April 29th, 2009

Swine Flu patient zero?

CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta tracks down a Mexican child who may be patient zero in the swine flu epidemic.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Dr. Sanjay Gupta • Public Health
  1. Isabel Siaba

To my surprise (I confess), I think that the press is not exaggerating, nor is spreading the panic; it is fulfilling its duty.

The more information we can have something so new and unknown, the better!

Thanks, Dr. Gupta.

April 29, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  2. Art Lackner

In the United States, you could fit all known individuals with Swine Flu on a bus, and still have seats to spare. Yet media coverage would have us believe that the Black Death is upon us. I guess the scare tactics are a ratings booster, but come on. Enough already.

April 29, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  3. Fred Cassidy

going to Mexico the chase the first flu victim or barging into hospitals illigally is do a show segment is wrong. You demonstrated that you will violate the law to get your face on TV and the whole anderson 360 show was terrible because of the Mexico segment. Please some adult common sense in the future.

April 29, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  4. Kalee Carlson

I just heard that there is a possible case Minnesota. In Cold Spring about 60 miles north of the twin cities.

April 29, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  5. enea

it's true, a virus can go from a simple keyboard to a person by contact with that item, for instance. antibacterials can help and washing hands, as the doctor says. it sounds so simple, but it can save many lives!!

April 29, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  6. Claudia Canfield

How you can say this child is patient zero? what are the way that take you to this child i will like to know, thank you

April 29, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  7. Trenton

I am happy that you all mentioned the factory farm from which the villagers suspect the swine flu may have come. However, the corporate farm expressed that their pigs are all vaccinated, but could vaccinating these animals and giving them so many antibiotics cause the virus to mutate and form immunity to current vaccines?

If this is true, could factory farms themselves be breeding super-viruses? I know that this is a heavy statement, but I have not noticed anyone else making light of the possibility.

April 29, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  8. Laura Conley

The media is taking this way out of proportion. After all, more people die DAILY from AIDS in the world than with the swine flu thus far. AIDS is your real pandemic. The media is scaring people. Over 35,000 die each year from the flu that we can vaccinate against. People just need to learn how to care for themselves and keep clean. In this global world we live in many diseases each day are passed from person to person, country to country. Lets keep it in prospective, please.

April 29, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  9. Hartmut Rast

I am really very sorry about the suffering and pain by all the people who are involved in the swine flu epidemic. However, I have absolutly no understanding for the increasing media hype which is lacking responsibility about the up-coming panic in our society and in my view once again only focussed on sales figures.

April 29, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  10. Clara Smith

can you catch the virus if you work with some one who just came back from mexico but that person works on a different shift???

April 29, 2009 at 10:36 am |