May 1st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/01/09

Tonight on AC360°, we'll have the latest on the swine flu outbreak.  Plus,  the Supreme Court shake-up. Justice David Souter making it official today that's he'll be retiring when this current session ends in June. Tonight, we'll look at the possible contenders to replace him.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on tonight's headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel

My mom is 82 and she thinks President Obama very beautiful ... lol ...

I prefer you, Anderson Cooper!

May 1, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Miss J

Oh I loooooooooove that picture of Anderson. Stop blushing Anderson.

May 1, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Maureen T, Canada

President Obama is a beauty himself! 🙂

May 1, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Anderson, you are always beautiful. Have a good night and weekend, everyone.

May 1, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Samantha M.

Gotta agree on the chef and speech writer.

May 1, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Lori from IL

After your teaser last night - I actually picked up a People mag at the check out lane today - couldn't believe the White House Chef was on the list.

You need to get Jack Gray to start lobbying for the 360 staff for next year's issue! LOL

May 1, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  7. Cessy, Chicago

WHAT? You didnt make it Anderson? We're boycotting! 😀

yes! Rahm Emmanuel!!!

May 1, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  8. starr formerly known as vincent

Anderson, your crew gets the most "beautiful" vote from my family! (laugh) Although, Jack Grey is not too hard on the eyes as well as you and Erica.

Geithner?? no way!

May 1, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Micki in Chantilly, VA

Anderson, Why do we not simply distribute a dose of Tamiflu to every US household? Many people even in these times are not bothering to wash their hands. It’s very upsetting to see the cavalier approach to the flu in the DC area at least.

May 1, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Karen C

Raaahhhm. Those eyes.

May 1, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  11. Kathy, Chicago

Um, beauty must be in the eyes of the beholder. I'll take the 360 team any day.. Have a great week-end!

May 1, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Matt,
    Thanks for information and share with me. twitter me.

May 1, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  13. Mr. Dana Morale

Amazed!: Sponsors for breast implants into someone who will have an easy life because she is "beautiful". Aren't their starving, ill, poorly clothed people who could use a sponsor.....or would they only sponsor breast implants for the needy?

May 1, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  14. Nattada, Houston TX

The genius girl is adorable. She will be in the university and get her Ph.D. in no time.

Is that how you spell "mansa", Anderson?
    And you said you do not know how. 🙂

May 1, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Miss J

I remember when Anderson made the Most Beautiful list in '05. I loooved that picture. One of my favorite pictures of Anderson.

May 1, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Ray Schaefer

Yes it is something to be concerned about if Miss California had breast enhancement.
    seems like a double standard if atheletes were reprimended and fired for doing anabolic steroids to help them win.
    Both are enhancing beyond their natural attributes.

May 1, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Mike, Syracuse, NY, Frankly from what I saw on the clip of Ms. California they aren't revealing any "secrets."

May 1, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse, NY

My company has banned nonessential travel to Mexico, and if you have to go, you need Corporate approval.

May 1, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Rafael Bronx,NY

Good Night Everybody cya Monday

May 1, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  20. Maren in Oregon

As a former Mensa member, we would have been thrilled to honor Anderson with a membership! I bet they still would.

May 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Dodie from Irvine, CA

My concern would be if this flu becomes Tamiflu resistant!

May 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  22. David, Indiana

@Isabel well that's pretty quick for getting a vaccine into production, yes. Does seem like tamiflu and quick treatment help quite a bit.

Are you concerned about the spread of the virus in the southern hemisphere?

Happy Labor Day, didn't know it was Labor Day in Brazil too.

May 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  23. Marie Anne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

Received a tweet from the good doctor (Sanjay) that we'll have a lot of H1N1 vaccine but they'll manufacture less for the seasonal flu!

This is a no – no! H1N1 vaccines should not get in the way of the seasonal flu as these are two different variants!

May 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  24. Joel

We should shed a tear for every fallen hero, not just those that made an impression on the sec'y of state. How jaded we are about the monthly "death tolls". I am disgusted.

May 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  25. Cessy, Chicago

M-E-N-S-A !!!! The letters are in your name A-N-D-E-R-S-O-N ,except for M! Hahahahhahaaaaa..

May 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  26. Rebekah

m-e-n-s-a? sounds right haha

I wish I was that 2 year old genius. i can't believe i'm jealous of a toddler!

May 1, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  27. Samantha M.

wow i hope that little girl doesn't get too exploited... that happens too often.

May 1, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Isabel

Beatiful to see the excitement of Secy. Clinton ...
    I can not see someone so excited, I am equal

May 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  29. grace gregor

breast implants in beauty pagents are like steroids in pro sports.
    she should be disqualified.

May 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson!!!!
    I can't wait forward the Time 100 Most Influential tonight, I love The View, They are amazing ladies!

May 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Dorothy Williams

Ann C. Williams, US Circuit Appeals Court Judge from Illinois is my choice for the Supreme Court Justice position, her experience in the legal system and community services make her an excellent candidate. The decisions of the Supreme Court impact us all. She is fair and able to provide a balance to the court. She would be an asset to the court and the people of USA.

May 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  32. Anna

Please clarify: A relatively healthy person can get the swine flu. Is simple hand-washing (with soap and water) one of the main 'ingredients' that would keep one from getting the swine flu?

Anna, Toronto, ON

May 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Christopher Bovee

my goodness... Barbara Walters had a FULL lift... like not even just the eyes and cheeks, she's got new lips... 60 really is the new 40.

May 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Maren in Oregon

While I am looking forwad to time 100 tonight, I hope it's rebroadcast at an earelir hour for more people to see.

May 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  35. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Hillary is the real deal.

May 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  36. Cessy, Chicago

if people wants to complain about plastic surgery then most of the previous beauty queens should be targeted as well...Miss Universe, Miss USA, Miss Teen USA, etc...

May 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  37. joe

Does vitamin D3 help the immun system, if so how much should one take?

May 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  38. suzminaz

Re Miss California, the story seems to have cross-switched the Miss USA and Miss America contest. This controversy was about the Miss USA contest.

May 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  39. Michelle

The Obama administration is younger that is why they
    look good.

May 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Marie Anne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

Omg, I'm late!!! I dont have cable TV here at work!!!

May 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  41. Karen C

Yeah, definitely best looking administration ever. Smart too. And young. Makes one feel a bit of an underachiever.

May 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Maureen T, Canada

I love Joy Behar! She's got a great sense of humour! I know she's a comedian!

May 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  43. Joseph Strongheart

Is the swine flu still evolving as it goes along and changing?
    Since this is a newer type of flu, would it not get stronger if given a wrong type of medicine like tamiflu?
    So far on the tests, has anyone found out if this is only one type of Swine flu evolving or is there signs out there that there is more than one strain going on.

May 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  44. Angie

I have my concerns about the H1N1, especially since I have 2 young children and am also pregnant. I haven't heard much about how pregnant woman will be treated for this if infected. My husband is a firefighter/paramedic in L.A., so I'm also afraid of him catching it and bringing it home. What to do?

May 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  45. Lori

Good evening everyone . hope are all well.

when i taught my girls to cover their cough and sneezes years ago, it was into their middle arm, kinda opposite the elbow. it made sense to me. Now alot of ppl are retraining. thats a very good thing:) However, carrying kleenex and sanitizer is a must have.

May 1, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  46. Matt

Megan,

The vaccine you received a few months ago contained vaccine strains of viruses that were circulating at that time. Although it did contain an H1N1 virus, the surface proteins are extremely different from those of the circulating swine virus. The vaccine is not expected to provide much cross protection against this new virus.

May 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  47. Maureen T, Canada

I'm sorry that Whoopi Goldberg wasn't there! Looks like a great interview with the women from the View!! Can't wait to see the show! You're a great interviewer Andy!

May 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  48. Dulcie - Denver

Excellent report by Tom Foreman, as always. I learned about that process when I was in college but had assumed that the technology had moved on since then. Apparently not.

Thanks again!

May 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Anthonia-california

hey people!! 🙂

I cant wait until the TIME MAGAZINE influenced people airs tonite 🙂

May 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  50. Tom K

Anderson,

You're right. NO one cares about Miss California and her breast job. Get on with some real news!!

Same with the women of the 'View'. No one cares what they say any more. Real news please!!!

May 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |