April 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/28/09

Here's your chance to comment on tonight's show. Discuss the swine flu outbreak, Sen. Arlen Spector's party switch, and more with Anderson, Erica Hill, and the AC360° staff.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on this (or change this sentence if needed) the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Gabby

Mr. Cooper,

If this would end up on a pandemic alert, what are the possibilities for the borders to get closed?
    This flu is already affecting not only health but the economy too, if this would be the outcome, what measures are being consider?

April 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  2. kai Hayes

We are heading to Cancun Mexico for a family vacation in by the end of July, our flight and hotel reservation is fully booked. Should we cancel? Would hotels and flights give us a refund due to this pandemic flu? Please advise. Thank you.

April 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  3. adis - florida

@Dr.Gupta
    i had the flu 3 weeks ago, i felt horrible and other stuff whatnot, i've heard that swine flu symptoms are the same as the normal flu,so would that mean i would get the same feeling?

April 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Huda

Hello! Ive bin watching the news since yesterday, swine flu sounds horrible! Although good job on updating us about it Anderson and Gupta too. Has the swine flu by any chance reached south asia?

April 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Patrice Palmer

@Phyllis – Way to go! I haven't voted Republican for years for the same reason. When people and human rights, rather than one religion, greed and profits, come first, i may take another look.

April 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  6. Miss J

@David Gergen…With Arlen Specter so established in his career, why wouldnt he just change to Independent? I would much rather have seen that happen.

He couldn't lose a primary and then switch to independent. The laws in Pennsylvania make it impossible for him to do that.

April 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  7. Rose

I think all schools in the United state should be closed until this is under control so as to not keep the spread going on concered mum

April 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  8. Mary from Michigan

If you’re sick…Stay Home. The only way to stop the spread of the flu is to contain Yourself if you are sick. It's here in the US and will get worse. People will most likely continue to go to work if they are sick…and infect numerous people throughout the day x10×10×10…

The government should reimburse a person for doing the Responsible thing by staying home from work if they are sick. The money in an emergency fund should go towards encouraging those infected to contain themselves and limit their exposure to others. Paying someone to stay home from work would be an effective incentive and would contain the spread of the virus.

April 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  9. silvia

gee, if I studied for 3 months and received the highest grade, I would want the job that I earned and I would not want it denied to me just because I am white. all firefighters, no doubt, received the same study materials or were given a chance to develop them, if they cared to do the work. these are not simple tests; they are long and difficult and the material expands annually as the hazards faced by first responders grows.

I also want the firefighter with the highest grade to be in charge if there is an emergency at my house, regardless of his/her race.

How much longer do we have to put up with this reverse discrimination? what's wrong with an objective criteria for recognizing excellence and promoting civil servants? Reverse discrimination is just as wrong as outright discrimination against any race. It is still true that "two wrongs don't make a right."

April 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  10. -Nioshii-

Spectre's party switch wasn't a shock to me b/c Mark Nicholas at Political Base has been blogging about the possibility for several weeks, maybe months.

Doesn't mean I'm not excited, though! Great '99th day' gift for our president and for those of us who want to see progress instead of being mired in the past, -N-

April 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  11. John from Chicago

Regarding the firefighter promotion supreme court case. If a fire dispatcher can provide a recording from a citizen stating " my house is on fire, send me a fire crew that represents the racial demographic of my city/town" then maybe municipalities are correct in allowing race and politics to guide their promotional policies. But until that day comes perhaps only the most qualified and highest scoring aplicants should be promoted to positions where life and death decisions are made evry day.

April 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  12. swine flu

How different is the swine flu from Guillain-Barre Lindry Sundrome, as I was diagnosed in 1971, but survived. It has the similar symptoms which caused a near death for me. Respiratory and shut down of the nervous system with paralysis.

April 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  13. Flu Tourist

I'm currently visiting southern California (from Canada). I was very ill for a few days with the flu, but now I'm better. If I go to the Dr., will they be able to tell what I HAD? Should I care?

April 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  14. Jessie

If all schools shut down from this virus should we all stay inside? And if so how would we live?

April 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  15. Rebekah

there was a group of seniors at my school who went to Mexico a little bit ago and there were a couple kids who weren't feeling good today. so that brings me to my question:

How long has the Swine Flu been actively infecting people? A week? Two weeks? A month?

April 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  16. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I always get sick when I go to Mexico but it's worth it. How will I know the difference between swine flu and well, you know Monteauma's

April 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Jessica

Is the Swine Flu a sign of the "End Times"?

April 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Nour Rizk

Should all US counties enforce students in public schools to wear masks so the disease won't spread ?

April 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Tony Benton

Re Reverse discrimation
    What ever happen to the best man for the job, regardless of colour or race?

April 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Pat

I was wondering if anyone has any idea if the swine flu vaccine that was given in the late 70's would have any effect on a persons immune system 30 plus years later? I was one of hundreds that were given the vaccine in masses, even here in tiny little Danville KY when the President said everyone should be vaccinated.

April 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Patrick Brown

I for one believe that the promotion should be given to those who scored the highest, however it doesn't feel right to be discriminated against because of your race now does it.

22. Mila

New Haven Fire Fighters,

Kudos to you. I support your struggle for justice. The city of New Haven has clearly discriminated against you for political reasons and it's your moral obligation to fight for your rights. Since when discriminating against whites has become the policy of United States justice system?

Mila,
    San Francisco

23. gregory

Should I take tamiflu now before symptoms? Should I get a flu shot now?

24. Jean

By any chance would the areas of North Carolina, South Carolina where there are pig farms, be affected or be part of the Swine Flu? In Southern Ontario there are numerous pig farms also, can they be affected?

25. daniel kelly

Im a flight attendant and i do a couple flight a day.how often do you recommend changing surgical masks

26. Stephen

i am hiv positive. i have a healthy immune system am i more at risk then a hiv negative person. Am i at risk of death from swine flu?

27. donald sapletal

Being an out of work carpenter, I think those fireman should quit complaining and just be greatful they have a job.

28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Anderson, Erica, David G, and my friend twitter/Facebook bloggers!!!

That’s so awful to hear about Swine flu……

I have heard, My question for Dr. Gupta, I wonder is there cure for people to protect swine flu? or how can I help to advice tell people to take care people protect swine flu?

29. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Mr. Gergen, Even though I tend to associate with the Democratic party, the idea of the filibuster proof super majority leaves me a bit leery...

30. Janine from PA.

It would foolish for PA to vote Sen. Spector out as he has more clout then a newly elected senator would have.

31. Isabel Siaba

@ David, Indiana

It is difficult to avoid the flu, but we must maintain the conditions of hygiene, take care for the food, keep the house and clean clothes, et al

32. Mike

Many wonder why so many died early in Mexico. No one seems to have asked an anthropologist. In many areas of Mexico, people are reluctant to go to doctors or to anyone of governmental authority. (In small towns doctors are often med students sent out for practice). Many people are also desperately poor. I had to rush a young girl to a hospital because she had a temp of 104+ for 4 days. She had Scarlet Fever and would have died later that day.
    The parents said they didn't have any money.
    Fear of authority, poverty, difficulty getting transport are some reasons. Thankfully, the mother of Patient 0 in La Gloria, VC did go to the doctor.

33. George

Race has no place in the workforce. Quotas are just another form of racism enforced by the government. We need to take a step back and realize that we need people qualified and capable of doing a job fast, efficient and with minimal liability.

I have a high school education, make 6 figures a year and as a business owner, I can say first hand we need to get back to promoting people based upon what they contribute to the success of group and not based upon some quota that hurts everyone.

The government doesn't make it happen, and the more we depend upon them to "give us something" the more we're all going to lose more than that the little bit we ever thought we got.

34. erin kenly

We got married on saturday and cancled our honeymoon to Cabo on monday. The hotels and airlines were very helpful in getting us our money back.

35. Dallas

Obama should shut the boarder down and leave everyone thats effective in mexico until we find the cure.

36. Teresa in Virginia Beach

Is there anyone highly guarding our borders.?We have a lot of illegal immigrants entering into the country from Mexico. How do we know who is infected with SwineFlu?

37. Rose

Hi Anderson , my question is since they haven't been able to find out yet if this is a person to person flu why is it that they haven't decided to close all schools until they to have the answers I'am concered about my son who is going to return to school on Monday May 2nd even though we haven;t travaled anywhere what about all the kids that have that my son will come in contact with when he goes back on Monday we live in New Hampshire and havent had any cases here yet concered mum thanks

38. Tim Lully

Lets get real about this flu. A WHO level 6 means that a virus crosses international boarders. When will the WHO make that anouncement. The CDC, current Administration, Media and FEMA has not reacted to this quick enough and now they will never be able to keep up with it.

39. Sherry, N. Calif.

@Tony C
    I think they are not giving it out unless you have the virus. Taking it to be just taking it is not good. Then if you get it, then it will not be effective. Tamflu is not a cure from what I understand.

40. Carol B. in MD

Good evening. Now that this flu keeps on giving, could Dr. Gupta answer whether there will be any research to develop vaccines to this and other illnesses that were a threat to people during the course of history. Sometimes, history does repeat itself.

41. Rich

Thank you Mr. Gergen for your service to our country. Hopefully with Senator Spectors switch we can begin withdrawing from Iraq where several GOP seats were lost in 2006 over the Bush administration's handling of the war there.

Once we can have Iraqiis take responsiblity for their own security and government the more we can use those resources at home and regroup our military that is stretched to thin.

42. bobcruzer

What could be a sane reason on why the air force one flew over ground zero. Who is running the Country? Obama sould know what goes on at all times.

43. Jenn

I'm curious as to why the biggest outbreak in the US is in New York versus in the states closer to the Mexico border. Any insight as to why the majority of the outbreaks are so far away from the supposed source?

44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Isn't it possible that there are so many cases now because this is a new virus and that over time humans will build up an immunity to it?

45. Norma Frocklage

Doe's weather play a factor in containment of swine flu? Is it less likely that fatalities will occur in cooler climates?

46. Diana

I have to pick up my folks from the airport (Chicago/O'Hare) tomorrow morning. Should I take any percautions when I pick them up at the gate?

47. jeff c

It is about time to get off the whole equal rights thing, it is time to fnaly allow the person that is best suited for the promotion to be promotied, not promited cause you are black, mexican, or any other race.... Im just over hearing about equality and how we need to employ a minimum of each race, im ready to see my country and the may employers in it finaly just promote because u deserve it, not because they will get sued if they don't prmote the underqualified for race........ Times have changed, affirmitive action is outdated and no longer works the way it was designed to..

48. Graham

How long do you think it will take for the swine flu to be in about 25 Countries?

49. Brandi - bottom of the boot

@esma, the masks are probably N95, which would be sufficient to stop the spread of the various influenza viruses, if im not mistaken. 🙂

50. Vernie

Anderson, Has the "Swine Flu" been around and out-breaking longer than actually noticed? I say close the borders. When are we are going to get smart?The states contiue to open-up our doors to attacks. When are we going to get smart and protect our own.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12