May 1st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 05/01/09

Tonight on AC360°, we'll have the latest on the swine flu outbreak.  Plus,  the Supreme Court shake-up. Justice David Souter making it official today that's he'll be retiring when this current session ends in June. Tonight, we'll look at the possible contenders to replace him.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on tonight's headlines during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Marcelo Barros

My wife loves you. I'm writing from Brazil and watching now.

May 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Maren in Oregon

It's still hapening down there apparently, down in Mexico. Keeping the spot light on this, even at the risk that Tom Forman is taking, along with the interviewees. This is amazing, tragic, disgusting, and embarassing. How can Mexico and the US not just get rid of these horrible monsters? It makes ut look weak to sustain this reserve much longer.

May 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Isabel

Drug trafficking is one of the major problems of the contemporary world. Around the world millions of lives are destroyed by their use or as a result.

May 1, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  4. Michelle

The numbers are on Obama's side the Republicans
    can not derail his nominee.

May 1, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  5. Miss J

@Erica, a civil hearing depends on who Obama picks. If he picks a centrist (like HE claimed to be when campaigning) it should be civil. If he goes to the far left, it will be WWIII.

He could go moderately left.

May 1, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Isabel

This industry (the cartels) that generates profits of billions of dollars is strong and there is no interest in tackling it.

May 1, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Nattada, Houston TX

Send the fingers to pressure the family for ransom, how cruel!

May 1, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  8. sofia

great question bianca! i use a neti pot and nasal irrigation sprays. will either make us less susceptible?

-the hypochondriac
    (this flu is doing wonders)

May 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Esma

My heart goes out to the Harrison family, that story is just horrible.

May 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  10. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I believe that we are being a bit alarmist.

May 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Carol

Any chance of using livestock vaccines for swine flu in humans, or at least redirect the manufacturing capacity?

May 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Jason

Erica: When swine cases are reported, here in the United States, why can’t we get an exact location where the report came from, ex: What City, What Hospital? I think it would help prepare everybody else.

May 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Kim Feehan

Hello, and thank you for your show and you initiative!
    from the beginning of this issue coming out, the CDC stated that this virus was a compilation of Bird, Swine and Human virus components.
    thus, "Swine Flu". Then it was Swine/Human, then we were told not to call it swine but H1N1. As a Registered Nurse H1N1 to me is Influenza type A,
    My questions are:
    1. Why all the above ? Why the back and forth?
    2. Is this H1N1 Influenza type A and if so why all the changes/ flipflopping around as to what it is? or are the powers that be not wanting us to know something?
    3. If not Influenza A, is this a "Novice" Influenza A?

Thanks for your addressing this and for asking all the right questions for us! information is helpful,but when people in authority do not take the time to thoroughly think through the information they want to get out to the general public and dispense concise, information, that is well throught through we end up(ie ex) having people think you can't eat pork.

May 1, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  14. Deanna

Hi Anderson,

I have watched you for so many years. I have a question as far as the Swine Flu.

I have a question as far as my father who is not in good health and lives in a community in Iowa that several individuals go back and forth to Mexico.

Should individuals who are in poor health be protecting themselves with masks when they have to go to doctor appointments, etc.

Thanks so much.
    Deanna

May 1, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  15. Lori from IL

Good Webcast with Jeff Toobin - love his insight into our legal system and the Supreme Court.

May 1, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  16. ericacnn

some great answers from jeff toobin to some of the questions on the blog – thanks for asking them, @nini and @maren in oregon!

May 1, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Doretha

Hello. I have a question for you. We are expecting a visit from friends who are bringing their teenage grandchldren who have been living in Mexico City and just returned yesterday. Can they carry the virus and/or be contagious without having symptoms? Should we cancel the visit? Thank you.

May 1, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Greg, Austin Tx

I hope this flu thing fizzles out just like the "killer bees". Weren't they supposed to swarm over here and kill us all?

May 1, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  19. Isabel

@David, Indiana

The WHO said that countries of the Southern Hemisphere should be prepared for the possibility of epidemics of influenza H1N1 during the winter. The period provides the spread of the virus.

And today is Labor Day in Brazil too! 🙂

May 1, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Lynda Sleeter

My fiance and I are getting married on a Caribbean cruise on the 18th. Do we need to be worried about contracting swine flu? If so, how do we protect ourselves? Will the cruise liners have TamiFlu available or should we bring our own?

May 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  21. L. Carilo, H.R. CO

Correct me if I'm wrong; both President Obama and Vice President Biden have taught constitutional law, right? It will be interesting see how things proceed. ~ L.C.

May 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  22. John in San Antonio

Eric,
    There is no way that washington can keep anything non-political. Just look at the great BCS debate....great use of taxpayer dollars!

May 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Rebekah

thanks so much Anderson and the AC360 team for getting back to the Drug War in Mexico. i was afraid people would forget about it since this H1N1 outbreak but now that AC360 is getting back to the Drug War i'm much happier that people haven't brushed it off for the next new catastrophe.

May 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Jon -- CT

Could you please explain what exactly is the difference between an epidemic and a pandemic? Is it to quick to be calling this a pandemic so soon?

May 1, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Bianca

In other countries using a neti pot to clean out your nose and sinus passages is used and believed to help prevent
    and provide relief from common cold and flu. Could it be of help with this virus?
    There is a growing body of support for practicing nasal / sinus irrigation as a daily maintenance routine for keeping children and adults healthy. I would like to ask Dr. Gupta if this should be something we recommend on a grassroots prevention level?
    I have heard lots of great tips for that don't seem to be getting out there. I have been traveling alot and heard lots of good ideas for people to protect themselves. We need to be sharing those.

May 1, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  26. Mike, Syracuse, NY

May 1, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  27. Shivanka

Hello Mr. Cooper!

I am a big fan of your show & I watch it every single day.
    I saw your special on CNN Heroes & can't wait to see tonight's special on the 100 Most influential people in the world.

TC!

May 1, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  28. Barbara in Boston

Erica, I think there is zero chance that the SCOTUS replacement will be non-political. The Republicans are already gearing up for a fight.

May 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Miss J

So why aren’t as many people as possible being given Tamiflu as a prophylactic, until a vaccine is available?

So they can have enough for the ones who actually get sick.

May 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  30. Jack

Question for Jeff Toobin:
    I read that Souter may have been planning to retire if Obama was elected. Do you think the appointments of Alito, Roberts may have changed the dynamic of the court to the point where Souter just wanted out?

May 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  31. Michelle

He a question for Mr. Toobin. Is there any other time
    in US history in which a president had to pick a nominee
    for the SCOTUS so soon ?

May 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  32. David, Indiana

@Isabel, but you know for sure the flu is going to be here in the fall and there's quite a bit of built up experience in producing vaccines for the regular flu and that flu is proven to be dangerous.

Probably a good idea for the Mexican govt to extend the Labor Day holiday (I didn't know today is Labor Day in Mexico)

May 1, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  33. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Miss J – you are of course, correct. I believe he( Dr. Gupta) was going to wait 48-72 HRS. before he went home.

Thank God for his sacrifice as his reporting has been excellent and much needed!

May 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Lauren--NY

@ Anu China blocked AC360.com? Or are you just referring to your workplace?

May 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Andy Bridgforth

For those who received last fall's seasonal flu shots, are such flu shots at all "protective" against the H1NI virus, such as an abbreviated course of Tamiflu would be "protective"? For how long is the seasonal flu shot effective or should we, by now, have it updated as a prophalactic over the near term? I am flying long haul next week, Asia to New York.

May 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  36. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The idea would be to even the plain for the America people.

May 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  37. Monica M. Williams

As the flu strain continues to change will Tamaflu remain effective as well? Can someone who took the drug today become re-infected in the fall?

May 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Mary Michigan

My husband and i had the flu 3 weeks ago, He got it pretty bad, lasted for a week. I only got it for few days. Maybe that was swine flu?
    Dr. Gupta looks very sick. I think he is taking a chance going to all these countries chasing flu bugs when he has tiny children.

May 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  39. Isabel

@ David, Indiana

The news today is that the samples to develop the vaccine should be ready to be sent to laboratories for production in mid and end of May. And the deadline for production is between four and six months to be available.

That seems a long time, but better than nothing, right?

May 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  40. Bea

The whole litmus test discussion misses the point. There is no such thing as merit in the absence of diversity if not of people then of experience. Doesn't exist.

May 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Erica, isn't it about time for another round of useless finger pointing, accusation and debate on Capitol Hill? Let the games begin!

May 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Nicki

I think the WHO and the media are way over-reacting to the swine flu. There are 6.5 BILLION people on this plant and only a few hundred cases, and even fewer deaths. Using basic hygenic practices like hand-washing and mouth covering, things we should be doing anyway, will protect most from this disease. Let's dial back the drama!

May 1, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  43. John in San Antonio

Can someone please tell me why the "swine flu" is such a major issue compared to regular flu? For example, when I was younger and in grade school, you could tell when cold season was upon us because everyone was sick. Colds/Flu is communicable. People have died from the "regular" flu. In addion, doesn't the "regular" flu strain change each year. I find it unbelieveable that schools are closing down because of the flu.

May 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Michelle

Wow. Everything is just going President Obama's way.
    He will already get to pick a SCOTUS justice in less
    than a year.

May 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Laurie

My husband and I are scheduled to go on vacation in The yucatan South of Cancun near playa del carmen/ Our flight on Mexicana airlines has a 3 hour layover in Mexico city in both directions, do you think we should cancel or change or flight top be re routed thru another city?? Do the airports take precautions??iS there a higher risk to vacation in mexico rather than another place sAY Hawaii or is it the risk is on the airplanes no matter where you go//

THANKS,

LAURIE HERRERA

May 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Maren in Oregon

I have to say I am not as comfortable as I thought I would be with the concept of choosing the next justice on the basis, firs of gender or ethnicity, instead of judicial temperment, rulings history and outstanding judicial demeanor. Progressive would be good.

May 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Nini

I thought the Supreme Court judges should only be interpreting the law and not legislate?

May 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Nattada, Houston TX

@Joel..I am not a first timer, sort of. I still have a hard time keeping up with the blog. 🙂

Don't give up!!

May 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  49. ericacnn

hi, everyone and HAPPY FRIDAY

i am so intrigued by the SCOTUS debate...can't wait for the announcement so we can really get to the meat of this!

what do you think the chances are washington can keep these hearings civil and (somewhat) non-political?

May 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  50. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'm so glad Jeffrey Toobin is on–he is THE soruce for information about the Supreme Court.

May 1, 2009 at 10:16 pm |