May 6th, 2009

Evening Buzz: The Deadliest U.S. City for School Children

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/05/06/art.mattingly.chicago.memorial.jpg caption="CNN's David Mattingly at a memorial honoring the victims of the violence in Chicago."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight on AC360°, the growing death toll in Chicago. School children killed. Lives cut short. So far, 36 students have been murdered. The latest is 16-year-old Ramone Morris. He was killed this morning. Police found him on the street, shot in the back of the head.

Chicago is now the deadliest city for school children in the United States. Tonight, we give you an up close look at the problem through the eyes of a 10 year old boy, whose brother was murdered.  Anderson will also talk with Chicago's Police Superintendent. What are cops doing to try to stop the violence?

Just two night ago, when David Mattingly reported on the violence the death toll was 34. Two days later and we have two more deaths. He'll have a 360 follow on the story.

Also tonight, 360's Gary Tuchman has an update on his story last night about the Texas town where the cops and the district attorney were allegedly shaking down African-Americans and Latino drivers, stopping them on the highway and taking thousands of dollars in cash from some of them. Police say they were in compliance with Texas law. The victims don't agree.

Join us for these stories and more starting at 10pm ET.

See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Maurice

I am saddened of the stories we are hearing of these young souls lost to violence. In just watching the broadcast the opinion was noted that if this violence takes place in a upper-class suburban neighborhood that there would be more awareness and nationwide response. Does this same something about the media in our country. As a media student it worries me that there are stipulations towards coverage and newsworthiness. Even though we are now highlighting this story, why did it take up to 36 deaths in this academic year only for some kind of coverage of this issue.

Although the Mayor of Chicago was wrong in avoiding the question of what is he doing by claiming this happens all over the nation in every major city, what I think is necessary as journalists and media personnel to criticize ourselves.

We are all a cause and as one victim's mother said, "We have all failed them."

May 7, 2009 at 5:18 am |
  2. Christopher

If parents had an eye on their kids more, then these shootings wouldn't happen as often.

May 7, 2009 at 5:12 am |
  3. Bill Donnelly

As parents ,family and friends plead for justice, the violent murders of Chicago youth continue. The assumption this is normal comes from Chicago Mayor Daley, similar attitudes persist with law enforcement. How many more coffins will have to be buried before police and elected officials take affirmative action? Easy access to weapons and ammunition is a contributing factor, and when combined with drugs and alcohol, the mind becomes dysfunctional, and creates a hostile environment with deadly results. The parents on both sides are proportionaly to blame and must accept responsibility for their unsupervised siblings. To say I did not know he was in a gang, had a gun, hung out with gang members or did anything unlawful is denial, that is not acceptable, and will hinder efforts to solve this carnage of death. Parents are the eyes and ears that could have a mojor role in
    decreasing serious crimes. Whether it is a neighbors child , a relative
    or your own, you must act on the side of the law, others will follow.

May 7, 2009 at 4:56 am |
  4. Jeannene Frazier

I am a grandmother and a life long Chicago resident. Mayor Daley changed the leadership in the Chicago Police force when he brought in Jody Weise from the FBI. He might be an extremely good administrator for white collar crime but he does not know the streets of Chicago. He did not come up through the ranks. His first official duty was to demote several captains and other leaders who knew the pulse of the city without personally evaluating their performance and testing their mettle. He promoted politically correctly and some of the promotions might have been just but since this move the city has gone backwards. I am not defending any crooked cops or any that cut corners to achieve justice. But I am frightened for my grandchildren to attend school by themselves. My oldest grandchild will graduate from Catholic elementary school this year and was fortunate enough to gain entry to St Ignacious High School on the University of Illinois at Chicago campus. I am torn between taking an early retirement just so I can drive him to and from school. My son (his father) says I have to have faith that he will be able to make it home on public transportation. I'm sure the 36 children that have died this year had parents and grandparents who had faith. But I decided to write to you to set the lie straight that Mr Weise told, these children did not know their murderers. he tried to make it seem like they had it coming or they wer killed by their associates thats just a lie and he told it so his own ass would not look bad. Arnie is right if the complexion of the children were different and their zip codes reflected Wilmette the problem would be solved by now. How's this for the new Olympic Village.

May 7, 2009 at 2:29 am |
  5. Susie

I recently read "Our America" , an eyewitness account of the devastating effects of a violent community, the Ida B. Wells on the South Side of Chicago. LeAlan Jones and Lloyd Newman spoke of how after a while of seeing daily shootings, children become desensitized. The sad reality is that change must start at the micro, mezzo and macro level.I do think that race and social status does have a lot to do with the problem. Even sadder is that this book was written in 1997, and since then, there has been very little change, if any. t is so sad to see this.

May 7, 2009 at 2:12 am |
  6. Jim

I am saddened by the death's of children. I wish they would look at the heart of the problem tho as people with big family's and lack of education are vunerable to this problem. you see high crime in poor areas normally and that is due to too many kids and no work and lack of education to get work and they end up better off on welfare as that is the only way they can survive as ins. is not always an option when parents do get a job. ( Now you have daycare) Taking away guns and so on will not solve the problem at all. They will just use something else. You have to get to the heart of the problem. Laws need to be increased as well for gangs so this is a high risk. Just like we do when someone threatens our country.

May 7, 2009 at 1:50 am |
  7. danny

The Mayor has room to talk , he refuses to hire more police, refuses to give the chicago police a Contract. Refuses to let the police do their job. The Mayor is always crying about money, yet is afraid to open the city's books, whice shows the city has Billions of dollars on hand. The poeple should be asking the Mayor why are you killing our kids.

May 7, 2009 at 1:41 am |
  8. victor

Until society finds a way to touch the soul of these young people, there will always be gangs and violence. Society must find a way to change the mindset of the young in the inner cities. We must offer a better way. Gangs must be replaced with the deep inner thought that if they study hard and focus on their academics and get into community activites that they will eventually have a successful life. A real gangsta is educated, smart, and has a positive sense of purpose. A real gangsta uses an ink pen,not a handgun.

May 7, 2009 at 1:36 am |
  9. Angela

Dear Anderson,
    Even if it is happening in other big cities Mayor Daley is the typical politican.Trying to take the spot lite off of Chicago instead of working on a solution.Goes to show you that the deaths inner city youth aren't a
    priority.

May 7, 2009 at 1:31 am |
  10. Kelly

I think it's awful that all these young kids are losing their lives over nothing! My best friend was shot in the head 10 years ago when we where in highschool and there is not a day that goes by that i don't think about him.

May 7, 2009 at 1:28 am |
  11. amber in LA

Hi Anderson:

Thanks for spreading light on this horrific issue. My heart broke when I watched the report tonight. It seems like each year violence is US schools is growing. Killings and suicides of children and teens should not be happening-ONE child is too many. Following these stories are making me paranoid about putting my future children in public schools. I would like to know the EXACT actions the community and schools are taking to stop this problem.

How can ordinary americans take part in helping solve this issue? Why are children resorting to Guns and Suicide more frequently? What is the root issue?

I would also like to know more about the violence amount children in other cities. Is this a national issue?

Thanks!

May 7, 2009 at 1:24 am |
  12. Esko Peterson

I have a studnent in a Charter School in Chicago. As a member of the parent board, we have experienced similar issues with gang violence.
    The problem is that our community has fallen asleep and have allowed this violence to spread just like the swine flu. Our community leaders have to WAKE -UP and accept that we, they, them are responsibel for cleaning this issue up. I am sick and tired of our officials promoting bus trips to springfield with a bunch of kids to protest gun laws when the gun laws are not responsible for KILLING.
    Everyone with the power to make change in the communnity is responsible. We need to stop blaming the kids and start blaming ourselves.

May 7, 2009 at 1:22 am |
  13. Renee

There is no excuse to why these countless deaths of children are going unnoticed. Its easy to see that if these were not minorities, but white children being killed that something would have been done after the first killings. Why are the children and families of low income America suffering when the politicians and police can do something? Why has there been no action?

May 7, 2009 at 1:17 am |
  14. james boykin

as a long time resident of chicago
    chicago is in denial
    there is no excuse for 36 students killed
    if this was any other city there would be an uproar.
    jody weis said that the american public has gotten numb to this
    we (american public) have gotten numb toward blacks and latinos getting killed

May 7, 2009 at 1:14 am |
  15. mark

Parent or parents start by punishing your child for wearing jeans around knees with exposed underware. Schools ban this disrespectful way of dress and bring back the paddle. Start spanking kids in school then sue the lawyers who want to sue the school, may help lawyer later on from being car jacked, robbed or shot by kid lawyer thought he was protecting.because parent was to drunk to teach morals. Then will one hip hop artist place future of listeners ahead of bling,money and so called status by releasing positive music! Positive message! Then lock Chris Brown up for beating up a woman? Send the right message to kids but I bet he watched daddy beat up mommy. Parents wake up!

May 7, 2009 at 12:37 am |
  16. tiffany cook

I saw the AC360 coverage on this story a few moments ago, and was shocked at the reaction/commentary by the mayor of Chicago. It seemed to me that he was remarkably off target with his frustration; telling the cameras that it was the same in the rest of the large cities in the country, when in fact that is not true. Even if he were correct about that assumption, then it would make the circumstances far worse. I fail to see the major difference in numbers when children are being killed for no apparent reason. He lost my respect for his opinion by his attitude toward the situation in his city.

The remarks made to the effect of "drop-outs" were entirely uncalled for as well. I myself graduated high school, but do not belittle those who did not. Many students who do not finish school do just as well, if not better, than anyone else. What matters is finding a way to learn that fits the individual. Society has no right to look down upon those who dont fit into the idea of the general publics learning system. I know that cannot change, but i would expect a mayor of a city such as Chicago to be better versed in the actual workings of society instead of the facade.

May 7, 2009 at 12:11 am |
  17. Thumper

I do agree with the Police Super that there is a frightening and increasing "apathy" about the growing violence in this country. We are just becoming more and more immune to gangland shoot-em ups. Even when they are affecting and murdering our children! The all too easy access to guns has much to do with this, as well as communities not stepping up and taking responsibility for what is going on outside their door-steps.
    Are people aware that we as a nation do not have enough police officers to deal with all the crime that is happening on our streets?? The well equipped gangs, in many cases, are starting to out-number our law-enforcement numbers. Scary, but true!
    We need to get parents involved, stop the flow of guns and get involved as communities to protect our children. There is no easy way out of this one.

May 6, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  18. Jamie

I saw ac360 tonight and it just upseted me so bad.Cause people just cant put the blame on just the parents when the goverment got kids thinking that if the parents beat them to call the police.So how can a parent(s) raise their children the right way.But a question that need to be asked is HOW IS THESE BABIES GETIN KILLED?And what is the city of Chicago going to do to get theri city back and save their furture.I cant say i know how they feel because i have never lost a brother/sister thank God.So with that being said everybody is in my prayers,may God bless each of you.

May 6, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  19. Chante M Jones

My Heart gose out to every Family that has had their child taken away from them for no reason at all. And Mike you must not have any kids at all and you really have no clue. It is not only happening to just having only one parent in the home and if it was all white kids that this was happening to something would have been done right on the spot. All of you in the box thinking people (Mike) it should be know matter what the color the child something should be done. And the Mayor really is walking around with no brain and needs to be put out of Ofice so someone that is willing to do what he is not willing to do to put a stop to it and help the people of the City.

May 6, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  20. mark

Kids are not born this way. Woman has a child, no planning, dead beat dad falls off grid, kid gets no moral, family values or love, mom gets state aid, maybe does drugs, drinks, kid turns to gangs, violence learned from music, video, movies and TV. Since kids never knew love, respect or morals they become thugs, criminals and bangers. Then blame society when real issue is lack of parenting. Maybe reward two parent families thru incentives so children get love, values as a parent is there to teach kids family values at same time ban violent music, TV, games. Put the wasted pork spending and redirect to education and massive family value support and advertising blitzes. The problem is the lack of parenting not the kids ! As the twig is bent so shal it grow.

May 6, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  21. Tara

I currently teach first grade at an inner city school with population being 99% minority. I have to say that I am deeply saddened but not suprised at the number of murders. The things that my first graders are exposed to at home would suprise people. I have first graders throwing up gang signs, engaging in full out drag down fights, cursing at adults, and throwingchairs/ anything around my room. My students can tell about guns, jail, and drugs. What most people loose sight of that at the age of six these behaviors are learned at home and unfortunately it is the children who are trying to make the most of their lives that end up paying the highest price for societies tolerence of parents allowing their children to watch and engage in these behaviors from an early age. I hear all the time what are the school doing? At what point do we make parents become parents and stop tolerating young children to be exposed to these behaviors. I love my job and do everything in my power to help the students in my class, but I can only do so much when parents encourage thier child to behave as they do.

May 6, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  22. A Pennsylavania

It is not a blaming game. Whether it is the parent, school, or government to blame, the focus should be on what can be done now to prevent this from occuring in the future. It is heartbreaking to read such news articles. I do agree what Louis wrote, it really opened my eyes. Thank you for your comment.

May 6, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  23. LilianaC.

I am totally shocked by the indifference in the Mayor's comments. By trying to "normalized" the crisis in these communities he is clearly ignoring the cry of the children and their families, the plea of his constituents. How sad! that he cares more about the "image" of his city than the mental health and the safety of its people. The city of Chicago have a problem, and it begins with their leaders, after all they are setting the tone. The children since to be indispensable.

May 6, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  24. Louis

To vponder...

I am in the middle of the fight, and believe me, we are fighting back. We just need to get the gov re-focused by decriminalizing and then regulating illegal drugs, such that we can get children out of the drug distribution business. Gangs and their role in illegal drug distribution is the primary driver of the growing "gun and violence" culture facing those communities. Communities where by far, the majority of the folks go to work everyday, church on Sunday, and just want to live peaceful lives.

May 6, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  25. Rory James

I currently live in NC, but was born and raised on Chicago's South Side. Even though I reside in NC I still follow the Chicago news, and yes, this has been an epidemic of violence specifically affecting school-aged youth for the last two years. What has been done? Nothing.

Furthermore, I am saddened by Mayor Daley's comments. "This happens in every large city," he says, but that is no excuse for the violence to continue. Shouldn't Chicago be a model for all large metropolitan areas? How dare he (or anyone else) qualify these senseless killings. You are a MAYOR. Take the lead and mobilize parents, teachers, police officers, and community members. Yes, we tell parents that they need to effectively raise their own children, but we live in a global society and we are all responsible for insuring our youth have all the resources to survive in this world. If any child lives in fear of going to school because of gang violence then "we" have failed. Be it Columbine, Virginia Tech, or the inner-city of Chicago, young people deserve to be safe at school and their surrounding community.

May 6, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  26. leo

there is no family structure in these areas.. most of these
    kids have a father but probably dont know who he is, or
    if they do, they probably see very little of him.....regretably,
    a lot of these kids are raised by a grandmother or a foster
    parent.....until those problems get resolved, i doubt if
    anything else will help.

May 6, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  27. Michael

Has anyone thought about sitting down with Chicago gang leaders to talk – in an attempt to resolve their problems, or possibly having them talk directly to the parents of the victims? Maybe the gang leaders will get a better understanding of how their actions, and those of their members, are affecting the community. I think something similar was done in L.A. If I'm not mistaken, it did have some positive effect.

May 6, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  28. rene

Seems that in "certain neighborhoods" guns and violence are the norm day of life. Seems as if the poorer you grow up the more likely you are to be violent and take matters into your own hands because you had no way to to control it in the past. The easiest way out is "too hate all". I guess this is a way to control the epidimic of violence, is to keep getting rid of it. Of course I feel bad for the children involved, but obviously, and I do mean obviosly the adults dont care about their children or something more by the parents would be being done. Some Hoods are too far gone, and the decent ones need to get out and let the thugs battle per themselves.

May 6, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  29. Diane

GUN CONTROL That's what we need. I pray that our country will have the guts to tackle this issue. And I really don't what to hear anything about the constitution and "Our right to bare arms". When our constitution was written it was a different time. Our country has changed and we no longer NEED to bare arms. We pay our law enforcement to bare arms and protect us with them if needed. Our children are paying the price for our neglect of battling this issue. Too many children, too many citizens are dying needlessly.

May 6, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  30. Hector R. Hernandez

You can't blame the schools for the killings. Schools are not the parents. Parents should know where their children are, what they are doing and who their friends are. They [the parents] should take responsibility for their children.

The parents need to teach their children values and instill in them self respect.

May 6, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  31. Amanda Walton Fort Erie, Ontario

This story just breaks my heart, I can't imagine living in the city terrified everytime my child walked out the door. It's hard enough to do that now and we don't have a high crime rate. I don't think I'd let my child leave the house and sometimes moving isn't feesible. Maybe the National Guard needs to become involved to help keep the crime under control, maybe as far as martial law with curfews imposed. I'd say this is a state of emergency, young people are dying. In October of 1970 Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau imposed the War Measures Act in the province of Quebec when the FLQ a political movement that threatened peace after setting off 95 bombs, injuring many and killing six including the Quebec Labour Minister. Now I know this movement were homegrown terrorists but isn't this violence also considered homegrown terrorists? Something needs to be done to keep streets safe everywhere, we're always pround to live in North America where our children aren't supposed to be subjected to terror cells and killings on the streets like other countries yet these clusters must make many families feel like they live in the middle of a war zone.

My prayers to the families living in these areas.

Stay Safe

May 6, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  32. Bruce

Last I knew hand guns are illegal in Chicago.

May 6, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  33. David

As a high school student in a Chicagoan Suburb who has also had experience living abroad in a developing country, I am personally appalled by the atrocities being committed to fellow students simply going about their lives, trying to obtain a decent education (in a public school system that is definitely not one of the better ones in the nation, despite all of the hype about the magnet system).

What is really quite disturbing is the sad truth that due to the almost normality these murders are treated with, by residents, elected officials and so on, these unfortunate incidents are simply ignored by the vast majority of the American population.

In addition, I recall listening to the AC360 podcast within the last couple of weeks, where the topic of bullying in schools is being discussed, where it is mentioned that simply due to time restraints, no major news corporation covers every such case unless there is something uniquely different or unfortunate about it.

It is tragic that the lives of students are lost each year to such preposterous causes. What is even more tragic is that sad reality that these kids casualties of a larger issue – violence in metropolises.

May 6, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  34. Louis

to Mike in NYC...

its okay to blame the victims... what's new? If you would like to take a deeper look, just read my other blog above as a beginning. Conditions facing these children do include less educated parents, parents who are working two jobs or who are victims themselves of the conditions they grew up in. Yes, they do own some responsibility. But I am a Harvard MBA who grew up as one of "them", am now one of "their parent" (singular), as I have come back to live among "them". For every society condition, their are underlying causes. From your blog, its clear that you look at "them" as the underlying cause... hmmm

May 6, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  35. John

Did you know that over 50% of public school teachers and principals send their kids to Catholic schools in Chicago. Why don't you ask Mayor Daley why he won't allow school vouchers. No kids have been shot in Catholic schools.

May 6, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  36. Judi

This is happening in Chicago, because the authorities waited way too long to try to tackle the gang situation! It's been bad since the 70's! I live in Chicago, and I know how it is. It was bad for me in high school, and now its even worse. They have not done enough. There needs to be harder penalties for these criminals because they know when they are caught they won't spend that long in jail, it is nothing to them.

May 6, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  37. Mike in NYC

@Shorty, who wrote:

"I am wondering if it were well off white kids dying in these kinds of numbers if more people would take notice."

If I had a penny for every time I heard that…

The point is that “well off” White kids don't murder each other at anything even approaching the pace that “disadvantaged” non-white kids do. And that's even when you count the much-publicized Columbine-type shootings - the overall numbers still aren't even in the same ballpark. Ask yourself why.

As for treating them like "throwaways," it's their parents - actually, in most cases, that's "parent" (singular) - that treat them that way.

May 6, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  38. SullivanAnu

Anderson,
    i am worried about the children who witness these killings or who are directly affected and i wonder about the counselling system for the younger ones who are still at school. How do the younger ones deal with such experiences? Then there was the officer who gave the final comment on your program, noting that communities become numb to such events after a while? I honestly believe that the police are trying but we need to understand that every action is a reaction to some other action and if the community in question is not seeing any breakthroughs, developments, changes... that too contributes to the numbness that was pointed out so much more effort is needed in Chicago, Mr. Officer.

Be Blessed!

SullivanAnu

May 6, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Vponder

I do not understand why people expect the government to do something about the violence? I think it is time for parents to raise their children and discipline the little so Why can't the residents take their commuity back from the drug dealers and trouble makers. Keep the losers in check.

The shootings are sad, but do something to fight back. Stop being bullied!

May 6, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  40. Louis

Thank you for addressing this NATIONAL problem. I am a Harvard MBA and studied in the PH.D. program at MIT. I live in Compton CA, one of the gangland capitals of the nation, as my choice of how to give back to my community roots. We are in a war zone, where children face gunfire daily. I am personally aware of many victims, both wounded and murders, that touch our family and community. As described in the piece, Chicago is no different than other innercities, including the apathy that these conditions are facing. I live in the middle of it, and know the root cause is the growth in power and influence accruing to gangs due to their role as the primary distribution channel for illegal drugs. They drive a violence based culture, where the ability to afford a weapon has become a "symbol of success". It signifies you have money and power.

The role of gangs growing and managing their business in innercity violence is parallel and related to the Mexican border gang warfare between drug cartels that has recently been the subject of much media coverage. Similar to the Prohibition on Alcohol that resulted in the growth of the Mafia, the current strategy for conducting the war on drugs is driving innercity gang growth.... when will we face the facts as a nation?

May 6, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Joe Chicago

I cannot believe Mayor Daley's explanation of these horrific crimes. He said, "This happens in every big city."

Mr. Mayor, tell us what you're doing to stop these murders and protect the CPS students?

He can't tell us because he's not doing anything about it. These murders will continue to occur as long as Richard Daley is our mayor. His #1 priority is securing the 2016 Olympics, not the safety and well being of Chicagoans.

May 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Katja

That story 2 years ago is what made me a regular watcher of AC360.
    That kind of real story is what keeps me watching. You don't find that kind of real reporting anywhere else,

The point was made 2 years ago, that if these kids were white and happened in the "better" neighborhood. Everyone from the Feds on down would be rising hell.

But this is happening in the inner city, and therefore doesn't really count as being as important as say, some "star" screwing up yet again.

I love my country, but it's priorities are totally messed up. That the first dog is more important them children is just sad.

Keep up the real stories, they need to be told.

May 6, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Jack, Montauk, NY

Everyone wants to blame the schools. Spend some time in a school and see just how "blind" some parents are.

May 6, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Margie

I think the content of movies and TV programs are partially responsible for kids being so violent. Turn on the TV and see for yourself what is being show each night. Violence begets violence.

May 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Brenda

As a Canadian living in a fairly large city {a million plus} I do not understand how a country as great as the United States chooses the "right to bare arms" over the right to go to school and be safe. It is truly beyond our comprehension. We just had our 7th murder here...since January,,,and none of them were children. There is something to be said abot gun laws....they work.

May 6, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Shorty

It seems to me there is no outrage about violence among youth. I get the impression that they are treated by society as "throw aways". I am wondering if it were well off white kids dying in these kinds of numbers if more people would take notice. And no, I'm not a member of a minority group.

May 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Nancy

I am a NYC High School Counselor and I listen to these stories and the politicians that claim to be doing something about the crime in our cities. I am so tired of the politicians that are blaming the educational system that currently exists in our urban cities. As educators, we do our best to leave no child behind! But we must also realize that not all children can be saved! That is when the law must step in! And when do we place the responsibility on the parents or guardians?? Please!!! Enough already!

May 6, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Jason

Anderson,
    Thanks for highlighting the crisis that is gripping our schools here in Chicago. Please remind your viewers that the former CEO of Chicago Public Schools is our current Education Secretary, Arne Duncan. He couldn't fix the problem locally, so how can he fix it nationally? This topic never came up during his nomination or confirmation hearings..... unbelievable.

Worried in Chicago.
    Jason C.

May 6, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  49. Jane

How sad. How can children learn when they are afraid of school?

May 6, 2009 at 9:57 pm |
  50. Isabel

Hi, Maureen!
    Good evening!

Gosh! So strong to see a boy of 10 years of age make a statement on the death of his brother. I look forward and I believe will be touching and sad.

Any death is an experience suffered, mainly when involving children and young people who have a life ahead, is immeasurable to greediness.

Thank you!