May 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/08/09

Tonight, we'll have the latest on the Wesleyan University student shot and killed by an alleged stalker. Tonight the suspected gunman is being held on $15 million dollars bail. We're learning more about his life and the alleged threats he put on paper.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on the case and tonight's other headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kathy, Chicago

Happy Mothers Day to Erica and all other Moms! Have a great week-end!

May 8, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  2. Anthonia-california

Ah, i think the prime minister has a shot, Susan Boyle did 😉

May 8, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Lizzi Dodson

I have heard of cities and organizations trading guns for popular brand name shoes. The catch is the confenscated guns can not be evidence. It is a no questions ask policy. This has been effective especially in low income areas. Chicago should try this along with other tactics of course.

May 8, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Isabel

@ David, Indiana

I agree in part with you. Love must be preserved forever. I just do not agree with the apologies offered by love of priest Alberto. This seemed a little appellative to me, I do not know …

Is your birthday 10th of May?
    Congratulations! Best wishes to you!

May 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  5. jacqueline, NY

First President? LOL!

May 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  6. ben

There is no legitimate reason to have an assault weapon they should be banned, like check cashing places.

May 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Heather - Spokane, WA

Im so glad Drew Peterson was arrested for his wife's murder. I have been waiting for a while to see his mugshot!

May 8, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Isabel

The great challenge of FIAT is to make the American people like of the small, compact and economical cars. Everything that Americans are not accustomed to produce and consume.

May 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Troy

If we can't control guns, can't we make people wait for ammunition? Mark it somehow so we KNOW who purschased them?

May 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  10. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

Have a Midsummer Night's dream you guys! Happy Birthday to the Gergenator and have a lovely mother's day to Erica and Have a superb weekend Anderson!

May 8, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Lori from IL

The violence in certain Chicago neighborhoods is terrible - unfortunately it's been going on for years (generations) and has become a part of the culture of those areas - Not sure how the cultrue can be changed, but glad that there is more awareness of the problem and people at least trying to do something about it.

May 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Miss J.

I don't think so. I think there are as many gangs in L.A. as in Chicago... But I have seen L.A. go through a killing period between gangs... Just not right now.

May 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Anthonia-california

I dont think the violence in chicago is ever gonna stop anytime soon. theres too many teens in gangs with beef with other gangs..

May 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. angel manners

I live in a suburb of Cincinnati and stories of these types of shootings are frequently on our news feed

May 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  15. Bridget, TX

The guns and killing in Chicago and other cities are worse than the swine flu, this is an epidemic that the city officials need to be held accountable to fix.

May 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Nancy

I am calling it an early night..Good night everyone..Happy Mothers Day to all! and @David..have a very Happy Birthday! Good night Erica and Anderson!

May 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Heather - Spokane, WA

If people are wanting to know how kids are getting guns they need to look back at the school shootings like Columbine and other shootings involving kids

May 8, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Miss J

Does Chicago have a higher gang presence than any other city? (even LA?)

May 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Dodie from Irvine, CA

How can we convince or motivate people to give up their guns?

May 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  20. David, Indiana

Did I hear that right 900 shootings treated at the hospital in Chicago in a year? This year so far.
    Again, that young man, Tyresse is rethinking his life as he talks to Dr. Gupta. He's seeing his own life for the first time. I hope he can get out of the violence and find a life for himself, start making one. Just a brief interview but quite amazing. I hope the very best for this young man. For all the young people, everyone in Chicago, and other cities too.

May 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Mary

Well It has been a long week. Hope you all have a great weekend. Love your mothers!!!!!

May 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Nattada, Houston TX

I think these kids do not go to school as they should. Would the situation get better if government can put them in school instead of hanging by the side of the street and be manipulated by gang members.

May 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Miss J

Thanks for reporting on this Chicago story all week Anderson & Co.. Very very sad. I hope that something will be done this time.

May 8, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Esma

Goodnight, everyone! Have a great weekend and for all the moms, have a wonderful Mother's Day (of course, it'd be nice to have more than one day)!!!

May 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Michelle

Somehow I do not think this is just a problem in Chicago.
    Recently, I saw Real Sports on HBO and they had a focus
    of student athletes being killed in Norfolk, Va. HBO said
    the city had some 2 thousand gang members and the
    population was no where near Chicago.

May 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

I am happy to hear people opt to talk about the issue and get support at the right time.

Brightest blessings

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

May 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I like to say Happy Mother's Day to your mom..... I hope you will give a gift for her.

May 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  28. mari, MA

hope kids, priest, and everybody have happy mother's day!

May 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  29. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Umm, the guns are probably coming from Texas by the look of things around here~Hmmm

May 8, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  30. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I'm not sure I see the point of assault rifles in any city...

May 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Mike

David Gergen's commentary is always reasonable, honest, and interesting!

May 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Nancy

Getting guns off the street is a good thought..but just how is that going to be done? Gun control and strick laws aren't going to get illegal fire arms off of the street. It's like illegal drugs..we can seem to get them off of the streets either.

May 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  33. Heather - Spokane, WA

Happy birthday Mr Gergen and happy Mother's day to mothers of all types, whether you are mom to a child, four legged 'kids', moms to be, or grandmothers.

May 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Turn in the guns, and make our world a better place for us all.

May 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  35. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Good Question Anderson. Where are they getting the guns?

May 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  36. Dodie from Irvine, CA

How do teens get guns? Why do they have so many guns??

May 8, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  37. ericacnn

@Michelle Thompson – I can only imagine what it's been like for you at the airport, with your toddler on the watch list!

May 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Caroline, Los Angeles

I really appreciate how the First Family is trying so hard to include normal life in their high profile lives. People have to stay grounded. They can't close themselves up in a Bunker of the Wealthy and Powerful like the last residents of the national Hotel did.

May 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Elle from Los Angeles

Thank you so very much David Gergen, I always look forward to hearing your opinions, Happy B'day!!

May 8, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  40. Mary

Happy B-day David I always enjoy your comments!

May 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  41. starr formerly known as vincent

As a retired OR Nurse, i can tell you from experience how much damage and gun shot would can do – it is astounding and aweful.

Many times, the victims did not live long enough to get the OR.

May 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Martina Ilstad

Happy Mother Day to you Erica, and all woman woldwild.Ask Anderson,try to spend time with his mother,its the best gift for a mother,

May 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  43. Kathy, Chicago

I feel horrible, AC. I live in the country, and I don't even know where these neighborhoods are. I still think that parents need to know where their children are.

May 8, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  44. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Why is there so much killing in the USA???

May 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  45. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

as being a teen myself, all you people need to know is that we are very manipulative. That is how teens can get high powered guns.

May 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  46. Nattada, Houston TX

It is a busy month for Dr. Sanjay.

How can a teen carry AK 47 and walk along the road withoutt anybody doing anything to it. Where the kid got his hand on it at the first place is a good question, Anderson.

May 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  47. kim-chicago

Get these guns off the street.

May 8, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  48. Heather - Spokane, WA

A two year old and a four year old shot? Time to move the kids out of Chicago

May 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Michelle Thompson

My son's name has been on the terroist watch list since he was two! He's four now. Thanks for that story. New York, New York

May 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Rikki, Fargo, ND

shot 2 times before he can even walk into a bar and order a beer...scary stuff...

May 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |