April 28th, 2009

Sound Off: Your comments 4/27/09

Editor's Note: As fears, questions and theories emerged around the major outbreak of swine flu our AC360° viewers had much to say (and much to ask) about this topic. Here are some of your thoughts and questions, and we hope to hear from more of you be sure to check out the continuous updates from on this story here. CNN will bring you the latest and best information.

I wonder if this "sudden outbreak" of Swine flu is just a distraction from the drug cartels in Mexico. It's pretty funny that there has been no mention of the War on Drugs, since the "outbreak."

I have the swine flu, just received the phone call a few hours ago. I am in Victoria, BC Canada. i was told by the hospital in Cancun I did not have it. I was told by the hospital in Victoria BC I did not have it. So I was sent home. Now a day and a half later they call me to tell me I have it!

Please ask Janet Napolitino to remind people to "cough into their sleeve" not "cover your mouth" as she suggested on your show today. Covering your mouth when you cough transfers germs on to your hand, this keeps germs alive and passes them on to everything your hand touches.

I've just recently spoken to my aunt in Mexico and she thinks the government from Mexico City is responsible for what is happening with this infectious disease. She says, just a few weeks ago they shut off all water resources causing not thousands, but millions of people without water supply and with this virus spreading from person to person you can imagine how people couldn't been able to keep themselves clean and protected from the virus. Therefore, Mexico City’s government is responsible for this issue but because they chose not to say anything about it whatsoever to the community.

My mother had a kidney transplant 10 months ago and is planning to travel to Europe this weekend all by herself. I am afraid she will be at high risk at the airport as well as in the plane, since her immune system is suppressed. Do you recommend such high-risk people not to travel at these times?

I work in a hospital and it is concerning me to see the people walk around with the masks only covering their mouth. That is a waste of a mask. what are people thinking?? Can you mention this on your show and tell people to wear the mask correctly?

Why is there little or no conjecture about whether immunity, full or partial, is conferred by having gotten a flu shot last fall. Do Mexicans have access to flu vaccine, and what % of the population has been vaccinated?

I live in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Should I get a Tamiflu shot? Any other facts I should know?

How long will the swine flu virus survive on a surface? Are all surfaces equal or will some surfaces sustain the virus for a longer time.

I work as a flight attendant for a major airline that travels all over the world. Not much is being said regarding flight crews and protecting them from being exposed by passengers that have been exposed to the swine flu.

Filed under: Behind The Scenes
  1. Jamie

Why are most people calling this flu virus a new strain? I thought it was the old Spanish flu strain H1N1 virus?

April 29, 2009 at 1:14 am |
  2. Andrew

President Obama, Democrats & Republicans…

As an example of bipartisanship — The American People will compromise too…
    Combine Medicare and Medicade with Universal Healthcare.
    Offer it to all Americans. They can choose any doctor they wish to.
    Charge a standard copay upon visit and for also for Rx.
    Do this at the state level using valid state issued identification (i.e. state id or drivers license but NOT with federal health cards). Allow the states to run these programs but utilize a standardized system.

KEEP YOUR TAX CREDITS AND GIVE US HEALTH CARE

Just how many people actually get to use these TAX CREDITS that file with a 1040EZ form? Not a whole lot. We dont want or need all of these tax credits.

April 28, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  3. Juanita

How long will it take before we know this is under control? Last night it was said 7 days, is this true? So is the CDC working on something the nutralize this and how long will it take?

April 28, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  4. Juanita

April 28, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  5. Suzanne

I agree, that this may be some kind of government conspiracy. Why are people dying in Mexico and not the US even though they have the same disease? I don't get it. I think this will not turn into a pandemic, it will just go away.

April 28, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  6. Jackie Gallant

I was very disturbed by the coverage CNN had last night of the swine flu problems. Your job is to inform with accurate information not spread fear and rumors. Last night I watched CNN and noticed that you were reporting that 6 Canadians had been confirmed dead from swine flu. Some of those Canadians were high school students and I can only imagine how their families would feel seeing that reported on the news. In fact they had a mild case and are not dead. You went on to say that the Americans that were ill had all recovered, but the Canadians had died. This is ridiculous. I have to wonder if most of what you report is wrong.
    Before we paint the globe with this "pandemic" lets wait for the science to tell us if the same strain is responsible for the illness in all the cases appearing around the world.
    The connections that you are making to pigs is also inaccurate. This virus also contains genetic material from birds and humans. It no longer has any connection to pigs. It is a human virus and your comments could destroy the swine industry. Consider that perhaps it was humans that gave it to the pigs because this can also happen.
    Science has the tools to figure this out and tell us the whole story so lets wait for the data.

April 28, 2009 at 11:20 am |
  7. Lori

a person needs to carry Hand sanitizer, in case water is not availalable for washing. However, as soon as your are able to , you need to Wash your Hands. Hand sanitizer is not a substitute for soap, it is only helpful when soap is not available. . And, studies show most people do not know how to correctly wash their hands . If you ask a child they will show you, you decide if its proper washing or not. Watch people in public restrooms, at work, ive seen people use only water, i thought the soap was gone, it was'nt.
    We all need to carry Kleenex, and have handy for use. When a person sneezes and does not cover their mouth, people withinin several feet range can catch what the person has if it is airborne disease. Plus , for all uf us who travel, or just go to the store, its commom sense to carry these two little, but Very Important Items! And Use Them:) Kleenex & Hand Sanitizer come in small sizes.
    My prayers are with all the families and people affected, and the great number of Health Professionals, and Reporters who are very close to this infectious disease. Thank you Anderson for all you do in giving us these reports, especially on Planet In Parel, with a thank you also to Dr. Sanjay Gupta & Lisa Ling, and the camera crew. Sincerely, Lori

April 28, 2009 at 11:12 am |
  8. Cecile Ingram

Hi Anderson....get the facts straight for Canada we have only 6 mild confirm cases of the swine flu.... 2 in the province of Nova Scotia and 4 out west in British Colombia ..NO DEATHS.

Last nite I watched you as always and the bottom line under the pictures stated 8 deaths in Canada and 1 in Spain and then 6 deaths in Canada by the end of the program. If you don't want to panic people as you stated at the beginnng ...GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT!!!

Thanks Always enjoy your show Cutie.....

April 28, 2009 at 11:00 am |
  9. Onne

Last night AC said he wanted to give us the facts on this outbreak and not cause and panic... and then there Gupta screaming it's CHAOS at this hospital in Mexico City!
    What's up with that? You ALL ought to calm down and stick to reporting facts...

April 28, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  10. penny

Anderson,
    "Giving the President an "F". That is ridiculous. He has a suggestion box , give your ideas instead of the gift that keeps on giving instead of lip service. Talk is cheap like the media, display action to help with ideas for the learning curve. I say learning curve because their are not any books to teach it. The GOP or GoPout talks about money spent. Why don't they Show the learning curve of spending money instead of tax double talk. They could teach the academic logic on how it is done instead of ideology. Are they so mean that they do not want to see PRES OBAMA succeed. It would appear they would be tired of that becz it puts them back on the short bus again. Explain their ideas or share them in laman terms of understanding or give the
    learning curve for understanding. The Gop reduce the budget for slow learning curve people. I guess it falls along the biblical prophesy judge not, so ye will not be judged", because they are on the slow learning curve for progress"

April 28, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  11. Michelle - St Augustine, FL

How about giving the people in mexico the right masks the blue ones they are wearing dont work you need the N95 mask to make what little difference it will now

April 28, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  12. enea

the questions are all valid ones. if we could all take a vaccine shot; the problem would no longer exist and the media would quiet down. Obviously the World Health Organization and other agencies are scaring us off so that they can contain this virus. If they told everyone it would be okay to travel, then everyone would. By scaring people they can hopefully contain this nasty virus to certain regions and hopefully it will run its course on those affected and no more.

April 28, 2009 at 10:36 am |
  13. JC Hazell

Watching CNN yesterday during the swine flu I was extremely shocked and disappointed to find that one of the captions at the bottom of the screen read that there had been 6 deaths in Canada and 1 in Spain. This is extremely inaccurate. The reality of the situation is that there have been 6 confirmed cases in Canada – all of which have been very mild and have not required hospitalization at all. From what I understand this is the same for the case in Spain as well.

CNN's erroneous reporting on this matter is quite disturbing considering the magnitude of the error and that people may change travel or investment plans based off of news that is reported by it.

I hope and pray that CNN does a better job at fact checking on this matter moving forward as the public does not need to be fed false information that could lead to panic.

April 28, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  14. lou jones

It would nice if we could get an actual report on the disease known as "swine flu."

April 28, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  15. lou jones

What's funny is all the americans complaining about the mexican crossing the boarder, they never talk about the americans that hide in Mexico. Makes me wonder if "swine flu" actually started in Mexico?

April 28, 2009 at 10:17 am |
  16. Rodney W

I this this is such good information. Thank you for allowing her story. I am in Florida and there are no reports here "yet" but we shall see.

April 28, 2009 at 10:10 am |
  17. Bonnie Salt

I'm a travel agent whose clinet, a student, was doing a semester in Moterrey, MX. She was supposed to return to Boston on 13 May but last weekend her school closed because of the flu so her father called to change her return to this Wed, Apr 29. American Airlines told the media they would change MX reservation for no charge-but this is not so. The date criterion travel Apr 25-6 May. I begged them to make an exception-that this student was in obvious need of returning early since the school had shut down. WELL-AA shut me down with a 'no exceptions.'
    Sometimes there has to be a human who THINKS outside of the rules. Short sighted in my professional opinion-what's your opinion?
    I've offered, many times, to give advice to any airline exec who'd listen to what my opinion is on why they are going bankrupt-AGAIN. The pandemic to be is going to be another excuse-just watch. Bailout here they come!

April 28, 2009 at 10:05 am |
  18. A Lazzarin

Will not be leaving a comment...you never publish them...never have I been inappropriate...my opinions, may differ, but I thought Journalism was to report all points of view.

My sister, now retired, got her Masters from the Columbia Univ. School of Journalism...we are both appalled at what they call investigative reporting today. Sad.

April 28, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  19. abc ~ anything but california hugh

I'd like to know if health experts have any idea how long the public will have to wait until the first vaccine against the swine flu is readily available, especially for those living in ares where people are already infected?

April 28, 2009 at 10:04 am |