May 1st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/01/09

Tonight on AC360°, we'll have the latest on the swine flu outbreak.  Plus,  the Supreme Court shake-up. Justice David Souter making it official today that's he'll be retiring when this current session ends in June. Tonight, we'll look at the possible contenders to replace him.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on tonight's headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Esma

No more Little Miss "Opposite Marriage", please. I don't care about her fake vs. real parts.

May 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Naissa, Deep in the HEART of Texas!

Miss California just needs to go away already.

May 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  3. LisaL - Canada

implants here, implants there. everyone wants barbie boobs (no offense to anyone). mine end up under my armpits, and they are just fine that way, thanks.

May 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Ann

are the n-95 masks made for construction and found in hardware stores equally effective in protection from the flu as the n-95 surgical/medical masks?

May 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Nancy

@Miss J – you are correct. It was a 23 month old baby that died in the US from the swine flu however, the baby was visiting from Mexico.

May 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Isabel

The real deal is far from the reality

May 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Bea

Maybe Ms. California will sue the pageant when her breast implants leak.

May 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  8. stephen barth

For Dr.Gupta,

Is it possible for this virus ( and possibly others) to be transmitted via 2nd hand smoke (exhaled) ?
    If so, shouldn't we consider a ban on public smoking?

May 1, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Paolo

Hi everyone! I am quite surprised that the method used to create vaccines as Tom was reporting is 50 years old. Plus if it takes at least 6 months to develop a vaccine, it might be too little too late. The virus has long spread.

May 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Chris

I think we over reacted to the swin flu. The reagular flu kills more in a year

May 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Good one Anderson! "Surgically speaking" I'll bet Ms. Prejean wishes she would have kept her mouth shut!

May 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  12. Bea

Are there statistics on Americans who get sick in Mexico and stay there versus those who get sick after having left. Is the recovery rate for Americans the same all around?

May 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  13. Tina - Milwaukee, WI

if someone is allergic to eggs how are they going to get a vaccine for the H1N1 influenza?

May 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Michelle

Is it really a surprise that a beauty pageant contestant
    had plastic surgery ?

May 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  15. David, Indiana

@Isabel & Jen in Mex Yes it's good to hear things are all right in Puerto Vallarta, though sounds like there are various views swirling around there.

Question for Jeffery Toobin. Why couldn't Democrats accept the idea that they might be surprised by whomever President Obama nominates to the Supreme Court to fill Justice Souter's seat?

Question for Dr. Gupta. How long do you think we will be under this level five red alert? Do you think we will be under theWHO will bump up the warning to a full red alert, level six?

May 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  16. Jen in Mex

@John and @Dodie
    If the vaccine can be created in a lab, why couldn't the illness be created there as well?? And how did a Euro-Asian swine get into this????? Plz check this out. This is more important than finding out who is patient zero, or is the Smithfield Co. at fault??

May 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  17. Nancy

Each year the flu seems to mutate to a stronger strain. Flu shots are given every year yet most of the time those shots are out dated and have no effect on the current strain. What causes these mutations and how can they be prevented?

May 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Miss J

Was the woman from Mexico, who was the first Us death, here legally?

I thought she was from Mexico and got sick in Mexico.

I believe the only US death was the little toddler from Mexico who had come to Texas for treatment.

May 1, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Micki

Anderson, Why do we not simply distribute a dose of Tamiflu to every US household? Many people even in these times are not bothering to wash their hands. It's very upsetting to see the cavalier approach to the flu in the DC area at least.

May 1, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Joel

Dr Gupta: you are always a voice of wisdom and logic. I am glad you stayed with CNN instead of disapearing into the goverment!

May 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

As usual another interesting report by Gary! With the cartels and swine flu I hope Gary is keeping himself safe!

May 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  22. Maren in Oregon

"sickness & death" well that's pretty clear. Not good to hear, but very clear. Thanks Tom, for the unvarnished truth. They can't make vaccines fast enough, so...what? That's the big question

May 1, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Sherry

Are you immune if you have had H1N1? I think our family had this at the beginning of the month. Can we be tested retroactively ? Also , how can one get Tamiflu in time if we are told to stay home if our symptoms are mild? My Doctor will not send prescriptions without an office visit? Bit of a catch 22.
    Thanks, Sherry
    Knoxville ,Tn

May 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  24. niwat, Chicago

@ Jimmy Legg, to fortify your point, I wen out to buy a surgical mask, each cost 99 cents and it's not even an individual wrapped too ( a dollar for what looks like a bare pleated pulp with elastic band? ..i'll stick to my handkerchief.

May 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  25. Lori from IL

Thanks Anderson and Team 360 for the segment on the drug cartels in Mexico - we need to remain aware of things situation and not let this H1N1 virus block out other important news stories.

May 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Isabel

@ Marcelo Barros

I also am in Brazil, in RJ.

AC360 is an excellent program for news! It is the possibility that we have of a vision of a TV newscast different from what is done in Brazil, which is also very good.

May 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  27. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Are these new mutated strains the result of our poisoning our planet?

May 1, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Dulcie - Denver

Erica: It'd be nice if the appointment of new SCOTUS could be non-political, but I've already heard grumbling from conservatives.

Personally, I've thought that the remaining liberal justices have hung on thus far to avoid being replaced by conservatives. However, overall, I think a balance of liberals and conservatives is an important mix. Sure, I'm more liberal-leaning in my views, but I think that the Supreme Court should reflect ALL views and not just my own.

May 1, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  29. Maren in Oregon

It is a modern conundrum that the ancient inccubator – eggs – are still used to try and replicate the hi-tech vaccines created to fight disease. You'd hink they come up with something better.

May 1, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  30. Esma

I live dangerously, I don't do flu vaccinations.

May 1, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Michelle

How do you get a vaccine out of an egg ?

May 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  32. Edward from Austin, Texas.

Isn't giving preference to someone for the next U.S. Supreme Court Justice position based upon their race and gender the same as discriminating against someone else because of their race or gender? Sounds discriminatory to me.

May 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Was the woman from Mexico, who was the first Us death, here legally?

May 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  34. April Watson

We have a big desination wedding scheduled in Cancun on May 18th. My conern is for my 1 year old and 8 year old grand daughters. Does Dr. Gupta recommend we cancel the wedding in Cancun?

May 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Dodie from Irvine, CA

@ John

I agree with you regarding created in a lab

May 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  36. Lori from IL

Please - no more on Miss California - I quit watching beauty contests years ago and after this train wreck, I remember why.

May 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Mike MacCracken

On swine flu, in that it has a bird component, can it be carried from place to place by birds, especially migrating birds? Is encouraging birds to gather at feeding stations problematic?

Mike in Bethesda

May 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Nancy

With the technology available today, why are we still using chicken eggs to produce vaccines?

May 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Lauren--NY

I wish we would speed up coming up with an alternative to growing these inside eggs, because as it stands, people who are allergic to eggs cannot have these vaccines.

May 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  40. gosia

Tamiflu is supposed to help us fight the swine flu. It seems like it is given to almost everybody that has it or is in contact with sick people. My question is: Do people who get sick and are on Tamiflu or Relenza develpoe antibodies to the disease? Can they get sick again with the same virus? Two years age my daughter got the same flu twice within a month because she was put on Tamiflu the first time.
    I think it is a very important problem nobody even mentions.

May 1, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Dodie from Irvine, CA

I understand China is very close to a vaccine. They were working on one when Avian flu was a problem.

May 1, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Bea

I don't trust the Mexican government's reports. Should I?

May 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Michelle

If the H1N1 virus mutates, will the vaccine be effective ?

May 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  44. John

With the swine flu being composed of 4 components (2 swine, 1 avian and 1 human) what's the possibility of this 'never seen before' virus having been created in a lab?

May 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Cecilia

Question: I'd like advice on traveling to another country at this time.
    I'm not concerned about the flying. I'm concerned about being sick in another country without access to US medical care and my doctor.
    Is it better to postpone the travel for pleasure until things have settled down and more is known?
    Thank you.

May 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  46. Bea

I think pageants are pretty stupid but give Miss California credit. We need more people in this country who have the integrity at least to speak their minds, even if the point of view is one we disagree with.

May 1, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  47. Joel

I am glad that this flu is creating an unprecedented awareness of reality. People transmit disease with carelessness and uncleanliness. I still see people leaving the restroom without washing hands. I simply avoid them by giving them a three foot buffer.

May 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  48. michelle Litton

I am not panicking about the swine flu, I am just prepared and will take precautions. I have plenty of n95 3m masks, gloves, anitbacterial gel and soap. I am shocked that some people are dismissing this potential pandemic...if everyone follows the good hygeine we will all get through this.

May 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  49. John Troll, Compton, CA

Dear AC,

You weren't kidding when you said the Mexican authorities arrested thousands. I was in Tijuana last week eating tacos in the middle of the red light district (in front of Club Chicago) and saw truckload(s) of people got arrested by policia.

May 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Miss J

I'm already sick of hearing about Carrie and her breast implants.

May 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm |