April 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/28/09

Here's your chance to comment on tonight's show. Discuss the swine flu outbreak, Sen. Arlen Spector's party switch, and more with Anderson, Erica Hill, and the AC360° staff.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on this (or change this sentence if needed) the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Todd

If I think I have swine flu, do I go to the doctor, stay home and do I need take medication?

April 28, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  2. bryant valdez

hey. i have a light fever and my head hearts, does that means i have the flu?

April 28, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Patricia Ziegler

The firefighter story goes deeper than test scores. Need to get someone who understands testing and affirmative action to give a cogent explanation of why the courts have supported the city. I have worked in HR for 30+ years and the white folks ( and I am white) don't need to worry.......they are doing ok.

April 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Samantha M.

I wonder what level it will take before borders are closed, including Hawaii. Hopefully it doesn't last long because of the toll this flu will take on the already suffering Mexico and Hawaii economy.

April 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Jane, PA

What is the difference between a mild case of swine flu and a serious case? How sick should you be before deciding to go to a hospital?

April 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Nick, Toronto

What are the chances of the virus mutating again? It is already a combination of a bunch of different flu viruses it seems very adapt at combining with other viruses. Is that concerning to officials?

April 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  7. Cessy, Chicago

good evening everyone...

It is scary when we really dont know when this swine flu is going to last. Just like I'm still trying to learn more about how this all started. I work in a hospital setting and a memo went out indicating how we can prevent the spread. It was useful information but then again, we still dont know how this will stop...

We just need to continue to follow protocols like washing our hands, etc. and keep pur eyes open but not panic.

April 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Lev Guzman, Texcoco Mexico

Hi all. Is Dr. Gupta going to visit Oaxaca city in south mexico to explore a little bit more about the first mortal confirmed case of swine flu? . This is a very important case because apparently no more case have been reported in this area in south Mexico.

April 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Kim

When should we begin to suspect a swine flu versus a typical cold or flu? If my kids don't seem so sick that they would warrant a hospital visit under ordinary circumstances, should I be more worried when they have fever and other symptoms now?

April 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Peggy

I'm in Cancun now. Should I be trying to come back to US now or wait until Saturday? What should I expect at airport ?

April 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@David Gergen...With Arlen Specter so established in his career, why wouldnt he just change to Independent? I would much rather have seen that happen.

12. Wayne

I had a flu shot last fall, will this protect me?

13. MarieAnne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

I think to get 'immunity' from these viruses that keep on mutating and getting new strains - equip your body with lots of vitamins, healthy, balanced mix of right nutrients - and practice good hygiene always!
    🙂

14. Janice

Hi Anderson, My mom is 83 and is going to be traveling on a plane, My concern is because of her age, if she gets sick this will kill her.do I need to get her a mask for her trip ?

thanks for the input

15. Josh

This comment is in reference to the New Haven firefighters that were discriminated aginst. This isn't an isolated incedence. The fire/ems community is riddled with reverse discrimination. I was deinied a job which was initially offered as a fire/emt in Florida because it turned out the hire list wasn't "diverse" enough. They scrapped the entire hire list and restarted the application process. I spent months going through testing and interviews only to loose out on a postion because of my skin color. I'm really glad these guys brought this widely practiced descrimination out into the light.

16. Kevin

When are we as a nation going to get over racisim of all kinds the fire fighter who got the higher grade should get the promotion regardless of race or gender period end of story.

17. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

People are really going to parnoid now they won't be able to tel the diffrence betwen flu's and which strain they have.

18. Jacqueline, NY

"A dose of knowledge, is very good medicine." I like that, Anderson. Did you coin that phrase?

19. Rebecca

Dr. Gupta,

I am set to do five days of leisure travel to NY from Colorado with my 10 month old daughter. I'm concerned about the swine flu spread while traveling, especially the plane flight. I am facing the prospect of cancelling my trip, or going to NY anyway. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Best,
    R–

20. -Nioshii-

Spectre's switch wasn't a big surprise to me, but it sure is good news for people who want to see more progress instead of constant gridlock.

David Gergen, check out some blogs! Some are very worthwhile :)Mark Nicholas at PoliticalBase has been writing about the possibility of Spectre switching parties for weeks if not months, -N-

21. Stephen

i am hiv positive. i have a healthy immune system am i more at risk then a hiv negative person. Am i at risk of death?

22. faith.

I am a driver of a 15 passenger vehicle at the airport dealing with passengers coming in town, should I wear a mask for protection now?

23. Elizabeth

What is the Symthomps of swine flu? is people in their 20s effected?

24. Amy Rothstein

I just want to know why the airlines is not doing their part in trying to put some measures in place to lessen the amount of cases that could be contracted through the air?
    How about putting in the machines that detect fever like systems, spraying the cabin in the plane.

25. Marilyn

If you had family members going to England for vacation next week for 10 days would you recommend they not go?

26. dennis

The courts that upheld the rulings not to promote the white firefighters are just more of the same liberal mindset nonsense thats destroying the constitution and this country in general.

27. joe

what are the early symptoms of the swine flu. my wife and i just returned from cancun and are feeling ok but concerned. help...?

April 28, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  28. David, Indiana

@Krasi, Houston TX I agree I felt better about the outbreak when I saw Dr. Gupta reporting on it.

@Isabel It does seem like a race against time. The only advantage that we have now is that we know what strains of flu are in this new swine flu virus.

One question for Dr. Gupta and Dr. Del Rio. Did the virus have such an impact in Mexico because people at first treated it like an ordinary flu? Are there places in Mexico where the flue has not yet made in roads?

Listening to answers now...so Sanjay and Dr. Del Rio agree that the summer heat will slow this virus down?

April 28, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  29. Cody

anderson,
    Race should not matter anymore. we need to move on its only going to hold us back. we are equal i mean we now have an African- American president now.

April 28, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Billy

Question for Dr. Gupta,

HIV and Swine Flu Virus, what happens when they collide? Being since HIV patients can not take flu vacinations.

Billy
    Los Angeles

April 28, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Brandi - bottom of the boot

i dont like Dr. Gupta being down there when he has an infant at home! you better quarantine yourself until you are sure you havent contracted it! 😀

April 28, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Eric

How is the swine flu affecting the average doctor office procedures to diagnose? My wife just called the doctor for some medication to cure something not at all related to the flu. However, the extent to the probing was, "Have you been to Mexico, been in contact with anyone from Mexico, or someone whom recently visited Mexico?" We are just outside of Philadelphia and my wife is a teacher in Philadelphia. How is she supposed to know the true answer to this? I am not suggesting that she has it the swine flu, but this seemed like a very weak procedure. At what point do they make a major change to protocol?

April 28, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Becky

After returning from Mexico, how long is a person contagious?
    My relatives returned from there on April 18..

April 28, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  34. Shehan Jayawardena, Milwaukee WI

The only thing that needs to be determined is that all firefighters were given the same examination guidelines and knew what was at stake regardless of race.... if the answer to that is a YES. Then YES this is discrimination...

April 28, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  35. Bill

With respect to the fire fighters.. I would rather have the guy or gal who is the smartest and best able to do the job rather then worry about race or color.. If the city wants to create a better balance then give extra training to the races if required. Don't drop the standards

April 28, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Dawn

I am sure I have this flu. I called my doctor to make an appointment to come in and see what could be done for treatment, she said to not come to the office, I would spread the virus. Instead, I was told to stay home and call her if I got worst? Is this the only treatment for this flu? I have never felt this bad in my life! Between the fever, chills, headache, and body aches it is horrible!

April 28, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  37. nathon smith

Do the city deem the test the firefighter took to be racially bias? What was their purpose to withdraw the test results? How do other firefighters across the state, country promote firefighters.

April 28, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  38. barb

how well does the hand sanitizers work????????????????

April 28, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  39. Dan

Dr. Gupta

Large crowds and mass transportation can be risky, what about Cruise lines. I can only imagine it takes one person with the Swine virus and one large cruise lines heading to the USA.

April 28, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  40. Lou

I am concerned about friends currently on a Norwegian Line cruise. According to the itenerary they were in Acupulco for the weekend and Puerto Vallerta yesterday. They are currently underway enroute Los Angeles. Has there been anydiscussion of a quarantine for situations like this where people are underway enroute from Mexican territories and waters?

April 28, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Veronica

Milkmaids developed an immunity to smallpox because they were exposed to cowpox. Is there something equvalent plants or anmals that would help someone develop the necessary immunity.

April 28, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Eric P

What about infants and toddlers? How will they get treatment? They can't take tamiflu can they?

April 28, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  43. James McAllister M.D.

AC,

I find that the hysteria that is being generated by the USA media is feeding the fear in the general population in the USA and in Mexico.

Swine Flu Facts:
    Suspected cases in Mexico, over 4,000, suspected deaths 158.
    Confirmed cases (World Health Organization stats this morning) confirmed cases 28, confirmed deaths 6. There are more confirmed cases in New York City than in the whole country of Mexico.

I am currently fielding over 150 calls a day with concerns of the flu. As with the Narco violence at the border, the swine Flu in Mexico is not wide spread as the media is making it out to be.

There are no confirmed cases of the swine flu in Los Cabos.

James McAllister M.D.
    Cabo San Lucas Baja California Sur Mexico

April 28, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Ron & Judi

How long is the incubation period for swine flu.

April 28, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Gary

Doctors, isn't it true that this flu is no worse than the regular old flu. Isn't it true that the cases in the U.S. have been mild, with only a very few hospitalized?

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  46. susan

Why are they not telling the cities that these infected people are in? Then people could avoid travel to those places and help with the spread of this flu. I wouldn`t travel to a city if i knew it was there.

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Michelle Pierce

Hi-I'm suposed to be leaving for a prepaid vacation to Riviera Maya Friday morning. Due to my work schedule, it's almost impossible to reschedule. I haven't heard anything about cases in this area. Is it safe to go, what are the odds the border will close & I will not be able to get back to Chicago if I'm down there? Do I go?

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  48. Amy, Wisconsin

I have a question, how long does it take from initial time of infection of swine flu until you start feeling symptoms?

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  49. Benita

15 years ago at a toronto university printing dept., the school hired a white male because it practiced too much minority hiring. I support the firefighter's belief.

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  50. Darius Holiday, Bronx, NY USA

Darius
    From The Bronx,

Good Evening Anderson Cooper, Erica Hill and the 360 Team. I have a question Dr. Sanjay Gupta. Do I need to start wearing a mask. I work with the public. Daily.

April 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm |