May 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/05/09

Tonight on AC360°, stunning allegations of highway robbery in a small Texas town. Dozens of drivers claim they've been held up for cash, cars and jewelry. Even more shocking is who some victims are blaming – the police who deny the accusations against them.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on Gary Tuchman's report during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel

Anderson,

you were very elegant on The Tonight Show.

Actually, you always know to dress very well, both in informal moments, as in more formal occasions. I like! People are losing this notion, nowadays.

May 5, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  2. LisaL - Canada

oh dear – Paula IS so cute – but wouldn't it be nice if we could just fast-forward through most of the blah-blah-blah – sigh

May 5, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Lori from IL

About that time -

Good chatting tonight -

Until tomorrow night.....peace

May 5, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Jennifer- Santa Ana, CA

Hi Anderson! I was at the Jay Leno taping.. you were great! Your comments, despite the "controversy," were pretty funny... hey its just you being you, so what can you do really? 😉

May 5, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Michelle

Thanks team 360 for all of the original stories tonight.
    I really enjoy the journalism that airs on 360.

May 5, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  6. David in Japan

I don't want to sound to pessimistic here about the corrupt "cops" in Tehena, Texas, USA, but I am quite sure this is only the tip of the iceberg! Not only in redneck, small town Texas but all over the USA, wow does sound more and more like Mexico! Happy 5 de Mayo!

May 5, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  7. azeez, Hillside, NJ

John E. screwed his family and the American people that support him...

May 5, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  8. Krasi, Houston, TX

I love Paula, but I agree with Anderson's comment that sometime (more often than not) it is hard to understand what she really is saying. Adam rocks and he should win 🙂

May 5, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  9. Esma

I would have left John and his expensive hairdos.

May 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Fay - California

John Edwards was one of the better candidates in terms of his platform regarding poverty and other issues – it's unfortunate his bad judgment and indiscretion derailed his campaign.

May 5, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  11. Rikki, Fargo, ND

This story makes me sick every time I hear it. I so admire Elizabeth for her strength for her and her family and her ability to come out and speak about what John did to her. Its got to be so difficult to live that story. I watched it happen to my mom and it is so hard to respect someone who is unfaithful. I don't know how Elizabeth stays with him.

May 5, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  12. Maureen T, Canada

The politician's wive's song, "Stand By Your Man"!

May 5, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Lauren--NY

Thanks for that little tribute to Dom Deluise. He was extraordinary and brought much joy to my family over the years.

May 5, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Sedonia Williamson

Texas is such an anamoly. Why don't we just let Texas succeed from the union. Then Mexico can try to take it back for themselves . We can then be relieved of the headache.

May 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  15. Stephen Wilkerson (Drew) MD

Anderson,

Come on She knew exactly what kind of guy he was when she married him or her one gift would not have even been on the table. EYES WIDE OPEN!

Drew

May 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  16. jane MI

Thanks CNN for bringing up int'l news again...And look forward for
    Fareed Z's program on Dalai Lama/Tibet situation as on commerc. clip.

May 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  17. Krasi, Houston, TX

It's not bravery to confess infidelity! He did it and he should own up to it, but that does not make him a hero!

May 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (follow @edhenrycnn)

A complicated question...that's kind of scary

May 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Janine from PA.

Condolences to the DeLuise family. He was a funny man I always enjoyed him.
    Cinco de Mayo is almost over, I hope it was a nice day for all.

May 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  20. filbert

Why did the husband of that lady shoot her in the first place?

May 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  21. brian

The cop and the district att need to be fired arrested and locked up to send a message the feds need to investigate immediately

May 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Miss J

If Elizabeth wasn't so sick, I hope that she would've left John.

May 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  23. Sametria - Dallas, Tx

Texas crooked cop story:
    Okay, the "center stage" comment was classic!

May 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  24. Isabel

@ David, Indiana

Unfortunately there is corruption in many places. The police should protect us.

It's awful when the people did not trust in the police to ask for your help. It is horrible to think that the police can be as dangerous as the bandit

May 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I wonder is John Edwards going back to jail or not, I hear he is investion by FBI for fraud, or affair other woman, if he is father of his mistress's baby.

May 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  26. Rob Tee

I hope the policeman that recieved the ten thousand dollars
    get ten years in prison and a black history book.

May 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  27. Isabel

@ Anderson Cooper

Do you would be able to forgive a betrayal?

Every relationship has ups and downs, but the trust is the basis of a cool relationship.

May 5, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Anderson, you looked well on the "Tonight Show" last night. The comment on the subway might not have went well over, but other than that I think you did well.

May 5, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Patrice Palmer

Great clip of Michelle Obama at the UN!

May 5, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  30. Michael

Being from East Texas and now living in Dallas, I'd like to know how much drug trafficking money has been collected in Tenaha, Tx, in the past 3 years along highway 59. Make sure to show the other side of the story.

May 5, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Terry in Canada

What almost angered me even more about John Edwards was how he seemed to continue to lie even when he admitted the affair. The timelines and what he said in his confession about the affair just didn't add up?

May 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  32. Alex Alali

I could not believe that the Police and the District Attorney are not in jail. How could a district attorney be afraid to answer question. Please don't let this story go.

May 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  33. Maureen T, Canada

Rest in peace Dom DeLuise! There's more laughter in heaven today!...Isn't Blazing Saddles a hilarious movie? 🙂

May 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@filbert, how do you negotiate with fanatics who are willing to blow themselves and dozens of innocent people up for their 'cause'? It doesn't matter if we waterboard them or send them a dozen roses each day. They hate us and won't rest until we are dead, or they are.

May 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  35. LisaL - Canada

the problem with excessive reality show watching is that [in general] people feel as though they are entitled to the details of other people's lives. there is a limit. i guess it is just different for different people. personally, i think that people should get as much privacy as they give others.

May 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  36. Esma

I'm so saddened by Dom Deluise's death...he was so hilarious (especially in "The Silence of the Hams").

May 5, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  37. Mike in San Francisco

Can we find out what happened to the horrible person who shot that poor woman in the face?!?!

May 5, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  38. M Dent

I have heard of these highway robberies all over the south. This law is made for abuse. All police cars should be required to have a camera on them and any items confiscated should be document by film.

May 5, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  39. Miss J

A friend of mine recently got pulled over. He was driving without a license but his wife had $6000.00 in her purse. The police took that money and now they won’t return it back. He got tooken to jail and appeared in court and was released. What should they do? Should they file a lawsuit?

I'd run the story by a few FBI departments and see what they say.

May 5, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (follow @edhenrycnn)

Obama and I have the same taste in food...

May 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Justin, Ohio

thats a bad question anderson. yes we can win the war in afganistan. this is coming from a sgt in the army. it is just going to take some work. this is not veitnam. the soldier fighting now is different. the war is different. we need to stop focusing on what we do to people we capture and focus on the issue at hand. we have soldiers dieing in combat. instead the news continues to debate the issue of what we do with our prisoners. i sure dont think that the taliban does the same. their war is different. they dont care if they die. we have morals. and in a war like this morals dont win. it may sound bad, but it is true.

May 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Staci Taylor Midland TX

@Rebekah, just more prove that the justice system does not always work as it should 🙁

May 5, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Hank

The outrageous crimes allegedly being committed by police and the district attorney in Texas must be investigated by the U.S. Justice Department. It's clearly extortion and malfeasance by those office holders, and they need to be in federal prison.

May 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Patrice Palmer

I can't imagine how much pain this woman, who has had so many surgeries, must have gone through in addition to the pain of betrayal and loss of her physical identity. She is a strong person and I wish her the best.

May 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's amazing I see her new face!! she inspried my life, I hope she looks great face since surgery transplant new face.

May 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

@Isabel, no there are corruption problems with police in the US too.

I wondered about that too, Erica, how do you guys work so late, I'm glad Gary brought that up when he interviewed you.

May 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  47. vicki

Finally corruption in Shelby County(Teneha TX) has been exposed. This is the tip of the iceberg. Keep on digging CNN.

May 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  48. Sandra Robertson, GA

Great interview Nic. Thank God for your safety. Rest well tonight.

May 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  49. Joe, DC

If the US government have listened to Afghans for the past three years they would have already known that: the source of problem is in Pakistan.

May 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  50. Rebekah

I can't believe that the husband of the woman who got the face transplant only got 7 years for shooting her in the face... how does that work?

May 5, 2009 at 10:43 pm |