April 30th, 2009

Do you have questions about the swine flu?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/HEALTH/04/30/swine.flu.outbreak/art.donuts.gi.jpg]

Submit your H1N1 (swine flu) questions for CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Dr. Carlos del Rio, Professor of Global Health at Emory University's Rollins School of Public Health. We'll give you answers tonight on AC360° at 10 p.m. ET.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Public Health
  1. Teresa, OH

Could the US people have been infected with the swine flu and merely thought they had "the flu"? Most flu bugs are not "tested" for strain.

If someone gets sick with the swine flu, how long are they contagious, how long do they stay quarantined?

Can someone be a carrier of the swine flu and NOT have the illness?

April 30, 2009 at 7:50 pm |
  2. Debbie-Kay

What is the difference between Tamiflu or Relenza and what should one do if they have medical allergies?

April 30, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  3. Phillip

From the onset of symptoms, how long will the average adult be ill before recovering to normal. (asuming no treatment besides drinking fuilds and bedrest)

April 30, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  4. Alicia

Is Mexico really reporting the accurate data on the deaths from this flu? They under-reported the deaths form the earthquake a few years back, so how can we trust their data now? Is there an outside agency verifying the reported numbers?

April 30, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  5. Gerald A.

Since H1N1 has already been spread around the world is their any benefit of not traveling to resort towns in Mexico?

April 30, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  6. Linda

I'm in the middle Georgia area and we now have 1 confirmed case of Swine Flu here. Back around 1974 or so I remember as a little girl in Fla. that the Swine Flu was around then. I remember my 60 year old neighbor and his wife questioning if the should go get the shot. The man did but his wife did not. Hours after getting the Swine Flu shot he got sick and later died. As a matter of fact quite a few of the elderly died as a result of the shot. From what I remember the Swine Flu disappeared as fast as it came. How safe would a vaccine be and would it be made from a different batch than that of the 1970's

April 30, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  7. Lynda Knezovich

Can one be a carrier of the virus, passing it on to others, without actually getting the disease themselves?

April 30, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  8. Ms. Nicole Rodovsky, Pullman, WA

Dear Dr. Gupta;

I've had the common Flu within the last 6 months, and was successfully treated for MRSA within the last couple of years, BUT the strain of MRSA I had was *extremely* resistant to many drugs and finally required a PICC line.

My questions are, does having had the Flu within the last few months weaken my immune system now, or am I at "full strength" yet? What PRECISELY constitutes a "weakened immune system" and WHY? Furthermore, is it plausible for MRSA to acquire genetic material from H1N1 and become even stronger, or vice versa, and why or why not?

As an aside, why do you think the Media (in general) failing to explain that the REASON people need to wash their hands is our natural tendencies to unconciously touch our eyes/nose/mouths, and thus hand washing stops bugs in their tracks?

April 30, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  9. Stephanie Sanchez

1) Why are people being told to cover their sneeze without the clarification of turning away from people, preferably into a corner, and sneezing into a tissue, their elbow, or anything except their bare hands? Sneezing into your hands puts a high concentration of virus particles on those hands that then gets transfered to the next several elevator buttons, door handles, rails, faucets etc. that one touches.

2) How many samples can the CDC test each day, and roughly how many samples are they getting each day? What's the turnaround, and why is the Orlando case taking so long to get results on? I understand that the states are being provided the capability to test, but in these early days I'm very curious to hear and understand the numbers, suspected, probable, confirmed and all, as they happen.

April 30, 2009 at 7:28 pm |
  10. Sandi k

I am on methotrexate and humira for RA. I am already very careful about washing my hands and avoiding large gatherings. How much more should I avoid public places? Thanks.

April 30, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  11. Ivory Taelor

If we do get control of the swine flu, is it possible for the swine flu to be 100% gone after the last remaining person gets over it?

April 30, 2009 at 7:26 pm |
  12. Marla Bentley

I don't have a direct question however, I am getting such conflicting information. Can you tell me in laymen's terms what the real dangers are and how can we protect ourselves. People around here are starting to panic saying that if you get it you will certainly die. There is just too much information floating around. We need simple direct information.

Thank you it's a pleasure being able to read your blog.

Thanks again!
    Marla Bentley

April 30, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  13. Julianne

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop referring to influenza A (H1N1) as "swine flu" . It is socially irresponsible to be using this term when there is already a swine flu (H3N1) and people may become confused seeing as you have never made the differentiation between the two.

April 30, 2009 at 7:25 pm |
  14. Lisa D

What is happening to the tourists that are still in Mexico? Are they able to just leave without a medical exam ? I work with someone whose son is still there on holidays. I am concerned.

April 30, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  15. Jaime C.

Hello I want to know what can people do who think they might be getting sick but do not have medical insurance. Going to the doctor is expensive for those without insurance and they might not go because they can't afford it or they might not have the swine flu but the regular flu. I believe these are the type of people that are going to greatly spread the disease since they do not know they have it and can't afford to stay at home.

April 30, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  16. Nicole

If schools are doing a thorough cleaning at the time of closure (due to a child being tested positive for Swine Flu) why aren't schools being proactive and doing a "wipe-down" before a child catches the Swine Flu?

April 30, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  17. Edith

What is going on with central and south America in relation to the flu? I haven't heard anything about the rest of the continent.

April 30, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  18. Steve Wheeler

Isn’t this media frenzy increasing the number of “TV to HUMAN” transmissions of swine flu- thereby threatening patient safety and patient flow in busy Emergency Rooms nation wide?

April 30, 2009 at 7:21 pm |
  19. @jennig42

my friend will be flying to Tennessee at the end of May does she need to take precautions to avoid getting the swine flu?

April 30, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  20. Bill Dreibelbis

The media needs to stop sensationalizing everything they cover! People die from the flu every year. The cdc said that it is so far a mild flu and they have the medicine to treat the flu. Our vice president made a stupid statement today. Lou Dobbs today was saying that the public was not panicking, thank god, while the headline on the screen said "DEADLY OUTBREAK" Wake up. I'm sending this to Anderson Cooper because he is the most responsible of all the t.v. newsmen.

April 30, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  21. Zina Zarin Rosenblum

I am sittng next to a sick person on a fllght from NY to Fl. Will my flu shot protect me?

April 30, 2009 at 7:18 pm |
  22. theresa

y is it that every five years or so a new germ or disease come into the public. how come medical science haven't found away to control new diseases or germs. how came medical science haven't found away to cure the old disease or germs yet. i really think that the medical field has been practicing a little to long on how to prevent diseases or germ from reoccureing. and they still haven't found cures.

April 30, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  23. Pamina in New Rochelle

Do the surgical masks really protect a person from catching the flu?

April 30, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  24. Michelle

Is it passed through birds? I saw a few dead birds laying around where i jog?

April 30, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  25. most_unfollowed

Swine flu is a marketing project for two global corps Glaxo & Roche.

They happen to have good medicals for that strain.

35000 people die from flu in USA yearly.

That is about 90 a day.

Any questions

April 30, 2009 at 7:08 pm |
  26. veronica delgado

If this pandemic mimics that of 1918 when a mild virus hit in the spring and a second more virulant wave of virus returned in the fall, wouldnt it be better to be exposed to the earlier outbreak to build immunity to the more virulant strain?

April 30, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  27. Veronica

is it that the virus was created by humans and put in an airport where people from different countries transit without the worries of an "attack"?
    why did people got sick with a virus coming from "porks" in a city?
    for the magnitude of the problem, should there be cases somewhere than just Mexico City?
    why don't you mention that there are some cases that are not connected to Mexico??
    how is that people where coming back from cancun got the virus if there are no cases have been confimed in cancun?? they must have stopped at the airport, right??
    what is the relationship between the pharmaceutical companies and the productions of sources to "cure" us from this virus since they were supposed to give money to support the economy of some countries?

can anyone answer this questions for me?

April 30, 2009 at 7:06 pm |
  28. anas

did the swine flu somewhere around pennsylvania

April 30, 2009 at 7:05 pm |
  29. Leesi

One topic I’ve not heard addressed is whether H1N1 is communicable between animal species and then to humans. For instance, could a dog contract it at the neighbor’s pig farm and then carry it home to its owners? I realize this sounds implausible, but I am curious.

April 30, 2009 at 7:05 pm |
  30. Jennifer

I live in Hawaii, but want to make a trip back to Calif soon,
    will I be making a big mistake, or is it better I go now and
    not later ?

April 30, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  31. Ron San Bruno, Ca

Can a mosquito carry swine flu virus?

April 30, 2009 at 7:03 pm |
  32. Susan Donahue

The high school in Queens had 125 students that were ill and yet the total confirmed cases for New York State are 50. How can we get meaningful data?

April 30, 2009 at 7:01 pm |
  33. Lisa C

The same thing now happened in 1976, and more people died from complications from the vaccines than from the flu... what is the world going to do after seeing what happened the last time?

April 30, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  34. Quentin Wallace

I've been focused on finals, but exactly how did the swine flu erupt?

April 30, 2009 at 6:57 pm |
  35. Tracey Smith

Being that the H1N1 flu is a virus would it be at all helpful to "stock up" so to speak by taking extra Vitamin C or echinacea or drinking products like the Emergen-C supplement to help boost your immunity?

I know these things are suggested for the common cold, just curious if they are at all effective in this type of outbreak.

April 30, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  36. Jill

Why isn't the media talking about the people who are getting better. They only talk about the bad, so I guess my question is – – How many people out in the world that have it, but have gotten better or is getting better?

April 30, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  37. C-le-britty

Does using Purell or other antibacterial hand washes really work? Have heavy users of those products already made themselves weaker?

April 30, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  38. Nancy C.

Could one reason that the flu cases in the US have been so much milder than in Mexico be because so many of us have been vaccinated multiple times against other strains of flu, perhaps affording us some measure of immunity? And some of us are even old enough to have been vaccinated against swine flu in 1976, does that offer any type of immunity now?

April 30, 2009 at 6:56 pm |
  39. Susan Max

Why are people from Canada and the U.S. still travelling to Mexico and running the risk of bringing back more than a tan? With all the press and travel agencies refunding trips what is the problem with these people not only putting themselves at risk, but the rest of the U.S. and Canada.....................isn't it about time there was a complete ban on non-essential travel to and from Mexico? It is only getting worse, and there are more and more cases popping up not in Canada but the U.S.

When is the health community going to close these borders, until the problem is sorted out?

Thanks

April 30, 2009 at 6:55 pm |
  40. Lynn

What can we as a family or individual do other than hand washing and staying in when sick. Should we have an emergency preparedness kit? If so, what should this contain?

April 30, 2009 at 6:55 pm |
  41. Sherry

Should we be doing somthing else other than what is being put out there, ex washing the hands, covering your mouth when you sneeze, etc.? Is it serious or isn't it?

April 30, 2009 at 6:54 pm |
  42. Jeff

What are your chances of dying from the swine flu compared to dying with normal influenza?

April 30, 2009 at 6:53 pm |
  43. Lani

I am 18 weeks pregnant and I am scheduled to go on a cruise next weekend. Although it is not stopping in Mexico, should I be concerned about being near so many other people for 7 days? Should I cancel my cruise because of the risk of the swine flu? Also...do pregnant women receive the same treatment for the swine flu as others?

Thanks!

April 30, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  44. Amy V

Re swine flu: Should we worry that the virus can be transmitted via clothing or other surfaces?

April 30, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  45. Becky Solorzano

I've heard that H1N1 is lab created, that this mix of Swine/Avian/Human genes wouldn't occur in nature. Can that be true?

And did the initial outbreak in Mexico correspond to President Obama's meeting in Mexico earlier this month?

April 30, 2009 at 6:44 pm |
  46. Pamela Graves

It is my understanding a virus, being a non-living oragnism is difficult to destroy, due to its ability to mutate, as well as its ability to continue to linger and house itself. I would like to know how these schools, airports, etc. are expecting to be able to kill this non-living H1N1 virus.

April 30, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  47. Dee, New York

Does getting a mild case of H1N1 flu confer immunity to it in the future?

April 30, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  48. Lilibeth

What if you were riding in a bus, someone sneezed on you but didn’t cover his mouth, and you had another half hour before you could get off the bus and wash yourself? Will you get his germs?

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

April 30, 2009 at 6:37 pm |
  49. Annie Kate

Last night it was said on 360 that the flu would die down in the summer and then strike again in the fall. If the flu is contained now with measures like Mexico closing down for a week is that prediction still valid? If so, how large do epidemiologists predict the outbreak will be?

April 30, 2009 at 6:35 pm |
  50. Lilibeth

What if someone has swine flu, but has developed a resistance to Tamiflu or Relenza? What should this person do?

Lilibeth