May 1st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/01/09

Tonight on AC360°, we'll have the latest on the swine flu outbreak.  Plus,  the Supreme Court shake-up. Justice David Souter making it official today that's he'll be retiring when this current session ends in June. Tonight, we'll look at the possible contenders to replace him.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on tonight's headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Nancy

Though Ms California may have not given the PC response to the question, I have to give her credit, sometimes it takes more courage to speak honestly about how you feel about a situation. Though her opinion does not agree with mine, she does have a right to express it and she should not have been penalized because of it.

May 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Jen in Mex

@Dave in Indiana.
    I agree that the news about MX City is scary, but on second thought, who doesn't get sick with something when they go there, or live there? It's either respiratory problems or the famous tummy problems. That's just Mx. City, and probably a lot of other major urban centers in 3rd, oops, 2nd world countries. 😉 The rest of the country really is doing quite well.

May 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  3. Joel

Jacqueline, it will go on as long as the advertisers want it to.

May 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  4. Sandra Robertson, GA

Anderson, great program, as usual. I am thankful for Dr. Gupta in keeping us informed and updated on this new strain of influenza virus. I work in a physician's office and always keep a large bottle of isopropyl alcohol available for cleaning purposes, such as the surface of my desk, counter tops, etc. I believe cleanliness and personal hygiene is so important in our general health at home and in the workplace. Take care all and good night.

May 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Cessy, Chicago

ugh! Hasselback is annoying!

May 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Samantha M.

I really wish Whoopi was there.. that would have made it worth the watch.

May 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  7. christine edwards

Just wondering who is "sponsoring" breast implants for the beauty pagent contestants? I can understand donating money for college scholarships and a lot of other reasons, but not breast implants.

May 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Thomas

I think it's strange that Miss California's GOD doesn't want 2 people who love eachother to marry but her GOD doesn't mind her getting breast implants and parading around on television half naked. Hmmmmmm ?

May 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Nattada, Houston TX

O.k...so she did have a breast implant, no matter who pay for it. I do not know how much I care. And now she get to work for what she believe, eventhough I do not agree with it. Good for her.

May 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  10. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

If the most beautiful list has men on it too, then I know I'm not the only one who thinks that Rahm Emanuel should be one of 'Barack's Beauties'

May 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  11. daniel

I think it is absolutely ridiculous for people to judge someone for their views so that goes both ways. If Ms. Califoernia is for same-sex marriage people should admire her for standing up for her beliefs!

May 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Vicente, NYC

Perhaps Obama can take this opportunity to apoint a latino candidate to the Supreme Court. This would provide much needed representation of the fastest growing ethnic group in America.

May 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Cessy, Chicago

good evening Anderson, Erica, David and AC360 crew...

...and why does it matter if Miss California got breast implants? I dont get it either, Anderson. It seems like people have to nit pick
    ( err..spelling) on little things that really shouldn't matter. Let's give this a rest, folks! She stood up for what she believes in–THAT's what is important.

May 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Kris Samaro

Can anyone confirm if fabric with nano- silver particles reduce or eliminate the H1N1 virus.

Kris
    Tampa, FL

May 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  15. ryan

Marriage should be between a man and a woman.

May 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Louis Gray

I know there is intense pressure to place a woman or Hispanic on the court, but I think this is the time to place a Native American like John Echohawk on the highest court. Shouldn't the least of us sit in the highest chair if we are truly equal?

May 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Mark Velasquez

Supreme Court: Hillary. Check it out.

May 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Kathy, Chicago

AC, I think boobs, like people should be real!

May 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Jen in Mex

@Dave in Indiana.

May 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Anderson, as first runner up Miss California's duties are the same as Joe Biden's; checking daily on the health of the top dog.

May 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Amy

Hi,
    Our local news station, WPTZ.com, reported today the Trudeau Institute in Saranac Lake, NY will have a swine flu vaccine soon. I thought that was good news to share-

May 1, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  22. ryan

Miss California was completely right. Gay marriage is immoral and should not be legalized.

May 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  23. Samantha M.

wow, "keeping it honest" on a lot of topics tonight. and good "keeping it honest" coverage too.

May 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  24. Maren in Oregon

Carrie Prejean has had her 15 minutes. Only about 20 minutes left for the anti-gay marriage crowd, so it's not all bad. Just wait and be patient.

May 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  25. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I love The View. Happy they made the Top 100 list. They get my day started in the morning.

May 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Michelle

I agree with the list I saw the magazine today.

May 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Maribeth

I went to pick up my son from school yesterday and i was listening to the radio. One fellow on the radio was wearing health masks and the other commented and laughed quite heartily saying that its nonsense because the virus itself is smaller then the size of the breathing holes in a sergical face mask. I suppose what my question is, is this true and if so why do i keep seeing all over ppl with masks and yet the virus will still effect them having it on? Can anyone answer?

May 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Lori from IL

Anderson - you state your not sure why people care about this (breast implants for Miss California) - I don't think many people do - It's time she and her story go the way of Sarah Palin and the OctoMom.

May 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  29. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Who really cares what ms California thinks?

May 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Scott , N.Y.

We had a suspected case in our town that turned out to be negitive.The doctor said that the ony people they will test are if you had a recent trip to Mexico.Also stated that if you wanted to be tested you would have to pay for the test.I heard that most Insurence companies wouldent cover it. Is there any truth to this?If you are haveing flu symtoms shouldent the test be automatic?

May 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  31. joe b.

I work in a retail store 1 mile from St Francis Prep School. I helped a women and her coughing 10 year old kid. While at the counter the kid coughed practically on me several times. The incubation peroid for other flus is 1-4 days. Since I might be infected I'm avoiding crowded public places. Am I being over paranoid???

May 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Vicente, NYC

Perhaps Obama can take this opportunity to apoint a latino candidate to the Supreme Court. This would provide much needed representation of the fastest growing ethnic group in the America.

May 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Matt

"The hand sanitizers keep the viruses from sticking to your hands but don't necessarily kill them"?! I don't think Dr. Gupta remembers his virology courses. Influenza is an enveloped virus and therefore extremely sensitive to ethanol and detergents. The hand sanitizers containing alcohols as the active ingredient work wonders to inactivate the virus.

May 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Jacqueline, NY

How long is this Miss USA thing is gonna go on here?

May 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Renee

Perez Hilton is just rude!

May 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Nancy

I love the confused look on Anderson face and Ms California's plastic surgery..With everything going on in the world today, why is this even getting air time?

May 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Lauren--NY

@ Tina–if you are allergic to eggs (usually egg whites) you cannot receive a flu vaccine, as it will trigger your allergy.

God, I'm with Anderson–who *cares*? Let people do what they want to do with their bodies and move on. Who cares who's footing the bill.

May 1, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Martha M Jones

Hi 2 Questions

1. Once you have had the H1N1 virus can you catch it again in a couple of weeks, or does your body begin building immunties.

2. My daughter gets very severe asthma with flu and she has the vaccine every year. Know the current flu vaccine won't help should she only take antivirals if she actually gets the new flu? Will the anti virals have any effect on helping her asthma?

May 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  39. starr formerly known as vincent

Please, please, no more Miss CA. I have not heard the name of the winner of the Miss America contest.There's really something wrong about this.

I think "augmentation" or any other plastic surgery has no place in the Miss America contest.

May 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. vanessa from silver spring, MD

I could care less if Ms. California got implants.

May 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  41. sofia

because achievement beings and end with tits. very nice.

May 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Rebekah

here's a shocker: my school is telling us, you know, "wash your hands" etc. to prevent spread of illness yet when one uses the bathroom there ISN'T ANY SOAP. they NEVER have soap in the dispensers because of the terrible budget that we have here in Michigan for schools! it's ridiculous! so that's how i came to thinking... this recession could make this virus spread quicker from person to person. i think it's simply outrageous...

May 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Amy

Anderson and Dr. Gupta,

I'm confused as to why (or how) people die of the flu? If you could help me out that would be great!

Thanks!

May 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Michelle

Now you know why the ratings are always low
    for the beauty pageants.

May 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  45. brian davies indio, ca

The breast implants are as abvious as the poor comments she made on same sex marriage.
    This error is now making her money-only in America

May 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Michelle in L.A

Wow, the runner up got outed. Not sure if it is bad that they outed her, since she looks good enough to be runner up. Maybe much to do about nothing.

I am with u Anderson, does this matter? Why is it news?

Thats the thing about war, all is fair.... well, all but torture.

May 1, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Maren in Oregon

I am not a pagent fan; so I am not really sure why it's OK for young women to parade around in attire that would have gotten them arrested a few years ago. How much farth will this genre go. Now we learn that surgical enhancement is OK too. Ah, that's Entertainment!

May 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse, NY

How is it that this breast inplant revelation isn't a HIPA violation? She didn't say, so how can someone else?

May 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  49. Miss J

Anderson, in America, breasts ALWAYS matter!

I knew hers were fake anyway. They have that fake look. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

May 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I live dangerously, I don’t do flu vaccinations.

Esma,
    I do have flu vaccine already few months ago....... no problem.

May 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |