April 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/30/09

Tonight on AC360°, the swine flu flight risk.  Vice President Joe Biden took a lot of heat today for saying "I would tell members of my family - and I have - I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places right now.  It's not that it's going to Mexico.  It's you're in a confined aircraft. When one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft."  Is that true? Tonight, 360's Randi Kaye is Keeping them Honest.   She spoke with a doctor who studies germs and viruses like swine flu to find out how they spread in air travel.  Don't miss her report.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on germs in flight during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Lori from IL

Jack Gray has been encouraging the Ed Henry and Ali Velshi Twitter followings today - along with Erica Hill and Randi Kaye - come on girls - take on these guys!!

April 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Isabel

@ David, Indiana
    One thing that always worried me was the maintenance of air-conditioning in public building. If it exists!

@ Randi Kaye and 360 team
    The air-conditioning, in business, should be a major focus of germs, right?

April 30, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  3. cdelrioch

Mandy: tell your parents that coming to NY for your graduation is perfectly safe.....enjoy your graduation and hope you have your family with you for the moment.

April 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  4. MarieAnne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

Ohhh let the guy retire! He's old anyway! Let him spend his remaining good years with his family and friends! 🙂

April 30, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Lana

If this virus started in Mexico over a month ago, when was the first death in Mexico ?
    Are we going to follow the same path ....

April 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Anonani, Honolulu

Hawaii is really spun up checking visitors and checking them twice. I hope that paradise dodges the bullet!

April 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  7. laura

I sure hope I'm not still working when I'm 69!

April 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Katie W

If you contract the H1N1 virus and recover, are you immune from that particular strain of virus in another outbreak?

April 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Danny

Mr, Cooper,

Have there been any cases IN Cancun? If not , why would our gov. not want us to go there? Mexico is a big country. Would you not go to Maine if you heard that Orlando had a outbreak of swine flu?

April 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Will Hepa air filters also help against contracting the flu? I have major concerns....

April 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  11. David - New Port Richey, FL

What? But David Souter isn't even that old. He's not the youngest but he's not that old.

April 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Jane in Brooklyn

I understand how this Swine Flu is passed from person to person, but when can it be passed? Is it when a person feels terrible and has or the symptoms? or days before?

April 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  13. Isabel

Questions for the doctor...when a vaccine is offered for the H1N1 virus, will it also be available to individuals with egg allergies? If not, how dangerous is it to receive the vaccine as a person allergic to eggs?

April 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Shaun

Why are we still referring to this as "swine flu" instead of "H1N1" virus?
    Come on AC360...get on board.

Shaun
    Yonkers, NY

April 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Tim A.

You were talking about the first to show signs of revival would be retail stores and some there was also mention of truckers in there. I'm a writer for the online truck stop – 12Volt-Travel.com. We would like to welcome all truckers to stop by and browse our virtual shelves.

April 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I know, hearing someone cought (these days) is not the "Sound Of Music."

April 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  17. John in Seattle

You know I don't hear anyone talking about the 1918 flu also came out in a limited form in the spring and then evloved and came out in the fall in a very virulient form! I'm not worried about swine flu as it exists today but what it will be this fall. Also anyone know why influenza goes away in the summer months?

April 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  18. Niwat, Chicago

@ Johny, KY.. I kinda think Rahm Emanuel is quite appealing..u know he was once a trained ballet dancer before he gets all tough up to be the "Rahmbo" ...imagine him in pirouettes

April 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  19. Barbara in Boston

I will be very sad to see Justice Souter retire. He's been a great justice.

April 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  20. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Leave Miss California alone she is enttiled to her opoinon ,it creates such strife.

April 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  21. cdelrioch

Lots of questions about traveling by plane after the comments of the VP. My feeling is that it is safe to travel by plane. I just took a plane on Monday from Mexico City to Atlanta, most people were wearing masks (not because they were mandated but because they wanted). I did the same because we were coming back from Mexico but I am traveling to DC on Wednesday and, I don't plan to take a mask with me. Why, becuase the air circulation and filtration systems in airppanes has been significantly improved in the past years and because this virus does not seem to be highly transmissible.

April 30, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Laura - Va

No matter a man or woman for Justice Souter's empty seat, I want a qualified justice.

April 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  23. Lisa in Ohio

I'd love to know if there is anything preventative you can for Swine flu besides hand washing? Would pro-biotics help? Vitamin C? Anything like that?

April 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  24. Dave

hello anderson

are people with hiv more at risk with this swine flu?

April 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Michael In South TX

If its not that fast moving why do we have 220 suspect cases here in Cameron County TX in just the last two days? Other than the fact our hospitals are being flooded by people from Mexico coming here to Brownsville and Harlingen to the hospitals.

April 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Sherri, Somerset MA

What are the chances of getting the swine flu if you get a flu shot?

April 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Adam Miller, WI

I am a student at a High School in Waukesha, WI, right next to Milwaukee, and there has been 2 reports of the swine flu in Milwaukee, i guess. 4 schools are shut down. I agree on Vice Pres. Biden's decision on not really going anywhere right now. I am even afraid of this, because if this Flu keeps on spreading the way it is, i might be out of school by the middle of may...cant afford that.

April 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  28. Melinda

I was at the Drs. office because my daughter needed a shot. I heard some pretty bad coughs when I was in there.. It is scary. I washed my hands and used a paper towel on all doors all the way out. However, I feel that if your immune system is okay, then you can survive this flu.

Learning about serial kilers just now really grossed my out! Reminds me of a class I took in college about personalities. It seems that some people are just born that way. That is the only way my brain can make sense of it!

April 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Michelle

If the virus is a work in progress does that
    mean there will be mutations? Wow now
    President Obama gets to appoint a SCOTUS
    justice.

April 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  30. Joyce

In your coverage on tips for not spreading germs when coughing and sneezing re flu you do not mention coughing /sneezing into the bend of your elbow/lower arm. I feel this is a much better method than covering your mouth with your hand or a kleenex.

April 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  31. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Anthonia – CA

nom de guirre means a "fancy or classy name".

I can't believe that AC rides the NY subway!

April 30, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Kate

Thank you for talking about the Souter retirement.

April 30, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Jonny, KY

I'm going to miss Souter so much. 🙁

I love all the stories Jeff Toobin has about him in "The Nine."

April 30, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  34. Miss J

Supreme Court nomination for Obama – woohoo!

April 30, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  35. June Condruk in Hawaii

I am seeing/hearing conflicting information about using alcohol based gel anti-bacterial hand wash. Some say it has absolutely no affect on this or any virus and some say use it! Bacteria? Virus?
    What is the real truth Anderson?

April 30, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Lauren--NY

Wow, you're correct, AC–I Googled "nom de guerre" and it was a phrase for pseudonym that I had never heard! I must be some kind of an idiot. "Nom de plume" I knew, but not "nom de guerre"–war name. Hmm.

Apparently they were frequently adopted by recruits in the French Foreign Legion as part of the break with their past lives and by members of the French resistance during World War II. Thanks for expanding my language skills, kiddo! 🙂

April 30, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  37. marcela

hi Anderson,

I was wondering how fast the swine flu is spreading?

Thanks

April 30, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  38. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Miss J.
    I agreee Anderson ,Erica should be on beautiful people list .

April 30, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

those swine flu shots freak me out more than the actual virus

April 30, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  40. Mike, Syracuse, NY

In 1918 there were no antibiotics and many died from secondary issues like pnemonia.

April 30, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  41. J.

If there is a shortage of tamiflu, would over the counter items such as sambucol or oscillococcinum help you in the same way? What over the counter items would you recommend?

Thanks!

April 30, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Barbara in Boston

The Secretary of Education is kind of cute, but please don't tell me Larry Summers is on that list.

April 30, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Jonny, KY

@ Lauren–NY

We are not alone in our Rahm-appreciation! How can you beat that smirk, those huge eyes, and that lack of a finger? Man's got the entire package, I tell ya.

April 30, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  44. christopher williams

Why isnt cnn reporting the news of Supreme Court Justice Souter is retiring and the prospects for an Obama nominee?

April 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  45. Ellen

Are there any confirmed cases in North Korea at this time? Are there any confirmed cases in China at this time?

Respectfully

April 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  46. MarieAnne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

Hmmnnn– Seems the spread in the US is non-stop! Can CDC and health organizations stop it???

April 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Nancy

Should we be concerned about all the vegetables and food products that are imported from Mexico into our food chain. Will the virus stay active on food that is handled by possible infected workers? Thanks

April 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  48. Richard

I have three questions about the H1n1 virus. First, how long is the incubation period. Two, is an indivdual able to spread the virus to others during this incubation period but not yet having symtoms. Three
    is this virus more contagious than other seasonal flu strains.

April 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  49. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The twitter battle Ali ,Ed ,Coop so nail bitting i vote for Coop .

April 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  50. Nattada, Houston TX

I heard that the better way to cover your sneeze is to cover it with your sleeve closer to your shoulder, not to your hands.

April 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm |