal issues between them are just that. She knows the truth whether she wants to acknowledge it or not. She refuses to accept that her husband, although already caught in lies, could still be lying to her. No "one" person causes an affair. The fact that he did not consider her at the moment of his infidelity should reflect on HIS character and no-one else! He made the vows. He broke the vows. No one can make someone do something that they don't WANT to do. Blaming the other person is a terrible reflection on HER character! She chose this man to marry. Whatever makes HER feel better? Not fair to anyone....I think she is showing the same disregard (in a different way) for their marriage.... So sad! I guess they are more alike than she would care to admit! At least that is my impression.......

May 11, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  50. Brenda

As someone who has faced the challenge of facing cancer as well as the betrayal of a husband I have nothing but love and prayers to offer Elizabeth , John, and the family. One of the most difficult things that a Christian is required to do is to forgive those who have offended us as well as to pray for our enemies. Elizabeth should do what she needs to do while keeping in mind, "vengeance is mine" said the Lord. Peace and blessings to you Elizabeth.

May 11, 2009 at 11:12 pm |