May 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/05/09

Tonight on AC360°, stunning allegations of highway robbery in a small Texas town. Dozens of drivers claim they've been held up for cash, cars and jewelry. Even more shocking is who some victims are blaming – the police who deny the accusations against them.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on Gary Tuchman's report during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Claudia

I would really like to get the email of that atty that is representing those others in that other city. I am sure I could refer it to a alot of people here in the border that Driscoll has stolen from.

May 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  2. kristen

Are we doing enough? It's easier to find a big elephant than a squirming mouse. This is a hard battle. I don't think anyone truly knows how we are doing because we don't know what will happen tomorrow. But in speaking about today and the yesterdays, we in America have been able to keep the Taliban from major attacks on us. I think we have to at least acknowledge that victory.

May 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  3. filbert

why don't the U.S. try to negotiate with the Taliban instead pointless slaugher? Its not getting us anywhere.

May 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Wild, that's amazing!

May 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

If this woman turns out they way that is anticipated, that will be absolutely amazing.

6. Rikki, Fargo, ND

This is an amazing story...medical technology has come so far to be able to transplant a face to a person....fascinating.

7. Michelle

Advancements in modern day surgery is amazing.

8. Judy C

Re: the story on "highway robbery" by police in Tenaha, Texas, none of this is new. I first read of this outrageous police piracy in either Texas or Louisiana some 10 years ago if not longer ago. What amazes me is that it has gone on for so long. I hope that this class action suit will not only help some people get their possessions back, but put also put an end to this practice once and for all.
    Thank you.

9. Samantha M.

whoa!!! Sanjay on Letterman! can't wait to watch.

10. Staci Taylor Midland TX

Dr. Gupta on Letterman!!!!! Can't wait to see it!

11. Patrice Palmer

What worries me most are the nuclear arms that will come under Taliban control if they win control over Pakistan. What can be done to pressure the government of Pakistan to take a proactive role to prevent these arms from ever coming close to Taliban control?

12. Esma

It's so horrible that she's had to go thru this, but the result and steps in all of her operations is amazing to see, what a medical miracle!

13. eric walker, miam fl

Sorry, but I do not have any pity for Mrs Edwards. She new the whole time before her husband ran for the presidency that he had the affair. And let him con and lie to the American People. If he had won the nomination and this scandel broke, where would this country be now?
    I have no pity, NONE

14. Isabel

The progress of medicine is amazing.

This is so cinematographic that scary me!

15. azeez, Hillside, NJ

OMG! Science and God working hand-in-hand… remarkable!!!! Bless her soul

16. Ashif

I don't understand is how they are able to film themselves with guns and explosives out in the open front of people and clearly front of media and live to tell their story, how can Pakistan not do anything about them crossing borders? they seem to get passed the border rather easily, armed themselves and go kill people. Is this 2009 in Pakistan?

17. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas

Wow, that face transplant story in incredible. I hope that woman's ex-husband stays in jail forever.

May 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Terry in Canada

Looking forward to the coverage on Elizabeth Edwards. Wonder if she tells the truth about what and when she learned about her husband's affair?

May 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Krasi, Houston, TX

By the way, where did the donor face come from? I don't believe anyone has mentioned it yet.

May 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Brandi - bottom of the boot

science is so amazing.

May 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Rebekah

I have a friend who moved here from Islamabad, Pakistan a few years back and whenever the news mentions the Taliban in Pakistan she gets really worried about her family back there.
    Do we know if the Pakistani government is even thinking about doing something about the Taliban?

May 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Jan

I live within miles from Tenaha. I have been warned by parents and friends about Hwy 59, which I live off of. What a shame...outright theft right in your face. They should face charges and serve time. What an embarrassment the DA was. They signed up for a job to be fair and just. The next county (Nacogdoches) has already been investigated for the same thing, the drug task force was shut down.
    Please don't give up your investigation. We need help here in Texas to get rid of crime....which happens to be our judicial system!
    I am a new fan!

May 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Isabel

I don’t know if I would all this. I love to live and I love my life, although sometimes I claim of my life, but it is difficult to say. Really, I don’t know.

I hope that recovery of Connie Culp is absolute. It deserves!

May 5, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  24. rsk

this is theft why arent these people in law enforcement not it jail.this is the same thing as a citizen robbing another citizen,they would be in jail.

May 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Zoee - Canada

This face transplant story is remarkable!

May 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Staci Taylor Midland TX

What an amazing surgery!

May 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  27. Isabel

This is amazing! 22-hour face transplant surgery?

The story of Connie Culp shows much strength of will, claw, determination and courage.

May 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  28. Dulcie - Denver

Man, I don't know how the US can take this on in addition to everything else we're doing. I think we have to, but... geez. We need some really bright military leaders.

May 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  29. Krasi, Houston, TX

What is even more amazing than the face transplant is the fact that she survived the attack!

May 5, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  30. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Anderson, no the US is NOT doing enough to stop the Taliban. We need to pressure Pakistan more to move most of their 700,000 man army away from the Indian border to the border with Afghanistan. Maybe if we can get India to pull back too it will stabilize the area.

May 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  31. Mike

Anderson:

The Techana officials are nothing more than criminals acting like police. The state of Texas wants to be its own country. Why is the justice Department?

May 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  32. starr formerly known as vincent

I saw the interview with Pakistan's President today. He stated flatly that we have provided Pakistan 1 Billion dollars a year for the last 10 years!!

NOW he expects more $$ and equipment! He flatly denied that there were any Taliban "sympathisers" in the Pakistanie Army.

I know that we have to do something....BUT, we should think long and hard on WHAT it is we should do!

May 5, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  33. Sharon Wright

Obama has enough on his plate right now but I hope his staff make him aware of what appears to be rampant corruption within law enforcement agencies. Remember what happened in New Orleans?

May 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  34. Fay - California

Really stellar reporting on 360 tonight – it doesn't get much better than Gary Tuchman, Nic Robertson and Peter Bergen.

May 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  35. Michelle, CT

I love the show tonight! I actually sat here and learned a lot, and didn't just see a recap of the day. Thanks.

May 5, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  36. kristen

Wanna understand, why doesn’t Pakistan send more troops to fight the Taliban? The bulk of the Pakistan troops is still focused on neighboring India. Will the threat of Islamabad (true wake up call) force Pakistan to change? Or does Pakistan not think it’s worth the effort and risk?

Great show tonight!

May 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  37. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@David, Indiana. To answer you question 'Why would (they do these things)?' Because they can.

May 5, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  38. Isabel

Can the Taliban be stopped?

I hope so!

May 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  39. Anthony Peterson

Who is arming the Taliban??? Any plans to remove the nukes??? What will post Taliban domination do to their Indian neighbors??? This will be a Vietnam II.

May 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  40. Patrice Palmer

I don't see why people are so surprised at corruption and greed in the small town of Tehana, TX when we're dealing with a mortgage and banking crisis resulting from corruption and greed. This is just happening on a smaller scale. The question really is, why is there such a rampant culture of greed and corruption in the USA, and who's been minding the store, both allowing and encouraging all of this from the top down?

May 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Rebekah

@Anderson – I, personally, like the way you're treating these stories about the citizens in Texas being racially profiled as almost "new" because it brings people's attention to it so they don't just say "oh well, it's been going on for decades... what's so special?"
    please keep treating each case as if it's the first of its kind, it really helps get attention to the stories so they don't go under the radar.

May 5, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Margaret in OH

Wow- I agree with the others that this story is not surprising really for Texas. I lived in South Texas- and my boyfriend was Hispanic. He got pulled over constantly- for nothing!- They would just make something up! He especially got pulled over if he drove at night- I was astounded by it. I am glad that this story is coming out in the open now.

May 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  43. Sedonia Williamson

Attorney Eric Holder needs to send the federal government to that hillybilly town to investigate those theives and lock them up from the mayor, district attorney and cops on down. The money must be returned to those ubnfortunate citizens with interest .

May 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  44. Terry (Houston, TX)

I travel through Tenaha when I travel home to visit my family. I am shocked that this would be going on. It is apparent that the DA and police have abused their power.
    I thought it was loved the fact that the DA was caught singing with her guitar at the fundraiser.
    I think should be the justice department be investigating this Tenaha. I hope that someone was watching CNN and will do so.

May 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  45. Dawn

I live in the county that this happened and it is extremely embarressing but there are many other this that have been going on with the DA but we have not been able to get her out with votes. And it was not only minority groups being targeted during this. The Texas Rangers have been called and nothing happens.

May 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Jen in Mex

Might want to rethink any road trip that takes you through any of the places mention!

May 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  47. starr formerly known as vincent

Tahnk You Nick Robertson.

Another really incredible story! The Taliban is an incredible threat.

Even Rome fell after repeated attacks by Barbarians!! America needs to be really, really careful. We are a large and sometimes lumbering target. I had a friend (from Somalia) who worked for the USA. in Iraq . He was truly puzszled as to why American Army built and stayed in such large bases. He felt that the Americans presented an obvius and large target for the insurgents (and others) to hit.

May 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I don't know how Erica does it either! I would definitely fall asleep on keyboard! I enjoyed having the tables turned on the webcast tonight! Thanks Erica and Gary! 🙂

May 5, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  49. Esma

@ Erica-wow, that's quite a routine, you rock!!!

May 5, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  50. Miss J

It makes me so sad to think that someone shot that woman in the face. I'm happy that she got this transplant but its just sad to think about why it had to happen.

May 5, 2009 at 10:31 pm |