April 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/30/09

Tonight on AC360°, the swine flu flight risk.  Vice President Joe Biden took a lot of heat today for saying "I would tell members of my family - and I have - I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places right now.  It's not that it's going to Mexico.  It's you're in a confined aircraft. When one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft."  Is that true? Tonight, 360's Randi Kaye is Keeping them Honest.   She spoke with a doctor who studies germs and viruses like swine flu to find out how they spread in air travel.  Don't miss her report.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on germs in flight during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Genevieve M, TX

Re: The Shot

How can one text and drive?? I can barely hold a conversation and drive (in the city)- forget about texting and driving!

The bus driver is definitely "not the sharpest tool in the shed".

April 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Jonny, KY

@ Niwat, Chicago

I did know that he once danced ballet! How cool is that? And you bet I'm thinking of those pirouettes...

Oh no! No piece about the sexiest people in the administration? But I must know!!

April 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  3. starr formerly known as vincent

Good night Anderson and Everybody at 360!

Good night fellow bloggers (especially Vanessa TX for twitter names)

Gotta admire Dr. Gupta's decision to not go home for 48 hours to make sure he doesn't have virus and give it to his family!!

April 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Jane

How effective are masks for prevention and caregiving?

April 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  5. gail

Why is Miss California now trying to be Miss Opposite Marriage? She should be made to choose. I do not feel that she is going to be warmly regarded by some in California after this and won't it interfere with her duties as Miss California. I am a person in as Miss Cali. says an "opposite" marriage and if a same sex couple gets married it is no threat to my 19 year marriage of my parents 40 year marriage. Also, she was not in first place when she answered this question. She lost the pageant.

April 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  6. richard

off course you can possibly catch it on a plane how you think it got all over the world it didnt walk

April 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Caroline, Los Angeles

@wade–have you ever had the regular flu before? If you have, it will feel like that. If you haven't then be suspicious if you get a high fever, some congestion and maybe a sore throat, and a headache and/or body aches. When you get a cold you usually don't get a bad headache and bad body aches. When you have the flu all your joints hurt. It sucks.

April 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Krasi, Houston, TX

I like this Erica. This is America, we sue:) Well this guy deserves it.

Good night everybody! Stay safe.

April 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Maureen T, Canada

Anderson,
    thank you for allowing us to ask questions about the swine flu (I don't remember the new name). I always know when I watch AC360 I'm informed, I usually learn something new, and I'm laughing. And I love to laugh!! ...Funny shot! LOL. Thanks again Anderson! Good night and keep smiling.

April 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Joan

Since I had surgery 2 1/2 years ago, my immune system is very weak. It seems as though whenever I am around someone with a cold, I get it, no matter how much I wash my hands. What can I do for a preventive course so I don't get the virus, what can I do to build up my immune system ?

April 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Anthonia-California

goodnite all!

April 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Zoee - Canada

@Shaun
    It was Kristen Dalton from North Carolina who actually won.

April 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Phillip Kumar jr

What makes the swine flu so much more worse than the flu we normaly get. Why is it such a big deal and why isn't the nomal flu treated like this

April 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Lori from IL

It's about that time -

Anderson - good show tonight, enjoyed the mix of topics - I have fond memories of my visits to NOLA - lots of unique places - one of my favorites "Mid City Lanes"

Erica - now following you on Twitter - you need a picture!

Good night, Fellow Bloggers - enjoyed chatting ... until tomorrow ... peace

April 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  15. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

May the best man win the twitter war! Goodnight everyone.Peace to all of you and yours.

April 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Will, Dallas

Hey Anderson,

With just only one death in the US, are schools jumping the gun with all of the closings?

April 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  17. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

Relax. Do the best you can to build up resistance to the flu and all will be well.

Best wishes to your AC360 team.

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

April 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  18. Anne

Why isn't anyone talking about the confirmed cases of "H1N1" in NJ?

April 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, David G, Edurado (Ed Henry) and my friend twitter/facebook bloggers!!!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    See you on Monday night!
    I am glad Dr Gupta is doing great job, and he's fine!
    Anderson,
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! See you Monday night!!! Have a plenty sleep! 😀

April 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Anonymous

My daughter (5) has Type A flu and we are waiting for CDC to get back with us .. we are having serious problems in Tampa Florida finding Tamiflu for her and the rest of the family member. How long does it take for CDC to confirm and what is the process after doctor confirms it's Type A flu?

April 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Heather - Spokane, WA

After seeing that video with the bus driver texting while he was driving and getting into that accident makes me really mad because he was a paratransit driver and had passengers with him.

April 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  22. Fay - California

Sorry to hear about the closing of the Spotted Cat–it sounded like a really unique spot in a really unique city.

April 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  23. Jessica

How are we going to stop the swine flu or is it just going to keep spreading throughout the world. what are the states that swine flu has hit

April 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  24. LisaL - Canada

oh – the spotted cat sounds like it was very unique and special. some things live on in spirit – special places included.

April 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  25. Michael In South TX

Joe Walker, Masks will help keep it out of your face but you must change them often. Think of it this way your wearing a sponge on your face, it stops the stuff but it also holds it there.

April 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  26. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Miss CA is being demonized by the left. She was asked fror her opinion, gave it, and guess what, 55% of America agrees with it.

April 30, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  27. Denise

Should people living near intensive hog operations be more concerned?

April 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  28. Neil Alderman

Did I just hear JT correctly? two parts pig, one part bird and one part human ?!?!? What in the WORLD ??? And we're supposed to just 'wash our hands'?

April 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  29. Mary Urzi

Good Evening from EL Paso Texas.

April 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  30. Nattada, Houston TX

I remember the spotted cat when I was in New Orleans. Did not know it is owned by local New Orleans resident. Sad to see it has to be closed.

April 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  31. Jacqueline, NY

I've ridden with bus drivers reading newspapers, talking on phone, texting, and FALLING asleep while driving. Discreetly, I always approach them about it, and or call it in to MTA. But I still see it a lot.

Once, while waiting at a subway station for my train to pull in, the conductor was out cold when the train pulled in. I walked up to his window a woke him with, "You're here." I Asked him if we was OK. He said he was. But how scary is that.

April 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  32. Jana, Indiana

That is a shame that the Spotted Cat is closing in NOLA.

Good night Anderson and all bloggers. TGIF tomorrow!

April 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  33. Iman Hammad

Hey Anderson.

Ya who cares what Biden said. I mean I agree sometimes he needs to put his foot in his mouth. But he doesn't mean harm. I appreciate that he wished the same for the country as he wished for his own family. Although we don't want a panic. I don't think ANYONE is worried. When I asked people in school they all replied "..well im going to take the Swine Vaccine this weekend.." They think there is a vaccine already. No one is worried. They are ignorant.

April 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  34. Gail ~ VA

In as much as this strain of flu is obviously spreading , it would appear that Vice President Bidden's comments is a common sense approach that most people should follow to try to stay well.

April 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  35. David - New Port Richey, FL

That bus driver sounds like a real idiot. I could see texting while driving but not while you're driving a bus with a bunch of people on board.

April 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  36. Michelle

Texting while driving in just a dumb thing to
    do there is no way to keep our eyes on the road.

April 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  37. Caroline, Los Angeles

@Erika-I've heard that you cannot. Your body will build up an immunity to that particular virus, just as it does to the regular flu strains when you get those.

April 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am so sorry to hear that "The Spotted Cat" is closing. I had hoped to visit it someday. I guess I will have to find another place to swing dance when I go to NOLA.

April 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  39. Angie

I can't believe our Homeland Security has banned the border patrol from wearing the sars masks because they would make them appear intimidating. Where are their priorities?

April 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  40. Thomas James

if you have the flu and cannot access healthcare, what can you do? i think i have the flu and no insurance!

April 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  41. Rebekah

@Anderson, Erica – i read your guys' tweets about that "twitter battle" earlier... but i'm following both Ed and Ali so at least I wont be part of the insanity haha can't wait to see who wins =]

April 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  42. Jacqueline, NY

@ Anderson: Was part of that magic you dancing doing the foxtrot?

April 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  43. Lawson

Are those masks I see people wearing Particulate Masks

April 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  44. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

people it's not that hard to put your phone away while driving....

April 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  45. Cessy, Chicago

By any chance, did you take swing classes when in New Orleans, Anderson? I'm sure they will miss you, too!

April 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  46. Lauren--NY

Anderson, I'm sorry one of your favorite bars is closing. That's a shame.

April 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  47. Isabel

beautiful music

April 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  48. Miss J

Is the "Spotted Cat" the place where Anderson got his famous crab cakes?

April 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  49. Laura - Va

Anderson, why don't you purchase the Spotted Cat? Keep the tradition going.

April 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  50. gail

with destination weddings on the rise, many of us future brides have weddings planned in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area. For us, we leave at the beginning of June. Do we cancel?? We have many guests traveling with us and have planned for several months, so to reschedule everyones vacation would not be a option. I want to makae sure our guests will be safe. So it's go or cancel???

April 30, 2009 at 10:53 pm |