April 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/30/09

Tonight on AC360°, the swine flu flight risk.  Vice President Joe Biden took a lot of heat today for saying "I would tell members of my family - and I have - I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places right now.  It's not that it's going to Mexico.  It's you're in a confined aircraft. When one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft."  Is that true? Tonight, 360's Randi Kaye is Keeping them Honest.   She spoke with a doctor who studies germs and viruses like swine flu to find out how they spread in air travel.  Don't miss her report.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on germs in flight during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cynthia

What is the risk of taking a small child (2-3 years old) onto a plane (in terms of catching swine flu?)

April 30, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Laura - Va

So Miss California got a job campaigning agaisnt same sex marriage. That doesn't surprise me. Controversy leads to opportunity.

April 30, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  3. cdelrioch

Maggie: yes, other parts of Mexico also have cases. In fact, Mexico has 32 States plus the Federal District (where Mexico City is located). There are now cases suspected or confirmed in 14 of the 32 states and in the DF (Mexico City) but, a lot of the talk is about Mexico City because it is there where most cases are and most people live (about 20 M people).

April 30, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

You must carry hand santizer everywhere even handles on bugys in supermarket are full of bacteria .

April 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  5. Maria

@Erica,
    I think Tamiflue will block the spread of snezzing and coughing

April 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Cessy, Chicago

Hi Anderson!

I,too ride the "L" subway here in Chicago and noticed that people turn and get annoyed when they hear someone cough. ME? I dont even sit down anymore nor try hard not to hold on to anything. I stand and try to lean on a wall–crazy!!!

April 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  7. Miss J

Is Anderson on that most beautiful list? Both Anderson & Erica should be on there.

April 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  8. Samantha M.

Bus drivers are great people, but they do have a lot of responsibility they need to be conscious of. My grandma rode the bus and fractured her back because the bus driver didn't pay attention.

April 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  9. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Anderson

What are Ali V and Ed Henry's twitter addresses (can't get the webcast to run on my computer)?

Details, please anyone?

April 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Paul

Swine Flu Fear,
    I am traveling with my two small children 3 and 8 months From Florida to Maine on a major airline carrier, Hand Sanitizers ready Lysol wipes for when we sit down on the plane Neosporin for the noses, should we go or cancel?

Am I putting my children's life in danger?

Concerned Papa

April 30, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Rebecca

Hi, any news on the swine flu in South America?

(I Plan to leave in 3 weeks for a 5 week trip to six different countries)

April 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  12. Mike, Syracuse, NY

What kind of new job could satisfy someone's urge to kill? Exterminator? Mortician?

April 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Nela Hillsborouogh, New Jersey

Why I see other nations been more precautions about the swine flu than America,
    Example: Argentina colse the flights to and from Mexica
    Costa Rica: Are asking people to work from home

Why America instead to make everybody stay home and heal, let us go out and get sick...Would it be cheaper have a prevention campaing than a recovery campaing?

April 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  14. Mary In Tampa

I thought planes have air filters that are highly rated and remove "bad" things from the air?

April 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  15. Genevieve M, TX

Why not let the victims' families decide how the criminals are punished? I feel those are the people who are entitled to decide the fate of those scumbags.

Give the power back to the victims and their familes! It's the least society can do, especially, since everyone already knows that criminals currently have more rights than the people they hurt!

April 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  16. Fred Weber

What is all the fuss about "swine Flu"??? Every year ~5ook people die world wide from the FLU! There is no antidote for that either so why is this "FLU" making headlines. Seems like a diversionary tactic so we don't worry about the trillions of dollars being printed that will cause runaway inflation in 24 months.

April 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  17. Lauren--NY

Anderson..."nom de guerre"? That means "name of war." Don't you mean "nom de plume?" Or did I miss something?

April 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  18. Michael In South TX

The incubation period is 48 hours and you can pass it to others as long as you have a high fever.

April 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  19. David, Indiana

@Isabel, yes public building often have cold air that can make people feel susceptible to a virus or illness.

Ali's rept on Chrysler and how the recovery might come on both very thorough. So the govt will have a seat on the Chrysler board? For how long? How will this chapt 11 bankruptcy process go, what are the steps? I felt good to hear President Obama give credit to Chrysler and Fiat for their strides toward joining the two companies.

April 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Nattada, Houston TX

I am happy to just learn a new word today. V-money is nom de guerre. Cool.

I heard that the better way to cover your sneeze is to cover it with your sleeve closer to your shoulder, not to your hands.

April 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  21. emily

I just wanted to know how worried I have to be as a pregnant woman with the swine influenza? Is the medication I can take if infected? What about toddlers if they get infected? Thank you!

April 30, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

@Erica my vote is for Cooper to win twitter battle .Anderson twitter name Sliver fox! -What do you think Erica ?

April 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Lori from IL

@Anderson Cooper - think people were nervous on the subway today because they watched Randi Kaye's segment on how far one sneeze travels on the subway a couple of nights ago on ac360?

April 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  24. cdelrioch

Ross: the hand disinfectants (alcohol based gels) are great. I carry one with me all the time when I travel and use it frequently to clean my hands. we also use them all the time in the hospitals. If you go to the hospital or go see your doctor, make sure they use the gel before they touch you. Not because you may have something bad but because they may have some resistantr bacteria in their hands that they can give you!

April 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Armand (Ras)

Mr. Cooper, I'm a fully licensed pilot, as well as, a prior member in the flight community of the U.S. Air Force. One of the main blocks of training that we all go through as pilots, is the containment and control of viruses within the closed environment of an aircraft which flies above 12,000 feet. The flight level of 12,000 is a very key component in this argument, because it's at this level in which the cabin is pressurized and SEALED to simulate an environment to that of 8,000 feet. It's at this time that all air is constantly recycled along with a constant injection of Oxygen from onboard oxygen tanks for us humans to breathe. Well, the point is this....anything that's airborne, such as viruses fron a sneeze, is re-circulated along with all the good air molecules that we rely on to keep us from suffocating at flight altitudes. State College, PA

April 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Heather - Spokane, WA

If this guy is the actual guy this is one of the biggest captures since the Green River Killer and that capture was for something totally different than murder

April 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Cynthia W

I've worked in hospitals for 35 yrs. and never have I seen so much "A-do" about nothin'! It's the flu for gosh sakes! Had we only been this worked up over HIV when it reared it's ugly head! The media has blown this flu thing way out of proportion and causing alot of unneccessary panic over a few sick days and back to life as usual. All the money and time being thrown at this is enough to make ya sick! We need to chill out.

April 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Reggie

Question:
    I have AIDS with a TCell count of 204 and a viral load over 10,000. Am I at a greater risk catching suine flu than others? and how can I protect myself.

April 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Stephie

wouldn't it be better to cough into your sleeve or something rather than your hands that then touch everything and spread more germs especially when so many people are not pro active in the hand washing area?

April 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  30. Krasi, Houston, TX

They manage to avoid detection because they are good at what they do, they blend in and they don't fit the completely wrong idea that only "strange" looking people are criminals. That's how they become serials.

April 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Vanessa, TX

@Erica so I take Anderson is pledging his support for V-money..really? cuz our Eduardo (@edhenrycnn) is catching up, will you support Team Eduardo? lol

April 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  32. Geneva

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a higher risk with the swine flu to pregnant woman? I'm 4 months pregnant and don't want to stress myself out for nothing. Also is there a risk to my unborn child?

April 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Peter

Anderson, In regards to Swine flu in mexico, all you see are people wearing masks. Isn't this only helping the people who are infected from spreading it and not helpful in pertecting the people from getting it? Can't they get it from contact with their eyes which are not protected...

April 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Bob Blitz

If the Department of Homeland Security knew of the epidemic in Mexico before spring break, why wasn't the American public informed; and if they didn't know about it – why didn't they?

April 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

What does tha Ed Henry name mean? On twitter guy with swave tweet or something?

April 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Miss J

Anderson – I thought many serial killers elude the police for a long time (if not forever). Are you really all that surprised?

April 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Lynn H

Good Evening Anderson!

Tonight my 10 year old son came down with a moderate fever and a stomach ache – he has vomitted a couple of times. We are going to take him to the doctor in the morning.

Two questions:

1) What is the probability that he has some other type of Flu other than Swine Flu?

2) Should our family stay home from work and school until he has been properly diagnosed?

Thanks,

Lynn H.

April 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Brandi - bottom of the boot

k, ali likes V-Money, so V-Money it is! i hope everyone is following @alivelshi.

and @gayle mc, haha he called u out!!!! campaign manager for Eduarrrdo (Ed Henry)!!! lol

Erica, awesome webcast!

April 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  39. Dee

A co-worker returned to work yesterday after vacationing in Mexico. She wasn't feeling well, came in today and left feeling sick. She's being tested for Swine Flu today. How worried should I be?

April 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Genevieve M, TX

You think planes and subways are germy?? I remember the college classes that had over 200 students in it! Sitting in a room with that many people for 50 min or 90 min (depending on day) is plenty of time for anyone to get sick. In spite of wiping down my mini desk each class day- I remember always being sick with something or other during my freshman year. Ahhchoo, indeed!

Oh and let's not forget the lovely (being sarcastic here) classmates who used the same tissue for the entire class period. ugh!

April 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I am on it right now twitter with Ali and Ed too. So exciting!

April 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Lisa G.

How long is the incubation period for the H1N1?

April 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! I hope you continue to stay safe from the swine flu.
    It would be great to see the recession turn around over the summer. I'd hope there would be more focus on creating new jobs rather than relying on what has worked in the past.

April 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Mary In Tampa

I think Joe Biden answered the question honestly. Let's face it , WHO classified the swine flu outbreak as a level 5 one step away from highest level, so I don't think what VP Biden said will change anything.

April 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  45. ericacnn

the battle heats up, and now cooper is in on the action...look out!

April 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Cessy, Chicago

I work in a hospital setting...every morning, I use 1 bottle of alcohol cleaning my desk and the whole nurses' station ( where I spend most of my time). I've been doing this for 3 yrs now since I got hired. My co-workers laugh every morning but I am paranoid about getting sick esp. working in this kind of environment–more so now when people are in and out of our floor.

All of the admitted patients in our hospital now go through H1N1 screening.

April 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Jane

Question for Dr. Gupta:
    Is the 8511 N95 respiratory mask recommended for prevention as well as caregiving?

April 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Maybe Micheal Jackson is not cvrazy for wearing a mask all these years ha!

April 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  49. MarieAnne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

This serial killer should be penalized and put to death row!

April 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Samantha M.

hmm... i wonder y everyone is nervous about riding the subway... could it b because of a certain subway coughing coverage some network did yesterday?...

April 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |