April 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 04/28/09

Here's your chance to comment on tonight's show. Discuss the swine flu outbreak, Sen. Arlen Spector's party switch, and more with Anderson, Erica Hill, and the AC360° staff.

Don't miss Erica Hill's webcast on this (or change this sentence if needed) the commercials. Watch our WEBCAST

Want to know what else we're covering tonight? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Juanita

Dr Gupta,
    Since the swine flu is a viral infection, will anti-bacterial hand sanitizer kill the virus? Also, are the airlines taking precautions such as wiping down the plane between flights?

April 28, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  2. David

I can't understand why a 79 yr old Senator is worried about re-election. Shouldn't he be enjoying his life out of D.C. ? Why don't we have term limits ?

April 28, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Ashley - Hamlin, NY

I am torn between finishing watching AC360 and going upstairs to bathe in Purell after Kaye's report. Ugh.

April 28, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  4. Iran

my baby has a fever for the last 3 day she is not eating well and does not show flue like symptoms.

April 28, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  5. Elizabeth

I have not heard anyone comment on this important question:

Once exposed to swine flu, how long will it take before first symptoms become obvious?

Thanks,

April 28, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Jean-Jacques Lalou

I'm planning a week vacation from 05/05/2009 to 05/12/2009
    in Los Cabos (Mexico) far away from Mexico-Cirty
    Is it safe to go there via a direct flight from Houston,Tx and back ?
    Thank you in advance for your advice.
    J.J. Lalou

April 28, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  7. Anita

Good evening from a nurse in Alaska!

My son and his family returned from a trip to Bucerias, Mexico on Feb. 2nd and all 4 became pretty sick with flu symptoms. (he had severe aching before he left) The 10 year old was sick for several days and suddenly developed a high fever (103). She was Dx with pneumonia in the E.R.

Should this be reported to anyone?

Thanks!

April 28, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Pablo

Hello Anderson:
    We got here in Mexico a different numbers, the gov say that there are 20 comfirm deads and more than 100 not confirm, and today mex gov correct this number to only 13 instead of 20 confirm deads, How come the mexican gov have diferent numbers than the ones you got?

Saludossss

April 28, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Linda

I handle mail orders that come from all over the world . How should I protect myself from the swine flu virus? How long can the virus live on the mail orders?

April 28, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  10. Margareta

Hi, I was wondering if I should avoid a cinco de Mayo celebration? There has not been any reports of the swine flu here ( Midland Texas) , but I am a little worried since I wouldn't know if anyone has been to Mexico. Thanks

April 28, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  11. Marie San Antonio, TX

If the boarder shut down how much of an impact will it have on the U.S. economy?

April 28, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Kathleen

We have 3 individuals, that we know of, being tested in my city, but none confirmed as yet. I have 3 children who were all premature at bith (28 weeks) and have done quite well, however 2 of them have a comprimised respiratory system. I have voluntarily quaranteened my children and kept them home from school as a precaution. I feel reducing the number of people thay are in contact with will reduce their risk at such an uncertain time. Am I over-reacting?

Kathleen

April 28, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Mona

The media is recommending the use of hand sanitizers, however, isn't that erroneous information? This flu, as any other, is caused by a VIRUS. Hand sanitzers kill BACTERIA, The ones that kill viruseses are not readily available, I believe, unless you are in the medical community. Please clarify to the viewing public and/or let us know what kind of hand sanitizers we should be purchasing.

14. Mark

Hello Anderson – I'm planning a trip in the next two weeks to california – just saw on CNN Cali declared a state of emergency – how safe is it to go?

15. Emma Ashtabula, Ohio

Dr. I heard that after the patients symptoms are gone they can still infect another person for 7 days. Is this true?
    Should people with a Primary Immune Deficiency wear an N95 mask when they have to ride public transportation or are in a crowd?
    Thank you.

16. Jacqueline, NY

alex "I find that the media is doing a mass scare, there are more than 12 million people in Mexico city alone 156 deaths? That’s what .001 % Truth please."

@ Alex and Mike, the big deal is that any one lost life is a precious one lost. Well, I like to believe so, anyway.

Once you die, you DIE! You're gone. There is no coming back and trying life again. So little seriousness is given to death as so little value is given to a life that one might ask, "What's the big deal?"

17. Bill in Newport

Can you explain why some have died as a result of the virus and others have not–for example patient zero–the little boy? He looked great and so did the family shown earlier. Did the fatalities have weakened immune systems? Were they older? or very young? Thanks. Great topic tonight.

18. Debbie

What type of mask works to decrease transmission of swine flu? I've read about N90, N95 and N100, the numbers standing for the percent of protection from the virus.

19. MarieAnne Sam - Alabang in the Philippines

It's simple hygiene! Always bring hankies and wash your hands before touching and getting something on your mouth! 🙂

20. Adam

Do you agree the death toll of swine flu is much higher in Mexico because of the lack of medicine. Opposed to here in the US.

21. Zachary Zolides

hello anderson, the flu is making its way to me in massachusetts

22. Elaine Pasqua

Arlen Specter has possessed the courage and integrity to cross party lines on numerous occasions and voted to represent the opinions of people of my state. We are proud!

23. Samantha M.

@ Jasmine and Rebekah – same for me, i'm the swine flu information source for my roommate right now. Whats even more disturbing is one person told me swine flu isn't real. I agree, Rebekah, people aren't understanding.

24. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

We must take Howie Mandel 's appraoch to hand shaking the fist bump .No germs will touvch the fingers or tips where it the worst cause for germs.

25. ericacnn

"Candy's absolutely right as she always is." Yet another reason to love David Gergen – so wise! 🙂

26. Sarah

Please, instead of showing us how a sneeze spreads through the subway, spend a few seconds showing people how to effectively wash their hands. (rub, rub rub!!!) Sounds simple, but amazingly, many people don't know how!

27. Patricia Koplas

I am a Biology professor and Physical Therapist in Charlotte, NC. I just saw your piece on how germs can be spread through contact on the subway. I think it would be very worthwhile to pass along to your viewers that it is better/safer to sneeze/cough into your elbow to cut down on the hand to surface contact vs. sneezing into your hand.
    thanks for the good coverage on your show.

28. Rebekah

@Anderson – thanks for asking about Specter "surviving" in politics... that's EXACTLY what i was wondering

29. Vikram

Question for Dr. Gupta:

What can I do to protect myself when my colleague sitting next to me sneezed. Sanitize myself?

30. Mike, Syaracuse, NY

@David Gergen, I don't see that the administration has done much of anything. The only hope to contain a spread would have been to close the boarder, cut air travel and quarantine anyone infected. They did none of that. Fortunately this flu seems no more fatal than usual.

I think Spectter switched just because it's better odds to win reelection.

31. Mike

Anderson, is there any chance that people who are sick with swine flu infected by one or possibly both strains?

32. Steven A Smith

What are the chances that the FAA will restrict domestic air travel in the coming days and weeks?

33. Lori from IL

@ David Gergen -

I think the administration is doing well with it's response to the swine flu. On Sunday they took the necessary action to release resources needed and at the same time did a good explanation of explaining the action so as not to cause people to panic.

I found Senator Specter's announcement today surprising. The republican party seems to be loosing members daily. The party of "no" obviously isn't working for them.

It's nice to see a Presidnet who thinks before he speaks and acts, makes an effort to keep his campaign promises and listens to both sides before making decisions. Who wouldn't want to be under that tent?

Thanks for blogging with us tonight.

34. Joel R White

I am glad to see they are close to a cure...I have ~ 6 labs in the High school/ Elementary school that I work in...what steps should i take? it would be hard for me to clean that many keyboards..or reminding them to wash their hands.

35. Scott

Have any pig/hog facilities in Mexico been compelled to undergo independent evaluations for the presence of swine flu?

36. mark

how about travel advisories

37. Michael M-Wilson

Hi Anderson

I have a question.

Has the virus been isolated from swines to call the outbreak swine flu?

Michael

38. Anthonia-california

@Jennifer-Its so strange how the bacteria is spreading like wildfire, i wonder if those people took a vaction to mexico and got the diease from there.

39. Kim

Hi Anderson,
    My questions are: Can an individual use Tamiflu more than once and can an individual get the Swine flu more than once and could there be long term side affects from contracting the Swine Flu?
    Thanks,
    Kim

40. eddy

Hersey's chocolate and other candies are now being manufactured
    in Mexico. Can swine flu virus contaminate these foods?

41. Minou, New York City

@ david gergen:
    is a "filibuster proof" senate really such an advantage? I mean, how many filibusters actually do happen?

42. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

When is Al Franken supposed to be certified. With him and Specter, that means a majority, a doesn't it?

43. Katie, Ft. Lauderdale, FL

oh my, as a germa-phobe that subway story made me very uncomfortable!

April 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Jennifer

Will the flu affect adults easier or children? Also in which way can you protect yourself?

April 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  45. starr formerly known as vincent

Hi David G (the Great):

I think that Arlen Spector had no choice but to switch if he wants to try and win in PA. I lived in Philadelphia when he was District Atty & Democrat.

He's a good man. The GOP apparently no longer has any more room for moderates and centrists!

April 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Gord (Montreal)

Hi Anderson and Erica I am glad that my employer allows me to telework so no more travelling less chance of getting exposed on the subway

April 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  47. andrea, nj

Spector. Didn't want to lose in 2010. He's out for self

April 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Mandy

As a New Yorker, I'm terrified after seeing that report about the subway. At what point should one avoid using public transportation in Manhattan at all costs? Also, how can Americans feel safe traveling in general when all the nation's graduation ceremonies are in the next two weeks?

April 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Stevie

Hi Anderson! Swine Flu has signs of being man made. This flu is spreading fast around the world. Some countries are closing their borders. They are changing the name of the Swine Flu as of today. It seems funny to change a name of a disease.

April 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  50. Nick Hugo

If you get the swine flu now and recover does that mean your immune to it if a potentially stronger mutated version of the virus strikes?

April 28, 2009 at 10:21 pm |