May 11th, 2009

Elizabeth Edwards Fed Herself to the Vultures

Program Note: Tune in tonight to hear more from Tina Brown on Elizabeth Edwards on AC360° at 10 p.m. ET.

Tina Brown
The Daily Beast, Editor-in-Chief

Elizabeth Edwards tried to undo the damage she did to herself on the Oprah interview last week by sitting down this morning on the Today show with Matt Lauer. The first segment did the trick—it was all about cancer and the death of her son, and Elizabeth looked solid and sympathetic in her brave blue cardigan; but when she inexorably let Matt bore into John's marital infidelity, she inexplicably blew it again. In fact she made it worse. This time, she told Matt, she had written the book as much for the sake of her children as herself. Huh?

Some first TV impressions are indelibly strong and Edwards’ media blitz now is unlikely, in any case, to wipe out the ghastly car crash of her Oprah exchange.

The hazard of confessional books is how fast the world moves on while they're written. Hearing about that doggy old "misdemeanor"—as she insists on calling her husband's infidelity with a campaign videographer while he was running for president and she was fighting terminal cancer—just drags us back into the messy aftermath of the election season at a time when we are now busy trying to get on with a collapsing economy and save our own lives.

If she had stuck with her health and her loss, Edwards might have held on to our sympathy. But her insistence on belittling to Oprah the dreaded "other woman," Rielle Hunter, who had "spotted him in the hotel," was so embarrassingly self-righteous it almost made me feel sorry for the Democratic twinkie John, who was always under the illusion that he was the next JFK. "I can't deliver the line ['You are so hot'], because I don't know how to deliver such a line as that," Edwards told us, as if this mildly juicy come-on by a campaign groupie had itself been an unspeakable vice.

Read More...

1. catharine

What sadness we all undergo at precise times in our lives. Imagine yourself, in love with your husband, suffering the loss of your son, deciding to bring 2 babies into the world at a much older age, encouraging and participating in your husband's race for the Democratic nomination for President, then finding yourself with breast cancer, but, the worst is yet to come. Twenty plus years into this marriage, and with all the above, you find your husband has been unfaithful !!! What PAIN can be worse for a southern-bred, older woman, married to a politician?? This woman is terminally ill and she is forced (by herself or others) to live out the remainder of her life with such pain, not only physical but mental. How could any man who has loved a woman, see her in the last stages of cancer, and betray her in this way. John Edwards is too struck on himself to really care. Elizabeth Edwards would be better off if she walked out and left him in this 28,000 sq. ft. house and took the children with her. By the time John finishes looking at himself in all the mirrors, 3 years at least will have passed and NO ONE will be around to believe or care what the truth is re his relationship to the child Ms. Hunter now has. But, please, bear no hard feelings toward Elizabeth Edwards until you have "walked a mile in her moccasins" as the Indians say. Your final stage of life should be happy, not void.

May 12, 2009 at 3:00 am |
  2. chrystal

Go Girl!!! Elizabeth should speak her mind … it is her “prerogative”. Apparently, every one does not realized the word prerogative was created just for women… It is our privilege, right, and choice to tell all or keep it quiet. Go Girl!!!1 This will let all men know what to look forward to if they cheat on us. Don’t worry about the kids. They will rebound through this crisis, as they have accepted the fate of their mother. I am glad she finally has a voice… This voice is for me. I experienced the same victimization and now I finally feel others will speak up like I did.

May 12, 2009 at 2:53 am |
  3. Juanita Flores

Mrs. Edwards,
    Gave this allot of thought before coming out in public. That took great courage especially when you know there will be difference of opinions. Yes she is hurt and feels betrayed who woudn't. It's best to keep your life private like the Clintons did. People will twist your words around if your not careful about choosing them carefully.

May 12, 2009 at 2:51 am |
  4. jacquie

Why is she writing a book? Is she planning to run in 2012? I hope not!

May 12, 2009 at 2:44 am |
  5. Gomsu

You can call Elizabeth vengeful or hateful, but the fact remains that what is said in anger will always later lead to shame. The woman is still furious. Hillary Clinton handled her husbands infidelity the best way she saw fit. I think people need to remember that adultery should never be condoned and that forgiveness should always be an option, something Elizabeth Edwards appears does not want to do. Forgiveness helps people move forward.

May 12, 2009 at 2:05 am |
  6. Barbara E Bj

One extra thought is that sometimes people are able to express themselves better in writing than verbally. Possibly, we should all wait to actually read what she wrote to decide what we think of her choice to write the story.

Her choice to talk about her opinions, though, may have been a mistake unless she is so sure of herself that she doesn't mind the attacks that are always inevitable after these sorts of revelations.

May 12, 2009 at 1:58 am |
  7. Anne Kudner

Wow. My take on Elizabeth Edwards and her new book seems to be very different from that of others- especially Tina Brown. I guess that provides a good reason to submit a comment though. I'm almost exactly Elizabeth's age. I have suffered a number of losses- none- thankfully- as great as the ones that Elizabeth has suffered. I haven't read Resilience but I found her to be profoundly articulate and introspective in her first book. I very much felt that she spoke directly to me about issues that many women of our age- and other ages- share in common. So- her first book had a positive reception and she decided that- since she's had some very difficult life experiences since she wrote the first one- that she would write another one about what she has learned since- and share it with other women- and maybe even her children- someday. Why is that so shocking? I'm sure that there are other reasons she wrote the book- some of which she doesn't understand yet- but how could there not be? I'm sure that there are things that she hasn't yet "worked out"- who would expect that to be any different? Who among us has "worked out" everything that has happened to us? So it seems like some people aren't happy that she has shared what she has worked out- in the time that she has left. I find it difficult to even imagine what it's like to be publicly humiliated like quite a few famous women have been. Maybe part of the way she has dealt with this painful infidelity and the possible consequence of a baby is to keep clear mental images of the other woman's baby out of her head- and therefore- not focus on the baby's gender- and therefore think of the baby as "it". So she's protecting herself- I know that I would have to protect myself in some way from the awful reality of what is known and the possibility that the man I love(d) fathered another woman's child. Everyone is free to say what they want- at least in this country- including Elizabeth. If you aren't interested in what she has to say- change the channel and don't read the book.

May 12, 2009 at 1:55 am |
  8. Mwy

Why is there so much news coverage about this. I sympathize with Elizabeth Edwards as I have walked in her shoes with cancer and an unfaithful husband. The only difference is my problems were not displayed on national TV. If writing a book helps her heal, then so be
    it. I have no sympathy for Rielle Hunter – only disgust. She is like a lot of women i know and have known. Hunter thought she would move right in to the wealth and postion that Elizabeth Edwards has. Hunter probably got pregnant on purpose thinking that would help her cause. Hunter is a low-life slut. if Elizabeth Edwards wants revenge – then good for her. People need to be held accountable for their behavior. When you have been married to someone for 20 plus years and love that person with all your being, then to have your heart stomped on, you too will understand. Now if you also have had cancer and have had death staring you in the face, then you will definitely understand. All the other opininons do not matter.

May 12, 2009 at 1:50 am |
  9. yvonne haldane

If Elizabeth Edwards wanted to write this book for kids, she should have written a Diary and had it under LOCK AND KEY until such time when it would available for them to read. Book was not a good idea.

May 12, 2009 at 1:38 am |
  10. Barbara E Bj

The public (even friends and family in some cases) is generally more tolerant of HONEST self-criticism and less tolerant of criticism of others when it comes to those very personal relationships. It is very hard for someone to come out as a victim. That tends to make all of us uncomfortable. It is easier for someone else to paint us as victims than for us to do it for ourselves....maybe because "victim-hood" is depressing.

Therefore, anyone who wants to "tell all" about a very personal experience often does better when talking mostly about her own actions as opposed to her opinions about the people she believes harmed her.

Maybe, what we all want to see is how to survive as opposed to how to suffer, particularly when it comes to things with which many viewers may have personal experience.

But, however one tells the story, so to speak, the writer needs to be ready for ALL of the reactions, bad and good...the writer/teller can't be too worried about how others react or s/he might be crushed by the often LOUDER negativity and the all-too-quiet sympathy.

May 12, 2009 at 1:33 am |
  11. Kate

I wish I could thank Elizabeth Edwards for her interview on Oprah. Her statement that spoke to the sisterhood, so to speak, is a concept that I feel strongly about. You don't metaphorically knock on a another woman's door and say, "I like your life. I think I'll take it."

Only women who have been betrayed by other women in this way can understand Elizabeth Edwards right now. Only when you've seen your family's life destroyed because another woman said, "yes" can you understand how even the mention of that woman's name is distasteful. When you have years of history with your husband, had children with your husband, had a life you were building together, your psychological bonds with him are deep.

My husband left for a friend of mine, a friend of our family in fact, and the mother of my daughter's best friend. Whatever I did to cause such a catastrophe, I accept responsibility for. But what women who betray the sisterhood like this don't realize is that they are the woman who said "yes" to it all and that another woman with greater self-esteem might not have.

And if they hadn't said "yes" what then? Would the husband try for another woman's affection? Perhaps. Or perhaps that moment in time in his life would have passed and instead of leaving shards of broken family he would have left a legacy of nobility. The woman who says "yes" brings nothing to the man with whom she is involved but shame and guilt no matter how he tries to hide it.

May 12, 2009 at 1:09 am |
  12. Jen Gallo Carlsbad,CA

This is silly!! All I am hearing is: blah,blah,blah,blah,blaaahdie,
    dah,dah,blah,blah,blah,blaaaaah! Elizabeth Edwards should go home now and focus on the mental health of her children after she permanently etched ridiculous details in there heads forever! What kind of mom does this to her children? It seems some counseling and a talk around the kitchen table would have suffice.Good grief,someone give this woman Jerry Springer's number already!

May 12, 2009 at 1:06 am |
  13. Ann

I followed the Edwards Presidency campaign to listen to Elizaberh–she has a voice of integrity which is TRUTH. The media has taken the liberty to exploit her pain–she deserves to say her mind. And...let's benefit from her life lesson to change what we can and accept what we cannot change. What is wrong with saying and living accordingly? Nadda!

May 12, 2009 at 12:19 am |
  14. Mary

It appears that the usual vicious attack cats; namely the female journalists are at it again. By demonizing Elizabeth and speaking out so vociferously against her comments regarding her husband's affair, I have begun to wonder what is actually behind the reason for their criticism. Could it be that these women found themselves in the position of the other woman on numerous occasions and their guilt
    for their own misadventures and home wrecking is causing them to attack the wife. Isn't that always what the other woman always does?

Most of those who are speaking out the loudest are single, career oriented types who do not appear to be family oriented and would probably not think twice about entering a relationship with a married man. I also get the impression that these so-called critics, who try to
    convey the impression that they speak for all women, are trying to turn Edward's mistress into the victim of this tawdry soap opera.

May 11, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  15. Ann

As a fellow cancer patient facing the end of my own life, I am appalled at the lack of empathy for Elizabeth Edwards displayed by Maureen Dowd, Tina Brown and other other commentators. Elizabeth Edwards has had to endure more than any of these people can imagine. Let her cope any way she can, and give her a human embrace. (The fact that so many are obsessed with whether it is adequately feminist to discuss her husband's infidelity merely underscores the fact that this culture cannot and will not talk about mortality - what it looks like and how we as a society deal with it (not well!)

May 11, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  16. Lori Mains

I very much understand why Elizabeth did this "for her children" and it surprises me how many people don't understand that and, further, attack her for it.
    She is a strong person and she wants to let her children know that. It is not as simple as "you cheated, you are out". She emphasizes the many good years of her marriage. Life is not simple, paths are not straight.
    Please be more open minded to hearing her perspective and less judgemental.

May 11, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  17. wjhawk

i think that EE's righteous anger regarding her husband's infidelity is, and should be expected to, clouding her common sense. her anger is palpable. in her most horrific dreams, she didn't think he would do this to her – she didn't think he was capable of it. in her eyes he was above reproach and yet he has turned out to be just a man. i believe there are men who don't cheat on their wives, but they are not a dime a dozen. i believe it is a character issue. you are either a cheater or you aren't. it doesn't matter what is going on at home; there may be reasons, but no excuse for cheating. the interview with oprah was a disaster and i had to keep reminding myself, my gosh on top of it all she's terminal! then i would feel so sorry for her again. look, any woman who throws herself at a married man is a slut and any married man who goes along is a slut – they deserve each other really. but EE said so many things – referring to the child as "it", saying whatever the paternity of the baby it has nothing to do with her (her husband may have and probably did father the child and it has nothing to do with her? what??), and saying she has no idea if he is the father? is she not living with this man? she has no idea? there is a way to find out, oprah points out, and that's when she goes into her "it has nothing to do with me" deal. makes no sense. i am afraid she has brought so much negativity to her life, she won't recover. the other woman, virtually called a tramp by EE is going to come out and tell the world what john really said and it will prove so much more humiliating if it's at all possible. big mistake to poke the bear – same mistake john made actually...

May 11, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  18. Elaine

You know, I would suggest anyone critidizing this lady for writing this book needs to be in her place for one day. If this is what helps her to get through life, leave her alone. Don't criticize unless you've walked in her moccasins, please. If you have never been in this situation, you can't really comment on it.

May 11, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  19. Art

I think it is great that she is broadcasting her story, let her shout it from the mountain tops if she wants. Her husband is an SOB of the highest order and deservers all the dish she can give out. Why spare him ? He certainly wasn't thinking of Elizabeth when he was seeking comfort while she was undergoing serious cancer treatment. We are now a nation that lacks civility or respect for anyone so I say go for it Elizabeth.Ther were plenty of people who were covering up for him, including people in the press, so you go girl !

May 11, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  20. Mary

I think Elizabeth was referring to a picture of the baby in question when she said "it" doesn't look like my children. (I've seen a picture and it doesn't look like my children)

She wrote at length about both the death of her son and about her cancer in the past. Writing about this chapter of her life isn't out of character. I find her books very moving. She must get some comfort from sharing her story. She doesn't need the money.

May 11, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  21. kay

all this nonesense about Elizabeth Edwards hurting her children by statements in her book

EE is saving her children yrs of tiresome explanation later when everyone asks them how their mother REALLY felt......she's saying it for them

she's done an amazing job of balancing, surviving and loving all at once

May 11, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  22. Cristina

What happened to freedom of speech? Elizabeth is blessed to have a medium such as this to get her voice to be heard. We all experience tragedy such as infidelity differently and she is strong for speaking her voice. Those who judge may not have experienced such tragedies. Please let this woman fulfil her personal wishes with dignity. God bless her and her family.

May 11, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  23. Beverly

OK...the lack of sympathy for Elizabeth Edwards after all she has been through in this article by Ms. Brown makes me so mad I am going to unfollow Anderson on Twitter. OK, here I go to click him off. Meh, see ya!

May 11, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  24. Michelle

Let's put this into perspective...

This courageous woman who has traveled through the agony of losing a child, is presently in the fight of her life with her battle against cancer, and has been dealt the searing blow of infidelity by her husband of twenty some years – is being crucified for "appearing" to be seeking revenge through her words and her "puplic display of anger"?!

Elizabeth has shown quite the opposite of revenge and anger. She has given her husband the gift of unconditional love and forgiveness and she has chosen to move forward with grace. She acknowledges the "other" woman and her child, but has chosen not to engage them for the sake of self -preservation. I have a renewed sense of the concept of forgiveness and the definition of what a life should and should not be defined by after hearing Elizabeth Edwards speak. ALL people make mistakes and deserve forgiveness. And ALL people derserve to have the compassion of others when they need it most.

I praise Elizabeth for her courage to talk about her life, her pain and the love and dedication she feels for her children and husband. She is an inspiration to those of us that will travel the same broken road and need desparately to find glmmers of hope along the way.

May 11, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  25. Cristina

What happened to freedom of speech? Just because the media was no longer focused on John Edwards, Elizabeth still felt she had experiences to voice before leaving this earth. We all cope with tragedy such as infedelity differently and she's blessed to have this medium to speak her voice which deserves to be heard. God bless her and her family.

May 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  26. kay

women cheat on their boyfriends and husbands, or think about it, to equal degree as vica versa
    women like gloria alred who are out there implying or outright saying that cheating is specific to men are living in a small world and shouldn't be 'voices' for anything

May 11, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  27. Ruby

Elizabeth has every right to defend herself, theres plenty of women
    like the one that tried to break up her home. Some Guy are to stupid
    to relize it.

May 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  28. alice richards

Elizabeth Edwards most likely feels alone. She is dying and probably praying that she can die in peace with her husband and children by her side. This book and her time on talk shows are most likely keeping her mind off of her cancer. We should have empathy for her and not criticize her.

May 11, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Edith Boler

Elizabeth shold leave it along for kids i feel sorry for her

May 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  30. carlos

Elizabeth Edwards book is a poison pen that will outlive her husband's remorse and serve as j' acusse to be read by her children and grandchildren. There is no room for forgiveness nor penitence for John to recover any stature to do good works alá Profumo in the Keeler affair. Over time her book will her bitter legacy.

May 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Kaye Rackley

Elizabeth Edwards is writting about her feelings from all the adversities she has encountered. It is about her, not about John, the other woman or child.

Why can't she write about her feelings without all these critics jumping in to condem her.

The story is how a husband's unfaithfulness can change a woman's life forever. Her life is changed without having any control just as in the lose of her son and the spread of her cancer.

May 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  32. chloe

Tina Brown you really should be ashamed of yourself. This woman has been cheated on and publicly humiliated, not to mention she is suffering from terminal illness. She was in love with her husband and the only things she asked for was fidelity. I dont think it is wrong for her not to 100 percent support him and in no light will he ever look right. He is guilty, guilty, guilty!! And shold be ashamed of himself. This is the man some of the American people wanted as President???? Really?? He is not an honest man and i applaud her speaking out about it. And as far as acknowleding the baby, why should she?? Let's be real hear people. Would you acknowledge your husbands child out of infidelity?? I think not, you would feel scorned , angry and bitter just like she does. For god's sakes she is dying and having to deal with that is enough, then she has to hear about this love child. Give the lady a break please.

May 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Carol King

The bottom line is who cares? And if they do, why?

We are such a society of voyeurs feasting on other people's tragedy and pain. A symptom of just how sick this culture has become.

May 11, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  34. ashter

Ever since the story of infidelity broke, the media has been clamoring & speculating on how Elizabeth was dealing with it. Were they separated? Had John moved out of the house? Well, now she is sharing her feelings & talking about how she is dealing with it. Ok–let's all clobber her for that! Are you kidding me? Say nothing-they bash you. Say your truth-they bash you. The women on some sites are almost verbally abusive towards her since she has not kicked John out. They're furious that she says that the child has nothing to do with her life. She's right. John made the mess;let him clean it up. I really cannot understand the attacks on her. Maybe this isn't the way some would handle it; but this is her story, her life & her truth. Stop attacking her.

May 11, 2009 at 9:32 pm |
  35. Teresa, OH

What an absolutely insulting article.... it could have only been made worse if a man had written it.

I learned more about the writer of this article than I did about Elizabeth.

I think Elizabeth was concerned about her mortality and thought it smart to leave the written word as her legacy for her children. I do think this particular story was written too soon.

While I was embarrassed for Elizabeth's stuttering and floudering concerning the "baby" questions on Oprah, I thought it was delightful. Why is it any of her business if her hubby made a "boo boo" on the side? She isnt in any way going to raise it. Let JOHN take care of that little "sidekick". Too many men have babies on the side and want the dear old wifey to recognize IT and develop feelings for IT. And yes, I said IT. There is no shame in how Elizabeth is dealing with this.

May 11, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  36. Letty

Leave the lady alone. Women should keep themselves out of other women's beds ! Men should divorce their wives if they need a little something something! Surely you learned in pre-school- you don't take things that don't belong to you. As for her speaking out- everyone heals in a different way- if you don't like her journey – don't watch her!

May 11, 2009 at 8:37 pm |
  37. Joanna

What's really sad about all of this is her cheating husband put her in this horrible position, and we aren't talking about his infildelity. He is the one that should be in the hotseat, not her. I really don't understand why she is further embarrassing herself after what her joke of a husband did to her. She should have left him and set an example for other women – and other cheating men.

May 11, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  38. Felicia Shaw

Honestly, I think the last quandry that the author puts forward is an easy thing to understand. It is true that Elizabeth presents herself much more in tune with her medical condition than with her husband's infidelity and here is why. In order for her to deal with the fact that her condition is terminal, she needs to spin a story of her husband's dalliance that she can handle. If she cannot handle the infidelity, she will not be able to deal with everything else that is crashing in on her. It is absolutely sad and she comes across rather pitiful and angry at the wrong person. But honestly, what else could anyone expect from a dying woman who has two small children at home? Her cheating husband is going to be left behind to enjoy the rest of the growing up years and the grandchildren. She is going to die. It is a cruel fate. I simply do not understand how Matt L. could have questioned her as he did today. Knowing she had crashed and burned last week....I would have recommended that the interview not go there. Where are the publists and why are they not doing a better job of helping a dying woman put her last thoughts forward? I find it hard to blame her – anyone with a heart would.

May 11, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  39. Julia

As a woman, I think that we can understand the pain that Elizabeth felt and continues to feel over her husband's AFFAIR...not indiscretion, but AFFAIR. While we all sympathize with her losing her precious boy and then having to battle a life threatening disease....I have a problem with her airing her dirty laundry with millions of strangers. We all know that her husband had an affair. If she loves him and needs him as she says, then she should want to handle this in a very private manner.

How much humiliation has this caused her oldest daughter? Did Elizabeth sit her children down before the book and tell them her plans to write this tell all and how they felt about that? I have no problem reading about how she dealt with her child's death or battled cancer. I have truly admired her for the way she has dealt with it all with this quiet grace and dignity. This book would have been a beautiful tribute to her son and shown her true "resilience" in all situations. However, the small part dedicated to airing her husband's affair and taking pot shots at the "other nameless pathetic woman," made it seem a scorned woman's attempt to humilate as she had been humiliated!

My prayers are with Elizabeth as she strives to come to peace with all that has happened in her life.

May 11, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  40. Alyzabeth

I just don't understand why someone would claim to "forgive" their husband and then write a book and go on TV to rehash his embarrassment all over again. If you're going to forgive your husband, then do it , mean it and move on. It's not just embarrassing to him, but to her kids as well. If you truly want your family to heal is this the way to do it? She sounds like someone who wants to shame the people involved and hell, if that's what she wanted to do, whatever, but don't do it under the guise of forgiving her husband and caring about her kids. I feel bad for the kids.

May 11, 2009 at 7:54 pm |
  41. Jeanette

Who cares??? Their are more important things to worry about.

May 11, 2009 at 7:53 pm |
  42. Chris

If the "baby" is John Edwards it is going to be. Part of her life by virtue of the baby is a half sibling of her children.

May 11, 2009 at 7:50 pm |
  43. Brenda

Move on! This is so old news. Sad that people are still focusing on this story. Enough, already.

May 11, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  44. Janice Nelson

If I were Elizabeth Edwards, I would be doing the exact same thing she is doing.

Think about this for a moment. Here you are, a national figure. You have two small kids. If Elizabeth stayed quiet about all of this and died, say, 10 years from now, her kids would be under a constant cloud of mystery. People would constantly ask them about the "affair", about the presumed step-sister. About their dad. And all of this would have been the headline after Elizabeth died. They would have to endure this and the pain of loss.

So, Elizabeth is answering to what could be a lingering mystery, now. She is heading off any speculation now so that later her children will not have to live under the cloud of this nonsense. She is doing this for them. Can you all not see this? She is freeing them from ever wondering, ever having to answer for their deceased mom, able to live their own lives and move on. This is a gift most parents do not give their children. I am a hospice nurse and I will tell you that this is a gift. A real gift to free your children.

I saw Elizabeth Edwards in NH when her husband was running for the democratic nomination. It was on the campus of Plymouth State University. It was a cold day and she was sick with some type of virus. She was very bright and personable, but it seemed like she was just going through the motions. And she was feeling lousy. So here she is, a mom with 3 kids, sick with metastatic bone cancer, standing there with a cold in the cold, talking to a small group, all for that scumbag husband of hers. When I read later that she was doing this for him knowing he confessed to an affair, I was appalled.

So you go girl, keep up the fight Elizabeth. You were handed so many rotten cards–so much loss and pain and all in the public eye. But you keep living, keep fighting. Keep showing your kids a remarkable person that they can look up to even after you are gone.

I hope you live 30 more years, Elizabeth. I hope you find peace and happiness. I hope you can watch your kids grow up and hold your first grandchild.

May 11, 2009 at 7:41 pm |
  45. Annie Kate

In a situation like this the last thing any woman would consider is what the impact to the political party would be – who cares what the impact to the Democratic party might have been – John never had a chance to win that anyway.

Elizabeth may on a certain level be out for revenge; if she is, then she is serving it up well and ensuring that John Edwards will never be able to run for political office again. In this society of tell-all books and the people's voracious appetite for the details, her book and her interviews, while not sympathetic to anyone, is perfectly understandable. Despite how she comes off in public about this I still think she has way more than most women have to contend with – a cheating husband while she is battling cancer. If this is what she needs to come to terms with John's cheating, let her have it without the hype about what it would have done to the party. Some things transcend politics and this is one of them.

May 11, 2009 at 7:32 pm |
  46. Gab

Elizabeth who exactly? LOL

May 11, 2009 at 7:00 pm |
  47. GF, Los Angeles

I think it's sad that she continues to blame Rielle for the infidelity. Yes she was wrong to pursue a married man but John had higher standards to abide by as the married man not to cheat on his wife. He should've walked away from her after the "You're hot" comment but he didn't. Elizabeth is mad at the wrong person.

May 11, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  48. c,ca

Dragging this into the spotlight again is a bad idea. Elizabeth Edwards is making herself look like she's out for revenge.

Also, as so many politicians have learned – one misplaced word can speak volumes. She referred to Rielle's child as "it". She told Oprah, "IT doesn't look like my children", while trying to say that Edwards is not the father of the baby.

Very bad form. The baby cannot be blamed for this. Elizabeth could have referred to the child as "the baby" or "she". If she does not think that the child is Edward's, why would she display such anger towards an infant?

We all know Elizabeth can sling mud with the best of them. She had no problem attacking Hillary Clinton and Obama during the primaries. But she needs to work out her anger about this in private. This public display will not benefit anyone.

May 11, 2009 at 5:57 pm |
  49. john

Why are we talking about what Elizabeth Edwards did.
    We should be talking about what George Streptocaucus did.

May 11, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  50. iekjack

I think these people should be left alone to figure out how to continue living their lives. This is not in essence condoning John's infedility

May 11, 2009 at 5:25 pm |