April 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/30/09

Tonight on AC360°, the swine flu flight risk.  Vice President Joe Biden took a lot of heat today for saying "I would tell members of my family - and I have - I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places right now.  It's not that it's going to Mexico.  It's you're in a confined aircraft. When one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft."  Is that true? Tonight, 360's Randi Kaye is Keeping them Honest.   She spoke with a doctor who studies germs and viruses like swine flu to find out how they spread in air travel.  Don't miss her report.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on germs in flight during the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Mary Barrett

Come on guys, cut the vice president a break. If I had the choice of flying on a plane versus taking another alternative transportation, I'd take the latter. The reality is your chances of picking up a virus in a more confined air space are higher than opposed to sitting in an unconfined space. – coming from a former Microbiologist

April 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Jacqueline, NY

Thank you for inviting us, Anderson.

3. Kristin (Buffalo, NY)

I'm flying to Chicago next week. My (mild) asthma and allergies are triggered by season changes (especially wild temperature shifts like those we've had recently), and I expect I'll cough or sneeze at least once on the flight...I'm not worried about contracting swine flu myself, but is there anything I can do to put my fellow passengers at ease? I know to cover my mouth when I cough/sneeze, of course...I just don't want to cause a panic!

4. starr formerly known as vincent

@ Lynn Hansen

Based on the symptoms you are describing and what my doctor told me today, you should probably be seen and tested by a doctor.

My doctor's office is meeting people in the office parking lot, testing them for A type flu and if positive they are treated and get results as to whether H1N1 virus.

Best wishes for your health

5. Samantha M.

i hope cnn keeps an updated map on which states h1n1 has spread to. other news networks haven't been keeping their updated and so many cases are unconfirmed.

6. Dee

airports make people sick as well as planes . ask most people who fly. I get sick in them and am always very healthy . the hepa filters that they say they use are not changed enough if ever...Biden was right.......remember the ebola scare people on the plane died...hence the book "EBOLA"
    the price for airplne gasoline goes up when yopu allow outside air into the plane maybe the resistance causes this. mandated hepa filter changes daily in airports plus planes, maybe hourly could stop this epidemic....???

7. andersoncnn

i ride the subway at least once a day, and i can tell you there were a lot of nervous and annoyed people on my subway car today whenever someone would cough.

8. mary ann

joe biden is drawing criticism for his comments on viruses and air travel. why, then was there such uproar over the case of the traveler on a commercial airline who had a possible case of TB? why was that such a concern, if viruses aren't that conateous on planes?

9. Jasmine-Spokane, WA

I have to say Joe is right. On a road trip last month to Seattle and one person got sick. Then on the way back to Spokane, everyone was sick. I got a 104 fever and I was in the middle of no where....

10. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

When does Anderson get the plane on Randi's days off? I thoght she lent it ot Jack Gray ?

11. Dodie from Irvine, CA

Where can I obtain Tamiflu. I am immune compromised and would like to have some on hand. I have called everywhere and no one has any except for one hospital and their supply is very limited. Everyone is back ordered.

12. Isabel

Ali Velshi,

I hope so!

I love economy despite not understanding much of it. I consider myself one curious who reads everything put in front about economy.

Thus, this is the first post I read, so optimistic.
    I only can to say: I hope so!

13. MarieAnne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

That is great news! Hope this gloomy recession scenario will end soon!

I cannot afford pay cuts and short work week anymore! 🙁

14. Kathy, Chicago

Well, I love my jeep, but I don't think that I will ever buy another Chrysler.

April 30, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Lauren--NY

Jonny–THANK you. I thought I was the only one who thought Rahm Emanuel is hot...

April 30, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Mary

Question for Dr. Gupta – If you had a trip planned to Disney World, would you still go?

April 30, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Danny

The Idea that you you don't have a higher chance of getting sick on a plane is just dumb! Would you rather have a person sneeze in you face from 1 foot away on an airplane, or from across a field at 100 yards? Distance = Safety. You stay away from people....you wont get sick. Duh!

April 30, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  18. andersoncnn

welcome everyone.. thanks for your questions... we're trying to get as many of them answered as we can.. i appreciate you taking the time to chat with us tonite.

April 30, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Lorena Garcia, KS

My sister in law just got here from Mexico. Her daughter has a runny nose and is sneezing. Should we worry or wait to get checked up first before we start to panic?

April 30, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  20. Isabel

Anderson Cooper and Ali Velshi,

The Chrysler bankruptcy highlights how difficult it is for General Motors finish its own agreements of restructuring with its shareholders and avoid the same fate as your competitor?

April 30, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  21. farah

Hi ac360/ is vitamin C or any other vitamin will help us to prevent and how many dose we need to take as parents , teen or kids.
    Thanks Farah from San Diego

April 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  22. Scott

Is H1N1 an airbone virus? Can it suspend in air?

April 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  23. Kay

They have been telling people to stay home and recover just like with the normal flu if possible, but isn't it important to document as many cases of H1N1 as possible, even if the case isn't severe, so that they have a better idea of just how many people have actually contracted it?

April 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Syed

Just wondering why the death rate from Swine flu is so high in Mexico compared to the US. Are all the strains genetically same around the world or different?

April 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Teresa, OH

Seems this swine flu is more confusing by the minute.

What a wonderful, diversified bunch of questions.

April 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  26. Mandy Pentler

I'm a student in New York about to graduate, and my parents are scared to come to my graduation now for fear of swine flu in the city. How can I assure them that everything will be ok?

April 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  27. Joshua Adam Schild

What is the best website to find what states and what cities the swine flu has reached? All the maps I can find don't show that there is an outbreak in Washington State. But, a few minutes ago you showed a map that said that there is a confirmed case in Washington. Where is the case in Washington? Is it near Seattle or Spokane?

April 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  28. Nick, Toronto

@Jean Meske – I've been wondering the same thing. I've been asking (for the last couple days) about what the chances are that the virus will mutate again and become a bigger concern. How likely is it that mutation will happen? And how quickly can that happen?

April 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hello Anderson
    and Erica

This flu is scary stuff riding on subway or flying see i knew flying was bad not only for plane crashes but now flu risk and germs .

April 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  30. Marcia, Warren MI

Ali thank you for explaining what this Chrysler Bankruptcy means and how it works. A lot of people see doom and gloom when they hear bankruptcy.

April 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  31. MarieAnne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

Why use the word 'bankruptcy'?-which is synonymous to closing shop! -- This is sad on the manufacturing sector!

April 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  32. Natalie

Why is there not anything about the five suspected cases in utah? they've even closed down schools over here but there's no mention of it on cnn.

April 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  33. arrie

you know, once people get this nasty bug and start dying in large numbers, everybody will be complaining.."why didnt they tell us", well listen , you take a risk and its all yours dont blame anyone else, if you just cant miss that flight or concert.

April 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  34. kathy-Birmingham, Alabama

Good Evening all AC 360 fans

Alabama has been hit in Huntsville with SF with school closings for at least 7 days. If we have nothing to worry about while is the level been raised to a 4

April 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Heather - Spokane, WA

Is it possible to have a slight case of H1N1? Ive had the same cold for two weeks and Im just now getting over it.

April 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Isabel

@ Erica Hill

The situation of the person getting hours and hours in a plane, with that cold air, it was unpleasant and uncomfortable even before the news of Randi Kaye.

Now it disturbing ... lol ...

April 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  37. jaelle

Can you clarify the difference in symptoms between the flu, and say allergies and the common cold. If you don't have a fever, chills, body aches, and a cough, do you have the flu?

April 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Cessy, Chicago

Hello and good evening everyone...

2 cases of swine flu at University of IL in Chicago Hospital...

April 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Jan

Just saw your piece on the comments by VP Biden regarding flying....however, wasn't there recently an incident with a person that flew with a diagnosis of tuberculosis? Isn't there a similar mode of transmission of disease?

April 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Mike in Fla

Anderson & Doc's:

Theory?... Is this thing appearing to be weakening in human-to-human
    transmission?... Seems like it.
    Other than the 2 yr old toddler in Texas - any other fatalities reported in countries other than Mex?....

April 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Lisa in Ohio

Anderson and team, thank you so much for your great reports on swine flu.

I have a question please...I am supposed to leave for Disney World on Sunday, I've become very nervous about going and am thinking of cancelling my trip. Am I over reacting? Please say yes!

April 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Mary

You are reporting all the documented, confirmed cases of swine flu. What about those who are sick, and won't or don't go to the doctor? What is the estimate on those cases? Surely, this must be accounted for in the calculations? Any estimated statistics?

April 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Krista - San Fran Bay Area

I am 8 months pregnant and live in the Bay Area. I usually take public transportation to get to work. Is this not a good idea right now?

April 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  44. gail

You know this nitpicking of what the VP said or rather tried to say is the reason a lot of us give the media low grades on their coverage. If it is so safe for you to be exposed to a sick person on a plane why when a person showing symptoms arrived in NC from Mexico they were immediately tested and other passengers warned of possible exposure. To make this a whole story is just ridiculous. The airlines in my opinion are more interested in making money than worrying about passengers health.

April 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Miss J

Joe Biden was right. All it takes is one person coughing and hacking all over the place for a number of people to get sick.

April 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  46. violet

swine flu is like any other flu except with this one you have to be more careful about
    right?
    sure
    i don't see why people are freaking out, sure its contagious . but really

April 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  47. sally

DR.. Gupta can you get the swine flu from handling raw infected pork? i dont trust the usdas word.

April 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Tim

Follow up question... Given the suspeceted low moratlity rate of this strain might it be better to get this virus now rather than later should a hybrid strain form in someone infected with both a typical seasonal flu and this new "swine flu"? Wouldn't someone exposed now have immunity to a potential future new strain?

April 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  49. starr formerly known as vincent

Poor Joe.....he did it again.

BUT, you have to wonder how much a pandemic will effect any economy if and when it finally happens. Will "the people" really be encouraged to "stay home" if it going adversely affect an already slow economy.

Just a thought.

April 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Greg, Austin Tx

I believe the report which says that flying in a plane full of swine flu viruses is relatively safe. However, I think I'd be a little reluctant to board such a craft unless I absolutely had to. Regardless of the air filtration facts, the whole thing seems so .. enclosed.

April 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |