May 5th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/05/09

Tonight on AC360°, stunning allegations of highway robbery in a small Texas town. Dozens of drivers claim they've been held up for cash, cars and jewelry. Even more shocking is who some victims are blaming – the police who deny the accusations against them.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on Gary Tuchman's report during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I can assure you that Tenaha is not the only corrupt town in east Texas. Keep investigating~

May 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  2. Scott Allie

Who could possibly be suprised by police corruption in Texas ?
    or anywhere in the U.S.
    After all the police and the Government in general have become the ENEMY of all Who are freedom lovers.
    Extortion is the norm ,NOT the exception.
    I.E. Try to plee not guilty to a trafic infraction in Texas.

May 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  3. Jonny, KY

GREAT coverage of a terrible case. Thanks, Gary and Toobin!

May 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  4. Brandi - bottom of the boot

its pure intimidation, and the children can go to a relative.

May 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  5. George from Memphis, TN

This is typical good old boy and girl stuff. This goes on everyday in many places. I'll bet you begind to hear more like this soon. Speed traps and crooked elected officials abound all over the rural south. This is not beyond belief for me.

May 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  6. christlyn

and they give reciepts for the money they steal!!! Increadible!!

May 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  7. Rick Hughes

I am so glad that you are running this story. As a black college student I was stopped and humliated in front of the public in the early 1990s. This has been going on a long time. Unless a black is from that local area, they are target for these crooks. I got stopped by a 6.4 White male. He searched my car for no reason at all and yelled at me for no reason.

good story.

regards,
    Rick

May 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  8. Maureen T, Canada

Unbelievable!

May 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  9. Jasmine-Spokane, WA (follow @edhenrycnn)

What is really interesting is that they are buying popcorn machines. this was a plot line in a television show....

May 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  10. Justin

Anderson... I am an officer of 9 years and this is nuts. I have A string feeling this is giving us all in law enforcement a bad name.

May 5, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  11. SG

I can't belive this...how horrible!! I am an African-American woman who lives in Houston, TX and my boyfriend is Latino and he resides in Louisiana. We drive through this town weekly to visit each other!!!! This is very scary because I look to the police to protect me or come to my aid if I get in trouble on the road. Thank you for reporting on this.

May 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  12. Dulcie - Denver

Gary Tuchman did a fabulous job investigating. He's a gentleman but doesn't take no for an answer.

Thanks for bringing this story to us! Shocking.

May 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gary looks fabulous!

I agree with Jeff, I could not believe this story when I read it. I read it a couple of times, but I could not believe this was going on in the U.S.!

May 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  14. LDK Austin

No surprise. This is the state run by Rick Perry, another complete buffoon. But Sen. Whitmire is a good guy who tries hard to make things better in the state and right wrongs when he sees them. Great story and thanks for exposing the fraud going on in this backwoods town. Not all of Texas is like this or likes Rick Perry.

May 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  15. Rikki, Fargo, ND

One of the many, many reasons I don't carry cash...there is no paper trail!

May 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  16. James

sounds like some Hazard county good ol boy stuff. This is terrible.

May 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  17. David Quintero

Corrupt cops and officials down in Teneha, Texas? Makes me wonder about other small town, red neck towns not only in Texas but other parts of the USA. I am watching you live from Japan and I am also a reporter here in Japan so boy oh boy, my Japanese public will love this piece of Americana type scandal! Thanks for keeping them honest down there in the so called bible belt?? For shame!

May 5, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Mindy Ford

This isn't the first time this has happened nor will it be the last. Is anyone out there really suprized with our justice system!

19. Krasi, Houston, TX

Well, popcorn, dum dums... What happened to good old-fashioned do-nuts?

20. Jacqueline, NY

Very sickening just like the NJ State Troopers. When will they get arrested?

21. Michelle in L.A

What is that $10K check for? It is way too many Politicians, Policeman, people put in power by the people,that think they are above the law.

If I was suppose to be at work and they saw me on tv, I would be fired quick.

Thanks for do this story, I hope it is a speedy trial. I want them all in jail – PDQ- Pretty Damn Quick. Shouldn't the Federal Gov;t get involved in this?

22. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

In 2000 Tenaha had 1046 people residing in the town. 46% white and 42% African-American. gary reported $3 million in seized property. Median household income $22,885. Do the math. (I'm guessing the annual budget is considerably less than $3 million.)

This sounds like a plot to a good (fiction) movie.

23. Kathleen

What is going on in Texas is smelling like something rotten...It is so not right.

24. Fay - California

That DA better get ready to play her guitar behind bars.

25. Anselm

I couldn't believe my ears and eyes that this is going on in the US. This highway "robbery" story sounds like what happens every second to motorists in ALL highways in Cameroon.
    God bless and save this world of ours!

26. wesley

Tenaha! Isthis United States a.k.a the leader of
    free world?. Shame on police. The DA and her gang
    should be fired.

27. Sue

The cop is black so it's not racially motiviated as previously reported! How many people drive from Tennessee or other states to Houston, TX with $8500 cash to buy a car??? In fact, how many people in this day and age drive anywhere with $8500 cash for any purpose???

28. Jayme

this is horrible that the police are so corrupt and the DA wouldn't even say no comment to the camera! i hope these people get justice!

29. Ted

Being a minority living in Austin, Texas. I am not in the bit suprised by this event, this happens all over Texas, Law enforcements officials stop you for very unecesssary reasons and for offenses you have never in your life heard about. An example is, driving too close to another vehicle during rush hour traffic. This happened to me in Georgetown, TX. It is quite unbelievable, what laws are instituted in the state of Texas.

30. David, Indiana

@Isabel you're right this does inspire care.

This appears to be a direct violation of the constiution's protection against unreasonable searches and seizures. Sounds also like these people are being deprived of their property without due process.

31. zach

Anderson that is a very common in small towns in the southeast especially in texas and louisana. they rip your car to shreds, threat to separate your family and take your money.

32. Isabel

When this type of problem is identified in the police, the punishment must be exemplary for not to have recurrence.

33. JP

3 million dollars, state of Texas needs to shut down those COPS, Nice Check to the Officer, 10k in the pocket

34. Gillian

Wow. This is just ridiculous. How have they been getting away with this?! Insanity...

35. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

Good to see you back and would be happy to see your picture on the blog.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

36. Sarah

This is ridiculous!! I thought it was to protect and to serve not to rob and to lie. And for the DA to be in on it... she should be disbarred. She is a disgrace to attournies everywhere

May 5, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  37. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

And we wonder why people have problems with authority figures sometimes! Shouldn't they set the example for us to follow?

38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Good thing Gary had the camera crew with him!

39. Miss J

Brandi,

I know what you mean. It doesn't really surprise me. Sadly.

In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't happening in many more areas.

40. Blenda

This is absolutely UNBELEIVABLE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Something has to be done about this

41. Anthonia-California

@CHISTYLN-Its in Tehana,Texas i believe :}

42. andersoncnn

this story is stunning

43. Brandi - bottom of the boot

Gary is so awesome! he always does such a great job!

44. brian

I cannot believe this is happening in the united states in the year 2009. Why is fbi not involved! o my gosh

45. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Go Gary Tuchman! What a public Fraud!

46. R. Amoah

I would like to say I'm shocked by the actions of the Texas law enforcement, but the same thing is happening in the town of El Dorado, Arkansas. When people ask the clerk about what happened to the items, the clerk says they were destroyed in the investigation. The local law enforcement are even bold enough to drive around the automobile they take!

May 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Gary is the man! Great job Gary!

May 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  48. James Davis

I've known him for years and he was a decorated state trooper who confiscated thousands of dollars on Hwy 59 in Carthage,,, 20 miles north of Tenaha

May 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Esma

A dum dum buying a popcorn machine and Dum Dums...you can't write stuff like this!!!

May 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Maureen T, Canada

I guess the District Attorney had her hands in everybody's pocket! What a nerve!

May 5, 2009 at 10:14 pm |