April 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/30/09

Tonight on AC360°, the swine flu flight risk.  Vice President Joe Biden took a lot of heat today for saying "I would tell members of my family - and I have - I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places right now.  It's not that it's going to Mexico.  It's you're in a confined aircraft. When one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft."  Is that true? Tonight, 360's Randi Kaye is Keeping them Honest.   She spoke with a doctor who studies germs and viruses like swine flu to find out how they spread in air travel.  Don't miss her report.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on germs in flight during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dodie from Irvine, CA

The report of Thomas is just amazing. All social workers in California must have a life-scan with extensive background checks....

April 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  2. Doug

Since this virus was transffered from pigs to humans,then human to human.Can the infected humans transffer to there pets or other farm animals?

April 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Anthonia-California

whats nom de guerre?

Thats really creepy how the serial killer was out on the loose for decades at a time without being in jail for a while

April 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Mike

Good evening AC,
    Qn for Dr Gupta. We were planning on goin on a 3 day vacation to San Diego. SD being so close to Mexico (it would practically be a neighboring city in another world), would you have an opinion to go for it or not?

April 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Michael In South TX

Here in the Rio Grande Valley All of our local phyarmacys and our local Doctors are low if not completly out of both medications used for treating Swine flu and are unable to ubtain more. The reason for this is Doctors from Mexico are comeing accross and trying to buy as much of the medicans as they can as there is no stocks left in Mexico. Also they are sending their patients to the U.S. to fill their prescrbtions for these drugs.
    Now here in the Rio Grande Valley we have 5 comfrimend cases all linked to people comeing across from Mexico.

April 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Scott - Houston, Tx

I read a pandemic prepartory document that theorized that the "first" wave could last in an area for 1 month with a peak of infection in the first two (2) weeks. Is there any truth to this?

Also, how likely will a "second" wave be in 3 to 9 months ("next flu season") in the fall?

April 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Jonny, KY

@ Anderson Cooper:

"Ali even has a cool twitter nom de guerre."

Easy there, college!

April 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  8. cdelrioch

Dr. Thompson: Thanks for your question. No, the virus is not man made. Nature is actually better than we are. Recombination of different influenza viruses in pigs happens because pigs can get infected with pig strains, avian strains and human strains. The current influenza A H1N1 is two parts swine, one part avian and 1 part human......

April 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

What does nom de Guerre mean in english ?

April 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  10. LJRoy

I am allergic to dust, pollen and certain perfumes. Would someone please tell me how the blazes I can explain I am sick from allergies and not the swine flu?

April 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  11. Sonja

Can you aquire the swine flu a second time? (If you can a mild case now but the pandemic becomes more deadly, can you get it again?

April 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  12. MarieAnne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

Anderson riding the subway??? Whew!! You did not get 'mobbed'!! LOL 🙂

April 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  13. patti

So, if you cannot get germs on an airplane WHY when someone is on one with TB does the medical community go crazy over that IF the air systems are so good on an airliner? Doesn't make sense to me at all!

April 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  14. Victoria

What is it going to take for the government to take this serious? What, its not spreading fast enough? Why arent we in the state of emergency? Are they waiting for people to start dying? And if so then it might be too late. Looks like the government is leaving thing up to us like always.

April 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  15. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Anderson, Eduardo (Ed Henry) is my man, sorry Ali....

April 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Paolo

Hi everyone! I honestly wasn't taking this swine flu seriously until Wednesday when the number of cases escalated and the first US case was reported. But now, I am more nervous if I should even travel in the fall.

17. Chris

Use mask prevention instead of flu. Airline travel is a perfect condition for the spread of virus. Japan has issued masks for years to protect flyers. I have used masks on flights and avoided other's germs and made others more confident when I cough because of allergies. We need to get over our egos and protect ourselves and one another, all the time.

18. Jana, Indiana

Hmm I wonder what Lee Ioccoca thinks of Fiat taking over Chrysler?

19. Vanessa, TX

@anderson Eduardo (ed henry) is totally gonna bring it! We need your support ppl, @edhenrycnn WILL WIN! lol

20. yvonne bower

does the h1n1 virus always need a human host to keep itself alive?
    Can it live on a household surfaces? If so – how long? thank you for your answer.

21. Maria

@Erica,
    I think Tamiflue will block the spread of snezzing and couphing

22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am really concern the bus driver is not pay attention while he text and drive, can be cause accident, That is very dangerous reckless drive while he texted.

23. Anne

I have paid for an all inclusive trip to Playa Del Carman at a resort between Cancun and Cozumel from May 27 -June 4th. I have until May 6th to cancel for full refund – should I cancel?

24. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Anderson, we had a woman at a restaurant caught repeatedly with no containment and the people at the tables around that woman including us, all left. She had that section of the restaurant to herself.

25. Nick, Toronto

Anderson – I took the subway here in Toronto for the first time in a while today and I echo your sentiment about the nervous and annoyed people on the subway cars when someone would cough or sneeze.Luckiy, there wasn't a lot of caughing and sneezing.

26. Lilnda M

Should all passenger in the air being wearing a mask?.....anyway?

27. Maureen T, Canada

I hear you Anderson, on the elevator the other day a women sneezed into her hands, pushed the floor she was going to and then she looked at my sheepishly! I just glared at her, what could I say?

28. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

I can see the problem poor who ever was coughing some times my throat gets dry i need drink of water so i start to have a tickjle in my throat needless to say they would throw me of the subway .This is creating paronia.

April 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Kelly

Being that the cases of the swine flu in the US are currently mild, would it be better to be exposed now and build immunity in case the virus becomes as deadly here as it is in Mexico?

April 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Krasi, Houston, TX

Serial killers, controversial Miss USA contestants, a criminal's fiance who doesn't want to let go – this is why I like news. Never lets you down.

April 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Wayne

Is there any professional opinion as to whether people who received the 1976 Swine Flu vaccine have any increased resistance to the current strain?

April 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  32. gill - north of 49

lol – in the non-tech category of question submissions , I think I'll take your 'carrier pigeon' over 'snail mail' Anderson.

April 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Isabel

@ Anderson Cooper

People are scared, very scared. Everyone always knew that the means of public transport are not the most hygienic, now then.

Please, when you reach your destination, don't forget to wash your hands, OK? lol ...

April 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  34. mike

swine flu has hit ft.myers florida in a elementary school.

April 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

Anderson,
    Love your comment about the carrier pidgeon. We were talking at work how funny it sounds for grown people to be talking about "tweeting" .... Ok, I broke down and logged into this twitter thing but think I am sticking with the blog.

Happy Thursday everyone...

April 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  36. cdelrioch

Swine flu (actually since today called influenza A H1N1 and not swine flu anymore) is different that seasonal flu en that it is the result of significant genetic recombination (the virus has parts of four different influenza viruses) and thus it is a new virus, one that the entire population of the world has never been exposed to.

April 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  37. andersoncnn

are you all watching erica's webcast.. ali is talking right now about his twitter war with ed henry.. ali even has a cool twitter nom de guerre

April 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  38. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

Anderson, is there any way i could send my question via telegraph?

April 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Corrina Ore City, Texas

Hello Anderson,
    Since the last time I blogged...Today we have been aformed here in east Texas that the New Diana school dist. has shut down cause of a student having the swine flu. I live in Ore City and New diana is 7 miles from us. I work in a grocery where everyone shops from around from the area. What can i do to protect myself against this flu... I am doing what I can such as using hand sanitizer and keeping the credit card terminal clean with clorox wipes.... The swine flu has now hit the East Texas area.

April 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Mike Faubert

airlines say they have lots of ventilation in cabins, not exactly true. There is no ventilation until engines power up. When you are boarding the planes the engines are not powered up. You can sit in the cabin for quite some time with all those people before they power up the engines

April 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  41. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

If you are in confined space such as elevators or planes or where there are crowds if you hold your breath adoes that decrease your chance of catching germs ?

April 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Miss J

i ride the subway at least once a day, and i can tell you there were a lot of nervous and annoyed people on my subway car today whenever someone would cough.

I know you have money to take a taxi.

April 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Katrina

Actually, VP Biden isn't completely wrong, and the expert quoted tonight isn't completely correct either. I have read in more than one place over hte past year or two, that our airplanes do NOT circulate the air as much as they are capable of, in order to save money. Therefore, we passengers ARE not getting as much fresh air as we could. Airlines..........would be good if you could step up to the plate right now, and give us more fresh air!

April 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  44. brent friedman

Carrier pidgeon! Hilarious

April 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  45. gayle mccauley Malden,Mass.

Do you also take questions in Morse code???

April 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

There is light at the end of the tunnel.

April 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Levonia Clark

Go Ali, You are the best, Love the way you break things down

April 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  48. David, Indiana

@Isabel, H1N1 or swine flu either one. I guess swine flu isn't as PC
    Also I agree we need precise diagnoses immediately to get out in advance of the outbreak and to know just what it takes to treat the cases that come up.

Randi Kaye's rept excellent, though I heard some airlines don't ventilate thoroughly. VP Biden gets a C on helping to avoid a public frenzy, and an A for painting a picture, not quite correct, but graphic

April 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  49. Deng Yuang

Hey AC360 and Dr. Gupta,
    I receive a new room mate from Mexico, but I feared to share the house with him as him infectious. Does twine flu attack people with O-blood group or just only other weaker goups? a myth, I don't know!!

April 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Ron G

Influenza A viruses are catergorized into subtypes based on the two major surface antigens: hemagglutinin (H) and neuraminidase (N). The hemagglutinin surface antigens help the influenza virus attach to cells in the body, while the neuraminidase surface antigens help the virus penetrate the cells. The spanish flu of 1918-1919 was also caused by a/H1N1 and was responsible for at least 30 miliion to 50 million deaths worldwide including at least 675,000 deaths in the United States. In 1957-1958 the "Asian flu" was casued by subtytpe A/H2N2 and was responsible for 70,000 deaths in the United States.
    hope this clears up how they derive the name of the virus...

April 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |